PDA

View Full Version : Skinning question

Compans
Apr-02-2014, 18:28
I've recently started skinning CLOD after much experience with IL2. I notice that when flying, the game automatically places rivets and panel lines on the aircraft even if you completely paint over them on the skin. Is there a way of getting rid of this or is it hardcoded? It's a little bit annoying for those of us who like to play with panel lines etc.

Thanks,

Comp

III./ZG76_Keller
Apr-02-2014, 19:35
It's hardcoded, you're stuck with them.

ATAG_Lewis
Apr-02-2014, 21:01
And....

Welcome to the community and forums Compans....~S~

Any questions then you've come to the right place....

Good to have you with us buddy...and remember its all about the Fun!!!

...lew...

Compans
Apr-02-2014, 21:42
Thanks for the answer and welcome. Bit of a shame about the hardcoding. Despite the beauty of the game it makes the whole business of skinning a bit limited.

S! Comp

Mysticpuma
Apr-02-2014, 22:18
Good to.see you taking an interest in CloD Compans. The game really is beautiful.and I'm sure you'll get round the HC panels and rivets with some awesome paintwork. Nice to.see a name from the past turning up here :)

Cheers, MP

Compans
Apr-03-2014, 15:51
Good to.see you taking an interest in CloD Compans. The game really is beautiful.and I'm sure you'll get round the HC panels and rivets with some awesome paintwork. Nice to.see a name from the past turning up here :)

Cheers, MP

Thanks MP. It's quite strange to see how beautiful these models naturally are and it makes me question the usefulness of skinners anymore. Which is a good thing as it'll lead to innovation. The whole genre really has taken a leap forward (my PC's been ancient for years - just had an upgrade) and the clips from Battle of Stalingrad look fantastic with some top of the line skinning there. The future looks rosy.

S! Comp

Robo.
Apr-04-2014, 09:16
Hello Compans, I was a fan of yours in the old Il-2 1946, your style was very unique and quite different. My favourite was the GZ-L Hurricane :thumbsup:

Anyway - yes unfortunately this sim has got layers of *.dds files rather than one single bitmap. It is mainly due to how weathering works in CloD and you're able to use a slider to change the opacity of the weathering layer ranging from 'factory fresh' to 'jesus is this thing still flying???'. OTOH BoS is using pretty much an identical style to RoF.

Compans
Apr-04-2014, 14:24
The weathering thing's ok I guess. What I don't like is that you're stuck with someone else's very neat idea of what panel lines and rivets looked like. Ah well, it's a beautifully rendered world nonetheless.

KeefyBoy
Apr-07-2014, 01:36
Welcome Buddy

KeefyBoy
Apr-07-2014, 02:08
Hi Compans
Although the Lines and Rivets are HC they are on the whole very subtle
and hardly show in Game and I have found that adding lines and rivets and even 3D versions of both
do make a big difference to the finished skins and with the Layer Opacity slider
this can be as bold or subtle as You want.
Anyway its ALL about the Paint Scheme the Lines and Rivets are Incidental to the overall result
and as beautiful as the Texture & Modelling is, as with il2-1946 the Default Skins and Markings can be greatly improved upon
in look and Historical accuracy.
There will always be need for Custom Made skins,just check out the ones that have already been done.
Welcome aboard Mate and give it a go.
I am sure with your vast experience
the results will be great.
Regards
Keith

major_setback
Apr-07-2014, 08:04
You can also tone down the lines/rivets by adding a corresponding lighter line/rivet to your own skin to neutralise the effect of the dark panel lines.

The lines can be seen here on theses templates (for all aircraft) I took from the old CliffsofDover.fr site:

http://airwarfare.com/sow/index.php/downloads/viewdownload/11-templates/506-all-cod-templates

Unfortunately these aren't multi-layered templates and you have to trace the lines yourself, or select them in some other way. However, you can treat these as official templates. There is wear on some of them, and it is the same as the wear shown in the game, and the panel lines are the same. So they are a combination of panel-line (and rivet) and wear layers.

cheers