Rate this Entry
The top Five Luftwaffe Aces of World War 2

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Erich_Hartmann.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	37056
1) Erich “Bubi” Hartmann – 352

The Germans called him Bubi, but the Soviets called him the Black Devil. He was the highest scoring pilot fighter ace in the history of aerial warfare. He was only 20 years old, when he engaged in combat, in 1942.
This was his advice in flying combat:
Once committed to an attack, fly in at full speed. After scoring crippling or disabling hits, I would clear myself and then repeat the process. I never pursued the enemy once they had eluded me. Better to break off and set up again for a new assault. I always began my attacks from full strength, if possible, my ideal flying height being 22,000 ft because at that altitude I could best utilize the performance of my aircraft. Combat flying is based on the slashing attack and rough maneuvering. In combat flying, fancy precision aerobatic work is really not of much use. Instead, it is the rough maneuver which succeeds.”

Name:	Barkhorn.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	37057
2) Gerhard “Gerd” Barkhorn – 301 kills

Name:	Gunther Rall.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	37058
3) Gunther Rall – 275 kills

Name:	Otto Kittel.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	13.7 KB 
ID:	37059
4) Otto Kittel – 267 kills

Name:	Wilhelm_Batz.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	10.6 KB 
ID:	37060
5) Wilhelm “Willie” Batz – 237 kills

Submit "The top Five Luftwaffe Aces of World War 2" to Digg Submit "The top Five Luftwaffe Aces of World War 2" to del.icio.us Submit "The top Five Luftwaffe Aces of World War 2" to StumbleUpon Submit "The top Five Luftwaffe Aces of World War 2" to Google

Comments