Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lets discuss the Beau

Team Fusion
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    497.6 KB

Talking Re: Lets discuss the Beau

Speaking of Beaufighters...check out what my work buddy brought to work this week! He brings his models for display on my desk, which I think is both agreeable and elegant. Wildcat is currently in production.

Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    205.55 MB

Re: Lets discuss the Beau

+1 to air spawns for the Beaufighter. Great idea!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    365.25 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Snapper View Post
    Here’s a thought:

It’s not likely we’ll see any tweaks of this nature coming through in the near future, the TFS coder is away on personal Real Life business for the time being. One idea the ATAG members are thinking of as a stopgap is to create an airspawn for the Beaufighter somewhere quite far inland (Hornchurch? Biggin Hill?) and at low altitude say, 2 angels). Normal ground spawns would still be available. This would encourage players with a limited amount of flying time to jump into a Beau for a sortie rather than resort to the faster startup of a Spit or Hurricane.

Although the Luftwaffe aircraft aren’t subject to the same extreme start up times, would it still make sense, on balance, to likewise have one Blue multi-engine with a low-altitude, inland air spawn? If so, which one would be best for this? Just thinking out loud here, but the objective is purely for playability enjoyment, not to just get “gamey”. We could try it on one map and see how it goes.

For anyone who has never tried an airspawn, simply log into our “Beta 4.53” server. The airspawns were invaluable for the repetitive testing that was needed.

Post your thoughts here. If the overall consensus is positive, we can get airspawns introduced fairly quickly.

You can marry my sister and have many babies.
    https://imgur.com/VCUiXpY

5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

if it helps people enjoy the game more there's nothing to object to?

if its like for like then it would be 110Cs wouldn't it?
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

" Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"

5. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Quote Originally Posted by BOO View Post
    if it helps people enjoy the game more there's nothing to object to?

if its like for like then it would be 110Cs wouldn't it?
    That’s what we were thinking, BOO, although apparently the 110 doesn’t have a pronounced warmup period. I would like to hear from 88/111/Br20 pilots to see if an airspawn (low altitude/inland) would be a factor in opting to fly them. If we have enough pilots who could say, “Yeah, that would get me to fly the XXX more!” — then great. The idea is not to give any tactical advantage (hence the low altitude/inland aspect), but just to encourage a better mix of opposing aircraft.

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

7. Likes ATAG_Highseas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.58 GB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Snapper View Post
    That’s what we were thinking, BOO, although apparently the 110 doesn’t have a pronounced warmup period.
    Well Snap, the reason the 110 doesn't need time to warm up is because it is a hot plane flown by hot pilots

Er... or so they tell me....
    "If you want to fly, give up everything that weighs you down"......

9. Likes ATAG_Snapper, ATAG_Highseas, danperin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

How long does it take to warm up a Blenni these days BTW? Shouldnt these be considered to? As the only Red bomber perhaps it should be given the same love if the argument is for more of a mix. Unlike the 88s and 111s that can just roll if every Blenni restart takes several minutes that would be a blocker id imagine.

TBH is the tac advantage isnt there and its more a case of giving players a chance to fly a bigger model without the hassle (comparative) of multi engine start ups and takes offs then airstarts from the back of the map could be extended wider to all the twins.
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.11 MB

I say do it!

If it is low..make sure the throttle/ pitch and rad settings are in a safe setting. No time to mess with them. Good idea!
    Last edited by ATAG_Ribbs; Mar-09-2018 at 11:01.
    Cheers
    Ribbs

INTEL I5 4670 /16 MB DDR3/ MSI Z97 PCMATE MB
    MSI GTX 1060 3 GIG
    WIN 7 64
    MS Sidewinder 2 precision pro Saitek x52 throttle quadrant

By ATAG_Lewis

Supporting Member 9./JG52 gr00ve's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    259.12 MB

hm....air spawned beaus without fighter cover flying across england.....i have to say, i like it!
    "Karaya Eins"

My YouTube Channel
    "The secret of good teamwork is to work as a team" - 9./JG52 Mindle, 2019
    Warthog HOTAS - MFG Crosswind - Saitek Throttle Quadrant - TrackIR 5 - i7 4770K - Asrock Z87 Killer - Gigabyte GTX1080 G1 Gaming - Corsair 16 GB - Kingston SSD 120 GB - Samsung SSD 240GB - 3 TB storage - Razer Megalodon

13. Likes ATAG_Snapper, BOO, ATAG_Highseas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 9./JG52 gr00ve View Post
    hm....air spawned beaus without fighter cover flying across england.....i have to say, i like it!
    Absolutely! And, unlike their ground-spawning counterparts, no protection from anti-aircraft. So, it’s not ideal unless the air spawning Beaufighters can pre-arrange fighter CAPs ahead of time.

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Quote Originally Posted by 9./JG52 gr00ve View Post

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

the Beau is a long punching Heavyweight with a limited vocabulary. The 110 is a little more Frank Bruno in that it can also muddle through the occasional Pantomime
    Hahahahahaha!

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    121.95 MB

The BR.20 has by far the longest warmup time of any Axis plane - I imagine having an airspawn for this would go down very well.

"Speed is life. Altitude is life insurance. Surprise is key."

~ AMD FX-4100 3.6GHz (OC to 4GHz) ~ 8GB RAM ~ ASUS GTX1050Ti Phoenix 4GB ~
    T.16000M ~ TWCS Throttle ~ TFRP Pedals ~ DIY IR Headtracker

18. Likes ATAG_Ribbs, ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_kiwiflieger View Post
    The BR.20 has by far the longest warmup time of any Axis plane - I imagine having an airspawn for this would go down very well.
    Good input. If this encourages more pilots to fly the Br20, then it’s worth a try IMHO.

20. Likes ATAG_Dave, ATAG_Ribbs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Last Beau I started heated up in mear seconds.

But then thats what a 109 can do to you when you are sat just staring at a radiator gauge.

It doesnt actually bother me the warm up time.

I think the logic that this is because it is carburated not fuel injected is a nonsence mind given that it's the internal combsution that heats an engine block, not its fuel delivery system...

but also have no issue with allowing a low air spawn... sounds like a really good compromise.

Last edited by ATAG_Highseas; Mar-09-2018 at 18:52.

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

I do not know, airspawns kills the fun for me, using that leave going into flames and crash the only left thing to do. I enjoy the startup procedure, make me feel I am a pilot, until my demise prove I am not.
    But I guess a alternative for all should be given

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

I'm with Lusekofte here.

If these airspawns will really get more people to fly the Beau then do it.
    But I will most probably not use them. Engine start procedure (even if the warming up might be a bit long), setting the compasses, taxiing, take off ... that's just a big part of the fun for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Sorry folks, I should have mentioned that normal ground cold starts would still remain in place unchanged. Not just for the purists, but also for the squads that like to organize and execute mass take offs.

25. Likes BOO liked this post
    Team Fusion
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    497.6 KB

I'm with Lusekofte and Derda. There's a lot of flight planning that can happen in the cockpit during warmup. I often find myself exceeding the warmup, because I sometimes want accurate low altitude nav and spend the time drawing it out. Some of us like the nitty gritty. If I already have everything planned out, I can Alt-Tab out and read an article or grab some goodies and drinks.

I think though it'd be fine to have a single mission in the rotation that would include one air spawn. That would trigger others to give it a try. Might also create a hot zone for campers that could mix things up.

-Z

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

The only advantages that the airspawn proposed is going to likely give is for players to be actually doing something other than waiting. Since there will also be cold starts I see no problems and its a good solution for everyone.

The only things id ask is for the airspawn to be some distance, and not in a line with, any similar type's cold start locations. We don't want Gr00ve to have too much choice now do we?

And just upvoting myself here but please consider the blenni and the BR20 for this too.

If I'm being selfish, the BOOmer events would be a lot more practicable if anyone stuffing their aircraft (or having it stuff for them by bad spawn points) didn't automatically get a 5-15 minute warm up penalty.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

The only advantages that the airspawn proposed is going to likely give is for players to be actually doing something other than waiting. Since there will also be cold starts I see no problems and its a good solution for everyone.

The only things id ask is for the airspawn to be some distance, and not in a line with, any similar type's cold start locations. We don't want Gr00ve to have too much choice now do we?

And just upvoting myself here but please consider the blenni and the BR20 for this too.

If I'm being selfish, the BOOmer events would be a lot more practicable if anyone stuffing their aircraft (or having it stuff for them by bad spawn points) didn't automatically get a 5-15 minute warm up penalty.
    Yep, as you probably saw, I included the Blennie and Br20 because of their lengthy cold starts. Even threw in the 110 even though I don’t believe they take very long to be combat ready. I specified low altitude, inland airspawns to negate any tactical advantage to airspawns.

I had a detailed TeamSpeak discussion with one of our frequent online players. He recounted that the other night he was vulched and killed 14 (count ‘em: 14! ) times sitting in an idling Blenheim before he was able to successfully launch in his 15th Blennie. He wasn’t complaining; he said he was admiring the effective airfield suppression by the enemy and that he would do exactly the same if the tables were turned. Not all players would have that kind of patience or dogged determination. They would likely go to another server or even a different air simulation. This player also mentioned that it is frustrating to sit through a full warmup, then be killed while taxiing due to an unseen ditch or collision with another player.

I thought the specified airspawns would be worth a try as a work around to the long warm ups as a choice for those who wished. Clearly further study is required.

29. Likes BOO, ATAG_Pattle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    205.55 MB

Just want to clarify that I am supporting the idea of air spawns as a short-term measure until the long warm-up time can be remedied.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.11 MB

The only problem I have..and it's not an issue with the airspawns.. it's how the Carburated aircraft are portrayed in the game. If we are playing Raiders..and the ambient temperature is winter and cold..then I can understand a Carburated engine sputtering the way it does. If it's spring and summer and it's warm..a properly tuned Carburated engine shouldn't cough and sputter for 3-5 min. Air spawns are a good idea in this case.
    Cheers
    Ribbs

INTEL I5 4670 /16 MB DDR3/ MSI Z97 PCMATE MB
    MSI GTX 1060 3 GIG
    WIN 7 64
    MS Sidewinder 2 precision pro Saitek x52 throttle quadrant

By ATAG_Lewis

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    365.25 MB

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    365.25 MB

Rad 100% open admittedly and jumped the gun a couple of times wanting to open the throttle more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Sp00k,

On ya for sticking to your guns so far, the result of which will hopefully benefit everyone. Snapper and ATAG with those options, I think the possiblity for having a few more "allcommers" events is opened up again.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 69th_Zeb View Post
    I'm with Lusekofte and Derda. There's a lot of flight planning that can happen in the cockpit during warmup. I often find myself exceeding the warmup, because I sometimes want accurate low altitude nav and spend the time drawing it out. Some of us like the nitty gritty. If I already have everything planned out, I can Alt-Tab out and read an article or grab some goodies and drinks.

I think though it'd be fine to have a single mission in the rotation that would include one air spawn. That would trigger others to give it a try. Might also create a hot zone for campers that could mix things up.

-Z
    This is so true, and one of the reasons I never really gotten into BOX series. These small things like startup procedure , more complex internal DM , and a directional Autopilot that make me feel is realistic . I am now in the prosess installing Blitz in my new PC . And I will oonly choose airspawn if there is no time for anything else on the end of a mission, or all the airfields my Beufighter can spawn is under attack. BTW I have noticed a huge imbalance in favour of Red the few times I visited, is this the norm now a days?

36. Likes 69th_Zeb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    116.50 MB

I guess if we have airspawns, purist may ignore them and others like new pilots are free to use them without having an advantage. Just don't sacrifice QoL stuff for many for the sake of immersion of few veterans.

o7
    John Lydgate: “You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

38. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_PanTast View Post
    I guess if we have airspawns, purist may ignore them and others like new pilots are free to use them without having an advantage. Just don't sacrifice QoL stuff for many for the sake of immersion of few veterans.

o7
    Exactly. The best of both worlds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_PanTast View Post

o7
    That's why I said: Let's have them, even if I probably will not use them.

Actually I am really more concerned with the lack of targets for the Beau.
    This morning we had 'War' but there are just airfields to attack, which will not really work without bombs (we took Blennies then and managed to drop everything on Caffiers, I think, before being shot to pieces by flak without getting any success message, but that's another thing).

The artillery base on the Dunkirk map is perfect Beaufighter fodder, instead. Lots of single soft targets to take out, some easy, some difficult to spot and its tricky to attack the column on the street because of the trees. Doable with two Beaufighters, maybe even one, if your aim is better than mine
    Last edited by DerDa; Mar-11-2018 at 13:35.

41. Likes PanTast liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast