Thread: Eighty years ago tonight…..

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Eighty years ago tonight…..

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Re: Eighty years ago tonight…..

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Snapper View Post
    Hats off to the audacity of this raid

…and heads down to commemorate the 1600 civilians killed by the flood
    Gigabyte Z390 UD | i7 9700K @3.60GHz | 16.0 GB | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pro rudder pedals | TrackIR 5 | TeamSpeak 3.3.2 | TS Notifier 1.6.0h

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

4. Likes emmett_grogan, ATAG_TCP, Dauntless liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

I'm sure that many of us are aware of The Dambuster's Inn.......

(https://www.dambustersinn.co.uk/)

........which stands on the western side of the famous Scampton airfield......... and is crammed full of photo's, bits of aircraft (including a huge tyre from the undercarriage unit of a Lanc) newspaper cuttings, documents and aviation photos of all sorts all around the pub. The ale there is superb and a really pleasant hour can be spent wandering around, pint in hand, reading all the info on the walls. The list of missing from Operation Chastise makes for especially poignant reading. I was lucky enough to visit with my dear old Dad a few years before he left us! Cherished memories!

'Pop over' to visit the pub if you get the chance. You won't regret it!

In the village of Scampton, five minutes from the pub, lies Scampton Church.......

https://scamptonchurch.org/war-graves/

........which is the final resting place of a great many brave airmen, many of whom were based at Scampton. As we all know, aircraft would struggle home, battling against flak and fighters with wounded on board. The injured would be first out of the aircraft but many were unable to survive their wounds and were subsequently buried in the church yard at Scampton. Notable names include John Hanna V.C. and eight Luftwaffe personel who died when their Ju 88 crashed near the airfield, during an intruder raid in 1941. Of course, they were buried with full military honours.

Best to visit the churchyard first and then 'cheer yourself up' with a fantastic pint at the Dambuster's afterwards! Salute!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Last Saturday I stopped in at the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum (about an hour’s drive) to attend a presentation of the Dambuster Raid. It was conducted literally in the shadow of “Vera”, one of only two flying Lancasters (the other is in England). Lots of interesting details of the raid itself and some fascinating behind-the-scenes facts about the 1951 movie.

Afterwards I went upstairs to visit the staff in The Radio Room. One of the fellows, John, had an operating radio which he had restored - it was common to both the Lanc and the Welly. He was fascinated about CLOD’s Wellingtons. He demonstrated a functioning FLRC gauge which is IDENTICAL to the one in our Wellington. He grinned when I described The Wimpey Squad. John is senior in years (not like us youngsters!), but I promised him I would sent him a short clip of our Wellies in action along with our FLRC. I will surprise him with the Lorenz Beacon, too.

I was inspired by ATAG_Lenny to buy a Sustaining Membership to the Museum (I got a senior’s discount, Lenny! ) which I plan to use on a regular basis.

The fellows in the Radio Room were very welcoming…then I found out why. “So…how would you like to join up with us as a volunteer?” LOL I begged off, but these affable gents are not done with me yet, I’m sure!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Marlow View Post
    … a really pleasant hour can be spent wandering around, pint in hand …
    You can make a pint last one hour? Oh the humanity!
    Gigabyte Z390 UD | i7 9700K @3.60GHz | 16.0 GB | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pro rudder pedals | TrackIR 5 | TeamSpeak 3.3.2 | TS Notifier 1.6.0h

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Noofy View Post
    You can make a pint last one hour? Oh the humanity!
    Ha haaaaagggghhhhhh!

Well, I did....cos I was driving but the Dear Old Dad sank at least three!

It was a good day! Scampton was fully operational at the time (not long before covid!) so we saw a lot of training taking place with the Red Arrows. Riveting stuff! Salute!

9. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Too bad Peter Jackson's movie never panned out... - I wonder if it all came down to the name of the dog...

11. Likes Cybermat47 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Oersted View Post
    Too bad Peter Jackson's movie never panned out... - I wonder if it all came down to the name of the dog...
    Yes, that was a bit of a disappointment to all of us, Oersted. I'm just hoping that when things improve his enthusiasm will drive him to reconsider. Fingers crossed!