Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: VKB Gunfighter

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

Re: VKB Gunfighter

What I am trying to say is that perhaps I have a Cougar, or a Warthog, or CH or something else, why is VKB for me.

I have been around the block a few times over the years with simming, as a lot of us have, and just wonder if these folks are not maybe missing a trick.

In contrast and by example, MFG for instance, really (somehow) took the ambiguity out of it all when they hit the market
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4036&dateline=1382347  940

If it's brown, shoot it down!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Vlerkies View Post
    What I am trying to say is that perhaps I have a Cougar, or a Warthog, or CH or something else, why is VKB for me.

I have been around the block a few times over the years with simming, as a lot of us have, and just wonder if these folks are not maybe missing a trick.

In contrast and by example, MFG for instance, really (somehow) took the ambiguity out of it all when they hit the market
    The mechanism. Simple as that.

The VKB mechanism is well thought out.

(whether it is well executed when it is built will come down to other factors, but as a design, its solid in principle.)

MFG or Slaw pedals same... the design is well thought out. Manufacturing is also superb.

The Warthog gimbal design is daft from a mechanical point of view. Really daft.

It's about as convoluted a method of making an X Y axis as you could dream up. A vertically moving plunger.

I'm not keen in the least.

I still think its really odd that nobody made a better gimbal for the warthog stick.

So I think that is it... (is for me at least) the VKB mechanism makes sense from an engineering point of view.
    Last edited by ATAG_Highseas; Mar-20-2017 at 13:15.

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Highseas View Post
    So I think that is it... (is for me at least) the VKB mechanism makes sense from an engineering point of view.
    Don't dispute that, as with the Cougar the default Warthog gimbel is less than an engineering masterpiece.

It's probably just me, but I just find the site and the offering/s less than clear.

I had a Cougar once that was also ridiculous stock, with a U2Nxt mod + hals it was still the best hotas I ever owned, way better than the Hog imho.
    Still gutted I sold it.
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4036&dateline=1382347  940

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Don't dispute that, as with the Cougar the default Warthog gimbel is less than an engineering masterpiece.

It's probably just me, but I just find the site and the offering/s less than clear.

I had a Cougar once that was also ridiculous stock, with a U2Nxt mod + hals it was still the best hotas I ever owned, way better than the Hog imho.
    Still gutted I sold it.
    Nope... that's definitely not just you.. that's true enough.

The European site is... erm... yeah.... the USA one is better, but again its limited. Its a carbon copy of the Russian site. The South American one is probably the most informative.

I read about the Cougar U2Nxt mod... looked like a superb upgrade. It's why is so odd that nothing like that came along (third party) for the Warthog.

I think if it were not for Cliffs of Dover I'd never have heard about VKB. or Slaw or MFG for that matter.

If I was starting out again now and had minimal budget I'd go with CH Pro all the way. It's certainly (as at todays date) what I would recommend to new players

chucking the sort of cash at peripherals I seemingly have requires two things...

a love of Clod (or similar sim) and a huge amount of patient time slowly upgrading.

The love of Clod would have kept me here irrespective !

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

5. Likes Vlerkies, 9./JG52 Kettarian_Fox liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

By design the Cougar gimbels were made from cheap soft pseudo metal alloy, that even if brand new were rubbish and far from smooth and wore over time. The rest of the hotas offered a lot though!
    IJ designed and produced the gimbels, and I dont often compliment a kiwi but work of art right there, together with CubPilot (hals) produced a wonderful mod.

Plug an play, no dummies guide required. It was really sweet but the way the Cougar was designed inadvertently allowed for that.

I have modded the springs on my Hog with customs tensions I had made up, but if VKB offers something better, I will 9 out of 10 times throw money at it.

my old cougar u2nxt, stick side
    cgr.jpg
    Last edited by Vlerkies; Mar-20-2017 at 14:38.

7. Likes 9./JG52 Kettarian_Fox liked this post
    Supporting Member 9./JG52 Kettarian_Fox's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.0 KB

I agree with Vlerkies re:deficiencies of communication VKB is demonstrating.
    Have no problem with their product though being a proud owner of the latest Mamba with a cam-based loading mechanism, which might just be the finest piece of mechanical engineering I have ever had the honour to hold in my hands.

The only thing that bothers me is a lowish tension even using the most powerful springs, when combined with an extension and a Warthog stick - good for helicopters, but somewhat lacking for airplanes...
    Which is why I ordered a Gunfighter a couple of month back lol

9. Likes Vlerkies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

I have modded the springs on my Hog with customs tensions I had made up, but if VKB offers something better, I will 9 out of 10 times throw money at it.
    For use Warthog/Cougar grip are alternatives:

VKB Gunfighter base standalone - when (if) available.

http://vkbcontrollers.com/?product=v...hter-base-only

- Not cheap, but more affordable than UberNXT at time.

Baur BRD base is other option - too low available.

https://forum.il2sturmovik.ru/topic/...18#entry443905

- Baur base is probable the one more suitable for ones in the "Quest for the Feel Simulation".

VirPil T-50 base - when (IF) available.

https://virpil.com/en/blog/43-mongoost-50-mechanism

- This will be the more affordable option.
    Last edited by 1lokos; Mar-20-2017 at 15:21.

11. Likes Vlerkies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 1lokos View Post
    For use Warthog/Cougar grip are alternatives:

VKB Gunfighter base standalone - when (if) available.

http://vkbcontrollers.com/?product=v...hter-base-only
    Thanks 1lokos

Now as a replacement 'base' for my hotas stick component that may very well interest me, as I can envisage by looking at the pictures that the gimbel design is better than the stock hog plastic.
    So unplug the stick handle and use that base I assume instead?

What does 'turnable axis' mean in the product description, is that rudder for those that dont have it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Thanks 1lokos

Now as a replacement 'base' for my hotas stick component that may very well interest me, as I can envisage by looking at the pictures that the gimbel design is better than the stock hog plastic.

What does 'turnable axis' mean in the product description, is that rudder for those that dont have it?
    using the warthog / couger stick on eth VKB base requires and additional PCB to be wired into the stick. (I ordered the bas and the PCB).

Turntable axis (as far as I understand it) just means you can clamp the stick from 0 degrees (ie straight) to another offset as you like...

no idea why you would want to do that though.

presumably a comfort thing?!

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

14. Likes Vlerkies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

(I ordered the bas and the PCB).
    Would be very interested to hear your impressions when you have it all setup and have had some time to test it out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Is not exactly "PnP", is required open Warthog (Cougar) Grip, remove their connector part, fit VKB electronic adapter under original Shift Register PCB, install VKB adapter and then "plug" on VKB base.

This parts - optional not included in Gunfighter base:

http://vkbcontrollers.com/?product=v...for-gunfighter

To "play" is need update VKB firmware, load the profile suitable for Warthog through VKB DevCfg software.

The process is similar to install this early adapter - without electronic circuit:

http://forum.vkb-sim.pro/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2178

Is not difficult, some people do "in a minute", but some people mess with this.

This "Tunable axes" can mean:

Is possible set response curves, deadzone, "dual rate", trim "cheater"... for axes in VKB DevCfg and save then in controller EPROM - instead use a memory hungry Windows software running in games background.

But can mean to:

Is possible "tuning" the axis feel trough exchange CAM profile and/or springs and "dry clutch" adjust.
    Last edited by 1lokos; Mar-20-2017 at 18:32.

17. Likes 9./JG52 Kettarian_Fox, Vlerkies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

Not exactly "PnP", is required open Warthog (Cougar) Grip, remove their connector part, fit VKB electronic adapter under original Shift Register PCB, install VKB adapter and the "plug" on VKB base.

This parts - optional not included in Gunfighter base:

http://vkbcontrollers.com/?product=v...for-gunfighter

To "play" is need, update VKB firmware, load the profile suitable for Warthog through VKB DevCfg software.

Similar to this early adapter - without electronic adapter:

http://forum.vkb-sim.pro/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2178

Is not difficult, some people do "in a minute", but some people mess with this.

This "Tunable axes" can mean:

Is possible set response curves, deadzone, "dual rate", trim "cheater"... for axes in VKB DevCfg and save then in controller EPROM - instead use a memory hungry Windows software running in games background.

But can mean to:

Is possible "tuning" the axis feel trough exchange CAM profile and/or springs and "dry clutch" adjust.
    Seems easy enough. Thank you again for your very useful and informative input 1lokos

Is there a VKB page on their website that explains this?
    So me as an average simmer with a warthog, who has heard about this great hardware and hardware mods, can go to and see exactly what I need to buy and how i must configure it?
    It's this part of the marketing I think that is letting them down a bit.

Again, not knocking the hardware, actually it looks pretty darn good, just info like this seems less obvious to a prospective customer. (unless i missed it of course )

edit: how about a Warthog KIT page? have warthog want to convert, this is what you need and how to do it?
    Last edited by Vlerkies; Mar-20-2017 at 17:32.

Supporting Member 9./JG52 Kettarian_Fox's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.0 KB

Just as Sokol written above - you take your Warthog stick apart, pull some stuff out, put the adapter in, put the stick back together. Very easy, if your hands grow from the right place. Took me 15 minutes or thereabouts.
    I imagine the new one for the Gunfighter will be similar.
    The only critique I have to offer is that they didn't account for the shifted center of gravity that this stick has - and it's one heavy stick, actually heavier than the Mamba base that I have. Well sorta they did, by including a special cam for pitch axis, for Warthog sticks only - much better solution though would've been to shift the point of connection through the adapter to the front, by 2 cm or so. I've suggested it to them, but judging from their announcements they are doing it like before for the Gunfighter.
    The problem with that special cam for me is that it has a defined center - basically you know when you go through the center point like with most joysticks, because there is a bump. And I really like to have no center at all - perfect for helis and prop planes which is what I fly nowadays. You can do with normal cams in Mamba with the second strongest set of springs and a bit of calibration for desktop, however using an extention - and it's a long one they offer, I think almost 20 cm - even with the strongest set of springs with a Warthog stick it leans quite a bit forward.
    Solved it by installing the base leaning a bit towards me and slightly to the right in my cockpit, but am really looking for the Gunfighter with it's stronger springs and a possibility to mount two springs on one axis.

And yes you can turn your stick anticlockwise, both desktop and with an extension. 15 degrees is the limit in the Gunfighter, Mamba I'm unsure but it works for me))

20. Likes Vlerkies, ATAG_Highseas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

So me as an average simmer with a warthog, who has heard about this great hardware and hardware mods, can go to and see exactly what I need to buy and how i must configure it?
    You need buy:

VKB Gunfighter base (that came without grip, with VKB KG 12-B grip is more 30/40$).
    VKB adapter kit (mechanical, electronic, CAM, springs).
    VKB 20 cm extension (case want one) - the extension "S" try compensate the out of balance of (heavy) Warthog grip mentioned by Kettarian_Fox.

But all this was postponed again, realistic expect that this "more two-three weeks" will easy turn in "two mounts".

22. Likes Vlerkies, ATAG_Highseas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

realistic expect that this "more two-three weeks" will easy turn in "two mounts".

hahaha !!

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    355.85 MB

ha!... 1Lokos is right again !

Shipping of the Gunfighter initial batch is delayed somewhat due to delays in the supply chain of the Gunfighter's PCBs (Printed Circuit Boards) and PCBAs (Printed Ciruit Board Assembly). These delays were outside of the control of VKB HQ and pushed back the delivery date by about two - three weeks. VKB HQ promised to provide me with an up-to-date shipping date on (or before) March 28.

I've waited a year. I can wait another month or three if needs be.

My guess is the European shop will be listing them after they are actually "physically" available. !

I still can't speak Russian or Chinese.... so no idea there !
    Maybe you could fill me in when you get this up to date shipping info. Apparently they don't communicate with everyone equally, I sure didn't hear squat about delays only saw the consignment allotment had been hit and then retracted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

PhoenixCNE

VKB North America reseller do their best to keep interested people up to date - limited to VKB info/delays.

http://vkbcontrollers.com/?p=2803

This above quote was from email/newsletter he send yesterday for ones that did Gunfighter pre-order.

You can sign their newsletter there:

http://vkbcontrollers.com/?page_id=818

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    355.85 MB

PhoenixCNE

VKB North America reseller do their best to keep interested people up to date - limited to VKB info/delays.

http://vkbcontrollers.com/?p=2803

This above quote was from email/newsletter he send yesterday for ones that did Gunfighter pre-order.

You can sign their newsletter there:

http://vkbcontrollers.com/?page_id=818
    This is my complaint 1lokos lol ... I did pre-order and received no emails. At least you guys are good up to date info!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    951.63 MB

Where can I buy this stick ?

Shipping for South Europe... Greece... (Hellas)

Thanks...

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by sw1ive View Post
    Where can I buy this stick ?

Shipping for South Europe... Greece... (Hellas)

Thanks...
    https://flightsimcontrols.com/

(not listed as being in stock yet... I think they will most likely get a shipment sent to them and sell once in house)

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixCNE View Post
    This is my complaint 1lokos lol ... I did pre-order and received no emails. At least you guys are good up to date info!
    I will post them here as I get them !

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

30. Likes PhoenixCNE liked this post
    Team Fusion
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    497.6 KB

Stuff looks good though, and more than that the designs are logical from a mechanical viewpoint, and excellent from an engineering viewpoint.
    Well said. Sometimes beautiful engineering and mechanical elegance don't go together all that well. Haha. I like working on the older planes, because they often just have lawnmower cables and tractor carbs. A run of 1000 sounds like they're pretty serious about it though. Fatigue, beatings, and time will tell!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    2.82 GB

VKB FSC Europe posted an update on 23rd March 2017

https://flightsimcontrols.com/2017/0...n-combat-grip/

Gunfighter series

The EU production batch is running right now. When testing is completed, joysticks will be shipped to EU store and we will open ordering. Currently it is estimated to be started by the end of April. More details will be published soon.

ASUS TUF Gaming A15 FA507NV, AMD Ryzen 7 7735HS CPU, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Laptop GPU, 8 GB GDDR6 VRAM, 16 GB DDR5 RAM, 512 GB SSD, Windows 11 Home 23H2, VPC MongoosT-50 Throttle, VKB Gladiator Pro, MFG Crosswind, Wheel Stand Pro, EIZO CS240, Track-IR 5

33. Likes Tibsun liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Hot off the press:

Gunfighter Update News
    Hi guys,

just really quick - I've promised a status update on March 28, and VKB HQ has told me to wait one more day until they can make a statement for the definite Gunfighter shipping date.
    The reason for this extra day's wait lies with the PCB supplier who seems to be a day late in getting the PCBs to VKB.

Sadly, these new PCBs are the only missing component now and slow everything down... With a brand new product like the Gunfighter, a single supplier having issues will affect everything else, and I hope you understand that this is as frustrating for VKB as it is for you.
    That said, I will send out another email blast most likely sometime tomorrow once I have news from VKB HQ about the shipping date. Hang in there!

Until next time!

So.... There we are..... haha!

Edit

That's new from the USA distributers by the way.

The European shop is getting these shipped to them for onward dispatch... so I guess they will get shipped to the Netherlands at the same time the US customers (and lil' ole British me) get theirs shipped from China.

Glad now that I didn't get my nice to order it and bring with here on Friday when she comes to visit.... !!
    Last edited by ATAG_Highseas; Mar-28-2017 at 15:37.

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

and i quote:

"Hi Guys,

I promised you some details about a firm shipping date for the Gunfighter sticks, but Ilya at VKB HQ told me earlier via Skype that there are still some issues with yesterday's new PCBs (Printed Circuit Boards) that need to bee resolved first.

This is currently the highest priority VKB HQ is working on, and once again I will have to postpone the good news about a concrete shipping date another day or two.

Please keep in mind that this delay is all due to a single supplier in the Gunfighter supply chain, whose problems with their components were out of VKB's control - but this keeps currently delaying the shipping date.

If you think that the wait for the Gunfighter is getting too long, feel free to request a refund for your order.

Until next time, "

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

36. Likes PhoenixCNE liked this post
    Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    355.85 MB

and i quote:

"Hi Guys,

I promised you some details about a firm shipping date for the Gunfighter sticks, but Ilya at VKB HQ told me earlier via Skype that there are still some issues with yesterday's new PCBs (Printed Circuit Boards) that need to bee resolved first.

This is currently the highest priority VKB HQ is working on, and once again I will have to postpone the good news about a concrete shipping date another day or two.

Please keep in mind that this delay is all due to a single supplier in the Gunfighter supply chain, whose problems with their components were out of VKB's control - but this keeps currently delaying the shipping date.

If you think that the wait for the Gunfighter is getting too long, feel free to request a refund for your order.

Until next time, "
    Are you receiving emails pretty regularly? Starting to get pissed off that I'm getting 0 communication, maybe my money is better spent elsewhere.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Just mail them and ask to be put on the list

Click click. ....done.

I assume....

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    355.85 MB

Just mail them and ask to be put on the list

Click click. ....done.

I assume....
    Ah ... didn't realize there was need to join a mailing list I guess I thought an order was enough to warrant an email to tell you whats happening lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixCNE View Post
    Ah ... didn't realize there was need to join a mailing list I guess I thought an order was enough to warrant an email to tell you whats happening lol.
    well... yeah... in my case it was !

I'd definitely ask them why you are not included on the list.

I will keep posting here in any case.

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

And then....

Hi Guys,

Today I learned that we can expect another 2-3 weeks of delay until the Gunfighters finally start shipping.

This delay is the result of a single supplier who had to re-design the PCBs (Printed Circuit Boards), and these will still have to be FCC (Federal Communications Commission) and CE (Conformité Européene) certified. This overall process is what's taking so long currently.

Again, feel free to contact me for a refund if you don't want to wait any longer for your Gunfighter order to ship!

In other news:

BlackBox:

The BlackBox (active USB controller) has been redesigned for the Gunfighter sticks to now include an industrial strength "BUS" connector (rather than the older RJ45 connector)
    The new BlackBox design is also more resistant to ESD (Electorstatic Discharge) - up to 15,000 Volts
    The newly designed industrial connector also allows for a cable length of up to 5m (16ft) between the Gunfighter base on the BlackBox - this should be enough for any sim-pit builder out there
    The older BlackBox is software-compatible with the new one
    Gunfighter Pro:
    The Gunfighter Pro has passed the 'Accelerated Lifetime Testing' with a force of 13kg (28.5lbs) at the top of the extension and is now rated for a 0-3kg (6.5lbs) lifetime force - which is a pretty good value
    The Modern Combat Grip (MCG) received some love:

The second trigger was redesigned to receive a contactless MaRS sensor and will now fold up to put it into "gun safe" mode (or anything else you assign that button as)
    You're getting a 'pinky' switch - but it moved up and to the left to accommodate the grip design
    The internal structure was made stronger by adding "ribs"
    The electronics solution was improved to allow for a more modular approach
    The palm rest was made wider
    The grip's shape has been improved to match that of the original aircraft more closely - stay tuned for a new render soon!
    And, last but not least:

VKB HQ is working on a Modern Split Throttle Grip for their upcoming modular Throttle Control System (TCS)
    It's based on the Su-35's throttle grips and will go handsomely with the upcoming Modern Combat Grip (MCG)
    Now that's something to look forward to!

Until next time,

Copyright © 2017 VKB-Sim North America, All rights reserved.
    You are receiving this email because you opted in at www.VKBcontrollers.com.

Our mailing address is:
    VKB-Sim North America
    P.O. Box 720011
    Norman, OK 73070

Add us to your address book

Want to change how you receive these emails?
    You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list

Email Marketing Powered by MailChimp

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast