Thread: update 4.56 makes my game crash

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    79.61 MB

update 4.56 makes my game crash

EDIT: Title should be 4.56! Sorry for the typo

Hello I have a problem! Cannot play the game since update unfortunately.

The game was updated the 13th and when I tried to play the game on saterday (14th) it kept crashing to desktop as soon as I tried to select an airfield to spawn at. It happens every time. Trying to change the resolution or changing the game to windowed mode also crashes the game (and trying to change config files to windowed or other resolution doesn't seem to do anything). I was able to launch an airspawned single player mission though.

The error code in the dump file: 0xC000001D
    Exception information: The thread tried to execute an invalid instruction.
    This page didn't alow me to upload the full file here.

I have tried the following things:
    -Resetting clockspeeds for cpu and gpu
    -Verify integrity of game files in steam (Have done this multiple times and sometimes it finds 1 file that it needs to reaquire)
    -Checkdisk didn't find anything wrong with the drive
    -Being very, very, very patient before clicking the airfield (Never really works does it?)
    -Multiple reboots
    -Antivirus and firewall disabled
    -Closing msi afterburner before running the game
    -Ran ccleaner a few times to clean up the registry because I hadn't done that in a while and that never hurts
    -reinstalled the game

My pc:
    6600k @4.5 ghz (the new found stable clock for this game because il2 wouldn't run stable at 4.6 for some reason)
    Msi R9 390 8gb
    Msi z170a pc mate motherboard
    corsair rm750i psu
    Overkill cooling things

Any ideas what could be causing this?
    Last edited by kaper; Sep-16-2019 at 13:51.

2. Likes \Hawk/ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Re: update 4.54 makes my game crash

Hello Kaper

With your system you should easily be able to play the game.

I assume you are playing online... because you mention clicking on an airfield.

Have you tried to play the game in Single Player?

It is strange you need to re-acquire a file after verifying multiple times.

My suggestion is you uninstall the game completely, and then re-install.

Save your config files so you don't have to go through the config again.

You mention changing clockspeeds... I assume you are overclocking your cpu and gpu... this is not necessary to run CoD Blitz... your system can handle it easily.

Try selecting default clockspeeds and other settings with your cpu/gpu.

And of course, check your Anti Virus program to make sure it is not shutting down the game when you try to fly. Often the AV after an update will not register the game as the same as previously and will reject it. If you uninstall and reinstall, it will then recognize it.

Finally, have a look through the list of pinned topics here:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/forum...al-assistance/

Quote Originally Posted by kaper View Post
    EDIT: Title should be 4.56! Sorry for the typo

Hello I have a problem! Cannot play the game since update unfortunately.

The game was updated the 13th and when I tried to play the game on saterday (14th) it kept crashing to desktop as soon as I tried to select an airfield to spawn at. It happens every time. Trying to change the resolution or changing the game to windowed mode also crashes the game (and trying to change config files to windowed or other resolution doesn't seem to do anything). I was able to launch an airspawned single player mission though.

The error code in the dump file: 0xC000001D
    Exception information: The thread tried to execute an invalid instruction.
    This page didn't alow me to upload the full file here.

I have tried the following things:
    -Resetting clockspeeds for cpu and gpu
    -Verify integrity of game files in steam (Have done this multiple times and sometimes it finds 1 file that it needs to reaquire)
    -Checkdisk didn't find anything wrong with the drive
    -Being very, very, very patient before clicking the airfield (Never really works does it?)
    -Multiple reboots
    -Antivirus and firewall disabled
    -Closing msi afterburner before running the game
    -Ran ccleaner a few times to clean up the registry because I hadn't done that in a while and that never hurts
    -reinstalled the game

My pc:
    6600k @4.5 ghz (the new found stable clock for this game because il2 wouldn't run stable at 4.6 for some reason)
    Msi R9 390 8gb
    Msi z170a pc mate motherboard
    corsair rm750i psu
    Overkill cooling things

Any ideas what could be causing this?

4. Likes kaper liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    79.61 MB

Hi Buzzsaw, thankyou for your quick reply! I'll list my replies to your questions:

"I assume you are playing online... because you mention clicking on an airfield."
    -Yes, I am playing online. I usually play twc campain server. (I have tried other servers and they crash in the same way.)

"Have you tried to play the game in Single Player? "
    -I have been able to start an airspawn single player mission, yes.

"It is strange you need to re-acquire a file after verifying multiple times."
    -My thoughts exactly.

"My suggestion is you uninstall the game completely, and then re-install."
    -I tried that but I tried it again just now and it didn't solve anything.

"You mention changing clockspeeds... I assume you are overclocking your cpu and gpu... this is not necessary to run CoD Blitz... your system can handle it easily.
    Try selecting default clockspeeds and other settings with your cpu/gpu."
    -Correct I oc. This caused crashes earlier so this is one of the first things I thought could be the cause. It wasn't though because resetting clocks to default doesn't change the symptoms.

"And of course, check your Anti Virus program to make sure it is not shutting down the game when you try to fly. Often the AV after an update will not register the game as the same as previously and will reject it. If you uninstall and reinstall, it will then recognize it."
    -I tried to run the game with AV and firewall turned off. This also didn't change the behaviour. The AV and firewall also don't have anything new in the loggs. No blocked or quarantined things. This also wouldn't explain the crash while changing the resolution or video mode.

There are two options:
    1. I am missing something here. Wouldn't be the first time. Although I have tried everything that you mentioned and that I could think of.
    2. Something in the update combined with my specific machine did a funny. Usually it isn't the case but it is always nice to be able to blame someone else.

I really hope you or someone else has further ideas in troubleshooting this issue because I am starting to get ground sicknes.

EDIT: just some more error information from event viewer
    Faulting application name: Launcher64.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5d76b7f9
    Faulting module name: d3d9.dll, version: 10.0.18362.329, time stamp: 0x1ac9a115
    Exception code: 0xc000001d
    Fault offset: 0x00000000000acd21
    Faulting process ID: 0x1550
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d56d39af91a1a9
    Faulting application path: F:\steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz\Launcher64.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\d3d9.dll
    Report ID: 99febe8c-9ada-4b9e-91b8-d66149c09777
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

Problem signature:
    P1: Launcher64.exe
    P2: 1.0.0.0
    P3: 5d76b7f9
    P4: d3d9.dll <--This one is strange because other people don't seem to use this dll. They have d3d10 or some 11 or something.
    P5: 10.0.18362.329
    P6: 1ac9a115
    P7: c000001d
    P8: 00000000000acd21
    P9:
    P10:
    Last edited by kaper; Sep-17-2019 at 07:57.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    226.63 MB

hop on the discord Kaper lets get this fixed <S>
    i7 2700 ,32 gigs, 4 ssd's ,1 7200rpm 2terabyte,1 samsung 55 display,2 mfd's,EDTRACKER,Warthog ,X55 stick, 7inch liliput monitor in mfd's 21 I-inc secondary display for instruments using virtual cockpit
    [*]iustus facere unus[*] JUST MAKE ONE ( FATAL ERROR) Commander TWC http://twcpilots.com

7. Likes kaper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    226.63 MB

seems to be a GUI problem tried everything I know game loads but will crash on interface tried audio (turn off music) clicked apply music stopped then it jumps to options with out pressing Back then it crashes to desktop.
    tried unplugging peripherals no change.

just some more error information from event viewer
    Faulting application name: Launcher64.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5d76b7f9
    Faulting module name: d3d9.dll, version: 10.0.18362.329, time stamp: 0x1ac9a115
    Exception code: 0xc000001d
    Fault offset: 0x00000000000acd21
    Faulting process ID: 0x1550
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d56d39af91a1a9
    Faulting application path: F:\steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz\Launcher64.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\d3d9.dll
    Report ID: 99febe8c-9ada-4b9e-91b8-d66149c09777
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:
    i7 2700 ,32 gigs, 4 ssd's ,1 7200rpm 2terabyte,1 samsung 55 display,2 mfd's,EDTRACKER,Warthog ,X55 stick, 7inch liliput monitor in mfd's 21 I-inc secondary display for instruments using virtual cockpit
    [*]iustus facere unus[*] JUST MAKE ONE ( FATAL ERROR) Commander TWC http://twcpilots.com

9. Likes kaper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    319.97 MB

d3d9.dll is DirectX 9 Runtime environment

Cliffs of Dover uses Direct X 11, so you should have DirectX 11 installed

run dxdiag.exe from the command prompt.

Check the necessary x64, Direct X 11 files, e.g. "c:\Windows\SysWOW64\d3dx11_43.dll"

Look for, and run ...\Steam\SteamApps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz\_CommonRedist\DirectX\Jun2010\DXSETUP.exe

11. Likes kaper liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    79.61 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Artist View Post
    d3d9.dll is DirectX 9 Runtime environment

Cliffs of Dover uses Direct X 11, so you should have DirectX 11 installed

run dxdiag.exe from the command prompt.

Check the necessary x64, Direct X 11 files, e.g. "c:\Windows\SysWOW64\d3dx11_43.dll"

Look for, and run ...\Steam\SteamApps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz\_CommonRedist\DirectX\Jun2010\DXSETUP.exe

Hi Artist thanks for your help!

Dxdiag tells me I have dx12 installed.

I checked the syswow64 folder and d3dx11_43.dll is present. I also have d3dx11_42 and a whole bunch of versions for dx9 and dx 10.

The _commonRedist folder is NOT PRESENT in my blitz folder. I do have _commonRedist under ...\steamapps\common\Steamworks shared\ and I ran DXSETUP.exe which installed normally.

Do I need to have a _commonRedist folder in my blitz folder? I don't know why I don't have one or how I get it there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    319.97 MB

DirectX: Ok, nothing strange there, then.

Do I need to have a _commonRedist folder in my blitz folder? I don't know why I don't have one or how I get it there.
    Yes. We distribute this with Cliff Of Dover, so it should be there after install

also:
    ...\Steam\SteamApps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz\_CommonRedist\DotNet\4.0\dotNetFx40_Full_x86 _x64.exe
    ...\Steam\SteamApps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz\_CommonRedist\vcredist\2015\vc_redist.x64.ex e

which you should also have installed:
    - the one is DotNet 4.0
    - th other are the Micrsosoft VisualC Redistributables 2015 64bit

That is strange...

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    79.61 MB

Yes it is strange. I have tried everything I can think of (except reinstalling windows which I am not going to do) and I'm giving up. I'll just wait for the next patch and hope that will fix it for me. Meanwhile I will check in on this forum from time to time.

Thanks anyway for your help guys!

15. Likes \Hawk/ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by kaper View Post
    Yes it is strange. I have tried everything I can think of (except reinstalling windows which I am not going to do) and I'm giving up. I'll just wait for the next patch and hope that will fix it for me. Meanwhile I will check in on this forum from time to time.

Thanks anyway for your help guys!
    I have exactly the same issues as you. Cant change any options without a crash, can't start in single player as after 10 seconds it just crashes without even getting into game.

I have found the issue. Should have guessed really. Rivatuner statistics server. Turn that off, you will be fine
    Last edited by Peaveywolf; Oct-07-2019 at 12:39.

17. Likes Tibsun liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Peaveywolf View Post
    I have exactly the same issues as you. Cant change any options without a crash, can't start in single player as after 10 seconds it just crashes without even getting into game.

I have found the issue. Should have guessed really. Rivatuner statistics server. Turn that off, you will be fine
    Not surprised... very often crashes out of CoD are a result of 3rd party programs... especially those which are 32 bit. (not sure if Rivatuner is 32 bit)

Always check to see if there is a conflict in these types of programs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    598.45 MB

Re: update 4.56 makes my game crash

Serious;y, these random game crashes are driving me insane.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    79.61 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Peaveywolf View Post

I tried running the game without msi afterburner, rivatuner and some other things. I have not however installed the game after uninstalling rivatuner and not having msi afterburner running. So I am going to do that now. Thanks! I just hope this is actually going to solve my problem. I'll let you know it a few minutes. Going to uninstall and install blitz now.

EDIT: Unfortunately it doesn't change the crashing behaviour. Same .Net System.AccessViolationException. Thanks for the suggestion though. I've checked taskmanager but there aren't a lot of other programs running that could cause a problem (I think).

EDIT2: Logfile in 1c softclub has the following:
    Main3D: Couldn't initialize render context:
    [20:05:16] System.Exception: RenderContext already exist
    [20:05:16] at maddox.core.WRenderContext.create(String type, String title, Mode& initMode, Caps& initCaps, Int32 windowLeft, Int32 windowTop)
    [20:05:16] at $1xAKYcqgD3AaANwyScK0EIvmlWTYrIpbDfiV0ufwVsE.3B5i1 9SP6YEmzEhx3Lj_Jss()
    [20:05:16] at AYB56PA7FbyE$$8MFI6r974O4H8hT6AeUdaoTWW4GX4D.dIpkx XebLtWgGXTdBc5GdyA()
    Last edited by kaper; Oct-09-2019 at 14:13.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    79.61 MB

Quote Originally Posted by RAF74_Buzzsaw View Post
    Not surprised... very often crashes out of CoD are a result of 3rd party programs... especially those which are 32 bit. (not sure if Rivatuner is 32 bit)

Always check to see if there is a conflict in these types of programs.
    Could you eleborate on how these conflicts work? Is there a way of finding out which program could be causing this? I already disabled most if not all third party software I had running so I would be surprised if a program that is running is the cause.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    79.61 MB

Okey guys I have some good news. I managed to get the game to run. It is still weird and unplayable but at least it is starting.

What I did:
    -I dissabled the older .Net versions in windows features. (.Net 3.5 which includes 2 and 3)
    -I selected compatibility mode for windows 7.
    -I ran the installscripts for .Net and directx in the steamapps/steamworks/_commonRedist folder.
    -I dissabled integrated graphics.
    -Reinstalled gpu drivers.

The combination of these things makes the game start. I had already tried all these things but I had not tried all 5 together.

-Starting in full screen mode results in a popup with an error message from directX. (Error 0x80070057). It then starts the game with full screen off. I can spawn in a multiplayer server but the graphics look weird and there is a lot of lag. No more than 1 fps. GPU shows 0% usage while cpu is at 100%.
    -Starting the game in pseudo mode does not result in errors. I can spawn in a multiplayer server but the game screen becomes very small in one corner of the display and it has is skewed and strange. Again less than 1 fps. GPU again shows 0% usage while cpu is 100%.

Another observation is that the text on the map with the names of the airfields is very, very small.

The problems I have now should be directX related right?

I'm going to try some more things now and I'll keep you updated.

EDIT:
    The compatibility mode is the only way to start the game IF FULL SCREEN IS SELECTED. It then returns the "initialising directx error code" and starts in windowed mode. Pseudo full screen will run without compatibility mode.
    Last edited by kaper; Oct-13-2019 at 15:53.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Hello Kaper

I have a feeling this is a Windows 7 issue. Something in that system is causing the problem.

Is there a particular reason you have not upgraded to W10?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.11 MB

Just for posterity sake..I run the game just fine with Win 7 and dread the day I have to switch to 10. Seems just as many or more people have just as many problems with 10. I know 7 is a dieng breed but still. I feel the route he is taking to solve this problem is like taking a 200 mile detour to get around a 10 mile construction zone.
    Cheers
    Ribbs

INTEL I5 4670 /16 MB DDR3/ MSI Z97 PCMATE MB
    MSI GTX 1060 3 GIG
    WIN 7 64
    MS Sidewinder 2 precision pro Saitek x52 throttle quadrant

By ATAG_Lewis

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.11 MB

I would uninstall the game and reinstall fresh try running the game with no peripherals hooked up. No powered Hubs or anything. Bare bones game nothing else running. Delete or uninstall and 3rd part apps that run in the background and use stock CPU GPU settings with up to date driver's. See how that goes. Try and get your system as close to clean and stock as possible. If it runs..then add stuff slowly and keep checking to see that it remains stable. I run Nvidia inspector just to bump my fan speed up to stay cool. Otherwise I run Trackir teamspeak and my Joystick and throttle. keep it simple till u find out what's causing it. You have dove in so far that you don't know what's causing what.
    Cheers
    Ribbs

INTEL I5 4670 /16 MB DDR3/ MSI Z97 PCMATE MB
    MSI GTX 1060 3 GIG
    WIN 7 64
    MS Sidewinder 2 precision pro Saitek x52 throttle quadrant

By ATAG_Lewis

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    220.96 MB

Hello Kaper

I have a feeling this is a Windows 7 issue. Something in that system is causing the problem.

I think he is not on Win7, he is running Win7 compatibility mode in Win10 (Win7 runs fine on my computer).
    I heard a few times that some had problems after deleting the .ini files in Win10
    Original default .ini in the documents (4.55 to 4.56) on Win 10 seems to cause issues.
    Older (back up) ones seemed to work partially, although older ones causing issues saving new settings and controls on my computer (Win7).

My (rendundant) conclusions reading and trying to help other people:

Problems for Win10:
    Very recent .NET updates for Win10
    Original new default .ini files of 4.55 / 4.56 are causing crashes. (by deleting them in documents to reset/restore default values for the new patch)

Problems for Win7 and Win10:
    old .ini files not saving (and crashing Win10 trying to change controls).
    old .ini files partially work (Win10 without crashing by avoiding any changes on controls).

Good for Win7:
    No problems with recent .NET updates
    Can delete .ini files to restore default without problems and all good (Win10 has problems with new .ini)

Have a look at the recent default original confuser.ini and confs.ini of 4.56 in Win10
    Maybe you can find a solution.
    Last edited by Tibsun; Oct-14-2019 at 12:32.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    79.61 MB

Sorry for the late response everyone! I've been very busy with other things. Thanks for the responses.

Hello Kaper

Small misunderstanding here. I am running W10 but selected compatibility mode for windows 7.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    79.61 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Ribbs View Post
    I would uninstall the game and reinstall fresh try running the game with no peripherals hooked up. No powered Hubs or anything. Bare bones game nothing else running. Delete or uninstall and 3rd part apps that run in the background and use stock CPU GPU settings with up to date driver's. See how that goes. Try and get your system as close to clean and stock as possible. If it runs..then add stuff slowly and keep checking to see that it remains stable. I run Nvidia inspector just to bump my fan speed up to stay cool. Otherwise I run Trackir teamspeak and my Joystick and throttle. keep it simple till u find out what's causing it. You have dove in so far that you don't know what's causing what.
    Thanks for your reply! Reinstalling the game has been over 20 times by now. I have tried disconnecting every device and uninstalling every program I thought I could live without. Stock cpu/gpu settings do not fix the problem. I still think the problem is directx related since it is mainly a graphics problem now. It seemes to be running on my cpu and not on my gpu. Not even on my integrated graphics (turned that off in bios) but on my actual cpu. It is as if the game cannot use the gpu and just decides to do it another way.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    79.61 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Tibsun View Post
    I think he is not on Win7, he is running Win7 compatibility mode in Win10 (Win7 runs fine on my computer).
    I heard a few times that some had problems after deleting the .ini files in Win10
    Original default .ini in the documents (4.55 to 4.56) on Win 10 seems to cause issues.
    Older (back up) ones seemed to work partially, although older ones causing issues saving new settings and controls on my computer (Win7).

My (rendundant) conclusions reading and trying to help other people:

Problems for Win10:
    Very recent .NET updates for Win10
    Original new default .ini files of 4.55 / 4.56 are causing crashes. (by deleting them in documents to reset/restore default values for the new patch)

Problems for Win7 and Win10:
    old .ini files not saving (and crashing Win10 trying to change controls).
    old .ini files partially work (Win10 without crashing by avoiding any changes on controls).

Good for Win7:
    No problems with recent .NET updates
    Can delete .ini files to restore default without problems and all good (Win10 has problems with new .ini)

Have a look at the recent default original confuser.ini and confs.ini of 4.56 in Win10
    Maybe you can find a solution.
    This is a good list of things to look at. Most of these I have tried though. I updated .NET and windows 10 and I completely reinstalled the game (so I deleted 1c and steam folder of game). So old files or .NET shouldn't be affecting the game. I also tried modifying the fresh conf files but that didn't help either.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    79.61 MB

gpuNotUsed.PNG

I'm quite sure the game is not using my gpu. In the image provided one can see that the game doesn't use a gpu. The only gpu that is available is gpu 0. This is the only one because integrated graphics have been turned off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Hello Kaper

Do you still have the original CLIFFS OF DOVER game installed on Steam and your machine?

I would recommend completely uninstalling this game... only the BLITZ version should be installed.
    Last edited by RAF74_Buzzsaw; Oct-28-2019 at 21:45.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    79.61 MB

Okey guys! I reinstalled windows and the game works now. I think the problem was .NET or directX related. It was defenitely something wrong in windows. Classic windows problems: Nothing you can do to it but reinstalling everything.

I really appreciate that you all tried to help me with information and ideas. Thanks guys!

Kaper

PS: It was a lovely feeling to take off for the first time again. What a beatiful game it is. Love the latest updates. They really have an impact on gameplay and the experience.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Thanks for sharing all the steps you took, Kaper, including the last step in re-installing Windows 10. What a pain! It gives us some more valuable input that could help the next guy.

Console game developers have it easy: everyone is on the same system. PC users, OTOH, have an infinite array of combinations and permutations of hardware, peripherals, operating systems, and all kinds of overlays designed expressly to goof up Clod players!

Hope to see you on our server soon!

Snapper

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

34. Likes ATAG_Vampire, kaper liked this post