Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Operation Relinquish v1.0

The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

Operation Relinquish v1.0

First off, Wolverine, Osprey, Swallow and many more, thank you for all the help and links that helped me get started. This mission wouldn't have been finished if it wasn't for H. Gruber's patience and help with a few scripting errors I kept running into. He taught me a lot and helped write the scripts when I fell far short. Cheers Gruber! Also, thanks for all the public scripts out there that are in use in this mission. Lastly, thanks to all the people who helped test and gave me input, Drock, Endless, Godfather, RS, Chuck, Hazza, Windigger, Muffin and about 15 others I can't remember now! Thanks! Also, AKA_Knutsac for the excellent AAA templates which look great.

This is my first mission, so any issues you have with it be gentle. I am more than willing to take ideas or gripes as long as they are constructive. Anything major that is found will be fixed quickly, minor gripes will be compiled and looked at after a certain amount of time.

At first glance, it may seem like this mission has an overwhelming amount of targets for both sides. However, both sides with a decent bomber group (5-6) can roll the map in about 2.5 hours. Most targets can be taken out by 1 or 2 bombers on a single pass for both sides so plan accordingly (If it takes 4 Blenheims to take out an airfield, it will take 4 JU88s to do the same [tonnage is doubled for blue]. This is the only way to level the playing field without limiting Blues to 110's and 87s). Targets and spawn points allow for a range of both high level bombing and for crazies like myself who go in low and fast. AAA is heavy and one pass low is doable, two passes you are asking for it. But like I said, 1 or 2 bombers in formation can take out most targets in a single pass with salvo or quick single drops of their entire payloads.

AAA is HEAVY and is hard to judge since its accuracy seems to change on different servers and lobbies. All spawn points are heavily defended to discourage vulching. Like I said, targets and airfields are good for about one to two passes before you get chewed up. If it becomes overwhelming I will make changes. This is true for both sides. Each spawn area is defended by the exact same amount and type (side equivalent). Rear bases for both sides are defended even heavier for both sides since heavy bombers are available mainly at the rear spawn points.

And lastly before we get to the briefing, the longest flight for either side is for Red from Bembridge (Isle of Wight) to Rouen AND back. This round trip including bombs away is roughly 1 hour and 15 minutes. Of course you can divert and land at bases in France which would shorten the flight to about 40-45 minutes total. Blues longest is from Dieppe to Theville, which round trip is an hour, divert to a forward base and its even, about 45 minutes.

Each spawn point is specific. Everyone is a short taxi to the correct side of the runway. Hopefully this encourages use of the runway. Often you are spawned in right next to the strip itself and all you have to do is start up, pull out 30 yards and turn onto the strip. Remember this when landing as well for obvious reasons, specially on grass fields without a dedicated strip. The thresholds have been marked for proper landing direction, white T's are the correct landing direction, Red T's signal you are landing with the wind.

takeoff.jpg

Lastly, this mission is NOT historical but it is plausible. Bombers, sharpen your aim with your drops to get that single pass destruction and everyone please try to encourage the reading of the briefing to others. I didn't go through the trouble of writing it and taking recon photos for nothing and I think its a must for stick wigglers of the bomber type.

Aircraft available are based upon what people enjoy flying most. I got help from both sides on this and is FAIR List of aircraft at each spawn point follows:

RED:
    Bembridge: SpitIIa, SpitIa(100),HurricaneI(100), BlenheimIV, BlenheimIVF
    Querqueville: SpitIIa, SpitIa(100), HurricaneI(100), BlenheimIV
    Theville: SpitIIa, SpitIa(100), SpitIa, HurricaneI(100), BlenheimIVF
    Crepon: SpitIa, SpitIa(100), HurricaneI(100), BelnheimIVF
    Carpiquet (Caen): SpitIa, SpitIa(100), SpitI, HurricaneIDH5, HurricaneI(100), BlenheimIVF, BlenheimIV

BLUE:
    Le Havre: BF109E1,E1B,E3,E3B,E4, BF110C4,C4N,C7,C7Late, G50
    Le-tilleul-Othon: BF109E1,E3,E4, BF110C4,C4N,C7,C7Late, G50, JU87
    Rouen: BF109E1,E1B,E3,E3B,E4,E4N,E4B, BF110C2,C4,C4N,C7,C7Late, G50, JU87, JU88, BR20, HE111P2,H2
    Dieppe: BF109E1,E1B,E3,E3B,E4,E4N,E4B, BF110C2,C4,C4N,C7,C7Late, G50, JU87, JU88, BR20, HE111P2,H2

BRIEFINGS:

TO: All RAF squadron CO/XO's
    DATE: 31st of October, 1940.
    TIME: 0730
    WEATHER: Cloudy, winds 080 at 7 knots gusting to 10.

The Axis powers have much of France under the control of the Gestapo now. The last remaining Allies have been cutoff and trapped on the Cherbourg peninsula and Hitler expects the full occupation of France within days.

MISSION OBJECTIVES:
    ----------------------
    A British commando unit has been trapped behind front lines after being forced to abort last nights sabotage mission of a dam SE of Le Havre. German Panzer units have massed on the outskirts of the costal town of Trouville-sur-mer and are awaiting further orders. Destroy them to clear the way for a rescue operation. AO 3.9

Infantry1.jpgInfantry1a.jpg

The commandos were able to place thousands of pounds of TNT along the dam but were forced to abort before setting their detonators. They slipped away without being noticed and the Germans are using the dry river bed to funnel mass amounts of ground troops deeper into France. Breach the dam by skip bombing two 500lb bombs (salvo) into the exact area marked by the commandos. AQ 4.7

Dam.jpg

The 7th Flieger Division (German Paratroopers) have began massing at Le Havre airfield. Destroy them before they can drop further troops behind our lines! AO 5.9

LeHavrePara.jpg

Le Havre airfield is home to the largest fuel depot within the German front lines. Destroy the fuel depot located on the NW side of the airfield. AO 5.9

LeHavre.jpgLeHavreFuel.jpg

A German radar installation has gone up and poses a risk to our planned evacuation of the Cherbourg peninsula. Destroy this site and mask our escape. AP 6.4

RedRadar.jpgRedRadar1.jpg

The airfield at Rouen is the most forward operating base for the Luftwaffe heavy bomb command. Crater the airfield and hamper their bombing campaign. AW 4.3

Rouen.jpg

A company of German troops are awaiting pick up via train to the front lines. Destroy them and cripple the bridge. AV 3.5

RouenBridge.jpg

A small amphibious assault group carrying several Schutzstaffel units has been spotted leaving Le Havre harbor, headed towards the Cherbourg peninsula. Sink the ships and thwart this flanking maneuver! AN 5.7

TARGETS OF OPPORTUNITY
    ---------------------------
    The Germans are using France's rail system to transport food, ammunition and troops to various commands. These soft targets are "Targets of Opportunity" and ROE are clear. Beware allied units close to the front are using trains as well.

END OF ALLIED BRIEFING
    ------------------------

TO: Forward stationed Luftwaffe commanders
    DATE: 31st of October, 1940.
    TIME: 0730
    WEATHER: Cloudy, winds 080 at 7 knots gusting to 10.

Our conquest of Europe continues unmatched as we reach further into France. The last remaining British and French infantry units are on the run and the RAF squadrons have implemented evacuation orders from the Cherbourg peninsula.

MISSION OBJECTIVES:
    ---------------------
    Querqueville airfield is being used by the Allies as a medical evacuation site and is heavily defended leaving the airfield near Theville open for targeting. Crater the runway making it unusable. AD 7.2

Theville.jpg

The Allies main fuel source for the main evacuation is being stored on the N side of the airfield at Theville. Evacuation aircraft are being staged and fueled. Destroy this fuel depot and staging area. AD 7.2

Thevillefuel.jpg

The British have set up a temporary ammunition depot just outside the Cherbourg peninsula and are using it to supply their forward operating bases and infantry units that will be covering the evacuation. It is strategically located near waterways, rail systems and roads. Destroy this ammunition depot and cut off their supplies. AF 3.4

Ammo.jpgAmmo1.jpg

A strategic bridge located just north of the ammunition depot must be destroyed to cut off the main supply and evacuation route of the Allies. The bridge spans three river branches, target the middle section and destroy that span. AF 3.4

Bridge.jpg

The British have started to mass troops and supplies in preparation for a sea evacuation near the water inlet between Sainte-Mere-Eglise and Isigny-sur-Mer. Destroy the Allies before they can retreat back to England. AF 3.8

Infantryev.jpginfantryev1.jpg

A squadron of RAF night fighters have been deployed to the airfield at Crepon. These fighters are responsible for last nights strafing runs on our forward lines. Ground them permanently. AK 3.4

Crepon.jpgCrepon1.jpg

Caen has become the Allies last forward strong point. Ground troops have started massing within the city limits just north of the main rail yard. Pound this section of the city and rail yards to cut off any incoming trains and demoralize the morale of the ground troops. Focus bombing on the two factories across the river from the rail yard and the troop tents, field hospital and trains on the northern edge of the rail yard. AL 1.8

Caen.jpg2014-05-30_00001.jpg2014-05-30_00002.jpg

A small amphibious convoy has been spotted leaving the Allied sea evacuation staging area. Sink the ships before they can escape. AH 6.4

TARGETS OF OPPORTUNITY
    ---------------------------
    We have taken control of the rail system within our lines and they have become invaluable to our movement. Be on the look out for these soft targets that the Allies are using as well within their front to carry cargo and troops to and from the forward lines.

END OF AXIS BRIEFING
    ----------------------
    Last edited by ♣_Spiritus_♣; May-30-2014 at 18:08.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Re: Operation Relinquish v1.0

Wow! This mission looks awesome!

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

This looks epic, can't wait to try it.

I love the recon photos.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

This is mad. Thank you man... I just can't wait to fly back to new zealand and get through the door to play it.

I can't believe the exponential fun factor of this game and community- doesn't drop off... it's taken over my life.

Thanks again spiritus and to hans gruber + everyone who helped make it happen. It's going to be a killer.
    Last edited by trademe900; May-11-2014 at 21:47.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    16.16 MB

Looks Great SM! Nice briefings! Can't wait to try it out, thank you for taking the time to learn the art of mission building

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

Looks very nice, thank you for your work

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Wow awesome stuff sm! I wish I could code so I could contribute.
    Can't wait to test it. It's in rotation now?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

Thanks guys, it was a lot of fun making.... and frustrating.

Still waiting to hear back from Bliss so I can get him the mission files. Shouldn't be too long, hopefully I can get on as well... haven't been able to connect to ATAG for some reason.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Thanks SM! Great map and beautiful recon pics, I'm looking forward to play it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    88.77 MB

Wow a new mission - Thank you!! I look forward to trying this out in the near future.

Great work

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Hi Spiritus,

thank you very much for the much work you put into this.
    May i ask something?

You wrote:
    (If it takes 4 Blenheims to take out an airfield, it will take 4 JU88s to do the same [tonnage is doubled for blue].
    If i understand this correct blue is forced to fly the 88s as one would need very much 110s to reach the doubled tonnage limit?

Additionally, the Blenheims can go fast and can turn very well (for a 2mot), blue has nothing comparable to this.
    The only advantage of the less maneuverable 88s (higher bombload) has been taken away.

Last question:
    are the Radar capabilities equal on both sides? Or will blue have the same Radar Operator who reports Blenheims only after they already bombed the AF again (France map)?

S! Spiritus

Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    463.16 MB

It's a mystery to me how all you mission-magicians find the time to create these works of art, I can't wait to see how it plays.

With Gratitude,

Septic.
    [CENTER][CENTER] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]
    [/CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

@Skylon, as far as the radar goes, I haven't been able to really understand much of all that so I haven't done anything in that regards, I just know I put a radar site up for both blues and reds.

Quote Originally Posted by JG4_sKylon View Post
    If i understand this correct blue is forced to fly the 88s as one would need very much 110s to reach the doubled tonnage limit?
    This doesn't force blues to fly the 88. In the briefing you will notice that both sides only have one tonnage target. For the blues, an 88 or 111 is the smarter choice and although it might "force" them to use either heavy bomber on that side, a marksmen bomber in an 88 could easily tear through three targets in one sortie if their aim is true with those little 50's.

I gave the reds one forward base with their only bomber choice and I gave blues 109B's, 110s and 87's at their forward bases. Most of the targets are about the same distance and for each blue target their is a red equivalent.

So to stop my yapping, an 88 or 111 would be smart to take for the tonnage target but not necessary. A Blenheim who drops their bombs on an airfield would get 20% damage, an 88 would get 20%. So, for both sides, if they get a well organized formation of say 2 formations of 3 bombers each and the other side isn't defending the targets, the map will get chewed up quickly if their aim is good. 1000kg for red means 2000kg for blue. I based this on 4 250's for red, 8 250s for blue (88).... the 111 might even be able to carry more

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Thanks Spiritus for taking the time to answer the question.
    My concerns decreased as there is only one tonnage target.
    I look forward to play it.

S!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Could these mission descriptions with intel photos - such as this particular one - be made as a sticky ?

Invaluable.

Actually, another feature item I should bring up to TF: allow for these 'in game photo recon pictures' in the briefing

"My idea of flying is to have a group take off together, stick together, fight together, try to accomplish the mission together and hopefully all land together" - AKA_Recon

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Spiritus, are you aware that the blenheim in fact carries 1000lbs (just under 500kg) ordnance? Ju88 carries 2400kg and the heinkel 2000kg. The ordnance tonnage ratio is not even 1:4.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    9.26 MB

It was fun seeing the map. It will be a definite hit in the rotation and the new scenery is going to be refreshing. I am glad to know my very small contribution helped in the maps creation. Thanks for the hard work SM!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by AKA_Recon View Post
    Actually, another feature item I should bring up to TF: allow for these 'in game photo recon pictures' in the briefing
    Couldnt agree more. I thought about downsizing all the recon photos so people could use them as dash photos, but figured not many people would do that since you would have to quit the game to change the photos. Perhaps a clickable dash to scroll through the photos?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by trademe900 View Post
    Spiritus, are you aware that the blenheim in fact carries 1000lbs (just under 500kg) ordnance? Ju88 carries 2400kg and the heinkel 2000kg. The ordnance tonnage ratio is not even 1:4.

I was not about the 88s! Where were you Trademe! Just kidding. I just saw on the 88s loadout they could carry 8 250s... I took that as lbs. We will see how it goes and perhaps I will make a change on that. The 88's are slower than the Blenheim's so maybe it will even out.

The way the servers been going more red bombers are present, so while it may take 4 blenheims to take out the tonnage target, it will take 2 88s... and honestly I have never seen more than 2 88s working together anyways.

We'll see how it turns out before making a change. I can't keep up with all the different systems! Yards, meters, pounds, kilos....

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

Mission is now in rotation! Flew on her maiden voyage, didnt notice any bugs besides the blue ships (reds target) was slightly buggy, with one ship refusing to sink and another sinking halfway. This seems to be random and ship/CloD related so I will keep an eye on them. Everything else seems to be working!

If you spot anything or have suggestions or gripes, just let me know! High altitude bombers, remember the wind! Also, there are many objects in this map, so don't rely on just seeing the black dots and assuming they are targets.

Enjoy! Rhinofilms was lucky enough to escape capture.... glad that is working and people are getting a laugh about the message.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    16.39 MB

Thank You Spiritus_Mortem!!

Looks like a GREAT map this!
    For how many years have You been working on this one ;-?

May I ask one Q about the wind. Do we have it "all the way up"?

Thanks alot..hope its up next time I`m in!
    fatkid.gif

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    754 Bytes

This looks like a great mission, I hope to see it in action

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Congratz SM

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

I flew a sortie on it last night in a Spitfire 2a. Looked fantastic and was very stable throughout my mission. I'm looking forward to doing some train busting!

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    33.38 MB

Bravo ATAG server

Théville HS with a Ju-88...

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    754 Bytes

i'm having a really hard time connecting, is it possible it's the map?

E: works fine after reboot. let's have a go!

E 2: Oh btw, you have access to damage stats when you're up in the air. Not sure if that's intended. Normally you need to land afaik.
    Last edited by Incog; May-19-2014 at 15:58.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Incog View Post

E 2: Oh btw, you have access to damage stats when you're up in the air. Not sure if that's intended. Normally you need to land afaik.
    Yes, I've seen it, too, when I've hit ESC to make a small change to, say, my video settings while still ingame and flying trimmed out in a quiet part of the map. This is a server-side glitch on the ATAG server, I believe, and not related to the Relinquish mission. It happens on other missions, too, on the ATAG Server and is not intended AFAIK. During the heat of a dogfight it would be impractical to ESC out to check your opponent's damage (and your own) and re-enter the game because of the inherent time it takes to do so -- you'd be shot dead in the process. It does give an advantage, say, to a bomber pilot who can use this feature to decide whether or not to continue with a mission after a flak hit (or enemy a/c encounter), but we already have the ability to have a damage custom window anyway.

Other than trying to assess an opponent's damage during a dogfight, I'm not sure what other tactical advantage this could give anyone to use as an exploit. Anyone?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

Thanks for addressing that Snap, I had no idea.

@nacy, awesome shot, that is epic destruction!

Any thoughts from the bomber pilots about the overall amount of bombs each target takes? Trademe reminded me of the JU88 payload and I had it wrong when developing the blue targets. Just curious since when I played the map there was only a single 111 flying around.
    Last edited by ♣_Spiritus_♣; May-20-2014 at 00:22.

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    754 Bytes

Well Snapper, I think you could get some rookie blue pilot realize that he has access to those stats, quickly hit ESC to see the stats to see what kind of damage he did in a firing pass for example, only to crash because he wasn't controlling his aircraft for a minute or so.

.... I'm obviously, clearly, 100% NOT talking about an actual in game experience.

Nah guys, the map looks great, it seems to be great fun and those damage stats are insane to have! So I'm just really happy atm.

Supporting Member 9./JG52_Meyer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    64.27 MB

Myself and 3 Kameraden from 9./JG52 flew this new map last night . It looks really nice with the season change and was quite stable throughout. We never got past The base at Le Harve because of the incoming RAF types hitting the targets at Le Harve but enjoyed it immensly . I dont think there is any map in ATAG rotation that we dont like at the moment.
    Thanks for your time and effort in putting this together Spiritus we at this Staffel appreciate your labour.
    Oberleutnant - Otto Meyer
    "Gelb Acht"
    9.Staffel / Jagdgeschwader 52
    (Karaya)

In memory of 9./JG52 Ziegler, Vermisse dich mein Freund

http://www.9jg52.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast