Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mission Wizard (alpha) proof of concept

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    191.25 MB

Mission Wizard (alpha) proof of concept

Following PStyle's valuable template threads HERE, and note RedDog's suggestion about some sort of useful mechanism to manipulate mission object templates. Here's a "Mission Wizard" (couldn't think of a name - open to suggestions).

INSTALLING
    1. This is a stand-alone exe. Create a folder where you want the exe to be located.
    2. Extract the archive file into that folder. If you extracted correctly, you should have two files; MissionWizard.exe and library.ini
    3. Run the program (exe). The first time you run it, the wizard will ask you set set the folder for where your mission object templates are located; and the folder where your script templates are located. These folders may have sub-folders for types of templates (unlimited object & script templates allowed).
    4. Once you've set the folders for where your template files are located, you will see a tree on the left of the screen showing all your template files.
    5. Simply use the arrow buttons to select (or deselect) which objects & scripts you want for your battle.

HOW TO ADD YOUR OWN AIRFIELD OR OBJECT TEMPLATE
    1. Simply download a template file (mission file) from wherever you like & put it into a folder of your choice somewhere under your desigated 'objects' root folder.
    2. Your template should appear in the wizard screen.

HOW TO ADD YOUR OWN SCRIPT TEMPLATE
    1. Simply download a c# script file (*.cs file) from wherever you like & put it into a folder of your choice somewhere under your desigated 'script' root folder.
    2. Your script template should appear in the wizard screen.

FEATURES
    • Works with all maps. The wizard uses the map associated with the first template file you select for your mission.
    • Imports stationary objects from template into your mission file.
    • Imports buildings objects from template into your mission file.
    • Imports frontmarker objects from template into your mission file.
    • Imports AiChiefs (animals/birds etc) objects from template into your mission file.
    • Imports spline roads objects from template into your mission file.
    • Imports spawn bases objects from template into your mission file.
    • Imports local weather front objects from template into your mission file.
    • Imports unlimited number of C# scripts into your mission file.
    • This is presented 'as-is', I make no guarantees it will suit your mission building & I'm not responsible for any consequences should it present problems.

LIMITATIONS
    1. Does not work for 'custom airfield' template files (yet).

Download wizard HERE (107kb) [Ver0.4 beta]

Last edited by Salmo; Aug-20-2014 at 08:52.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Re: Mission Wizard (alpha) proof of concept

This is brilliant! Looking forward to trying this!

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Great initiative Salmo!

The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

Hey Salmo

First, thanks for this, looks promising.

Second, can we add templates besides airfields to this? I feel like this could be a huge help to people who are interested in mission building, thus possibly getting us more missions on ATAG.

Not sure about how mission builders feel about sharing their hard work but this could lead to more missions for us to enjoy by many more creative minds outs there that haven't taken the plunge in mission building because it really is a daunting task at first.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    191.25 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritus_Mortem View Post
    <snip>Second, can we add templates besides airfields to this? <snip>
    The intention is to make it generic enough that users can add template catagories of their choosing. That way they can hold templates of mission objects in a manner that is meaningful to them.

Veteran Combat pilot No601_Swallow's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritus_Mortem View Post

Second, can we add templates besides airfields to this? I feel like this could be a huge help to people who are interested in mission building, thus possibly getting us more missions on ATAG.
    Don't see why not, so long as the templates consist of statics and buildings! So, flak emplacements, harbours... all good! As Salmo explains in the o.p., it's just buildings and statics - no airdromes/spawn areas! But maybe with a bit of fiddling... It'd be great if this could somehow scan a specified .mis file and lift the different sections out automatically. Goodness, I'm lazy!

[Of course, if it could do this, it could perhaps also lift air groups with their waypoints from the .mis file too! Wholesale .mis piracy! = bliss!]

Anyway, I love the enticing ambition of the "Library" sub-menu: submit to online library/ get latest library objects... Wouldn't that be great? I think this is the sort of thing Phil and Reddog (and myself, actually) have been groping towards. Many thanks for these ideas, Salmo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

salmo tool.JPG

Seems to work as advertised! (When saving the mission, the name will need the .mis bit).

As luck would have it, I've got quite a few statics/buildings templates in our airfield workshop (see sig). Makes this a very straightforward tool to work with.

If this could also include the airdromes and birthplaces sections from the .mis file, it'd be really really really useful (and then perhaps splines, etc...). But even just the statics/buildings is potentially great. For instance, in my squadron, with mission builders of varying amounts of experience and patience, several of us more or less routinely use our airfields (airdromes) and spawn locations (birthplaces) for our own ops missions. But a lot of scenery gets missed out. While my fellow mission builders understand the principles of cutting and pasting, quite often they can't be bothered! So, an idiot-proof tool like Salmo's would be perfect.
    Last edited by No601_Swallow; May-26-2014 at 02:50.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    191.25 MB

Quote Originally Posted by No601_Swallow View Post
    It'd be great if this could somehow scan a specified .mis file and lift the different sections out automatically.
    My alpha-design putting mission file sections into a seperate ini file was a bad design. The next interation of this utility is underway & will include the ability to parse-out sections from seperate mission files.

Seems to work as advertised! (When saving the mission, the name will need the .mis bit).
    Thanks for feedback.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

But!

Slightly strange anomaly It seems that when there are both buildings and statics in that section in the library file, the wizard will put them together in the statics section in the .mis file.

For instance, here's a section from the "TP Croydon" part of the library file:

libraryobjects_zpsd4ee6e16.jpg

And here's the resultant section from the mission file:

missiontext_zpsddf98604.jpg

In the FMB, this results in the fact that while the statics retain their "icons", the buildings appear without theirs:

croydonanomaly_zpsf686757f.jpg

The buildings remain fully selectable and movable and deleteable, but it's a little strange. I haven't seen this before, and it adds further grist to the eternal question: what are buildings anyway?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    191.25 MB

But!

Slightly strange anomaly It seems that when there are both buildings and statics in that section in the library file, the wizard will put them together in the statics section in the .mis file.... <snip>
    Very alpha release to get further ideas & feedback, knocked out in a few hours. This issue will be fixed

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Supporting Member 92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

Salmo,

If I continue with my set of airfield templates, do you want to add them also?

I guess you can add subsets right? So the philstyle airfield templates could be selected, or templates made/submitted by others?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

In case anyone's interested, and bearing in mind that hopefully things will progress (i.e. Salmo continues to go above and beyond the call...!) and the format may well change, here's the library I put together in about 20 minutes from some of the stuff in our "workshop", just as an experiment. So long as you've got a nice text editor and can Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V with gay abandon, it's easy stuff. The lines of text mount up though: this one's already more than 6000 lines long!

https://app.box.com/s/demrdza9qocnc8aa44zn

(Cluelessly, I tried to add another category of template: "Industrial", along with airfields and harbours. Didn't work, obviously!!)
    Last edited by No601_Swallow; May-26-2014 at 06:00.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    191.25 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P) View Post
    Salmo,

If I continue with my set of airfield templates, do you want to add them also?

I guess you can add subsets right? So the philstyle airfield templates could be selected, or templates made/submitted by others?
    Phil,
    Design has changed. users will be able to use any stand-alone mission-template. They'll be able to load any templet or combinatiuon of templates into a mssion file they're building. So to answer your question, yes, continue single airfield templates. There will be no need for a seperate step to incorporate into this utility. The user can just save the template (mission) file. Then use this utility to select the template to use in their mission.
    Last edited by Salmo; May-26-2014 at 18:50.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

can't hear anything over how awesome people are around here...
    MSI GAMING G65 // i7 4770k @ 4.2GHZ // ASUS GTX 780 CUll // 8GB RAM (@1600mhz) // Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit Version
    Thrustmaster T16000 + Saitek x52 Throttle // Saitek Throttle Quadrant // MFG Crosswind Pedals // Track IR 5

www.jagdgeschwader4.de

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    191.25 MB

Thanks for the feedback everyone. New version released (0.2 alpha). See 1st post for DL link & substancial changes to the utility.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    457.02 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Salmo View Post
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. New version released (0.2 alpha). See 1st post for DL link & substancial changes to the utility.
    This is great Lee! Thank you

"The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself". - Archibald Macleish

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Getting better and better!

(I've only tested it a couple of times, but so far the generated .mis file has an empty [Stationary] section (i.e. no static objects). The [Buildings] section is fine, as is indeed, the [Frontmarkers] section. It's very possible - likely even - that I'm doing something wrong, though.)

[It'd be super-fandabidozey if a future iteration could repeat the [Frontmarkers] trick with the [Airdromes] and [Birthplaces] sections. But I know that the [Airdromes] section in particular would cause problems, since - as Philstyle has established, each Airdrome has to have it's own name - at least they don't have to be manually renumbered as I'd thought. If there was a clever way of automatically adding, say, the .mis file's title to each Airdrome's name...Erm. Feature creep? Eek!]
    Last edited by No601_Swallow; May-29-2014 at 17:10.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

A quite nice feature about the way it works at the moment is that if you've got scenery templates as text lists for statics and buildings (as we have in our forum), you can use a "blank" .mis file as a framework, that is a saved empty map (perhaps named "framework.mis" or some such.).

This, I think, is because the tool will use the first .mis file you include as the "base mission" (I think) and insert the bits of other .mis files into that one. At least, I think that's how it works. Thus, so long as you've saved your texts in your source folder with a .mis extension, they should work nicely. That's pretty cool and pretty flexible. Again, many thanks for trail-blazing, Salmo.
    Last edited by No601_Swallow; May-30-2014 at 01:40.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    191.25 MB

.... but so far the generated .mis file has an empty [Stationary] section (i.e. no static objects). ....
    No-stationarys bug fixed. Download link in 1st post updated. Download wizard again Swalllow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Getting shinier! (Nice toolbar!)

Many thanks for fixing the statics thing, Salmo!

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Folks,
    I downloaded and managed set up some folders with mis files loaded but when I tried to create a mission by selecting a map and an airfield. I found the generated mis file and opened it thee was the basic map info and a section named Template wheer the mis file names for the map and the airfied sat. So no detail for objects with nothing for CloD to work with. Maybe I mised a step.
    F/Lt Jacko
    No1 Squadron Yellow 2 (JX-J)
    http://www.tangmerepilots.co.uk

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Jacko, if you're using our "partial" templates (renamed as .mis files), you've got to make sure the first mission is a complete one. If I load, say an old ops mission, plus scenery from various airfields (statics and buildings) it compiles everything into a new .mis file fine. I haven't actually tried with two complete .mis files yet, but I wouldn't think it'd be a problem. It doesn't load airfield and spawnpoint data, though.

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Thanks Swallow, I am sure its a basic error on my side, I will try it again tonight
    F/Lt Jacko

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

It might be worth downloading it again. I've been trying out the MissionLibrary.exe. It's prettier than the MissionWizard.exe.

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I think I follow it now, When I used one of Phil's templates it created a mis file with the buildings and statics and not the spawn points. So it will b really neat when that gets implemented

Cheers
    F/Lt Jacko

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    191.25 MB

Just use "whole" mission files with this utility guys. The wizard will look at the first file in the list of files you select & use that mission file's map when constrcuting your mission fro the templates. I suggest have one 'blank' mission file for each game map & using that file as the first in your selected list.

Spawn bases, spline roads etc haven't been forgotton. I will get to them as soon as I can.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    191.25 MB

First post & DL link updated. Wizard now imports stationary objects, buildings objects, frontmarker objects, AiChiefs (animals/birds etc), spline roads, spawn bases, and local weather front objects from templates. Enjoy.

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    33.38 MB

probléme avec Wizard.exe

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    191.25 MB

Quote Originally Posted by nacy View Post
    probléme avec Wizard.exe

Merci pour le rapport d'erreur nacy. Pardonnez mon google-translation français. Il semble que vous devez aller dans le menu des options et sélectionnez le dossier où se trouvent vos modèles et de scripts.

Thankyou for the error report nacy. Forgive my google-translation French. It looks like you need to go to the options menu and select the folder where your templates and scripts are located.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast