Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To play or not to play... Falcon BMS 4.32?

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    345.02 MB

To play or not to play... Falcon BMS 4.32?

Deleted.
    Last edited by Chuck_Owl; Aug-31-2014 at 12:53.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    460.10 MB

Re: To play or not to play... Falcon BMS 4.32?

I've got it installed, but I kind of have the ass with the whole BMS thing right, so take this for what it's worth...

A few months ago there was a thread over there talking about many of the issues you bring up and about how it would be nice to have an actual, up to date, useable, all in one manual with current install procedures, etc. Instead of the current situation where there's about 7 different ones to hop back and forth between. It didn't take but about 2 pages of "Yes", "that would be fantastic" and "I agree" replies before one of the big wheels over there jumped into the middle of it and basically let it be known that they don't care about manuals or how hard it is to install or find info on how to do the simplest things in game. On the contrary, they are proud of how difficult it is. As a matter of fact, they think that it separates the "really dedicated" from the ranks of the "gamers".

So, if you are dedicated, don't mind the dick dance and prove yourself worthy to install it, tweak it, jack with it and don't mind getting kicked off the forum every couple of months for not posting enough, go for it. Or if you just really want to fly the F-16, they really have done a good job with it.

Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    7.46 MB

I installed BMS, got my controls somewhere near set up, started the game, watched a youtube video of how to startup the engines, couldn't replicate the results (ie nothing happened). Got frustrated, deleted game from HD.

It looks like a great experience, but quite honestly wasn't worth the hassle in my eyes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

Falcon is great fun, I havent flown it in years though, and have no desire to go through the process again either.

Just wait for the DCS jets, there's a Hornet on the way.

And sometime next month, there's a Sabre, not your typical BVR machine you are after by any means but damn that thing is going to be fun.
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4036&dateline=1382347  940

If it's brown, shoot it down!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    8.85 MB

I am a little bias toward BMS Falcon, however I would suggest reading the Manual first. Secondly join a squadron quickest way to get sorted. If you want to short cut the manual, Krause has put together an excellent selection of video tutorials.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...09AA94FF0EACEC

Other than excellent flight models and avionics, BMS boasts one of the best ground campaigns that can be directly affected by what one does in the air. None of the other sims on the market have this campaign complexity. Also, it has a very strong community working to continuing to develop the sim and other aircraft, such as the F18, Harrier, Mig 29, F15, not to mention new terrain, etc.

If you are looking for a challenge and sense of realism and a sim you can fight, BMS is for you.

The 1st VFW offers a training program with an IP (instructor pilot), to help FNG's get into the fight. Here's some of the results of that training program.

If you have any question regarding install or getting started pm me. To get started sign up here http://www.benchmarksims.org/forum/content.php if you already haven't done so.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    345.02 MB

Deleted.
    Last edited by Chuck_Owl; Aug-31-2014 at 12:53.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    141.17 MB

great sim chuck owl in fact it's that good i haven't seen my wingman for 10 weeks since he had success installing it I had a glitch installing only to find out later after I had uninstalled it that all I needed to do was change from 2d view and since then I have not been able to re install it ,much to my annoyance ( but after watching this video I will have another go trying to find what's stopping me in the registry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    8.85 MB

Would be happy to walk you through it. Will pm you with a date, busy season for me right now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    8.85 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Combat Wombat View Post
    great sim chuck owl in fact it's that good i haven't seen my wingman for 10 weeks since he had success installing it I had a glitch installing only to find out later after I had uninstalled it that all I needed to do was change from 2d view and since then I have not been able to re install it ,much to my annoyance ( but after watching this video I will have another go trying to find what's stopping me in the registry.

When you first launch the sim and the options menu comes up go into configuration settings and turn off the "intro movie". This is a problem for many people.

download.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.21 MB

BMS is great. You just need to put things in perspective. BMS Falcon, much like the DCS A-10C, are learning Sims. Complex, but awesome once you've mastered it. Jumping into the cockpit, and then going through the whole start up was a nice immersion for me.

If you have the patience, and are motivated to learn, you'll love BMS. A great group of folks over there.

enjoy!
    Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra, i7-9700k (4.9ghz all cores), NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL-14 3200mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Soundblaster Z, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 1x 512GB Samsung NVMe, 2x 1TB Samsung NVMe, 2TB Samsung SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, EVGA 850 P2 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2 , K-51 Helicopter Collective Control, Reverb G2, SteamVR res: 2820x2760 (80%), nVidia driver 536.23

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    184.7 KB

BMS Falcon is a good, high quality sim. It looks great for its age, well modded, and the gameplay is fantastic. The big downsides are the learning curve. Not so much flying the planes (Check out Tanit's videos) but setting up your controls and getting things running is a big pain in the butt.

If you are interested in playing BMS, jump on Anon6 TS. A few of us are ATAG members, It's a casual community that focuses on DCS and BMS. www.Anon6.com

I love the game, I just wish it wasn't so quirky and difficult to get working.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

LOVE BMS get it, let us help u and lets roll!
    ANON6 - Tactical Group Play | CLOD - DCS SERIES - STAR CITIZEN - ARMA3 | www.anon6.com[/CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

As others have stated, BMS is a pain in the arse to get setup initially, but it is all worth it.

As far as online, I've only done co-op with my buddies but there is this thing called falcon online. I'm not too versed on it but it has a pvp red flag type scenario. I do believe you have to sign up for the campaigns they offer and if I remember correctly they only do ramp starts (so you know have to start the thing up) Keeps the non serious people out

But, check out http://falcon-online.org for better info. I'm still learning the f-16 systems with my buddies so I haven't tried it out yet.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Totally worth the effort.

BMS Bar none there is no equal when it comes to the real time campaign mode. Setup isn't all that difficult. Download the 7 patches and use the installed to install them. You will need to sit down and real the BMS manual to bring you up to speed the rest are nice to haves really. Also there are plenty of tutorials on youtube to get you moving quickly. The game also comes with a few HOTAS profiles to get you going. Also look on the forums there are plenty of folks to get you moving.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    88.69 MB

Just join the 1st.VFW great bunch over there that will help you out.
    http://firstfighterwing.com/VFW/cont...the-front-page

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Chuck_Owl,
    Having started this one from scratch, are you still flying the F-16?
    Tips you want to share?

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    345.02 MB

Deleted.
    Last edited by Chuck_Owl; Aug-31-2014 at 12:54.

Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    463.16 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck_Owl View Post
    Well, I have mixed feelings.

...I realized that I liked flight sims because of the people I flew with, not necessarily because of the planes I flew or the sims I played.

I've no experience with the Falcon BMS community but agree wholeheartedly with your conclusion in general.

Septic.
    [CENTER][CENTER] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]
    [/CENTER]

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    Chuck_Owl,
    Having started this one from scratch, are you still flying the F-16?
    Tips you want to share?
    There's a series of excellent tutorials by Krause that's really good to watch: http://forums.unitedoperations.net/i...torial-videos/
    They cover most important aspects of BMS, though of course there are many things that it doesn't talk about as well. For that I'd definately recommend reading the manual.

As for Chuck's experience, I can understand his sentiment but if that took place on Falcon Online for example or another well established community (http://falcon-online.org/forum/index.php) Teamspeak then I can also understand why he got such a reaction to some simple question, and it didn't come from "alpha male syndrome". Many of these people have been flying the game for years, also working hard on the best online, 24/7 campaigns that exist in any flight sim due to unique capabilities of BMS engine, and it's not exactly a flight school or a noob friendly area where they teach people how to fly, it's not their concern. You really need to know your basics before you jump in there, but once you do, it's really the best online experience you can get in BMS, if you like a competitive team vs team experience of course. But like I said, you need to be past the basic learning period. You can watch a very nice promo movie here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-K5bvaVBRM

By the way, if it wasn't on FO then I'm sorry and Chuck may have just encountered someone who had a bad day, it's hard for me to judge since I don't know the question, circumstances etc.

If you prefer Coops and want to learn in a tactical community, then you can fly with groups like UOAF for example: http://forums.unitedoperations.net/i...orum/151-uoaf/
    They have weekly events with very good tactical spirit and organization, flying both BMS and DCS. You also need to know the basics first, but outside of official events there's usually a bunch of guys able to help with some stuff and bring you up to speed on more complicated issues usually hanging around on TS (UOAF subchannel since it's part of an Arma community), just make sure you at least know some basic stuff like the tutorials I linked, how to use different weapon systems etc.

Anyway, what can I say, until DCS gets a proper modern jet fighter BMS is definately the best fast mover sim out there, especially with its unique campaign engine which allows for dynamic campaigns no other sim can do right now. DCS will be nice once it gets some fast movers like F18 or Su27 (up to DCS level) but until that moment BMS is the way to go if you like fast jets and a complex simulation. Even then, BMS's dynamic campaign is something DCS can't due, instead requiring you to painstaikingly set each mission yourself which takes a lot of effort.
    Last edited by PFT_Endy; Aug-31-2014 at 09:52.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    345.02 MB

Deleted.

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I taught the A10 to plenty of new guys and I write tutorials myself based on the very manuals I read. I take pride in helping and training new guys in every sim I fly and IMHO using the RTFM argument for a yes-or-no question is inexcusable and it IS macho bullsheite. You can't seriously expect to have new guys join a community if that kind of attitude is tolerated.

If you heard that kind of stuff on ATAG, the guy would be shot down in flames by everyone in the teamspeak channel.
    It all depends on the community and an event. ATAG is an open server and as long as you obey the rules they don't care about your skill level. People are relaxed and helpful. On the othejr hand, there are some other communities, especially the more seriously oriented ones expect a certain level of knowledge before you can join them, especially during official/planned events. It's not a proper time to teach anyone and you're expected to know what you're doing if you want to participate. Compare it to squadrons or squadron events, some will take anyone regardless of skill level and some will even have you take tests before you join them, show them that you don't need to be taught the basics.

And it's the same in other games. Take Arma for example and one of the biggest tactical communities, United Operations. They organize very good training sessions, have many tutorials set up, a lot of good reading material, teach you a lot of stuff, offer training servers, but if you join the main server during a game and instead of playing you'll start asking questions about some basics, like how to setup your game or how to use some asset when you took a certain slot, then expect to be shouted at or kicked/banned for disrupting the gameplay. That's because if you join in a certain slot you're expectedto know what you're doing and it is your responsibility, not other people to prepare first.

Like I said, I don't know the exact circumstances so perhaps you're right about your bad experience but to me it sounds a bit like you might have barged in on an event without knowing the rules or conditions in advance or knowing how to handle your game/plane when that was clearly expected of you if you wanted to join in. In other words, you might have been the one to blame but I won't know if you don't present us with more details. But it's usually best to know what you're getting into - if a comunity expect you to have certain level of knowledge of the game then it's you who needs to adjust, not the other way around. Find a community that suits you and your skill level and attitude, it's simple as that, don't be mad that someone did not want to spend his time teaching someone who doesn't know the basics that he should've made an effort to learn himself.

This is all based on what you wrote and my interpretation of what could have happeneds, but if you do provide some more details about the event, exact cirumstances etc. that might be helpful.
    Last edited by PFT_Endy; Aug-31-2014 at 10:50.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    345.02 MB

I know exactly what you mean, Endy, and no, it wasn't during any particular event. If this had been in the middle of an event like SEOW, SOW or the like, I might have understood. But it wasn't.

I have nothing more to say on the matter. I will let people make their own opinion.

Could a mod please delete thid thread? I do not want this thread to turn into a whining fest and I feel there is nothing constructive that can be said on the matter.

Thanks in advance.

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Well then perhaps you just encountered someone who was not in the mood of teaching a new guy or, like I said, that was some community that expects a certain level of knowledge before you join them and not new player oriented.

As for deleting, please don't delete the whole thread, only the posts referring to Chuck's bad experience? There is some valuable stuff in other posts for people who want to try Falcon BMS. A few guys, me included posted links to movies, tutorials etc. so that's helpful to anyone who wants to try it. Cheers.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    345.02 MB

Deleted.

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Neither is it up to you right but only the mods I think right? Unless you can claim ownership of the thread just because you posted first before the thread started living its own life? There's no need to behave like that all because you had some bad experience by a random guy on some random teamspeak you don't even want to mention...

Anyway, my initial reply in the thread was to Slick who was asking for some tips and any other people who might be interested in tutorials etc. Many other people have replied earlier in the same spirit, recommending their communities etc. And now you want to delete it all just because? I really don't want to have some silly argument with you but the fact you don't like some answers or picked up a personal dislike to the game because of some random person telling you to read the manual doesn't mean you should just delete every good piece of information here.

PS. To the Mod: Unless the forum rules say you can indeed request deleting of a thread at any time just because you started it? If there isn't such a rule then can you please not delete everything, only Chuck's posts perhaps? There's a lot of valuable information here by quite a few people for anyone who would like to try BMS. Thank you.
    Last edited by PFT_Endy; Aug-31-2014 at 12:05.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    345.02 MB

Quote Originally Posted by PFT_Endy View Post
    Neither is it up to you right but only the mods I think right? Unless you can claim ownership of the thread just because you posted first before the thread started living its own life? There's no need to behave like that all because you had some bad experience by a random guy on some random teamspeak you don't even want to mention...
    The flight sim world is very a small, tighly knit community and I don't want to have the reputation of naming and shaming people. Especially since everyone kinda knows everyone around these parts. I'm sure you understand what I mean by that.
    Last edited by Chuck_Owl; Aug-31-2014 at 12:39.

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Thanks to all for the info. I know what to do ...

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

The flight sim world is very a small, tighly knit community and I don't want to have the reputation of naming and shaming people. Especially since everyone kinda knows everyone around these parts. I'm sure you understand what I mean by that.
    Then it's your call if you name them or not, it's up to you. I think your fears are unfounded and you've nothing to worry about but it's your choice. Still, no need to delete the whole thread right? Perhaps removing the stuff that's in regard to your experience would be enough?

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    345.02 MB

Quote Originally Posted by PFT_Endy View Post
    Then it's your call if you name them or not, it's up to you. I think your fears are unfounded and you've nothing to worry about but it's your choice. Still, no need to delete the whole thread right? Perhaps removing the stuff that's in regard to your experience would be enough?
    Jesus H. Christ... can't I have a thought of my own or is it too much to ask? What's up with all that drama for a simple forum thread?

There. Deleted my posts. Happy now?

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Jesus H. Christ... can't I have a thought of my own? What's up with all that drama for a simple forum thread?

There. Deleted my posts. Happy now?
    Chuck, I really don't know why you're getting so worked up... You wanted to deleted the whole thread, I suggested that perhaps only your posts get deleted since the rest may contain some useful information for people trying to play BMS. Of course you can have your opinion, I never said otherwise, but please also allow me to have mine as well.

Why are we arguing again?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast