Thread: Rickenbacker 325 John Lennon Build...

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Rickenbacker 325 John Lennon Build...

Here is what I have posted over at the 'MyLesPaul' website.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/luth...ml#post6244034

If you want to see the full photographic progression of this build then click the link above

========================================

This build will be as basic as you I can get...I have no woodwork shop...no bench tools like chop saws and band saws....Only a cheap router table That I bought simply for the trussrod channel. All the work will be done in my kitchen and on a garden table using power tools - Drill, Jigsaw, Plane and a welder for the trussrod shortening....The sculpting will be done with rasps, files ,sandpapers and saws.

I will be using the internet for all my information and references. I will be keeping a track of my hours and of the money spent for anyone interested in this build. The hardware for this build will be as cheap as I can get using the internet although I will be using the exact wood types in ALder and Padauk fretboard. The biggest corner I have cut is in the pickups. I could have bought pickups from Rickenbacker (£160 x3 = £480) or expensive copies and may well at a later date, depending on if the build turns out to be good enough but for now I have bought the cheapest copies that are asthetically exactly the same.

I will be including many photos of this build as I have always been frustrated by jumps in others photo progress...This will literally be a step by step progression thread.

This is my first guitar build.

The Gear

Here is the neck so far....As I say if you want to see all the progression photos thus far then click on the link at the top of this post.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    1.618 - You know this number?
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle
    ATAG_Lewis Youtube Channel

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Re: Rickenbacker 325 John Lennon Build...

Wow, Lewis, this is quite a project! I would have no idea where to begin. I can't play any musical instrument as it is, much less consider building one such as you are doing. My hat is off to you, mate!

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Snapper View Post
    Wow, Lewis, this is quite a project! I would have no idea where to begin. I can't play any musical instrument as it is, much less consider building one such as you are doing. My hat is off to you, mate!
    Well..I did a lot of research first..internet mostly and I have a guitar building book too...but as with most stuff that looks complicated..its not when you know how its done...I felt the same way until I saw the fell in my initial posts thread on the same forum....Then I realised it can be done by someone who doesn't have all the big wood working gear..

I still have time to fall flat on my face yet though..
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Lewis you deserve every credit for attempting this.

I knew a guy who started exactly this way and he was quite successful... hard bodied guitars are not as difficult to build... although perhaps the exact original tone might not be quite there compared to a professionally built model.

Acoustic guitars are another story... much more difficult to get the real quality sound.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

You can do it, Lewis. You're an artist and fine woodworking is just another form of art. Definition of an artist by comparison to other crafts: "a labourer is one who works with the hands, an artisan works with the hands and head while an artist works with the hands, head and heart."
    You don't stop playing because you grow old - you grow old because you stopped playing.

i7 980 @ 3.33 GHz (12 CPUs), Win 7 64-bit, 12 Gig DDR3, Gigabyte GTX 480 4 Gig, Corsair AX1200 PSU, CH Combatstick, CH Pedals, CH Quadrant, Track IR5. Upgrading to a GTX 680 when the wife blinks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Old_Canuck View Post
    Definition of an artist by comparison to other crafts: "a labourer is one who works with the hands, an artisan works with the hands and head while an artist works with the hands, head and heart."
    Hehe...the best artist I know work with their hands and their head..forget the heart....We have one who tends to work with only his hands and his heart and he is totally rubbish...lol

Supporting Member 9./JG52 Ziegler's Avatar
    Coast of Maine - Halfway between the equator and the North Pole
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

You'll do fine Lew. Bolt on's are not so bad and getting that one joint correct is the difference. All Fender's are made this way and the reason why I would never buy one on the net without being able to try it first. They are made in the US, Mexico, Japan, and you can get a beauty or a dog from any of those local's regardless of price. Take your time and have fun with it. It will excellent and yours.
    Corsair 600T-Gigabite Gigabyte Z77-UD5 mobo-I7 Ivy Bridge 3770k@3.5ghz-Scythe Ninja 3 -16g HyperX- EVGA GTX 670 FTW-HyperX SSD-Logitech G19-Cyborg Ratz 9-CH Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and throttle with MFG Crosswind pedals, BenQ 2420T monitor, Track IR-5, Obutto Rev3. http://9jg52.com/

Glückliche sieben

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Lewis View Post
    Hehe...the best artist I know work with their hands and their head..forget the heart....We have one who tends to work with only his hands and his heart and he is totally rubbish...lol
    Point taken but I still hold that without heart it's feeble art.
    You don't stop playing because you grow old - you grow old because you stopped playing.

i7 980 @ 3.33 GHz (12 CPUs), Win 7 64-bit, 12 Gig DDR3, Gigabyte GTX 480 4 Gig, Corsair AX1200 PSU, CH Combatstick, CH Pedals, CH Quadrant, Track IR5. Upgrading to a GTX 680 when the wife blinks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

I am in touch with a fella in the LesPaul forum who made one first..He's in the US...He had access to V91..John Lennons was V81 so this was the tenth guitar built after Lennons.....He has offered to send me a tracing of the body of this guitar because I was struggling to get the body shape correct...

With all the technology in the world you are still reliant on guess work for the body shape as all the photos will incur some type of distortion and foreshortening...I have overlayed over 20 different body shapes including V81 from photos from the internet...none of them match V81 unless I stretch the best V81 photo and even then its is not perfect...

Its a tricky job if you want to make a replica...

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Impressive Lew! I just read through your link and it's looking really well. The neck is looking sweet. Get it to your liking and feel, and your frets properly dressed, and I think the body and bridge will be cake in comparison. The fact that you are using hand tools is all the more cool!
    Corsair 600T-Gigabite Gigabyte Z77-UD5 mobo-I7 Ivy Bridge 3770k@3.5ghz-Scythe Ninja 3 -16g HyperX- EVGA GTX 670 FTW-HyperX SSD-Logitech G19-Cyborg Ratz 9-CH Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and throttle with MFG Crosswind pedals, BenQ 2420T monitor, Track IR-5, Obutto Rev3. http://9jg52.com/

Glückliche sieben

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

I still have to shellac and lacquer this guitar yet but am away for a couple weeks so won't be doing that soon...

This was a 10 day build using DIY everyday hand tools and was done on my garden and kitchen table as a kind of experiment to see if it could be done without a workshop and expensive machinery as you see in so many guitar build threads...and it proves that if you want to bad enough...you can .....and in 10 days!

For a FULL step by step blog with costs and over 80 progression photos in detail then go here....

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/luth...non-build.html

Last edited by ATAG_Lewis; Jul-09-2014 at 09:15.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    141.17 MB

Wish you all the best with your project Lewis , with all those pick-ups I'm thinking it will have a wonderful sound? Please post a sample for us when you've finished ? In life there are people who can do anything they set there minds to and people who are challenged with such tasks but I think it's got more to do with when you were a child and how much encouragement and guidance you where shown by your parent /parents thus setting you up to achieve tasks like yourself .

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

I built one of these guitars out of cardboard when I was 14 referencing Beatle photos from books and magazines...Its the first guitar I ever wanted but these are pretty expensive if they turn up on ebay....you are probably talking £2,500 to £3,500 and I can't justify that much for any guitar...I do have a real Rickenbacker 330...but the short scale 325 was the one I really wanted....so..couldn't buy one..so build one...This has cost around £400 for everything....Although I have skimped on the pickups....Rickenbacker pups cost around £160 each..Thats £480...I got these reproduction pups for £20 each (£60)...They won't sound the same...but I figured...you know if I ever want to in the future...I can always buy some proper jobs..just not at the moment..

This is the first guitar I have built...I might build one more as I have some of the alder still and have half done a neck already but I can't see me making them all the time....It was a lot quicker than I expected...although those 10 days were spread over 3 weeks maybe and I still have more to do with the lacquering..but this is not like restoring a car or building a motorbike...Its relatively short time..so..no big deal once you know the tricks to it...and I couldn't have got anywere without web research and luthier forums........The internet is a wonderful thing..
    Last edited by ATAG_Lewis; Jul-09-2014 at 09:26.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Congrates Lewis that's impressive and in particular your first!

Glückliche sieben

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    161.38 MB

Got the finish sorted yet Lew ?
    =BKHZ=

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Not yet Basha....I'm still working on it....Its a little complicated as any of the oil varnishes will send this dark and mustard yellow....and I want that Rickenbacker 'Mapleglo' or 'Alderglo'......This will keep the purple pink colour and it needs to stay light....I have experimented with shellac as the originals (1958) were but this sent the sample pieces too dark...I am now experimenting with acrylic varnishes to seal the colour tone in which has proven more successful on my samples....and then probably will cellulose over the top for that glossy look...

I'll get there....just takes time on this last stage....

Thanks for the interest fellas...~S~

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

ATAG Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

spot on bud love it

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Thanks Kev...~S~

Varnished..and frets dressed.....All done!

20. Likes LARRY69 liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    161.38 MB

Very nice Lew, have to ask about the finish tho what did you finally go for ? i have been looking at an acoustic kit from these guys in the US so would be handy to know your finishing method if i go for the glossy look.

http://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and...ref_currency=P

=BKHZ=

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

That kit looks pretty good fun to build Bash....Probably harder than the Ric replica I just made.......You have to do the binding around the edge...

As for the finish...I tried cellulose and polyurethane.......The problem I had was that the test pieces went mustard and dark and I wanted to keep that 'alderglo' that Rickenbacker use.....I eventually went onto a wood forum and someone there recommended acrylic varnish...which worked so I used that to seal it and then tested cellulose gloss lacquer over the top...which also worked....so that's what I did in the end....I was worried about a reaction between the acrylic and cellulose but didn't get one....and now it has cured its pretty tough....I will build up some more coats at a later date just to get that depth of laquer...At the moment the cellulose isn't that thick and the contours of the grain can now be seen since the cellulose has settled.....I'll get that glass thick lustre after some more coats of cellulose...

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    161.38 MB

Cool, that was me over at WoodworkUK btw i guess you figured that out lol, you could drop back in there and just say what you did as people like to know the outcome of peoples questions on there, up to you mate.

S!
    =BKHZ=

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Ahhhhhh......No..I didnt know who it was....no idea until just now...hehe...

I'll pop a post over there to tell them what I did...

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Very impressive work...

But now you will need to post an audio file of you playing John's Rhythm parts for "All my Loving"...

26. Likes LARRY69 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

28. Likes Mudcat, LARRY69, ATAG_Jeepy, 9./JG52 Lopp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Very cool, looks like you've had some time since completion, so gotta ask, how you liking it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

I play it every day...I got about 12 guitars...This is the one I play at the moment..Its not a shredder...and the strings are too thick to bend...so its more rhythm, chord play guitar...That's how Lennon played it...

31. Likes Mudcat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Enjoying the fruits of your labor is the important part Got yourself another project lined up yet?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Yeah....Exactly the same guitar...lol....When I bought the wood they sent me 2 more neck blanks of alder...I already had the fretboard blank so I started again...This next one will take a lot longer as I have a lot of work this year but I have done the truss rod and the neck just needs sculpting...I have all the hardware and wood..so its all ready to go...I'll do a couple things differently..ie. the neck was more of a 'D' shape on the last one and I want to make this one a 'C' shape...and I'll put a different nut on it..apart from that it'll be the same...I love them...