Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bomber Buddy Utility

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    262.05 MB

Bomber Buddy Utility

S! All
    One for the Blenheim pilots amongst the community.
    I am no bomber jockey, hence the questions

I'm making a small flight plan utility (Bomber Buddy) which aims to make life a little easier when planning & executing a bomb run.

Now I have a question about IAS and TAS for use with the bomb sight.
    My utility takes IAS and current altimeter altitude as input from the pilot and then calculates and outputs TAS to be used with the bomb sight.
    The calculated TAS is a function of IAS and current altitude and therefore alters if either of these two are different.

Is this how you bomber guys use your bomb sight ?
    The reason I ask is that I've been told that bomb sight TAS is not implemented in CloD, and all you need to do is add 10 mph to the IAS and altitude is ignored.

Bomber Buddy examples:.
    Change altitude
    IAS 180 mph, Alt 17500 ft, TAS = 243 mph

IAS 180 mph, Alt 20000 ft, TAS = 252 mph

Change IAS
    IAS 180 mph, Alt 15000 ft, TAS = 234 mph

IAS 200 mph, Alt 15000 ft, TAS = 260 mph

See attached for view of Bomber Buddy

56th Steerpots(US-T)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg BB.jpg (613.2 KB, 958 views)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    141.17 MB

Re: Bomber Buddy Utility

This looks great ,as I've never worked out the high alt bombing method This would be much appreciated thankyou.

Supporting Member III./ZG76_Saipan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.0 KB

how does it calculate the angle of release?
    ASUS Z370-A, i5 8600k, CM haf-x, EVGA gtx 1660 Ti SC ACX, Antec HC 850, Samsung 120GB SSD , WD Black 1TB, Corsair GSkill 16GB, Creative SB Recon, Creative G500 5.1, ASUS VS248h-P
    Me-110 Black 17 with Hptmn. Hans "AWAC" Warsteiner
    :
    Trust me , I fly a Bf 110 (C2-->C7)

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    262.05 MB

Saipan
    Can you explain angle of release please

Currently BB just supplies the altitude and TAS for input into the bomb sight by the human using the utility

56RAF Steerpots(US-T)

Supporting Member III./ZG76_Saipan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.0 KB

ive never flown a blenny so i assumed of you went over the bombsite max alt the automation wouldn't drop the bombs at the right point. what alt does the blenny site max out at? the loft maxes out at 6km. so if i wanted to bomb at 7k in a He111 i would have to calculate the angle to drop the bombs at. maybe its diff in a blenny.

atag has a similiar utility.
    Last edited by III./ZG76_Saipan; Jun-29-2014 at 04:26.
    ASUS Z370-A, i5 8600k, CM haf-x, EVGA gtx 1660 Ti SC ACX, Antec HC 850, Samsung 120GB SSD , WD Black 1TB, Corsair GSkill 16GB, Creative SB Recon, Creative G500 5.1, ASUS VS248h-P
    Me-110 Black 17 with Hptmn. Hans "AWAC" Warsteiner
    :
    Trust me , I fly a Bf 110 (C2-->C7)

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    15.32 MB

Quote Originally Posted by saipan View Post
    ive never flown a blenny so i assumed of you went over the bombsite max alt the automation wouldn't drop the bombs at the right point. what alt does the blenny site max out at? the loft maxes out at 6km. so if i wanted to bomb at 7k in a He111 i would have to calculate the angle to drop the bombs at. maybe its diff in a blenny.

atag has a similiar utility.
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/utils/lotfe7.html

Blenny site is a visual site with no automation. Bombing angle is set once you enter speed and altitude. Max alt is 20,000 feet, above that it is trial and error by reducing speed to get a lower angle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Quote Originally Posted by 69th Steerpots View Post
    S! All
    The reason I ask is that I've been told that bomb sight TAS is not implemented in CloD, and all you need to do is add 10 mph to the IAS and altitude is ignored.
    It's a controversial subject.

In CloD TAS is implemented for (He 111, Ju 88) Lotfe bombsight.

But seems that Blenheim Wimperis bombsight (and Fiat Br.20 one) are calibrated for IAS...

This +10 MPH is for bombing above 10 or 15k feets, there's a divergence between IAS indicator in
    bombardier cockpit and the one in pilot instrument panel.

Other thing to consider is, the RL rules for IAS> TAS conversion dont apply well for CloD (and 1946), the factor used is based on "Dr.WhO'leg World".

Sokol1

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

S! All
    It's a controversial subject.

In CloD TAS is implemented for (He 111, Ju 88) Lotfe bombsight.

But seems that Blenheim Wimperis bombsight (and Fiat Br.20 one) are calibrated for IAS...

This +10 MPH is for bombing above 10 or 15k feets, there's a divergence between IAS indicator in bombardier cockpit and the one in pilot instrument panel.

Other thing to consider is, the RL rules for IAS> TAS conversion dont apply well for CloD (and 1946), the factor used is based on "Dr.WhO'leg World".

Related (to Blenheim) bombsight topic:

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.co...heim+bombsight

And you need include the wind factor to determine side slip.

Some Russian pilots (e.g. UAI_Skrab) affirm that target altitude is not modeled for level bomb calculations, that only release angle matter (in case, for He 111)...

It's CLoD.

Sokol1

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    262.05 MB

S! and thanx Sokol1 (1lokos) for your replies.

I've implemented IAS to TAS conversion using your Dr WhOleg factors.

Next question is how is side slip calculated?

56RAF Steerpots(US-T)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    141.17 MB

S! and thanx Sokol1 (1lokos) for your replies.

I've implemented IAS to TAS conversion using your Dr WhOleg factors.

56RAF Steerpots(US-T)
    licking your finger and sticking it out the side window is a good method, sorry just had too

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    262.05 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Combat Wombat View Post
    licking your finger and sticking it out the side window is a good method, sorry just had too
    Combat Wombat I know somewhere else you could stick that finger, best lick it beforehand though

56RAF Steerpots(US-T)

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    262.05 MB

S! All
    **** Latest version of Bomber Buddy released, see latest post****

Constructive feedback is welcomed.

56RAF Steerpots(US-T)
    Last edited by Steerpots; Jul-09-2014 at 09:14.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Look at the 3rd and 4th calculations in this emulator:

http://www.csgnetwork.com/e6bcalc.html

Sokol1

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Combat Wombat View Post
    quit giving away our trade secrets!!!

"My idea of flying is to have a group take off together, stick together, fight together, try to accomplish the mission together and hopefully all land together" - AKA_Recon

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

S! All
    Find attached the 1st release of my Bomber Buddy Utility (v 3.1)

Read the ReadMe.txt for install and usage details

Constructive feedback is welcomed.

56RAF Steerpots(US-T)
    Thanks - will try it out!

"My idea of flying is to have a group take off together, stick together, fight together, try to accomplish the mission together and hopefully all land together" - AKA_Recon

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    262.05 MB

S! All

*** Latest version of Bomber Buddy released, see latest post***

56RAF Steerpots(US-T)
    Last edited by Steerpots; Jul-09-2014 at 09:17.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

I have rarely remembered to input altitude corrections, and have never made wind calculations. On stabilized, well executed raids on airfields from up to 19,600', I have never missed. However, an airfield is pretty east to hit!

Some of the Blennie Meisters (DRock comes to mind) have successfully gone against shipping at up to 8,000'. I bet they could give you good advice on truly precision use of the bombsight. I'm just a carpet bomber.
    Last edited by Baffin; Jul-08-2014 at 12:44.
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

A simple mission from Canterbury to: WP1=Deal to WP2=Manston to Target=Dunkirk Harbor.

Attack & Bombsight Altitude=4,000 ft.
    IAS=200 TAS=212

Return From target=Dunkirk Harbor via: WP3=Manston, to WP4=Deal to Return Base=Canterbury.

Observations: The only blank fields are Heading WP1 and [Target Egress] Heading Return Base.

Recommendations: Add a selector for the number of waypoints. On this mission, I would ordinarily fly Canterbury>Deal>Dunkirk, and have only one waypoint at Deal. Some missions may require more than 2 Waypoints.

Comment: I really hope this will work when I fly it later today. I started to independently "Flight Check" different routes using dead reckoning and was unable to find a way to plot the courses accurately. I ended up with a list of course between "Here" and "There" for my own use. Variation rules sometimes worked and sometimes didn't. I sincerely hope you have "broken the code" for navigating in CLoD!

This is a terrific undertaking. It will aid many players in true navigation training as opposed to the current "Fly to France, then turn left" method used by most. Best of luck with it!
    Last edited by Baffin; Nov-23-2016 at 10:49. Reason: Link added
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    262.05 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Fidget View Post

A simple mission from Canterbury to: WP1=Deal to WP2=Manston to Target=Dunkirk Harbor.

Attack & Bombsight Altitude=4,000 ft.
    IAS=200 TAS=212

Return From target=Dunkirk Harbor via: WP3=Manston, to WP4=Deal to Return Base=Canterbury.

Observations: The only blank fields are Heading WP1 and [Target Egress] Heading Return Base.

Recommendations: Add a selector for the number of waypoints. On this mission, I would ordinarily fly Canterbury>Deal>Dunkirk, and have only one waypoint at Deal. Some missions may require more than 2 Waypoints.
    S! Fidget
    Thank you very much for the feedback.

The issue with the missing waypoints has been addressed, was down to my inability to spell Canterbury correctly in every instance.

To use fewer waypoints just make waypoints the same e.g. Canterbury>Deal>Deal>Dunkirk Harbour and then Dunkirk Harbour>Deal>Deal>Canterbury.

Ability to choose the number of waypoints makes a lot of sense, I'll have a look and see what I can do to implement this.

Will release an update later today, and again thanks for the feedback.

56RAF Steerpots(US-T)

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    262.05 MB

Bomber Buddy Utility v 4.2

S! All
    *** Latest version of Bomber Buddy released, see latest post***

Updated thanks to feedback from ATAG Fidget

Changes:
    1. version 4.2
    2. Fixed issue with mis-spelling of Canterbury
    3. Added tabs for waypoints
    4. Updated Install and Usage text

Install Bomber Buddy folder to anywhere on your HDD.
    Read the Install and Usage tab.

Additional bases, waypoints and targets will be added if there is a
    demand for them.

Constructive feedback is encouraged and welcomed.

56RAF Steerpots(US-T)
    Last edited by Steerpots; Jul-15-2014 at 06:47.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

Just a thought...

Many targets are not listed, such as the armored division near Wormout. (The actual target associated with my Dunkirk flight plan above.) I know that including them in the Targets list is a lot to ask, but please consider providing some way to place them in the flight plan.

This opens up another can of worms (no pun intended) when the next request from pilots will be the ability to choose random waypoints without pulling them from a list at all.

Examples: 9 miles Northeast of Deal
    Deal 065 degree bearing (Radial) at nine miles
    Map coordinate AZ 25.2
    etc., etc.

For me, this is most important when using long distance, low level navigation since the element of surprise is lost if a climb for visual acquisition of the target is required. If I can go from Dunkirk to the target at 100' AGL, they will never know what hit 'em. But it isn't easy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

Finally flew at 100' AGL/MSL ...

Flew BB course from Deal to Dunquerke. Spot on at the Harbor!
    Flew BB course from Ramsgate to Dunquerke. less than a mile right of course at the harbor. [Suspect pilot error]

Seems to work as well as celestial navigation or dead reckoning!

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    262.05 MB

Just a thought...

Many targets are not listed, such as the armored division near Wormout. (The actual target associated with my Dunkirk flight plan above.) I know that including them in the Targets list is a lot to ask, but please consider providing some way to place them in the flight plan.
    S! Fidget
    My planned development path is:
    Bomber Buddy will have more waypoint tabs...thinking 4 is sufficient, opinions invited.
    Bomber Buddy will have more home bases, waypoints and targets... if there is a demand/request from pilots
    Bomber Buddy will have the distance between waypoints.
    Bomber Buddy will have a fuel load calculation.
    Bomber Buddy will will have the ability to store favourite flight plans.

If you, or indeed anyone has a request for
    a new home base
    a new waypoint
    a new target

Then just ask, and give details if not an actual airfield or named geographical feature.
    e.g. your request to make the armoured division near Wormout a target needs a bit more detail as to actual position.

56RAF Steerpots(US-T)
    Last edited by Steerpots; Jul-10-2014 at 02:51.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

S! Fidget
    My planned development path is:
    Bomber Buddy will have more waypoint tabs...thinking 4 is sufficient, opinions invited.
    Bomber Buddy will have more home bases, waypoints and targets... if there is a demand/request from pilots
    Bomber Buddy will have the distance between waypoints.
    Bomber Buddy will have a fuel load calculation.
    Bomber Buddy will will have the ability to store favourite flight plans.

If you, or indeed anyone has a request for
    a new home base
    a new waypoint
    a new target

Then just ask, and give details if not an actual airfield or named geographical feature.
    e.g. your request to make the armoured division near Wormout a target needs a bit more detail as to actual position.

56RAF Steerpots(US-T)

Wormout Armor Map coordinates: AZ 25.2 by my reckoning. Mission briefings have the developers' coordinates for all targets.

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    262.05 MB

Bomber Buddy Utility v 5.0

S! all
    ***Latest version of Bomber Buddy released; see latest post below

Changes
    1. version 5.0
    2. All data files incorporated into executable file
    3. Single file download
    4. Splash screen introduced
    5. Tabs for up to 4 waypoints each way
    6. Updated Install and Usage text

Installation:
    Put the .exe file into a folder anywhere you like on your PC HDD.
    Pin .exe to your taskbar or make a shortcut for your desktop.

Usage:
    Run the utility
    Read the Install and usage tab

Feedback encouraged and welcomed

56RAFSteerpots(US-T)
    Last edited by Steerpots; Jul-18-2014 at 06:55.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

Personal Preference:

I find the Target Egress box counter-intuitive. I would prefer Target>Waypoint 3>Waypoint 4> Return Base displayed from left to right.

Is there a hotkey to bring up the BB5? Can I assign one?

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    262.05 MB

Personal Preference:

I find the Target Egress box counter-intuitive. I would prefer Target>Waypoint 3>Waypoint 4> Return Base displayed from left to right.

Is there a hotkey to bring up the BB5? Can I assign one?
    S! Fidget
    In reverse order
    Will implement hotkeys for minimising and restoring the GUI window

I have designed the ingress and egress to represent flying too and from the target, hence the left to right /right to left layout for ingress/egress.
    The layout is based on one way to plan the route in and the opposite to plan the route back.
    Seems intuitive to me, however I can accept that others will not see it as that.

EDIT: On review, I agree with you and will change the order of the waypoints for egress.

Keep the feedback coming please !

56RAF Steerpots(US-T)
    Last edited by Steerpots; Jul-18-2014 at 06:54.

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    262.05 MB

Bomber Buddy Utility v 5.1

S! all
    ***Latest version of Bomber Buddy released July 23rd; see my latest post below***

Updated thanks to ongoing feedback from ATAG Fidget

Changes
    1. version 5.1
    2. User configurable hotkeys to minimize and restore the Bomber Buddy GUI.
    3. Order of waypoints reversed for target egress;now reads from left to right.
    4. Updated Install and Usage text.

Installation:
    Put the .exe file into a folder anywhere you like on your PC HDD.
    Pin .exe to your taskbar or make a shortcut for your desktop.

Usage:
    Run the utility
    Read the Install and usage tab

Feedback encouraged and welcomed

56RAFSteerpots(US-T)
    Last edited by Steerpots; Jul-23-2014 at 13:37.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

Snapper...

Bomber Buddy works well! Please consider making it sticky.

Steerpots,

Bomber Buddy is very useful for fighters as well, but may be overlooked by the fast-movers due to the name. Renaming to "Fighter Bomber Buddy", "Nav Buddy", "Bomb-Nav Buddy", etc., or some variant of your choice may prevent this.

I recommend you add a sequence number to the file name to indicate the version. Example: I have renamed version 5.1 Bomber Buddy.zip to "Bomber Buddy 51.zip" This allows me to revert to V5 if necessary.
    Last edited by Baffin; Jul-18-2014 at 08:24.

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    262.05 MB

Bomber Buddy is very useful for fighters as well, but may be overlooked by the fast-movers due to the name. Renaming to "Fighter Bomber Buddy", "Nav Buddy", "Bomb-Nav Buddy", etc., or some variant of your choice may prevent this.

I recommend you add a sequence number to the file name to indicate the version. Example: I have renamed version 5.1 Bomber Buddy.zip to "Bomber Buddy 51.zip" This allows me to revert to V5 if necessary.
    S! Fidget
    I will be doing a version for fighters which will also include headings to waypoints, distances to waypoints and fuel load calculator(actually this was my starting point before BB distracted me).
    Nomenclature for zip files taken onboard and will be used in future.

You also may be interested in my auto launch utility CloD Lite (see separate thread under Utilities Forum).
    I will also do a CloD Full version that will launch everything that pilots use for flying (TiR, Powergrid, TS etc).

56RAF Steerpots(US-T)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast