Thread: Course setter and directional gyro - should I?

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Course setter and directional gyro - should I?

Hey gang,

Ok so about that course setter and directional gyro thing - is this something that would benefit me as an offliner to take to the time to learn and use?
    I noticed in the Hurricane and Spitfire sticky threads, the below are recommended for assigning to controls.
    course setter - increase
    course setter - decrease

directional gyro - increase
    directional gyro - decrease

I am having a blast flying Cliffs of Dover TF4.312 in user made offline campaigns, really loving it. At the same time, I want to learn anything I can that will help me get the absolute most out of this great sim.

So, I am asking advise from you guys - do you use this, and should I figure out how to use? If so, is there a tutorial or information anywhere I can learn from?

Thanks for any tips,
    Don B

EVGA X79 Dark MB | Intel I-7 4820K@4.50 ghz | Corsair H100i Cooling System | 16 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 Mhz ram | EVGA GTX 1080 FTW|2 ea Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB SSD's |NZXT Phantom 820 Case | TM Warthog w/ 7.5cm Ext by Sajah|MFG Crosswinds Pedals|Oculus Rift|Windows 10 64 Bit |

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Re: Course setter and directional gyro - should I?

Hi Don,

Actually, I made a tutorial video that is about 17 minutes in duration -- about 16 minutes too long! LOL I never published it for that reason. In this epic video I demonstrate tracking down a fighter bomber using the TAB 7 1 feature in conjunction with using the course setter and directional gyro. I'll take a look at it today, trim it down, and get it out to the world.

Most online players probably use the compass very little or not at all. Others like myself use it constantly. I see on the server chat frequent references to "how retarded the compass system is on the RAF planes". I'd be the first to say it can be a PITA at times, but using it has become second nature for me.

But you're right. First assign four keys/joystick buttons to handle the +/- controls of the CS and DG. Also, do yourself a favour and make a small custom window to have these readings actually show on the screen. Give 'em a duration of only 15 seconds or so, so they fade away quickly after you use them.

I'll post the link to my greatly edited epic tutorial here.

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Snapper View Post
    Hi Don,

Actually, I made a tutorial video that is about 17 minutes in duration -- about 16 minutes too long! LOL I never published it for that reason. In this epic video I demonstrate tracking down a fighter bomber using the TAB 7 1 feature in conjunction with using the course setter and directional gyro. I'll take a look at it today, trim it down, and get it out to the world.

Most online players probably use the compass very little or not at all. Others like myself use it constantly. I see on the server chat frequent references to "how retarded the compass system is on the RAF planes". I'd be the first to say it can be a PITA at times, but using it has become second nature for me.

But you're right. First assign four keys/joystick buttons to handle the +/- controls of the CS and DG. Also, do yourself a favour and make a small custom window to have these readings actually show on the screen. Give 'em a duration of only 15 seconds or so, so they fade away quickly after you use them.

I'll post the link to my greatly edited epic tutorial here.
    Awesome, thanks so much Snapper I will be looking forward to it!
    I already have a small info window in the lower right of my screen I use to temporarily display other info, like flaps, gear, etc. I guess I could just add that to that window as well...

Thanks so much!

Edit: Ok I have assigned keys to both Course Setter and DG Increase and Decrease, created the macros in Target and assigned to my mic hat on the throttle.
    Ready to learn!
    Last edited by dburne; Jul-19-2014 at 12:09.
    Don B

EVGA X79 Dark MB | Intel I-7 4820K@4.50 ghz | Corsair H100i Cooling System | 16 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 Mhz ram | EVGA GTX 1080 FTW|2 ea Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB SSD's |NZXT Phantom 820 Case | TM Warthog w/ 7.5cm Ext by Sajah|MFG Crosswinds Pedals|Oculus Rift|Windows 10 64 Bit |

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

If you get used to how P-8 Compass work you can dispense Directional Gyro.

The trick is learn read this scale inverted - if needle point on left half the actual direction the opposed in right half, leaving the Course Setter with North at 12:00 o'clock.

Sokol1
    Last edited by 1lokos; Jul-19-2014 at 13:27.

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Also, do yourself a favour and make a small custom window to have these readings actually show on the screen. Give 'em a duration of only 15 seconds or so, so they fade away quickly after you use them.

Quote Originally Posted by d.burnette View Post
    I already have a small info window in the lower right of my screen I use to temporarily display other info, like flaps, gear, etc. I guess I could just add that to that window

Gents,
    Forgive my ignorance,
    How do you create a small window ... Showing in-flight instrument information??

Thanks.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    Gents,
    Forgive my ignorance,

Thanks.
    Have a look here:

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.co...ighlight=lewis
    Don B

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    Gents,
    What they are talking about is not really a instrument reading (Course Setter, D.Gyro...) in real time, but a information that Courser Setter, Directional Gyro... etc,
    is being adjusted. Like "Course Setter: 81º", "DI: 76º".

Alternatively you need read this adjust in instrument scale, what is difficult due parallax angles on cockpit (3D/6DOF restrictions).
    Mouse over instrument pop-up show only if the adjust is Increase or Decrease.

Anyway you can create a real instrument information, but in a second display (Monitor, Tablet...) :

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.co...ght=devicelink

Sokol1
    Last edited by 1lokos; Jul-19-2014 at 18:32.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Well I have my info window set up to show me information like:
    Flaps up/neutral/down
    gear up/neutral/down
    Convergence settings
    And now Course Setter and DG settings.

I have all these commands programmed to my Warthog, so I can push a button and watch the settings change in the info window.
    Like when I am reducing the range for my site for convergence, I have where I hold the button and it continues to reduce until I release the button, and I watch the numbers in the info window to get where I want it set to...

And as Snapper suggested, I have it set to show only briefly then it fades away ( 5 seconds I think is how I have mine set).

I find it very handy to have.
    Don B

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

So I am flying the 111 SQ Hurri campaign currently ( Hun in the Sun).

My next mission was a transfer, from Croydon to North Weald.
    It was a cold start mission, which was awesome.
    So first I opened the canopy and got the engine started, then whilst it was warming up I got my gunsights set for convergence, then I did the Course Setter and DG adjustment to get the compass calibrated, then I successfully taxi'd out behind my flight leader, got to the runway - hit the autopilot just briefly to announce I was ready to takeoff, took it off autopilot, we got the clearance to take off and I followed behind my leader down the runway into the air. Wow, what a great feeling of accomplishment.

I am currently trying to learn this course setter and directional gyro thing, man they sure get out of alignment easily, but got it recalibrated for the trip to " homeplate" lol, and was able to get the bearing and follow my compass to " homeplate"... and of course managed to dispense of a couple of 109's on the transfer route.

Have I mentioned lately how much I love this sim? !!!
    Don B

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

So I am flying the 111 SQ Hurri campaign currently ( Hun in the Sun).

My next mission was a transfer, from Croydon to North Weald.
    It was a cold start mission, which was awesome.
    So first I opened the canopy and got the engine started, then whilst it was warming up I got my gunsights set for convergence, then I did the Course Setter and DG adjustment to get the compass calibrated, then I successfully taxi'd out behind my flight leader, got to the runway - hit the autopilot just briefly to announce I was ready to takeoff, took it off autopilot, we got the clearance to take off and I followed behind my leader down the runway into the air. Wow, what a great feeling of accomplishment.

I am currently trying to learn this course setter and directional gyro thing, man they sure get out of alignment easily, but got it recalibrated for the trip to " homeplate" lol, and was able to get the bearing and follow my compass to " homeplate"... and of course managed to dispense of a couple of 109's on the transfer route.

Have I mentioned lately how much I love this sim? !!!
    Here ya go, Don; first draft:

http://youtu.be/8-p8Iot0W6M

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Here ya go, Don; first draft:

http://youtu.be/8-p8Iot0W6M

Awesome, thanks so much Snapper! Loved the humor as well! lol...

This is a huge help, I really appreciate your taking the time to do this!
    Last edited by dburne; Jul-20-2014 at 19:55.
    Don B

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Hey Snapper, question for ya:

What do you have your brakes assigned to - toe brake on your Saitek Pedals?

I just have mine assigned to a button on the stick currently, so it is either 100% or 0%... beneficial to have it assigned to an axis like toe brakes?
    I noticed in your vid it showed varying degrees of percentage is reason I ask.
    Don B

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Hey Snapper, question for ya:

What do you have your brakes assigned to - toe brake on your Saitek Pedals?

I just have mine assigned to a button on the stick currently, so it is either 100% or 0%... beneficial to have it assigned to an axis like toe brakes?
    I noticed in your vid it showed varying degrees of percentage is reason I ask.
    I have brakes assigned to an axis lever on my CH Quadrant. Very controllable and I never go nose down anymore and rarely groundloop (unless I'm sloppy on my landing run out).

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I have brakes assigned to an axis lever on my CH Quadrant. Very controllable and I never go nose down anymore and rarely groundloop (unless I'm sloppy on my landing run out).
    I have added the CH Quadrant as well, may have to give that a try , thanks.
    Don B