Thread: Start up issue

The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

Start up issue

I have an odd thing happening to my PC.

Upon start up, sometimes it sounds like on of my fans may be hitting something but then goes away. Been like this for as long as I can remember and have never seen anything in the way of any fans.

It also has never caused any issues but the last 4 start ups I get a Disk Boot Failure and asks me if I want to launch with modified BIOS settings or go into the BIOS. I go into the BIOS, look at my settings, change nothing, click save and exit, and the PC starts up perfectly and everything runs fine.

What gives?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    121.95 MB

Re: Start up issue

I get the same sort of thing happening to my fan - a buzzing like something is brushing against it but is remedied by a good whack on the side of the case!

About the disk boot error... Try checking the leads into the disk, one may be loose. Funny that it should work after going into the BIOS though...

The only other advice I can give is to look up "how to banish gremlins from computer" on Google and follow one of the methods outlined...

"Speed is life. Altitude is life insurance. Surprise is key."

~ AMD FX-4100 3.6GHz (OC to 4GHz) ~ 8GB RAM ~ ASUS GTX1050Ti Phoenix 4GB ~
    T.16000M ~ TWCS Throttle ~ TFRP Pedals ~ DIY IR Headtracker

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

Troubleshooting should be easy ... just unplug a fan each night to find out which makes a racket during cold startup.

I had this problem and replaced my CPU Fans from the original bushing fans to fans with ball bearings. They no longer make noise during startup since the ball bearings don't need to heat up like worn bushings do to establish proper clearances.

The boot start error used to bother me, so I reset the warning's lower limit in the bios to prevent sensing a low RPM. It's a cheat, but as long as it rotates at least 300 RPM, I don't worry about it. I monitor it, and it'll still alert at very low speeds.

If you think the boot drive is causing problems, I suggest an immediate replacement. Use the old drive for backup clones.
    Last edited by Baffin; Mar-26-2017 at 15:44.
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    16.32 MB

Quote Originally Posted by kiwiflieger View Post
    is remedied by a good whack on the side of the case!
    I like Kiwi technichal approach

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.73 MB

First thing to do is re-seat every connection.
    Not sure how comfortable you will be with this but opening up the PC, disconnecting everything (except taking the CPU out of the socket), cleaning it and plugging it back in, solves many "random" issues like this.

Do not clean with water or even alcohol as it is diluted in water. Most can just be blown with air and things like the memory connectors can be cleaned with an eraser (yes, the one in the back of the pencil).

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

Sweet thanks guys! I'll give it a go once I get back home.

Kiwi, lol that's what I've done, a little tap on the side and it goes away. Im thinking Baffin and Colander are right, a lose connection plus I haven't cleaned her in a while.

Thanks again for the tips gents!

7. Likes ATAG_kiwiflieger liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Colander View Post
    First thing to do is re-seat every connection.
    Not sure how comfortable you will be with this but opening up the PC, disconnecting everything (except taking the CPU out of the socket), cleaning it and plugging it back in, solves many "random" issues like this.

Do not clean with water or even alcohol as it is diluted in water. Most can just be blown with air and things like the memory connectors can be cleaned with an eraser (yes, the one in the back of the pencil).
    Had a few connections that weren't all the way out but for sure not fully seated. I also saw that my SSD drive's bracket cracked on one side so I'm wondering if some of the vibration was coming from that... there is a fan right in front of it.

I'll grab a new bracket tomorrow and go from there, but I'm hoping to have found the issues.

Thanks guys.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    477.16 MB

Quote Originally Posted by kiwiflieger View Post
    a good whack on the side of the case!
    becarefull with a good wack, Hard disks don't like it.
    Asus ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming|Intel Core i7 8700K 4,4Ghz|NZXT Kraken x52 all-in-one liquid cooler|16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 3000MHZ | ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Super Gaming OC 8G|ASUS 27" Gaming Monitor ROG Swift PG278Q
    |Samsung M2 970 EVO Plus, 500 GB SSD |Antec High Current Pro 850WATT |VKB Gunfighter Mk.II with MCG Pro grip | Saitek X52 Pro Flight Throttle |VKB-Sim T-Rudder Pedals Mk.IV |BU0836A 12-Bit Joystick Controller|win10 64bit Home Edition|Opentrack-pointtracker/Facetracknoir EDTracker Pro wireless

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

Fixed the SSD bracket and now I don't get the noise but my boot issue is still there. I tried the same thing, just go into BIOS, save and exit, and computer started up. The last time I tried selecting the option of load optimized settings and reboot and that seems to have fixed the boot error but now I have two issues.

1. At start up, when I get the 4 blue windows (10) and the loading circle logo it takes roughly 50 seconds to reach my log in. Before all this started it took maybe 3 seconds.

2. My Ethernet connection is not being detected and the troubleshoot just says my wireless is disabled. The only fix is letting windows turn it back on and using wifi.

Here is a screen grab of my connection error:

Untitled.jpg
    Last edited by ♣_Spiritus_♣; Mar-29-2017 at 11:37.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

Not sure what is happening now. I noticed my audiobox wasn't working either so I updated those drivers which required a restart. Restarted and now I don't have the ethernet issue, is connected right away, however I noticed this error:

Untitled.jpg

The only thing I've found online is to reset the BIOS. Wanted to ask here before I have to do that.

EDIT: Just restarted and still have the slow start up and my ethernet is again not launching. Same as the above photo.
    Last edited by ♣_Spiritus_♣; Mar-29-2017 at 11:55.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    16.32 MB

I hate to be delivering bad news to you Spiritus, but the sympthoms start to emerge as a classic case of motherboard deasease, incurable. Failure of the organs and will most likely die. You have to consider to take it to the shop and ask for more advice.

What caused it? Well a power surge, old age, circuits burn with time and temperature changes... how long did she serve you?

Some inspirational flick for you

Last edited by ATAG_Lolsav; Mar-29-2017 at 12:06.

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    355.85 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 69th_Spiritus_Mortem View Post
    Not sure what is happening now. I noticed my audiobox wasn't working either so I updated those drivers which required a restart. Restarted and now I don't have the ethernet issue, is connected right away, however I noticed this error:

Untitled.jpg

The only thing I've found online is to reset the BIOS. Wanted to ask here before I have to do that.

EDIT: Just restarted and still have the slow start up and my ethernet is again not launching. Same as the above photo.
    This sounds similar to what I had happen when my first SSD took a shit ... if I were you I'd go grab CrystalDiskInfo from http://crystalmark.info/software/Cry...o/index-e.html and check the health of your ssd, see if its failing. Also have you tried scandisk?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

@Lolsav, the motherboard and CPU would be roughly 5 years old almost to the month.

@Phoenix, the SSD is less than a year old, I hope that it isn't failing!

After reading your suggestions I started up the PC again and it was back to its lightening self on start up but still have the ethernet and the engine interface issue.

I copied over my TFS material from my SSD to my HDD just incase it is my SSD.

Restarted it again to really see if the speed was back but it isn't. Took over a minute this time to get to my log in.
    Last edited by ♣_Spiritus_♣; Mar-29-2017 at 12:19.

15. Likes ATAG_Lolsav liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

Unplugged everything inside the computer, removed my GPU, took out the motherboard battery and replaced it, reset the CMOS, still the same shit.

Lolsav, do you think it could be a BIOS update rather than a dying motherboard>?

EDIT:

Possible solution, was working but needed to go to bed. I looked up windows update history and there was a big cumulative update that installed right before I started to notice issues. So it got me thinking about a BIOS update. I searched for a while in the depths of the www and found an updated BIOS file for my MB. It was dated December 2016 so I knew it was newer than what I had. installed it and rebooted. Computer wouldn't even turn on.

I sat there for about 3 minutes fuming and then it turned on, booted up super fast. Checked my device manager and had zero errors. Restarted it a few times and unplugged it and started it again. Seems fixed.

So for anyone out there it seems like a windows 10 update caused me to have to update my BIOS. At least that's all I can think of that it was.
    Last edited by ♣_Spiritus_♣; Mar-30-2017 at 01:42.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    319.97 MB

Glad to hear! I hope that was it.

I can vividly imagine those three minutes...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    16.32 MB

Glad my "Furiosa" flick made some voodoo

Again, the sympthoms you described indicated something related with motherboard. And by what you wrote, it was, in Bios. Hopefully all will be ok now

We need our Spiritus lifted