Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: After the merge.......

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

After the merge.......

......will the upcoming Spitfire IX cut it against the Dora and the Kurfurst? Or will this be strictly Spitfire XIV country?

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Re: After the merge.......

Snapper, I am so looking forward to answering that question. Whatever the answer, us Sim guys have a lot to look forward too. ~S~
    i7 6700k,Asus Maximus hero,16g Ddr4 3000,samsung 950 pro,GTX 970 HOF ,Samsung 256 ssd,Tir 5,Thrustmaster Warthog, Saitek Cessna pedals,Coolermaster 1KW power.

Veteran Combat pilot 3./JG51_Heiden's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

On paper the performance doesn't bode well for a Spitfire IX unless any sort of turning engagement occurs, in which case the 109's superior speed and power will be somewhat negated.
    Oblt. Jochen Heiden
    3./Jagdgeschwader 51
    162 Confirmed Kills - "Ace In A Day" Club Member

HARDWARE:
    - i7 2600k @ 4.6GHz
    - 16gig DDR3-1600
    - Intel 128GB SSD
    - MSI GTX 660ti 2GB OC'd

Check out my Youtube Channel for great videos of aircraft destruction and Bf-109 training instruction!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCou...QRue1omZ-INlag

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Interesting times. I'm getting both Spits, so it's going to be fun finding out.

Thanks for your replies.

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by 3./JG51_Heiden View Post
    On paper the performance doesn't bode well for a Spitfire IX unless any sort of turning engagement occurs, in which case the 109's superior speed and power will be somewhat negated.
    Guess it's a good thing these things don't play out on paper then

Spit IX should still be ok, especially if those 109 wings keep snapping like they do now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Mudcat View Post
    Guess it's a good thing these things don't play out on paper then

Spit IX should still be ok, especially if those 109 wings keep snapping like they do now.
    Hmmm. Not sure what you mean. If the Kurfurst and the Dora engaged in a turning fight with the Spits to the extent of snapping their wings, then they have already surrendered the initiative anyway. If they use boom & zoom vertical tactics with their superior speed, climb, and dive capabilities to build and maintain the fight initiative, how do they snap their wings?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Snapper View Post
    Hmmm. Not sure what you mean. If the Kurfurst and the Dora engaged in a turning fight with the Spits to the extent of snapping their wings, then they have already surrendered the initiative anyway. If they use boom & zoom vertical tactics with their superior speed, climb, and dive capabilities to build and maintain the fight initiative, how do they snap their wings?
    Was a joke about the current status of the 109K-4 and how easily you can pop a wing off. http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=134839

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

It mostly depends on whether the 150 octane fuel will be modelled or not. If not, then I don't think it looks good for the Spit IX competitively speaking. It's a plane designed in 1942 to fight against early Bf109-Gs and Fw190As being pitted against planes from late 1944. If it does have the Merlin 66 engine with 150 octane fuel and 21lbs of boost then I'd say it's got at least a fighting chance in the hands of a comptetent pilot.

@Snapper - The 109K has a bug at present where the wings will snap at about 4Gs, which isn't remotely historically accurate. You can tear a wingtip off simply by going into an evasive Split-S in the 109 at present. But beta is beta and I'm sure it'll be fixed sooner or later.

Personally I continue to hold the opinion that I'd rather see a Tempest V in the game than any of the later Spitfires simply because it's a more competitive machine, but I don't think one is even so much as on the drawing board at the moment. We're going to get a Typhoon from VEAO sooner or later but historically that was a plane that posed more danger to its own pilot than the enemy so I'm not exactly ecstatic with anticipation. It think things will be a bit rough for RAF fans in DCS for a while.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Was a joke about the current status of the 109K-4 and how easily you can pop a wing off. http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=134839

Aha! Thanks for the link.

I haven't been following the 109K posts yet over at DCS, so this was the first I've heard about the breaking wing problem. Knowing DCS, they'll have this fixed quickly.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    345.02 MB

Quote Originally Posted by SorcererDave View Post
    It mostly depends on whether the 150 octane fuel will be modelled or not. If not, then I don't think it looks good for the Spit IX competitively speaking. It's a plane designed in 1942 to fight against early Bf109-Gs and Fw190As being pitted against planes from late 1944. If it does have the Merlin 66 engine with 150 octane fuel and 21lbs of boost then I'd say it's got at least a fighting chance in the hands of a comptetent pilot.
    If I had no trouble shooting down Bf.109F-4s over Stalingrad in a LaGG-3, I'm pretty sure I can handle Bf.109K-4s in a Spit IX.

It's all about wingmanship.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

We'll see how things develop re Spitfire IX. I'm delighted that one will be available, even if it isn't quite up to the performance levels of the late '44 fighters. Especially if down the road Gustavs and 190A's come into being. Unless I'm way off, I believe the Spit XIV would be a formidable opponent for the Kurfurst and the Dora.

Good times ahead, gentlemen!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck_Owl View Post
    If I had no trouble shooting down Bf.109F-4s over Stalingrad in a LaGG-3, I'm pretty sure I can handle Bf.109K-4s in a Spit IX.

It's all about wingmanship.
    Yes, but that is YOU, Chuck. What about us mere mortals?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.5 KB

Knowing how you fly in clod snap I'll see you at 9000m above the earth

motherboard ASUS Z77
    CPU Intel i73770 k Liquid cooled overclocked to 4.5 ghz
    Gpu NVidia Geforce gtx 970
    memory 8 GB
    Power supply 850 watts
    Monitor ASUS PB278q 2560 x 1440 Native Resolution
    Saiteck x52 joystick and pedals
    Trackir 4

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Here's the one they are using http://www.mh434.com/

So that is a 66, not sure if it's the 150 or not though. Either way, though I'm sure it won't be a dead duck out there. will keep digging to see if I can find if that one used 150

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    383.91 MB

I got the IX from the Kickstarter and will surely buy the XIV when it's out. The XIV will definitely be a better contender against the K-4 and Dora but a good pilot would probably be able to fight on even terms with one of the German planes. I know that I'm going to need the extra horsepower from the XIV for me to survive!

flare

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    376.42 MB

Personally I continue to hold the opinion that I'd rather see a Tempest V in the game than any of the later Spitfires simply because it's a more competitive machine, but I don't think one is even so much as on the drawing board at the moment. We're going to get a Typhoon from VEAO sooner or later but historically that was a plane that posed more danger to its own pilot than the enemy so I'm not exactly ecstatic with anticipation. It think things will be a bit rough for RAF fans in DCS for a while.
    Really? Everywhere i read it the tempest was used from intercept and ground attack, not as a fighter for a reason.
    Last edited by ATAG_((dB)); Dec-09-2014 at 03:43.
    It takes an airplane to bring out the worst in a pilot.
    ((dB)) youTube Channel

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

info on DCS Normandy map :

"What we are looking for are all German fighter bases in northern France (north of Paris) / west of Calais and all allied airbases in southern England south of London but east of Exeter"

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=135412
    12-08-2014

core I5 3570K - win 7 64 on SSD - COD & BOS & DCS P51-HUEY-HAWK on SSD - RAM 8,00 Go - GTX 670 - MSFF2 - opentrack -

sweetfx last for BOS :http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/index....attach_id=6340
    sweetfx last for CLOD : http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.co...3&d=1406627211

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I would recommend getting comfortable in the weaker aircraft in DCS. It's easy for a mission designer to limit the quantity of first tier fighter aircraft, and you can even take away MW-50 boost from the 109 with the ME. In another year, with the expanded planeset, it's not going to be like Cliffs where 90% of the pilots are in the best Spitfire or the best 109.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Decibel dB View Post
    Really? Everywhere i read it the tempest was used from intercept and ground attack, not as a fighter for a reason.
    Didn't matter, you either ran into the Luftwaffe or they found you.
    There's quite some cases of Tempests going for ground attack but running into a Axis fighter sweep.

Personally I don't mind the late-war Spits, Tempest is too scary looking hehe.

~

Tempest vs 190 D

Also, if I read Wags post correctly the Normandy map will be rougly the same size as CloD's?

Attached Images Attached Images
    Turncoat #1

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Decibel dB View Post
    The Tempest spent a lot of its early service shooting down V1s because it was the fastest piston-engined aircraft in the RAF, but after that was deployed to Europe following D-Day. Towards the end it was put on lots of ground attack missions because of its speed and because the Luftwaffe was so badly beaten anyway. It did, however, nevertheless achieve a 6:1 kill ratio against German single-seat fighters it encountered. There's a fantastic documentary on Youtube in which a Tempest veteran describes how Fw190s would try diving away from them as they were trained to, but would get blown to bits because the Tempest would easily catch up to them and out-turn them.

In fact according to Hubert Lange, an Me 262 pilot "the Messerschmitt Me 262's most dangerous opponent was the British Hawker Tempest — extremely fast at low altitudes, highly-manoeuvrable and heavily-armed." So yeah, not sure where you got the impression the Tempest was a bad fighter. You were probably thinking of the Typhoon.

I apologise for nerding out like that, but it's basically my favourite fighter from WW2, and yet sadly the only game in which you can fly it at the moment is IL2 1946 with the HSFX mod as far as I know.

edit: I think Black posted part of the documentary I was talking about. If you can find the full thing it's rather good. One of the pilots rather aptly compares the Spitfire and Tempest by saying the Spitfire was like a "finely-crafted swiss watch", whereas the Tempest was "a sports car."

Quote Originally Posted by Black034 View Post
    Tempest is too scary looking hehe.
    Bit of a monster isn't it?

Last edited by SorcererDave; Dec-09-2014 at 11:02.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    383.91 MB

I'm stoked that they're extending the Normandy map to England! And the Spits. By the way, Pman from VEAO said that a Tempest is not planned but perhaps we'll be getting a Typhoon in late 2015-2016

flare

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Yeah I know, but as I said, the Typhoon was quite literally more dangerous to its own pilots than the enemy. It got relegated to the ground attack role pretty fast. I'll undoubtedly be flying it a lot in DCS when it arrives, but when I do I'll be carrying bombs and rockets, and I won't be looking to pick fights with any of the Luftwaffe fighters.
    Last edited by SorcererDave; Dec-09-2014 at 11:49.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Here's the one they are using http://www.mh434.com/

So that is a 66, not sure if it's the 150 or not though. Either way, though I'm sure it won't be a dead duck out there. will keep digging to see if I can find if that one used 150
    I think it'll probably depend on ED deciding what timeframe they're actually covering. If it's mid-late '44 and over Europe then the Spit IX would more likely to have been a +18lbs version - the Air Defence Great Britain group had gone through conversions in mid-44 but if over Europe I guess we should be looking at the 2nd TAF. If we're talking early '45 over Europe the Spit IX would probably have been a 2nd TAF +25lbs. It looks like a lot of the 2nd TAF started to convert in very late '44 / early '45.

With the Mustang the 8th Air Force converted to 150 grade fuel from mid '44 onward and the 8th cleared the Mustang for 72". The 8th had about 22 fighter groups (think about 115 planes in a group?) and almost all of them had converted over to P-51s by the end of '44 so the 72" Mustang would probably have been pretty common given the relative size of the 8th compared to the smaller, theatre organised 9th, 12th & 15th air forces.

Anyway we'll see what we get next year! Going to be fun no matter what. Hopefully ED works out a way to give mission maker options over the fuel grade used for both sides. In terms of balance and to prevent team stacking I'd probably give the Allies the +25lbs / 72" version given that they would have been far more likely to encounter earlier variants of the 109 by late '44 / early '45. Don't want to end up like BOS where Axis gets stacked up a lot of the time given that the 109 is clearly the much better fighter than the Russian crates.

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Foul Ole Ron View Post
    Anyway we'll see what we get next year! Going to be fun no matter what. Hopefully ED works out a way to give mission maker options over the fuel grade used for both sides. In terms of balance and to prevent team stacking I'd probably give the Allies the +25lbs / 72" version given that they would have been far more likely to encounter earlier variants of the 109 by late '44 / early '45. Don't want to end up like BOS where Axis gets stacked up a lot of the time given that the 109 is clearly the much better fighter than the Russian crates.
    I already tried to point out in this thread that the DCS ME allows you to remove the 109's MW-50 boost. That is an easy way to convert the 109 into something more like a Gustav in DCS. So even if we don't have fuel grade options for the Allied aircraft mission makers have alternative methods for adjusting relative performance.

Supporting Member 9./JG52 Ziegler's Avatar
    Coast of Maine - Halfway between the equator and the North Pole
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

The map is the real key for me since the Kurfurst is still in beta and should get those tender wings fixed. Will it support larger server numbers will be importent. In DCS the aircraft and FM's are as good as any. It is only let down by the map.
    Corsair 600T-Gigabite Gigabyte Z77-UD5 mobo-I7 Ivy Bridge 3770k@3.5ghz-Scythe Ninja 3 -16g HyperX- EVGA GTX 670 FTW-HyperX SSD-Logitech G19-Cyborg Ratz 9-CH Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and throttle with MFG Crosswind pedals, BenQ 2420T monitor, Track IR-5, Obutto Rev3. http://9jg52.com/

Glückliche sieben

Hood

It did, however, nevertheless achieve a 6:1 kill ratio against German single-seat fighters it encountered. There's a fantastic documentary on Youtube in which a Tempest veteran describes how Fw190s would try diving away from them as they were trained to, but would get blown to bits because the Tempest would easily catch up to them and out-turn them.
    It was definitely used in a fighter role but not at high altitude. If it ends up in DCS it'll be awesome especially as most Normandy stuff was played out at a lower altitude than the USAAF bomber raids etc and this should drag the LW down - same for the XIV. MP tends to be at a lower level anyway. I'll be praying for the Tiffie as there is something about low level fighter-bomber operations that really works for me, dodgy/weak tail notwithstanding.

I have the IX waiting via Kickstarter then I'll get the XIV too. The IX will be competitive but unfortunately will never be able to force a fight as the LW stuff can run.

Hood

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

Tempest did escort the Moskitos in the Amiens raid against a prison to free resistant people in France. Tempest was frequently used in fightersweeps
    I would love to have a Tempest in this environment .
    But a combatsims need objects and a map to be complete, so I go for that first

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    It was definitely used in a fighter role but not at high altitude.
    That's true, but it'll still perform well up to 20,000 feet, and combat rarely seems to go any higher than that whenever I've played DCS online with WW2 planes. It's not like a Yak or something that practically stops working past 12,000ft.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    24.74 MB

S!

I think the Spitfire will be a handful, especially for a hamfisted pilot. Yo-Yo pointed out it will not be the "EZ Mode yank & bank" people have been getting used to in other sims, but requiring careful flying due the very sensitive pitch control. Gonna buy them both, IX and XIV, but waiting more for the P47D
    Rig for gaming...

Intel i5 10600K 4.1GHz CPU, MSI Z490-A Pro mobo, 32Gb DDR4 @ 3200MHz, AMD Radeon 6700XT 12Gb, Samsung/WD SSD for OS/Games, TMWH throttle, Virpil WarBRD base + MongoosT grip, MFG CrossWind, Windows 11 Pro 64-bit

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    383.91 MB

Now the real question which was a very heated topic over on the DCS forums, is whether there will be a gyro sight or not! I'd vote for yes to include it since the P-51 and Dora both have it and by 1944 most Spitfires were being equipped with the GGS Mk.II

flare

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast