Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A New Pilot's Guide to the Spitfire

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    212.17 MB

Re: A New Pilot's Guide to the Spitfire

Quote Originally Posted by III./ZG76_Ezzie View Post
    I think I can safely echo a lot of other people who fly this game by saying that overcoming the very steep learning curve is very satisfying and what keeps people coming back. Once u are ok with flying the aircraft the next steep learning curve is 'combat' but if you keep persevering , asking questions and thinking about what works and what doesn't you will find yourself making progress on this curve as well.

Beware that for most players - there are a gifted few for whom this might not apply as much- that the combat curve is never ending and always challenging. And again I think this is what keeps people interested.

Good luck and have fun!

Ezzie
    Thanks Ezzie. I am still struggling to take off in the spitfire. I can make it to the correct end of the runway but cannot keep the plane straight on the take off run and end up crashing. I am glad of the advice I am getting from vets on here, think I am opening the throttle too quickly, THEN, when I have mastered taking off, I have to learn to land, so I am a long way off getting into combat. I have also been advised to maybe try the Hurricane as it is more stable and more forgiving of a beginners mistakes, so that may be worth a try

Manual Creation Group ATAG_Ezzie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by laserlight View Post
    Thanks Ezzie. I am still struggling to take off in the spitfire. I can make it to the correct end of the runway but cannot keep the plane straight on the take off run and end up crashing. I am glad of the advice I am getting from vets on here, think I am opening the throttle too quickly, THEN, when I have mastered taking off, I have to learn to land, so I am a long way off getting into combat. I have also been advised to maybe try the Hurricane as it is more stable and more forgiving of a beginners mistakes, so that may be worth a try
    Keep at it laser and it will work out.

ive only ever flown the -110 in COD but the Hurricane was my one of my favourite fighters in the earlier versions of il-2 2 for the same reasons you listed. I wouldn't be put off by its lack of performance v the Spit and 109. Plenty of top notch hurricane pilots do very well on the server against the 109 - it's a matter of knowing the relative strengths and weaknesses of your machine and flying accordingly.

Ezzie

3. Likes ATAG_Laser liked this post
    5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Sea Hurricane.JPG

Hurri Night.JPG

And with the help of KEEFY, MAJOR SETBACK and Photoshop or GiMP there's a lot of fun to be had with the Hurricane skins (even if only you will see it in the ATAG server)
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

" Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"

5. Likes IIJG27Rich liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    212.17 MB

Quote Originally Posted by III./ZG76_Ezzie View Post
    Keep at it laser and it will work out.

ive only ever flown the -110 in COD but the Hurricane was my one of my favourite fighters in the earlier versions of il-2 2 for the same reasons you listed. I wouldn't be put off by its lack of performance v the Spit and 109. Plenty of top notch hurricane pilots do very well on the server against the 109 - it's a matter of knowing the relative strengths and weaknesses of your machine and flying accordingly.

Ezzie
    I used to play il-2 forgotten battles, albeit offline and using the easier options such as external views, no blackouts/ redouts or stall/spin and I too flew the Hurricane there, (the mk 11c had awesome firepower), so I will try the spit a few more times seeing as I have started with that aircraft, but if I do not make more progress soon, I will give the Hurri a try

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    80.50 MB

Quote Originally Posted by laserlight View Post
    I used to play il-2 forgotten battles, albeit offline and using the easier options such as external views, no blackouts/ redouts or stall/spin and I too flew the Hurricane there, (the mk 11c had awesome firepower), so I will try the spit a few more times seeing as I have started with that aircraft, but if I do not make more progress soon, I will give the Hurri a try
    Don't recall if you mentioned before...do you have rudder pedals? I found my ability to manuver and correct greatly increased when I went from a twist-stick to pedals.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core, 16-Thread
    32GB RAM
    NVidia GeForce GTX1080 (Asus Rog Strix GTX 1080)
    1 TB SSD
    LG 4K 55" TV
    Gear-Falcon General Purpose Joystick Controller, Gear-Falcon Quadrant and Trim, Gear-Falcon BF-109 Water Radiator Crank

"Find out what you don't do well, and then DON'T DO IT!" - Alf

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    212.17 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Kendy for the State View Post
    Don't recall if you mentioned before...do you have rudder pedals? I found my ability to manuver and correct greatly increased when I went from a twist-stick to pedals.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    No Kendy, I don't have rudder pedals, just a joystick with twist grip. I have now also tried the Hurricane a couple of times too, but I am still crashing. As I slowly increase power, I can keep the plane straight for a while, but lose control at close to full power. I have downloaded into my game some basic, already lined up on the runway offline missions which were provided by a guy on a CLoD social media group for most of the aircraft types from both sides to just practice the taking off and landing, without wasting time with taxiing, which I have mastered, and I am hoping this helps before I jump online again

Combat pilot No.119_Marshy (VK-M)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Ok, so I have mastered the take off and got a grip on navigation and setting the trims etc, so cruising around at 20,000 with 240mph is no issue. Where I am running into problems is in combat (quite a crucial thing). I am finding that my engine goes bang. I am avoiding any negative G forces, but think it may be something to do with the settings of the prop or engine? Obviously I am conscious whilst throwing the aircraft around that I need to keep my airspeed fairly healthy to avoid stalling in tight turns etc. Do I need to adjust the prop to avoid excessive loading on the engine? I find that I have to retire from dogfights, which leaves me a sitting duck or limping home.

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    355.85 MB

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem marshy View Post
    Ok, so I have mastered the take off and got a grip on navigation and setting the trims etc, so cruising around at 20,000 with 240mph is no issue. Where I am running into problems is in combat (quite a crucial thing). I am finding that my engine goes bang. I am avoiding any negative G forces, but think it may be something to do with the settings of the prop or engine? Obviously I am conscious whilst throwing the aircraft around that I need to keep my airspeed fairly healthy to avoid stalling in tight turns etc. Do I need to adjust the prop to avoid excessive loading on the engine? I find that I have to retire from dogfights, which leaves me a sitting duck or limping home.
    Try to keep your engine RPM below 3000 or it will pop after a few seconds. Other than that just monitor your temps and if they start going up too high, open the rad up or back the throttle off to drop the boost levels.

Combat pilot No.119_Marshy (VK-M)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Ok, I'll give it a try later this afternoon. My rpms are generally 26-27 and the water temperature doesn't appear overly hot? I'll try opening the radiator fully before engaging next time. Cheers for the advice...

Manual Creation Group ATAG_Vampire's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.88 MB

Hi mayhem!

You don't say what mark of 'Spitty' you are flying. The Mk1a (100 oct) and the Mklla are the most forgiving as far as engine management is concerned. If you are flying any the of the earlier types they need more input regarding CEM. The same goes for the Hurricane.

We all have problems and even now after flying the sim for nearly twelve months I still forget to open my rads for engines start/take off and end up blowing my rads. It is all about practice and then more practice. However, do not forget the most important thing........HAVE FUN! The rest will come.

See you up there.

~S~
    "A nation that forgets its past has no future." - Winston Churchill

My Rig: CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quard -Core Processor, Motherboard: Asus ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO ALPHA ATX LGA1151, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4x 8GB) DDR4- 3000
    Video Card:ASUS ROG STRIX RTX2080ti 11GB OS: Windows 10 Pro

Joystick: Virpil T50 Base with T50 Mongoose stick Throttle: Virpil T50 VPC HOTAS Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG348Q Ultawide Rudder Pedals: Slaw Device RF DORA

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    374.72 MB

In a 1a 100 Spit and 1 100 oct Hurri, if you have your prop and engine at 85 and 85 you can go all day on 100% throttle.

Make sure they are both 100 at take off. Soon as you are up, drop them to above.

Once you get the hang of things you can play around with those percentages.

The one thing that will damage your engine is boost aka 110 throttle. Be very judicious with its use. Put that sucker on , particularly during a dogfight, and forget you have it on, due to excitement, adrenalin, panic, elation, the kids needing attention, the dog wants a scratch, you need a scratch etc, shortly there after one cooked chook.

Water at 120 degree is a cooked chook. If your temp gets near that you probably forget your boost is on. Keep an eye on your water temp, and oil too.

Boost is an important facet to get a bit more when you need it. But you simply have to remember it's on.

I forget every now and then. It happens...

I don't fly any of the other variants, so the numbers above are the best set and forget for the time being.

Cheers,

Pattle

14. Likes ATAG_Laser liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

"The Boost Control Cut-Out enables higher boost pressures. The use, in an emergency, of this high boost pressure is a definite overload condition on the engine and therefore all occasions on which it is essential to make use of this +12lb./sq.in. must be reported by the pilot and recorded in the engine log book so that the engineer officer may be able to assess the reduction in life between overhauls and the need for special inspections." Pilot's Notes

Most pilots will go to any length to avoid paperwork! This feature only needs to be used in an emergency.
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    570.67 MB

Excellent starting point! Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    365.25 MB

2800 RPM for 100 Oct Spits and Hurri's for cruising all day long. Doesnt matter how you get here (throttle Prop ratios) so long as you dont exceed 2800 for longer than 5 minutes. (never drop your rads unless you know what your doing)

I use 110 Throttle (boost) 80 Prop and 100 Rad or 100 throttle, 85 Prop, 85 Rad for cruising. (Run until the tank is dry) (some use settings at 75. Doesnt matter, so long as your at 2800RPM)

I use 100, 100, 100, for combat. (only in combat, once out of it, back to cruise *2800 RPM*

For the chase, I use 100, 100, 50 (rad - never with the nose pitched up and never for longer than 3 minutes level or diving)

Once you find a Good Cruise and Combat ratio for you. Then you can learn the best climb rate ratios etc. *Small steps *
    https://imgur.com/VCUiXpY

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Quote Originally Posted by Baffin View Post
    "The Boost Control Cut-Out enables higher boost pressures. The use, in an emergency, of this high boost pressure is a definite overload condition on the engine and therefore all occasions on which it is essential to make use of this +12lb./sq.in. must be reported by the pilot and recorded in the engine log book so that the engineer officer may be able to assess the reduction in life between overhauls and the need for special inspections." Pilot's Notes

Most pilots will go to any length to avoid paperwork! This feature only needs to be used in an emergency.

I give all my second hand spitfires to Highseas.................."one careful owner, never raced....."
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

19. Likes 69th_Zeb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    45.68 MB

The Spitfire will always be able to outturn a 109, so turn with him all you want.

~

If a 109 gets on your tail, TURN TURN TURN.

On the condition the 109's speed is equal to (or perhaps lower than) my own, I found this advice to be of no use often enough

109 pilots worth 2 cents will simply keep turning with you, simply because once below a certain airspeed, they'll have the advantage, their slats will enable them to outturn you and their superior engine power will
    also allow them to regain energy loss sooner and more
    I can't let go of the turn since that makes me a sitting duck, neither can I outdive or outclimb them
    At best I can try to pull a stall drop, which will only set me up for a boom and zoom engagement (in which a 109 running out of ammo could be considered a "victory" for me), or spiral down until I'm out of altitude if he does decide to follow
    Je Maintiendrai

PC Specs: Intel I5 8600k @4.8 Ghz/ Aorus Z390 Pro / Gigabyte RTX3060ti OC 8Gb @ 1905Mhz/ Corsair BX 2x16Gb @3200Mhz
    XPG Spectrix S40G, 256GB NVMe / Kingston A2000 1TB NVMe / Startech PEXUSB3S44V 4port USB 3.1 PCIe
    Asus VG278HE / Oculus Rift / Virpil MT50 Mongoost T50cm Stick and T50 Throttle / Saitek Combat Rudders / 2x Thrustmaster MFD Cougar

"I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears, sweat and the occasional witty comment"

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by BOO View Post
    I give all my second hand spitfires to Highseas.................."one careful owner, never raced....."
    Exhaust header failure.
    Landing gear failure.
    General aeroplane things and stuff failure.
    cue:
    "Enemy fighters 180 2 miles."

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

22. Likes BOO liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    45.94 MB

This thread has been very helpful for getting started in the Spitfire.

Thanks!

24. Likes ATAG_Flare liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    235.23 MB

found this really helpful copied it to word and printed it so I can keep it at my side ha. am totally new and am awful at the min.

26. Likes ATAG_Flare liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    35.90 MB

Fantastic write up. Thanks very much.

28. Likes ATAG_Flare liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    97.73 MB

Very nice set of tips. One point I keep struggling with and not really mentioned here is trimming the plane. I use the two big knobs on my X-55 throttle to trim the rudder and elevator

I've given both knobs a s-like response curve with sufficient deadzone (the knobs have some play/hysteresis) as I've found the airplane really sensitive to trim levels. But still I have a lot of trouble getting the plane trimmed fully neutral with constant prop and pitch. Is it actually possible?

Any suggestions which curves/sensitivity could work? Or is it better to assign a hat switch thus using discrete trim levels instead of constant levels on a axis?
    Newbie CloD 4.53 pilot, all advice welcome!

Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, i5 7600k@4.2GHz, 16GB DDR4@2133, MSI GTX970 Gaming 4GB, Thrustmaster T.16000M, Saitek Pro Flight X-55 Throttle Rhino, Baur BRD-MS3 pedals, TrackIR5

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    177.83 MB

Quote Originally Posted by mca2 View Post
    Very nice set of tips. One point I keep struggling with and not really mentioned here is trimming the plane. I use the two big knobs on my X-55 throttle to trim the rudder and elevator

I've given both knobs a s-like response curve with sufficient deadzone (the knobs have some play/hysteresis) as I've found the airplane really sensitive to trim levels. But still I have a lot of trouble getting the plane trimmed fully neutral with constant prop and pitch. Is it actually possible?

Any suggestions which curves/sensitivity could work? Or is it better to assign a hat switch thus using discrete trim levels instead of constant levels on a axis?
    I'd suggest a HAT - thats what I use (TM Warthog - its even labelled for that!). Binding prop pitch to an axis is nice though so perhaps you could put that on your wheel? Each 'click' on trim on a HAT isn't too much so its easy to get the plane trimmed out so no hands level flight. If you plan on flying the Beaufighter then you might want to bind aileron trim as well - I've put it on the keyboard as only this plane uses it on the red team.
    34" ASUS ROG 1440p. i7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz. Thermaltake 360mm AIO. ASUS Maximus Hero VII, 16gb DDR3, ASUS Strix 980Ti. TM WH, WH Throttle, TM THRP Pedals. TrackIR 5 Pro. Oculus Rift.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Quote Originally Posted by mca2 View Post

By "knobs" do you mean the ones on the throttle or on the throttle base? Id venture the ones on the throttle would be more instinctive to use especially if they have a ratchet. If they are dodgy, consider the hat as Bouff says.

Trim is variable - the only constant is the constant need to adjust it!!

Speed, torque and pitch all have an effect (probably alt to given air density changes). Its best therefore not to set any curves but just have it 1:1.

The aircraft are set to be trim natural at a certain cruising speed - this was done on the ground in RL so everything other than a certain speed and certain settings will require trim alteration away from the neutral.

You can theoretically trim your aircraft to neutral and many do but you'll need a deft touch with the throttle, pitch and trim wheels to get it autopilot level for more than a minute or so. I'm happy if all the needles are pointing in the right direction and I'm not having to apply any pressure to the stick - reading the beano with both hands on the pages or wandering off for a wee -wee whilst flying a hurricane has never been something I could achieve.

One other thing about trim is that its not just to level flight - Elevator trim can get you out of a death drive (where the game negates you pulling on the stick as it replicates the forces over the control surfaces) and can help you maintain a little more speed and avoid a stall or snap roll in a turn fight.

Cheers

BOO

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    97.73 MB

I had the trim mapped to the pots on the throttle itself. But these are quite wobbly. So I changed trim to the 2 pots on the base of the throttle and these are much more precise although I miss the center detent. But trimming is much easier now, and yes I have to change it whenever I change throttle or pitch. The top pot on the throttle is now mapped to the radiator.

Furthermore I use the right throttle as throttle. and the left one for the prop pitch. Very easy combination. Only a set of rudders with toe brakes and i'm all set
    Newbie CloD 4.53 pilot, all advice welcome!

Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, i5 7600k@4.2GHz, 16GB DDR4@2133, MSI GTX970 Gaming 4GB, Thrustmaster T.16000M, Saitek Pro Flight X-55 Throttle Rhino, Baur BRD-MS3 pedals, TrackIR5

33. Likes BOO liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    460.82 MB

Nice info, thanks!

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    7.41 MB

i will check it

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    734.54 MB

This is a massive help! thank you! Now if I could just keep an eye on my 6, while managing pressure, temperature, speed, rpm, altitude, heading and everything else...

37. Likes ATAG_kiwiflieger, No.119_Bruv liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

don't sweat it, it comes with time, patience and practice.

Soon you'll be killing everything.

39. Likes Pans liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    78.06 MB

Quote Originally Posted by bowmana View Post
    This is a massive help! thank you! Now if I could just keep an eye on my 6, while managing pressure, temperature, speed, rpm, altitude, heading and everything else...
    It's like learning to drive. What seems overwhelming at first you'll soon be doing unthinkingly.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.24 GB

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast