Huge B-17 RC with engine failure

The same plane with upgraded engines with 3 bladed props

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

Re: Look at this...

no link
    Last edited by LuseKofte; Sep-28-2015 at 05:47.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

WONDERFUL COLORPICTURES FROM WW2 AERA
    http://www.warhistoryonline.com/war-...-warbirds.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

I had no idea, that my country had a IL2 stored away in a museum in the north. My favorite plane of all times just 800 km away from me :-[

Pictures taken in 1993

5. Likes major_setback liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    141.17 MB

On this IL2's nose there appears to be some sort of Cranking coupling to start it ? Is this the case ! Can it be started like that or is it just an illusion ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

I do not know, I have seen similar on the PE-2

Handley Page Halifax B Mark II Series I (Special), DK148 'MP-G' "Johnnie the Wolf", of No. 76 Squadron RAF rests at Holme-on-Spalding Moor, Yorkshire, after crash-landing on return from an operation to Essen on the night of 25/26 July 1943. The propeller from the damaged port-inner engine flew off shortly after the bombing run, tearing a large hole in the fuselage. The mid-upper gunner immediately baled out, but the pilot, Flight Lieutenant C M Shannon, regained control of the aircraft and managed to bring the rest of the crew back to Holme, although DK148 was subsequently written off. Two weeks later, Shannon and his crew failed to return from a night operation over Mannheim. RIP

8. Likes ATAG_Freya liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Mmm, the "show car" varnish in the right vehicle.

Aircraft-of-the-R.A.F.-and-S.A.A.F.-during-World-War-II-26.jpg

10. Likes LuseKofte liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

Here is the best clip of Dornier 17 I have seen, no sound but it films a lot from inside the cockpit and the routines in there.

12. Likes farley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

Karl Heinz Becker, Oberleutnant Chef 11./Fsch.Jäg.Rgt 1 - Heraklion, Kreta (Crete) - May '41

Interesting short film in color

http://ww2live.com/en/content/world-...tle-crete-1941

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

The Dixie Wing's P-63 Kingcobra is almost ready for its first flight in 16 years. Today the the fuel gauges were calibrated.

I wish I just could sitting that pit

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

TBM Avenger in a emergency landing cockpitview.

17. Likes major_setback liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

Hurrycane recovery outside Murmansk close to Norwegian border

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/mil...t/hurricane_08

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

A grim reminder

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

Gas up under the wings of Victory! Bomber Gas has been a landmark in the Portland area since 1947, when it arrived and became the region's most unusual filling station. It stopped operating as a gas station in 1991, and has since been associated with the adjacent restaurant, where visitors could grab a bite and a souvenir Bomber place mat.

Tipster Blair Shorney sent us this account of how the plane ended up in Milwaukie:

"Shortly after WWII a guy named Art Lacey went to Kansas to buy a surplus B-17. His idea was to fly it back to Oregon, jack it up in the air and make a gas station out of it. He paid $15,000 for it. He asked which one was his and they said take whichever you want because there were miles of them. He didn't know how to fly a four-engine airplane, so he read the manual while he taxied around by himself. They said he couldn't take off alone so he put a mannequin in the co-pilot's seat and off he went.

"He flew around a bit to get the feel of it and when he went to land he realized he needed a co-pilot to lower the landing gear. He crashed and totaled his plane and another on the ground. They wrote them both off as "wind damaged" and told him to pick out another. He talked a friend into being his co-pilot and off they went.

"They flew to Palm Springs where Lacey wrote a hot check for gas, then they headed for Oregon. They hit a snow storm and couldn't find their way, so they went down below 1,000 feet and followed the railroad tracks. His partner sat in the nose section and would yell, 'TUNNEL!' when he saw one and Lacey would climb over the mountain.

"They landed safely, he made good the hot check he wrote, and they started getting permits to move a B-17 on the state highway. The highway department repeatedly denied his permit and fought him tooth and nail fora long time, so late one Saturday night he just moved it himself. He got a $10 ticket from the police for having too wide a load."

Update: The B-17G, named "Lady Lacey" (after Art Lacey's British wife), began undergoing a serious restoration effort in 2012, when the nose and cockpit were removed. On August 13, 2014, the rest of the bomber was removed as well. The Lacey family estimated that the plane could be worth millions if restored to flying condition, which meant bye-bye bomber forever as a gas station awning.
    - See more at: http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story....Ocgl0WqF.dpuf

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

no link
    Last edited by LuseKofte; Sep-28-2015 at 05:49.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

The Fallschirmjager were definitely elite troops, but they had their flaws.

For example, they landed without their main weapons, they only carried pistols initially, the shoulder fired weapons had to be retrieved from dropped canisters.

This proved to be costly at Crete, where many paratroopers were killed before they could arm themselves. Crete was essentially the death of the Fallschirmjagers as airdroppable troops, the huge losses suffered during this operation convinced Hitler mass airdrops were no longer practicable.

The quality of the Divisions also declined as the war went on, many of the replacements brought into the divisions were not jump trained and had limited experience. Still these divisions were undoubtably better than the run of the mill Wehrmacht as they had the pick of weapons and their replacements were often straight from the Hitler Jugend, and were very ideologically committed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

Thanks Buzz, pretty much my impression too.

Here is a pic I never seen before

A 109 E in japanese service, probably a test plane for purchase or something

A-20 low level, this is the plane I really would choose to serve in if choice was given. I really like this plane in IL2 Sturmovik, my absolute favorite

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

Swiss F5 formation with 360 view over the alps

26. Likes gottie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

1*z2OWFKQcqHQvkTVXsFYhpQ.jpeg
    Norway is one of the customers of F-35 , I really hopes this is getting better
    https://medium.com/war-is-boring/tes...ht-cdb9d11a875

It cannot dogfight the testpilot says

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Quote Originally Posted by LuseKofte View Post
    It cannot dogfight the testpilot says
    This is the BIG proglem with this aircraft.

The manufacturers have put all their marbles on its ability to be stealthy... but if that fails, the F-35 is an easy kill for aircraft as old as a MiG-21.

And the problem is, it has been discovered, stealthy profiles work not nearly as well against low frequency radar... and while low/freq types are not very good right now, there is a LOT of research going into developing low frequency sets which can improve their registration.

The F-22 is a different case, since it can maneuver and has speed to burn... even if it is detected, it is still a tremendous combat aircraft. But the Lightning II is just a slug in the air to air role.

I think it is a huge gamble for the manufacturers to create this enormously expensive one dimensional aircraft, if technology catches up, the F-35's will be the most expensive hanger queens in history.

Personally if I were a government, I would not put my money into this plane.

Prior to the Vietnam war, all the Fighter design experts told the pilots dogfighting was a thing of the past... aircraft were too fast, missiles were too effective. No need to have aircraft which could maneuver, no need to have guns. Well things turned out very differently than what the experts said... the supposedly obsolete Vietnamese MiG-17's racked up a positive kill/loss ratio in air to air combat versus the unmaneuverable F-105's and the F-4's which had no guns. After the events of the '60's and early '70's, the experts threw out their pre-conceptions and the next set of fighter designs emphasized maneuverability and all had guns.

Now we have the experts telling us once again how stealth means dogfighting is no longer important... sounds like a echo of an old fallacy.
    Last edited by RAF74_Buzzsaw; Jun-29-2015 at 21:09.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

Norwegian government wanted a multirole aircraft, so the F-22 was out of the question. I think renewal of F-16 is the way to go for us. But politicians are not known for admitting mistakes

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

In my opinion, the best multi-role option right now is the F/A-18E/F Super Hornet.

It has a quite good stealth radar profile, (much better than any other type except the F-25 and F-22) it maneuvers and dogfights extremely well, it can deliver a lot of ordnance.

And it is CHEAP. Cost of 60$ million compared to current estimate, (and likely not final cost) of $98 million for the F-35. (and the F-35 cost doesn't include the engine) And the Super Hornet is proven technology.

Better to go with an aircraft which can defend itself if discovered, instead of one which depends entirely on stealth.

The next gen aircraft are going to be pilotless anyway, better to wait for cheap drone designs to come out which can deliver ordnance stealthily without having to incorporate a pilot.

Canadian news story with a comparison of F-35 and Super Hornet:

Last edited by RAF74_Buzzsaw; Jun-30-2015 at 16:07.

Veteran Combat pilot No.54 Ghost (KL-G)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by LuseKofte View Post
    Norwegian government wanted a multirole aircraft, so the F-22 was out of the question. I think renewal of F-16 is the way to go for us. But politicians are not known for admitting mistakes
    You could have went for the updated JAS 39 Gripen, but i guess being a member of Nato comes with obligations

1155899390_1024x768_jas-39-gripen-wallpaper[1].jpg
    Last edited by No.54 Ghost (KL-G); Jun-30-2015 at 17:03.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

I suspect the choice of F-35 was taken before the contest even started. Norway got a helluva trade back contracts. The Finns use Hornets.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    383.91 MB

Personally I think the SAAB is the way to go. It's fast, CHEAP, (under $70 million), and I've heard it's beaten Eurofighters in dogfights. Only thing is it has only one engine. There the F18-E/F is better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

No, the F-35 was not beaten by an F-16
    BY GEORGE ALLISON · JULY 1, 2015

It has been widely reported in the media over the last week that an F-35 was outperformed by an F-16, the truth is seemingly a little different.

An F-16 flies with a F-35 'AF-2' during recent tests.
    An F-16 flies with F-35 ‘AF-2′ during recent tests.
    It should be noted that the specific F-35 involved was ‘AF-2′, this airframe is designed for flight testing, it’s designed to fly in certain restricted flight envelopes. It does not feature the majority of systems present in frontline aircraft. The aircraft, due to it being a test aircraft, had also not had the software installed that is required to use the sensors and mission systems that would be used in combat. Additionally, ‘AF-2′ does not feature the radar-absorbent material coating that operational aircraft have.

According to a recent press release from Lockheed Martin

“It [the F-35 in question] is not equipped with the weapons or software that allow the F-35 pilot to turn, aim a weapon with the helmet, and fire at an enemy without having to point the airplane at its target.”

Articles making the claim that the F-16 is superior cite tests performed earlier in the year to assess the flying qualities of the F-35 during within visual range combat and the F-16 involved was used as a visual reference to maneuver against. The aim of the test was to demonstrate the ability of the F-35 to fly to the edge of its restricted test limits without exceeding them. The test scenario was apparently successful as it allowed the aircraft be cleared for greater agility in future tests.

Test pilots say the additional maneuverability available as the aircraft expands its flight envelope after every test is a testament to the performance. According to test pilot David “Doc” Nelson.

“Pilots really like maneuverability, and the fact that the aircraft recovers so well from a departure allows us to say [to the designers of the flight control system laws], ‘you don’t have to clamp down so tight’.”

Despite the claims that the F-35 is inferior to a decades old aircraft, previous exercises tell a different story. Over the last few years there have been occasions where a flight of F-35s have engaged a flight of F-16s in simulated combat scenarios, the F-35s reportedly won each of those encounters because of its sensors and low visibility. This seems to be a case of comparing a test aircraft still in trials, that has a restricted flight envelope, against a mature dogfighter with no such restrictions.

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/no-t...en-by-an-f-16/

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

If it was only a game, I probably would not stick to flight sims in a period of 13 + year
    To me it is more a kind of re enacting, a weak re living of the life of ww2 pilots

On Kiska Island, after Allied troops had landed, this grave marker was discovered in a small graveyard amid the bombed-out ruins in August of 1943. The marker was made and placed by members of the occupying Japanese Army, after they had buried an American pilot who had crashed on the island.
    The marker reads: "Sleeping here, a brave air-hero who lost youth and happiness for his Mother land. July 25 - Nippon Army"

Mitsubishi G4M(Betty) Navy Type 1 attack bomber:
    IJN aviators pressed home a torpedo attack against American ships off Guadalcanal on 8 August 1942, suffering heavy losses. The plane on the left and at extreme low-level (approximately five meters) was flown by Jun Takahashi, who was still alive in 2013.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

Reichmarchal Luftwaffe Goering had a brother helping jewes , I never knew this was the case with Reinhard Heydrich younger brother

Heinz Heydrich - younger brother to Reinhard Heydrich

Heinz Heydrich was an Obersturmführer (lieutenant), journalist and publisher of the soldiers' newspaper, Die Panzerfaust.

But before Reinhard Heydrich’s State funeral in Berlin in June 1942, Heinz Heydrich had been given a large packet containing his brother’s files, released from his strongbox at Gestapo Headquarters, Berlin.
    Heinz had shut himself away in his room with the papers. Next morning his wife noticed that her husband had sat up all night burning the documents from the package. Heinz, on leave from the front, could not be engaged in conversation, his wife remembered; he seemed to be elsewhere mentally, and like stone. The files in the package were probably Reinhard Heydrich’s personal files, from which Heinz Heydrich understood for the first time in all its enormity the systematic extermination of the Jews, the so-called Final Solution. Thereafter, Heinz Heydrich helped many Jews escape by forging identity documents and printing them on Die Panzerfaust presses.

Suicide.

When in November 1944 an economic commission headed by a State Attorney investigated the editorial staff of Panzerfaust, Heinz Heydrich thought he had been discovered and shot himself in order to protect his family from the Gestapo. Ironically, the attorney knew nothing about the forgeries, and was only trying to find out the reason for shortages in paper supplies.

Heinz Heydrich is buried in the Soldatenfriedhof (soldiers cemetery) Riesenburg, according to the Deutsche Dienststelle (WASt).

Picture: Reinhard Heydrich (left) and Heinz Heydrich(right)

Heydrich joined the SS in 1932 after leaving the navy where he had been an officer. He had left the navy in disgrace after an affair with a young girl. He joined the SS as an unemployed man. His efficiency was soon noticed and he was appointed head of the SS Srcurity Service (the SD) which acted as an intelligence agency.
    He was also a major in the Luftwaffe, flying nearly 100 combat missions until 22 July 1941, when his plane was hit by Soviet anti-aircraft fire. Heydrich made an emergency landing behind enemy lines. He evaded a Soviet patrol and contacted a forward German patrol.[86] After this Hitler personally ordered Heydrich to return to Berlin to resume his SS duties.
    Healso did take part in the invasion of Norway as a pilot, and was for a little time stationed in Kristiansand

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast