Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Look at this...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

Re: Look at this...

no link
    Last edited by LuseKofte; Sep-28-2015 at 05:41.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

A US Air Force C-141 was scheduled to leave Thule Air Base, Greenland at midnight. During the pilot’s preflight check, he discovers that the latrine holding tank is still full from the last flight. So a message is sent to the base, and an airman who was off duty is called out to take care of it. The young man finally gets to the air base and makes his way to the aircraft, only to find that the latrine pump truck has been left outdoors and is frozen solid, so he must find another one in the hangar, which takes even more time. He returns to the aircraft and is less than enthusiastic about what he has to do.
    Nevertheless, he goes about the pumping job deliberately and carefully (and slowly) so as to not risk criticism later. As he’s leaving the plane, the pilot stops him and says, “Son, your attitude and performance has caused this flight to be late, and I’m going to personally see to it that you are not only reprimanded, but also punished.”
    Shivering in the cold, his task finished, he takes a deep breath, stands up tall and says, “Sir, with all due respect, I’m not your son; I’m an Airman in the United States Air Force. I’ve been in Thule, Greenland for 11 months without any leave, and reindeer are beginning to look pretty good to me. I have one stripe; it’s two-thirty in the morning, the temperature is 40 degrees below zero and my job here is to pump shit from your aircraft.
    Now just exactly what form of punishment did you have in mind?”

Last edited by LuseKofte; Jan-22-2015 at 11:40.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Quote Originally Posted by LuseKofte View Post

I'd love to model this aircraft for TF, very complex for a fighter, with its two engines, turbo charging etc.

Unlike the Bf110, the P-38 was a twin engined aircraft which could compete with the single engined types if flown correctly to its strengths.

It definitely had its flaws, the early versions with the non-power boosted ailerons were very slow to roll at low and high speeds, and unlike the P-47, where the turbocharger was heated properly, the turbo chargers had problems at high altitude with the system freezing up, plus its tendency to have the controls go into compressibility at dive speeds at high altitudes was a problem which had to be corrected in late models with the dive recovery flaps.

This pilot obviously loves the aircraft, and certainly it had its successes in Theaters like the Pacific where it could use its long range, good speed and climb against slower, but more maneuverable Japanese types.

But if we are able to model it for TF, pilots could enjoy the unique challenge the type provides.

4. Likes LuseKofte, farley, Gizz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

Thanks Buzz, I really would like to have it in cod or DCS. It deserve a place in the sun. Pilots loved that plane and I saw a interview that it could outturn a late 109 in some speeds and altitudes. If it could scientific or in just those few occasion´s I do not know.
    I have done the mistake of deeming a planes capabilities by incidents, and not by what circumstances those incidents occurred , like pilots experience, shape and fitness of that time.

I wonder how I would feel if I found this in a barn

http://www.flyingheritage.com/default.aspx

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

The sad thing about the Jeff Ethel video you showed, is that shortly after Jeff finished this video series filmed in an olive green P-38, he was killed in a crash of a second all metal finish P-38.

If you can remember in the video in the pre-flight, when he discusses where the fuel selector should be, he mentions Reserve tank position which is correct. However in the flight in the second P-38, he made the mistake of continuing to use that aircraft's reserve tanks throughout the flight, instead of switching to to the outer wing tanks after takeoff, and the aircraft ran out of fuel for one engine, it went into a flat spin and crashed. Pilots were supposed to use the reserve tank for 15 minutes after takeoff to allow room for vapor discharge in them from the carburetors. But they are only good for 44 minutes of flight in total which he exceeded.

Just goes to show how detailed and complex these aircraft were and how careful and precise the pilots needed to be.

Jeff only had approx. 6-7 hours in P-38's before the accident.

The sad story is Jeff's father Ervin Ethel, the WWII P-38 pilot, with 3000 hours in these types, who he obviously worshipped, was watching as the crash took place.

Accident report is here:

http://www.avweb.com/news/safety/183...l?redirected=1
    Last edited by RAF74_Buzzsaw; Jan-23-2015 at 15:49.

7. Likes Otyg liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

I read about the crash in Flypast, but I did not know the reason, you are a walking wikipedia, many thanks for the information, I find it very interesting.

Flight Lieutenant Fane took off from Wick the morning January 23. 1942 i Spitfire PR Mk. IV R7035 and went for Trondheim and took this picture of Tirpitz .

I did not know the spit was able to fly to Trondheim and back.

Anyway these pictures paved the way for numerous attacks from Bomber commands and Fleet Air Arm. I try to inform people here in Norway how many Allied pilots that lost their lives in Norway.
    Last edited by LuseKofte; Jan-24-2015 at 17:07.

9. Likes ATAG_Flare liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

British custom built several models of Photo Recon Spitfires... no guns, no armour, special engines, extra fuel tanks where the guns and ammo was.

They could fly further than Berlin and return.

Some raw footage of a USAAF Photo Recon Squadron:

Documentary, (which has been posted here many times but is worth posting again) about USAAF Photo Recon pilot and film taken of him:

Last edited by RAF74_Buzzsaw; Jan-24-2015 at 20:04.

11. Likes LuseKofte, Combat Wombat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

By the way LuseKofte, did you know Norway had two Spitfire Squadrons with the RAF in WWII?

No. 331 and No. 332 Squadrons RAF were Norwegian personnel. They were formed starting July 1941, and flew till the end of the war.

Photo from when No. 331 was based in Scotland:

They fought during D-Day, and the liberation of France, Belgium and Holland.

13. Likes LuseKofte liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

Yes I did know that, they flew home with their spitfires after the war. Had heavy casualty during the invasion and such. But I haven't seen that video, witch is odd, I have spent some amount of time on youtube

Here is another not too known Spit

I think this is MJ892 a mk IX. But there where a couple of Vb´s #EP 751 and N3760
    Despite the low priority for Spits on floats after the Norwegian campaign, Folland continued to play with the concept and in 1942 began testing a series of Spitfires modified with custom designed, high speed floats. In addition to the floats, the Spit sported a four bladed propeller and a highly modified tail, bearing little visual connection to the tail we have all come to know.
    Last edited by LuseKofte; Jan-24-2015 at 20:19.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

And somewhat related... No. 331 RNoAF F-16 flying through the Fjords:

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

Lofoten North Norway, my family owns a piece of that

A lot of allied pilots have been here flying, Norway is mountains and fjords. It is popular among the Nato pilots flying here. Long country , a lot of lowflying

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

no link anymore
    Last edited by LuseKofte; Sep-28-2015 at 05:44.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

Almost a successful landing by a storch somewhere in Germany
    11041784_915460051817952_5084848649292293421_n.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

Airshow 1945, what a collections of planes

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=c60_1425192966

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    141.17 MB

Not the weather for wombats We start complaining if it gets below 20c

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

IMG0013A.jpg
    me and a friend was up fishing in a mountain south of where I live this weekend. We took a snowmobile and was ready for camping late night friday , and chose to take the wrong type of tent with us. We got several to choose from. We chose a tentepee lavvo and it is not the best if a storm comes. Witch it did. He had a little fever and heavy coughing so He went inside making dinner and I had to dig a huge wind wall before the storm came.

Anyone up for a T-shirt? might be advertising, but it is right in our alley. I think I am going to order a few of these

http://www.warhistorystore.com/collections/t-shirts-1
    Last edited by LuseKofte; Mar-09-2015 at 18:24.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

no links anymore
    Last edited by LuseKofte; Sep-28-2015 at 05:45.

23. Likes Ohms, LARRY69 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

German postcard from Norway

25. Likes ATAG_Flare liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

no links

27. Likes ATAG_Flare, Otyg liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

Well timed photos from all US military branches

http://www.rsvlts.com/2015/03/31/per...litary-photos/

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

RESPECT!

This famous photograph by war correspondent Gordon Short captures Leslie ‘Bull’ Allen rescuing a wounded American soldier on Mount Tambu, New Guinea, 30th of July 1943.
    (Source: Australian War Memorial, image number 015515)

During an American assault against the Japanese on Mount Tambu, more than 50 US soldiers were injured. Two medics were killed trying to retrieve them.
    The Australians were not supposed to be involved in the fighting, but having witnessed so many casualties, Allen, a stretcher-bearer, was determined to do what he could.

The Australian War Memorial record for the photograph states:
    “1943-07-30. Mount Tambu, New Guinea. 2/5th Battalion stretcher bearer Corporal Leslie ‘Bull’ Allen MM, age 26, of Ballarat, Victoria, carrying to safety an American soldier who had been knocked unconscious by a mortar bomb. Allen carried out twelve American casualties while under fire on Mount Tambu. For this gallantry he received the United States Silver Star. He had won his Military Medal as a Private on 7 February 1943 at Crystal Creek, Wau.”

A Ballarat filmmaker who researched Allen’s story, Lucinda Horrocks, says what the soldier did next was extraordinary.
    “So this is the point at which Bull decides to go up and start carrying men out one at a time over his shoulder, through this terrain, facing the snipers and the machine gun fire and the mortar fire,” she said.

Amateur historian David Cranage says each time he went back for another rescue attempt, soldiers would make bets on whether he would return.
    “Backwards and forwards, backwards and forwards. Magnificent courage, unbelievable,” he said.
    “I’ve never heard anything like it before in my life and I’ve spent many years studying military history.
    “Remember, he was carrying men from another country.
    “His heart was so big. He just hopped in. It wouldn’t matter where you came from. That’s the mark of the man.”

It was an act of bravery worthy of place in Australian folklore.
    Now, 70 years after the bloody Wau-Salamaua campaign fought in Papua New Guinea, historians are calling for the military’s highest honour, the Victoria Cross, to be posthumously bestowed on Australian war hero Leslie ‘Bull’ Allen.

Link to the full story here: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-07-3...-allen/4853496

http://www.warhistoryonline.com/war-...of-wwii.html/3

30. Likes Otyg liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

A little out in the film you will see insane attacks , good footage but Norwegian speaking. About Norwegian, Australian New Zeeland and RAF attacks

32. Likes Marco liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

no links

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

no links
    Last edited by LuseKofte; Sep-28-2015 at 05:46.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

useless edited away

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.58 GB

Quote Originally Posted by RAF74_Buzzsaw View Post
    I'd love to model this aircraft for TF, very complex for a fighter, with its two engines, turbo charging etc.

Unlike the Bf110, the P-38 was a twin engined aircraft which could compete with the single engined types if flown correctly to its strengths.

But if we are able to model it for TF, pilots could enjoy the unique challenge the type provides.
    Hard to describe how much i like this plane. I have a small wooden model of a P 38 my late father made when he was young.

I flew the P38 all the time in IL2 1946, and loved it. I flew the L model, as it allowed me to use the dive flaps for improved maneuverability.

It is a boom and zoomer, but i enjoyed trying to turn in it as well. I liked the fact that you could get home on one engine, which likely saved more than one life in the pacific.

I have to admit to getting knocked out of the sky regularly while flying it, but i choose to blame me, and not the beautiful Lightning.

I was hoping A2A might build one, so at least i could fly a quality model, but alas, they say they have no plans to do so. Sigh.

If i could fly a P38 in a quality sim like we fly here, modelled as well as the aircraft here, well I'd be over the moon!

I can always dream...... and i do get to fly the first love of my life, the Spitfire.

images (3).jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "If you want to fly, give up everything that weighs you down"......

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    167.36 MB

Quote Originally Posted by LuseKofte View Post
    Diorama over all diorama´s
    I would say he created a new class of diorama - the "diodrama"

thx for sharing!
    System: i7-6700K, MSI Nvidia 1070GTX, 16GB RAM, Gigabyte GA-Z170 K3, Win10 64Bit, TrackIR5, HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Sennheiser 350 Headset, LG 34' 21:9

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

no link
    Last edited by LuseKofte; Sep-28-2015 at 05:46.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    141.17 MB

Got me thinking Did these guys survive and once again that might book (google ) in the sky came to the rescue

http://www.ejection-history.org.uk/P...year_table.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

no link
    Last edited by LuseKofte; Sep-28-2015 at 05:47.

41. Likes Combat Wombat liked this post
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast