Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3D modeling

The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

3D modeling

Lol... don't laugh too hard, but hey, for two hours worth of watching tutorials and going for it with zero 3D experience it isn't half bad.

My house is alright (good enough for Bob the builder to live in) but I don't care what anyone says, my piece of wood is fraking sweet.

House.jpg

Wood.jpg

I'd appreciate any pointers and tips. I have a good grasp at making the building itself and will start a control tower just to see how far I can go with basically no experience but anything will be great!

Youtube tutorials can be amazing.

Last edited by ♣_Spiritus_♣; Sep-27-2014 at 01:00.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

Re: 3D modeling

Here is what I have started as a serious attempt. One question, how can I select part of the balcony so I can delete it for where the stairs go up(See pic 1 and 5)? I know there is a way but am stuck. Any ideas? I'm using Blender.

Excuse my lighting, my brain is still fighting working on a 3D object on a 2D screen. This is actually quite fun!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ♣_Spiritus_♣; Sep-27-2014 at 03:13.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Brilliant work....How long did it take to learn this far?

Looks pretty good to me...~S~
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    1.618 - You know this number?
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle
    ATAG_Lewis Youtube Channel

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Lewis View Post
    Brilliant work....How long did it take to learn this far?

Looks pretty good to me...~S~

Thanks Lewis. Well I watched about 5 20-30 minute tutorials last night after I DL Blender, they were very excellent. Then I played around building all those for about 2 hours.

So I have about 5 hours or so logged in both learning and doing.

I'm starting over on the tower, approaching things differently. I need some advice on which way is more efficient. This approach I will build the stairs and decks first, able to create the shape and spilt the walkway into decking. Is this the quicker way or was my first way better? I built all of that from the same cube, just extruding and manipulating. Tips?

Screen shot 2014-09-27 at 9.42.52 AM.png
    Last edited by ♣_Spiritus_♣; Sep-27-2014 at 10:55.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Spiritus, could you give me the link to those tutorials? I watched some, but never came that far in such a short time...
    MSI GAMING G65 // i7 4770k @ 4.2GHZ // ASUS GTX 780 CUll // 8GB RAM (@1600mhz) // Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit Version
    Thrustmaster T16000 + Saitek x52 Throttle // Saitek Throttle Quadrant // MFG Crosswind Pedals // Track IR 5

www.jagdgeschwader4.de

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

It seems there are a few newby 3D modellers out there.....

I wondered.....

Seeing how far SM has come in such a short time I wonder how far one would have to go with a 3D modelling program to be of some use to the TF team?...I mean if there are small groups of beginner modellers that can make small things each or a certain part of an aircraft, ship or building?....Can it be done in this manner or does it demand that one experienced modeller makes a whole aircraft on one PC?

Can beginner modellers take on small simple tasks that maybe time consuming in order to alleviate the bulky workload helping the experienced modellers to concentrate on the complex stuff?......Similar to a subcontractor is what I'm thinking

I'm just bouncing ideas....
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    1.618 - You know this number?
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle
    ATAG_Lewis Youtube Channel

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Continu0 View Post
    Spiritus, could you give me the link to those tutorials? I watched some, but never came that far in such a short time...
    For sure, I took the time and watched these four in order and the entire thing regardless of if I wanted to skip around. After these four I kind of skipped around the rest he has because they didn't seem relevant to this but maybe I am wrong. Here are the four then you can find the rest. He is very good at explaining things and the reason behind them, it really is like a classroom environment.

Number 4 is really helpful in what I've done but I wouldn't skip the first three. Take notes of the keys shortcuts or you'll end up having to watch the videos again. haha.

1) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLV7h-WLIx0

2) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zxMd6HbG4k

3) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-grDsMg6_k

4) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tG2wSNCBmE

The stairs were a different matter. No good tutorials, more just showing you without telling you how to get there. I ended up just making a plane, then duplicate, change the axis, then repeat, then duplicate the entire thing, etc. I'm sure theres a better way but it worked for me.

@Lewis. I agree as long as it is helpful, like you said I don't understand the workflow but I think a lot of us out here can do this, at least the simpler shapes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

Getting there. I feel like texturing will be a whole different animal. Does anyone know if TF makes their own textures or are they taking them from in game?

Control1a.jpg

Control1b.jpg

Control1c.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Newer 3D modelers can work with buildings, and simple objects.

The difficulty is doing the more complex objects, especially the aircraft.

The key is being able to model an object within the limits of the game's allowance... having an elaborately modeled buildings puts demands on the game engine and the player's computer which are not sustainable.

VO101_Tom, the head of the 3D department, can explain in detail if he wants.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

Thanks for the info Buzz.

Fun stuff. Turned out pretty cool I think:

Martlesham_Heath_airfield_control_tower.jpg

Control1H.jpg

Control1e.jpg

Control1f.jpg

Control1g.jpg

Working on this now to place on top. Wind indicator with obstruction light on top and an arrow indicator as well.

Screen shot 2014-09-28 at 1.46.23 AM.png

wind.jpg
    Last edited by ♣_Spiritus_♣; Sep-28-2014 at 03:30.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    136.69 MB

Hello guys, Hi Spiritus_Mortem.

Blender is a good software, the best free 3d modeller software. Sadly I can not give you advise, because I don't use it. I use 3ds max, but this is not a big problem, since these programs can save in compatible file formats, so you can use Blender if you want (the TF import requires 3ds max 8 files, so the final steps have to do in 3ds max anyway).

I can give you advise about modelling, if you send me the 3d files, I can check it, and tell you if I see any problem (structure, polygons, etc.). One of the most important rule, try to use as few polygon as possible, delete the polygons which is unseen on the model. And use this rule very drastic way! For example, here is the KG-13 stick (export from game). You see the model as you see in the game. The second picture shows the structure. The third picture shows the other side of the object, almost the half of the stick is missing. This rule with buildings also stands. The polygons which is invisible from normal view, need to delete.
    stick_01.jpg stick_02.jpg stick_03.jpg

Another important rule, that you should use only triangle or square polygons if possible. Good to know, the game will use only triangles, so if you create a 16 side "circle" that will increase the poly limit with 14, not 1.
    circle_01.jpg circle_02.jpg

There is countless other rule, like "try avoid overlap surfaces", or "try avoid hidden polygons", or how can you create the objects which will make the UV mapping (see below) easier. You will learn these soon, I can not write here a complete tutorial.

We use the game's old textures if we can, but this is very rare in aircrafts, the new objects need lot of new texture. This can be easier with buildings.

There is a workflow-step call it "UV mapping" or "UVW mapping". When you will working with textures, this should be the first step. This is a time consuming, but very important step, where you create the layout of the model surfaces, create the texture file. Modify this UVW map is annoying later, so try to create the whole model first, then create the UVW map.
    For example, the UVW map of U-boot looks like this (The 3d model and the UVW map need to make the 3D artist):
    UVWrender_2K.jpg

Finally, you need to paint the final texture*.
    UBootVII_2K.jpg

So. As you see, creating 3d objects is not simple, not fast, but very exciting to see that you can create something which will come to life in the game. I hope your enthusiastic will last long and you will become one of our 3d artist in the future

*Currently we looking for texture painters too, who could take over this work from 3d artists. As you see, this is lot harder than fill colors on the average aircraft skin template, We need to drawing the panel lines, rivets, equipments, everything. Requires high photoshop skill, and patience to working on details).

Cheers
    Tom

Win11, AMD 3900X, EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 12GB, 128GB RAM, 3840x2160 UHD 43", Logitech G940, MFG Crosswind v3, TrackIr4Pro w Delanclip.
    VR: Samsung Odyssey+ (Windows Mixed Reality HMD), 2880x1600px total resolution.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

Great post Tom! Thanks a lot for that, lots of info to keep in mind. No circles! Hmmmmmm

Got some RL work to tinker with today but I'll take my wind indicator and UV map it and *attempt to give it some paint and texture today and send it your way so I know what not and what to do in the future.

This process has gave me an entire different level of respect for video games in general. Really is phenomenal what we get to do, all which takes place in real time while flying with guys 10,000 miles away.

Also, with deleting "unseen" parts, on buildings I can only think of the bottom polygon as being "unseen." With that in mind though, do you think it is better to just paint the windows on and the details like that rather than making them in 3D? That creates lots and lots of polygons when you subdivide to make the windows...
    Last edited by ♣_Spiritus_♣; Sep-28-2014 at 12:01.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    136.69 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritus_Mortem View Post
    No circles! Hmmmmmm
    Of course you can use circles if need, the point is the polygon number. The 3d modelling programs can count the polygons, but they count only the areas which bounded by edges. The games divide all polygons to triangles. This difference can be huge. Good to know this when you make 3D models.

Also, with deleting "unseen" parts, on buildings I can only think of the bottom polygon as being "unseen." With that in mind though, do you think it is better to just paint the windows on and the details like that rather than making them in 3D? That creates lots and lots of polygons when you subdivide to make the windows...
    No need 3D windows. The maps contain very large number of buildings, absolutely critical to keep the poly numbers as low as possible. You can make couple of important buildings or landscape element more detailed than others, but in general you should keep them in same level of detail. You can examine the current buildings in the full mission builder.

Win11, AMD 3900X, EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 12GB, 128GB RAM, 3840x2160 UHD 43", Logitech G940, MFG Crosswind v3, TrackIr4Pro w Delanclip.
    VR: Samsung Odyssey+ (Windows Mixed Reality HMD), 2880x1600px total resolution.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

Gah! Help.

How to fix this and why is it doing this? I want to make sure I have good seams and no stretching but for some reason some of the box is inverted or whatever you want to call it!

Screen shot 2014-09-28 at 2.34.02 PM.png

Screen shot 2014-09-28 at 2.34.07 PM.png

*EDIT: Think I fixed it... had to be in "cycles render" and not "blender render"
    Last edited by ♣_Spiritus_♣; Sep-28-2014 at 18:11.

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    34.74 MB

You've come a long way fast, really impressive. I have never worked with these 3D programs - Blender and 3DMax but I experienced a near vertical learning curve using Cinema4D for animations for video, horrendous rendering times!!! I was involved with computers early on and there was always a ceiling with programs but now it really does seem unlimited.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Markie View Post
    You've come a long way fast, really impressive. I have never worked with these 3D programs - Blender and 3DMax but I experienced a near vertical learning curve using Cinema4D for animations for video, horrendous rendering times!!! I was involved with computers early on and there was always a ceiling with programs but now it really does seem unlimited.

Thanks Markie. It is interesting and fun but sure is frustrating at the same time. I wish I had more background, the only computer class I ever remember taking was in middle school doing the typing drills..... fjf ffjj fjf

I figure that it is important to get the checkered squares lined up properly in UV mapping but I can't seem to get past this hurdle:

When I unwrap, I then go to the 3d area and select the "project from view" and this corrects all the squares to be the same size and dimension but they don't line up at all from side to side. So to do that you stitch but when I do that this happens, see how it makes the squares all wavy. WTF?

Before stitch
    Screen shot 2014-09-28 at 6.10.57 PM.png

After stitch
    Screen shot 2014-09-28 at 6.11.08 PM.png

EDIT: I think I will continue to post all this error, trail, error, solution here in the hopes that it will help someone else starting out, so forgive me.

Not sure if my "project from views were just slightly off or what but just tried it all over again and it seems to be working. I think you have to be perfect with your view including zoom when you select to project, so aka don't touch your mouse, use views front,right, back, left... or 1, 3, cntrl 1, cntrl 3
    Last edited by ♣_Spiritus_♣; Sep-28-2014 at 19:51.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

For anyone learning with me..... Bueller....Bueller.... has anyone seen Ferris today?

I decided to change what I was picking to "project from view" to the UV map editor. I picked the four big sides to stitch together, then all three angles of that overhang together, then finally the top was by itself. Then cntrl P to place them all on the grid to make room for everything else.

Looking good. Big hurdle today, glad I stuck it out. You really have to think both as the 3D modeler and as the texture artist at the same time to make progress. That is how I figured out what to group with what. I knew the sides would be the same and at first was trying to keep that overhang with it until I thought of it as probably going to be a different color. Those small things are what nobody mentions when doing this because its almost a given but I completely overlooked it.

Screen shot 2014-09-28 at 7.03.51 PM.png

Screen shot 2014-09-28 at 7.04.03 PM.png

Screen shot 2014-09-28 at 7.04.23 PM.png
    Last edited by ♣_Spiritus_♣; Sep-28-2014 at 20:26.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    403.38 MB

Hi SM and Tom,

I did a short course a couple of years ago in Maya.
    Made this, an Australian deep space vessel "the Matilda":

And then did a composite for an approach to Enceldus, one of the small moons of Saturn.
    It's a supply vessel with a forward spar of shipping container type modules for re-supply of deep space research stations.

Here it is in action: Youtube: The Matilda on approach to Enceledus And also.

If there's stuff to be done and you can help me do the import / export to Maya I'm happy to take on a few bits an pieces.

I wouldn't mind building the V2 rocket facility at Wizernes:
    That would be a cool target to put into a map.
    Maybe when the the Wellington is finished - this would require a LOT of really precise tonnage.

Doccumentary on La Coupole and German Megastructures

Last edited by Decay; Sep-28-2014 at 22:33.
    "If a job's worth doing, it's worth half doing twice" - Homer

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

Thats great work! You should email TF and see if they need some help, looks like you know what you are doing.

And I agree, that would be a great target/object for mission makers!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

Think it came out good for a first try at unwrapping... maybe I should have started with an easier shape.

Stairs were tricky and the top of the deck for some reason isn't a complete stitch... I think I might have bumped it off at some point cause it was before I finished. I figure the railing and the steps won't really be taking all that much detail so not a huge issue IM[limited]O on this. Next step is to photoshop and see how I do there... probably not very well but whatever... nothing like copy and paste rather than drawing my own windows!

Screen shot 2014-09-28 at 9.12.56 PM.png

UnWrap1.jpg

UnWrap2.jpg

Football and beer time.

Last edited by ♣_Spiritus_♣; Sep-29-2014 at 03:13.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

Think I will start texturing now. I am happy with the 3D aspects, think they turned out nice for a FNG.

Final.jpg

Final1.jpg

Final3.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    2.38 GB

Impressive work

Couple more months at this rate and you'll be building an aircraft cockpit

Very inspirational mate, cheers, MP
    "The needs of the Flight Sim Community outweigh the needs of the one or the few"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Mysticpuma View Post
    Impressive work

Very inspirational mate, cheers, MP
    Thanks MP! It was fun to do, I love learning new things. I've never really mastered anything in my life because I like to tinker in everything. Hopefully someone else will see this and know that it is possible to do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Thanks MP! It was fun to do, I love learning new things. I've never really mastered anything in my life because I like to tinker in everything. Hopefully someone else will see this and know that it is possible to do.

Go on, you seem to have talent!
    MSI GAMING G65 // i7 4770k @ 4.2GHZ // ASUS GTX 780 CUll // 8GB RAM (@1600mhz) // Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit Version
    Thrustmaster T16000 + Saitek x52 Throttle // Saitek Throttle Quadrant // MFG Crosswind Pedals // Track IR 5

www.jagdgeschwader4.de

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Lewis View Post
    It seems there are a few newby 3D modellers out there.....

I wondered.....

Seeing how far SM has come in such a short time I wonder how far one would have to go with a 3D modelling program to be of some use to the TF team?...I mean if there are small groups of beginner modellers that can make small things each or a certain part of an aircraft, ship or building?....Can it be done in this manner or does it demand that one experienced modeller makes a whole aircraft on one PC?

Can beginner modellers take on small simple tasks that maybe time consuming in order to alleviate the bulky workload helping the experienced modellers to concentrate on the complex stuff?......Similar to a subcontractor is what I'm thinking

I'm just bouncing ideas....
    I said this ages ago Lewis. I downloaded Blender and there are tutorials on their website which are superb. My problem is pure time, I just don't have it, or I would definitely be making simple crap like desert mud dwellings, cargo boxes, a Mk3 Field toilet etc.

The more people pick up Blender the better. There should also be a push into the World of Tanks area - there are tons of people, like War Thunder, who may well be itching for something more realistic and have the talent to do something about it. It's called growth.

I can't defend the fact that I haven't done anything personally expect mention this from the ignorable ACG, but I run ACG which is a mammoth effort, and we have done our bit to keep people in COD and get new people into COD too.

~S~

PS, Brilliant SM, you've done just what i wanted to do, I didn't get anywhere near as far as you have!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

@Decay,

That is wonderful mate but would take huge effort for a unique piece, whereas right now something more widely usable would perhaps be better. Having said that, Germany built structures like this to a pattern, like Ikea, so building a V2 launch site which could be planted in different places on the map would be great. Of course the downside is that it has to work and launch V2 rockets, and the V2 was at a very late stage in the war where TF have not got near yet. I suggest speaking with TF about what they need built if you have this talent

Other similar structures which would be simpler for late war would be the Atlantic wall defences, these are repeatable designs right along the coasts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
    or I would definitely be making simple crap like desert mud dwellings, cargo boxes, a Mk3 Field toilet etc.

PS, Brilliant SM, you've done just what i wanted to do, I didn't get anywhere near as far as you have!

Thanks! I say keep at it, my time has dwindled recently with the last part of the semester here and my thesis well underway but an hour here or there is always productive.

And the simple crap is what really makes this game rise above the rest IMO. Without the hundreds and hundreds of objects that seem to go unnoticed this game would be a shell of what it is. Only when you remove those items is when people really start to notice them. They are the real things that get people smiling and saying, "damn this is awesome!"

I started small and easy and now have a pretty complex static object complete as well as a vehicle so there is always room to grow and grow fast if you have the time/will.

PM me or post here if you have any questions or work arounds in Blender. I use "cycles render" engine instead of the default "blender render" fyi, I have found it easier to work in when uvmapping and adding texture files.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

How does one go about importing a cockpit, what 3D program must be used?
    Do you import gauge by gauge and panel on its own. And the clickable feature, is this added after import ? The animation of the buttons? I am aware how it goes in IL 2 , is it similar procedure?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Quote Originally Posted by LuseKofte View Post
    How does one go about importing a cockpit, what 3D program must be used?
    Do you import gauge by gauge and panel on its own. And the clickable feature, is this added after import ? The animation of the buttons? I am aware how it goes in IL 2 , is it similar procedure?
    There are similarities to IL-2 1946, but it is more complex, and enough differences that it cannot be accomplished by someone coming from the old game.

It took us more than a year of much hard work and struggles to find out how to do this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast