Thread: Joystick and HOTAS port mapping program - JoyID

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    457.02 MB

Joystick and HOTAS port mapping program - JoyID

JoyID is a great little utility that helps keep all our simulation devices (joystick, throttle, pedals, etc.) in the correct ports under Windows. This utility allows you to choose which port windows will use for each device.

Since Windows has a bad habit of re-arranging ports when you add another USB device, one can imagine how frustrating it might be to finally have all your buttons/axis assigned just to lose them all once you've changed some USB devices around.

This utility keeps the ports where you want them to assigned to regardless of USB changes and is perfect for those with multiple devices from different manufacturers.

Attached Files Attached Files

"The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself". - Archibald Macleish

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    319.97 MB

Re: Joystick and HOTAS port mapping program - JoyID

Note: This tool has an effect only with games using the (old, deprecated) Win32_API for joysticks. Newer games (starting at least with IL-2 1946) probably use the DirectInput API which unfortunately ignores these IDs completely.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Artist View Post
    Note: This tool has an effect only with games using the (old, deprecated) Win32_API for joysticks. Newer games (starting at least with IL-2 1946) probably use the DirectInput API which unfortunately ignores these IDs completely.
    However, it is of use with many other things which also use old-style WinAPI joystick ID numbering, such as Autohotkey.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Thanks to all the replies ...
    I am starting considering remapping everything again but before ... I heard about this:

I´ve tried it but to no avail:

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/threads/sw...ollers.511122/

Here's the instructions on how to change their order on the list, howeve
    a Direct eXpert has already posted before in this newsgroup that the i
    makes no difference which order they are listed in. Just the same...

Here's a post Chris H. made some time ago "on how to set up th
    sequence of which controller is first, second, etc. It depends o
    which device you want to set with first priority. The example is t
    set a Mad Catz wheel first in the order, followed by a game port device

The same would apply for USB devices
    ====
    1) Unplug all devices from syste
    2) Plug-in the Mad Catz Andretti Whee
    3) Run the game controllers control pane
    4) Click the "Advanced" button and set the wheel as the preferred devic
    5) Unplug the whee
    6) Plug-in the USB Gravis GamePad Pr
    7) Run the game controllers control pane
    8) Click the "Advanced" button and set the USB GamePad Pr
    as the preferred devic
    9) Unplug the Gravis GamePad Pr
    10) Now plug-in the wheel, followed by the USB GamePad Pro

By setting both devices to preferred, we actually clear their previous I
    settings. By replugging them in the desired order, i.e. wheel then GamePa
    Pro, the wheel gets ID1 and the GamePad Pro gets ID2.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    155.92 MB

This sounds like a great tool, gonna have to try it out!

Since the Win10 Anniversary update Windows wants to swap IDs of my joystick and rudder pedals. Normally I'd just leave it be and just go through the hassle of remapping Cliffs... but then there's DCS... and, no, god no, never again!

So far the only way to get Windows to have the controllers in the order that I want is to unplug them, delete them via the device manager and then pluging them back in. It's a hassle I'd just like to get rid of because I need to do that after ever reboot now. Friggin' Microsoft and their updates!

6. Likes PhoenixCNE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    155.92 MB

After several days of use I can say it's working like a charm. Great utility!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.58 GB

Hey Bliss, (if you are still out there) this is working well on windows 10!

No more resetting the USB game controllers and deleting and replugging all the peripherals. Wonderful! Had to redo all of the controls to get it up and running, but that's ok.

@ Karaya, thanks for letting us know that it worked for you, because i wasn't going to try it.

@ Snapper - did you see this? I was using the method you posted, but this is means no need to reset every time.
    "If you want to fly, give up everything that weighs you down"......

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

@Farley: Yes, I'm going to give this utility another go. I duffed it up on my first try back in '14 (as only Snapper can LOL), so maybe it's worth another try.

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

10. Likes farley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.58 GB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Snapper View Post
    @Farley: Yes, I'm going to give this utility another go. I duffed it up on my first try back in '14 (as only Snapper can LOL), so maybe it's worth another try.
    Well all i did was:

- download program
    - plug peripherals ( in my case EDTracker, stick, throttle, rudder pedals, flight quadrant, trim wheel) into the usb ports that i will plug them into every time i re plug them in. EDIT: i plugged them in and loaded them into the program one device at a time but don't know that you have to.
    - open the program and move the peripherals into the order desired (or leave them how they are) by left clicking the listed peripheral and then left clicking on the line you want it to move to ( i did this to make it easier for me to remember which one is going where)
    - reset all of my axis and buttons in the game control section (i needed to do this, but not sure if everyone will)
    - right click and then open "save loadout file" and rename it
    - right click and open "load layout file" and load the new file
    - close it down and then all set to go

I use a device like this to plug all of my peripherals into. This way i don't have to plug them into the back of the computer.
    images.jpg

Just removed all of my gaming peripherals and restarted computer, plugged a few into the assigned usb slots, started the sim, and voila, they all worked!!! When restarting computer don't need to open the program for it to work.
    So looks like the end of having to set the peripherals up every time i plug them in now - generally i end up storing them every evening, so this is nice.

EDIT: This seemed to work, and then didn't, but recently followed this thread and with JoyID the problem has been resolved.
    Last edited by farley; Oct-29-2016 at 14:04.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.58 GB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Bliss View Post
    JoyID is a great little utility that helps keep all our simulation devices (joystick, throttle, pedals, etc.) in the correct ports under Windows. This utility allows you to choose which port windows will use for each device.

Since Windows has a bad habit of re-arranging ports when you add another USB device, one can imagine how frustrating it might be to finally have all your buttons/axis assigned just to lose them all once you've changed some USB devices around.

This utility keeps the ports where you want them to assigned to regardless of USB changes and is perfect for those with multiple devices from different manufacturers.

Hi Bliss.

I tried this program some time ago, and it worked and then didn't after two or three loadings, so i put it away. Downloaded again last night, and set it up. Turned off computer, restarted and it seemed to put the peripherals in proper order. So went to bed a happy man (in spite of the fact that I'd just been smoked by Smoke jumper!).

So, of course, like a kid at Christmas, woke this morning, fired up computer, opened JOYID, reloaded the saved program, and it did not work. Fiddled and changed set up orders again etc, to no avail. Is there something that i am doing wrong? I thought as long as i opened JOYID the peripherals would line up like good little soldiers, and all would be well.

So it seems like i will continue to use Snappers set up of opening "game controllers", then "connect device settings", and unplugging - replugging usb's to set up proper order of peripherals. Snappers way, which has proven fail proof, only takes a minute, but being a lazy butt i was hoping that JOY ID would do the trick.

I appreciate any help that you, Bliss, or anyone else can offer.

Thanks in advance for any help that comes along here. You're a lovely bunch!

13. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    95.3 KB

~S~

I've been trying to use the JoyID but to know avail.

I have had to reset my USB controls countless time and TBH I am getting really fed up with it.

As you can see from the image below on the left, I have used JoyID to identify my controllers in the correct sequence and then saved the profile.

But when booting the PC again, as you can see from the image on the right, the USB port ID's have changed (friggin Win10).

If I then use JoyID to load the saved profile in the correct order, although JoyID says they have been changed, the Game Controller stays the same and does not change.

It is as if JoyID cannot actually change the USB port allocations.

Can anyone suggest anything?

Thanks!

CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K 4.2GHz Kaby Lake overclocked to 4.60GHz, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IX Hero -Z Intel Z97 (Socket 1151)
    RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR4 Dual 3000Mhz, GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X 11Gb GDDR5X, OS: Windows 10
    SSD: Samsung M2 EVO 500Gb, Joystick: Thrustmaster Warthog Joystick & Throttle, Saitek Combat Pedals, Monitor: ASUS PG348Q and TrackIR5

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.58 GB

I feel your pain bro.

This whole peripheral vs Win 10 is frustrating. "Win" is winning and we are losing!

First i will refer you to Snappers solution, which works every time. (He's a good man that Snap!):

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.co...ht=peripherals

It is simple, and after running through it a few times, only takes 1 - 2 minutes max. to get it running.

Now..... I've tried solutions that worked, and then didn't (see above) Vortex, so I'm a bit leary of offering advice here, but here goes...

I retried JoyID a short time ago, and ultimately ended up with the results that you are having - no joy...

Then i noticed that no matter the order i plugged in the peripherals, JoyID listed the peripherals in the same order every time. So what i did was set up the peripherals in CoD in the order that Joy ID did. I did not change where i plugged my peripherals into - not sure if that matters, but i kept them the same.

So unplugged all peripherals, then plugged in (for example) the rudder pedals because they were at the top of the JoyID list when all peripherals were plugged in.

Then went into options - controls in CLiffs and set up the rudder commands.

The next peripheral in JoyID was always the throttle. So next i plugged in the throttle and set it up in the control panel. And so on.

In other words, instead of constantly trying to get JoyID to set up the peripherals the way i wanted it to, i set up the peripherals in Cliffs the way JoyID had them organized. I saved the setting in JoyID.

Since doing that (because i unplug the peripherals whenever i am not flying - shared computer and no one likes working around the peripherals), prior to turning on the computer, i plug in all of the peripherals (again, i plug them into the same ports but not sure if it matters)
    , then turn on the computer. I do not go near the JoyID program at all, i just go into the game,and all is well. The peripherals are all working (see below for one caveat) and i have not had to redo them in the past couple of weeks.

Just as a side note here, the peripherals i use are CH throttle and fighterstick, Saitek rudder pedals, Saitek flight quadrant, and the Saitek trim wheel - the trim wheel is where the caveat comes in - i usually have to go into the "game controllers" window and then highlight the trim wheel then click "properties" and move the wheel to get it to operate in the sim.

Easier still however is to have your computer "Sleep" instead of turning it off. Then none of this needs to be done. One note though is that if you do put it to sleep, and if you unplug your peripherals, you must plug them back into the same USB ports before starting the computer again, or the old problem of them not being setup in the right place will return. At least that works for me.

So Vortex, I'd suggest that you try setting up your peripherals as i have outlined above, by setting them up in Cliffs according in the order that JoyID has them listed, and see if you have the same luck that I've had. I'm not sure how clear the instructions were, so just ask about anything if i have confused you. But if you try it, send a reply so i/we can see if it works for you.

Good luck!
    Last edited by farley; Feb-02-2017 at 16:36.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    95.3 KB

Hi Farley...

Many thanks indeed for the full explanation of trying to sort this out. It is a shame that the simple solution of using the JoyID doesn't seem to work! Couldn't agree with you more when you say, "Win is winning"!!!

I will certainly take a good shot at Snappers solution and let you know who it goes. Leaving the computer in sleep mode isn't an option for me as I frequently travel and there's no point in leaving the computer in sleep mode for days on end.

The solution of using a USB hub might be the best option as crawling around at the back of my rig every time I wish to play CloD or DCS will be just a balls ache! So I'll give Snappers advice a go and hopefully that be the end of it.

I wonder of the 'Gaming' version of Win10 due to be released in the spring will sort the problem, we'll see!

Many thanks once again, really appreciated.

Cheers...
    CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K 4.2GHz Kaby Lake overclocked to 4.60GHz, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IX Hero -Z Intel Z97 (Socket 1151)
    RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR4 Dual 3000Mhz, GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X 11Gb GDDR5X, OS: Windows 10
    SSD: Samsung M2 EVO 500Gb, Joystick: Thrustmaster Warthog Joystick & Throttle, Saitek Combat Pedals, Monitor: ASUS PG348Q and TrackIR5

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.58 GB

Hey Vortex,

Good luck. Yes, having a usb hub sure makes plugging in peripherals a lot easier. My hub plugs into a powered usb i added to the computer and it has worked well.
    No fussing about the backside any more.

It will be really nice if windows figures this out, but not holding my breath...
    Last edited by farley; Feb-03-2017 at 16:33.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    95.3 KB

Hi Farley...

USB hub trick seems to be working, yey!

As you said, not holding my breath on this!

19. Likes farley liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

Nice. Thank you!

Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    130.02 MB

FYI I've been using this solution for a year or two and it works well:

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...ad.php?t=23995

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

You'll probably have to edit the registry, which if you're not familiar with, is unadvised. 9Apps VidMate download vlc.vin
    Last edited by smithclarkson01; Feb-08-2020 at 18:53.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I love this game, but there's one massive issue - the way it detects joysticks. It's an issue that existed with ROF and still exists with IL2 BOS - if I change any peripherals on my PC, my joystick IDs change, and all my IL2 BOS binds no longer work. There's no way to manually change joystick IDs with Windows 8, and it randomly assigns IDs depending on what's plugged in. I only have a set amount of USB ports, so every time I swap my G940 for my racing wheel, all my IL2 BOS binds get broken. I then have to spend another hour to rebind everything, which is ludicrous. shareit https://get-vidmateapk.com
    Last edited by barrysingh101; Oct-06-2019 at 06:33.

24. Likes ATAG_Highseas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Quote Originally Posted by barrysingh101 View Post
    I love this game, but there's one massive issue - the way it detects joysticks. It's an issue that existed with ROF and still exists with IL2 BOS - if I change any peripherals on my PC, my joystick IDs change, and all my IL2 BOS binds no longer work. There's no way to manually change joystick IDs with Windows 8, and it randomly assigns IDs depending on what's plugged in. I only have a set amount of USB ports, so every time I swap my G940 for my racing wheel, all my IL2 BOS binds get broken. I then have to spend another hour to rebind everything, which is ludicrous.
    Windows will reassign the same IDs if the devices are plugged into the exact same ports.
    I use one 4-port USB hub, which is always plugged in the same USB port on the PC. I mark the ports on the USB hub for Joystick, Rudder, Throttle, etc so if I unplug these I know where to plug them back.
    Works for me that way.
    There are other tools/software to manually assign the IDs such as "devreorder". Click here for a discussion on the topic.
    Gigabyte Z390 UD | i7 9700K @3.60GHz | 16.0 GB | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pro rudder pedals | TrackIR 5 | TeamSpeak 3.3.2 | TS Notifier 1.6.0h

26. Likes ATAG_Highseas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.58 GB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Noofy View Post
    Windows will reassign the same IDs if the devices are plugged into the exact same ports.
    I use one 4-port USB hub, which is always plugged in the same USB port on the PC. I mark the ports on the USB hub for Joystick, Rudder, Throttle, etc so if I unplug these I know where to plug them back.
    Works for me that way.
    Noof and Barry, I find this system works for me as well.

28. Likes ATAG_Noofy, ATAG_Highseas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by barrysingh101 View Post
    I love this game, but there's one massive issue - the way it detects joysticks. It's an issue that existed with ROF and still exists with IL2 BOS - if I change any peripherals on my PC, my joystick IDs change, and all my IL2 BOS binds no longer work. There's no way to manually change joystick IDs with Windows 8, and it randomly assigns IDs depending on what's plugged in. I only have a set amount of USB ports, so every time I swap my G940 for my racing wheel, all my IL2 BOS binds get broken. I then have to spend another hour to rebind everything, which is ludicrous.
    I keep a backup of the confuser.ini

I have about 8 peripherals and this goes out of kilter for me from time to time even if i leave all the usbs alone.

when it goes wrong i go into game... bind just ONE obvious key one each device...

open the now current confuer.ini and get the new device ID name .. (cut and paste)

then open my saved confuser... do a find and replace... and copy that file and overwrite the one the game is using.

sure its a mild pain... but it takes about 3 minutes... rather than 2 hours. PHEW !!

maybe someone could write a script to make this an in game feature... but i recon they are probably busy with other stuff !!

this works for me in the interim... amd has saved me many many hours of massive frustration.

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

30. Likes farley, ATAG_Noofy, Little Bill liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I'm using 2 sticks for star citizen (T16KM FCS & Cobra M5) and it worked like a charm for the last days, using vjoy and ujr to make the twist axes of the M5 work.

Unfortunately, upon reconnecting them to my pc the other day, the inputs are new, my first joystick is now recognized as joystick 3 and the other one as joystick 1 (before it was 1 and 2 I think).
    Is there any way to reset these? I tried uninstalling the HID devices in the device manager, didn't work. And now I can't seem to get anything to work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Quote Originally Posted by smithclarkson001 View Post
    I'm using 2 sticks for star citizen (T16KM FCS & Cobra M5) and it worked like a charm for the last days, using vjoy and ujr to make the twist axes of the M5 work.

Unfortunately, upon reconnecting them to my pc the other day, the inputs are new, my first joystick is now recognized as joystick 3 and the other one as joystick 1 (before it was 1 and 2 I think).
    Is there any way to reset these? I tried uninstalling the HID devices in the device manager, didn't work. And now I can't seem to get anything to work.
    You must plug them in in the same ports and in the same order...
    Easiest is to use a multiple usb hub, mark where each device goes, and always plug it in the same usb pc port.
    Never had this issue since I have been using this simple trick...
    Gigabyte Z390 UD | i7 9700K @3.60GHz | 16.0 GB | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pro rudder pedals | TrackIR 5 | TeamSpeak 3.3.2 | TS Notifier 1.6.0h