Thread: Two Nvidia cards now working in SLI on CLoD!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

Two Nvidia cards now working in SLI on CLoD!

After settting up three monitors for CLoD, I discovered that my computer needed the boost of an additional graphics card. So I bought a second, identical card only to discover that while it worked well with the three screen view, the SLI feature was not making any impact when on a single screen. I still found it necessary to reduce some of the in-game graphics settings when flying in those missions with lots of clouds or cityscapes, especially the Carpiquet-Crepon scenario.

After a long search, I have discovered a simple way to implement two-card SLI on one NVidia Surround screen , resulting in an enormous increase in framerate and visual smoothness. Please note that I can only address the vast improvement I have seen on my system with 2x GTX 780's. While I see no reason for it not to work for everyone using SLI, I can't guaranty that it will. [UPDATE... apparantly it does! See next two replies to this thread.]

Our objective is to make the computer alternate between the two GPUs when drawing the screen using "Alternate Frame Rendering method two". The following instructions assume that you have SLI set up with multi-screen Nvidia 2D Surround and that SLI shows "Enabled" in the Nvidia control panel. I have no way to tell whether or not it works on Non Surround single monitor SLI setups.

Verify or load NVidia Driver 344.11 or later.

Download Free NVIDIA Inspector 1.9.7.2 or later at your favorite site or:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/...nspector.shtml

Open it and click on the "Driver Version" tools icon, halfway down on the right.

This opens a "Profile Settings" screen revealing a plethora of settings for your graphics card. About halfway down is the section entitled "SLI". Select the following three options:

"Number of GPUs to use on SLI rendering mode" SLI_GPU_COUNT_TWO
    "NVIDIA predefined numberof GPUs to use on SLI rendering mode" SLI_PREDEFINED_GPU_COUNT_TWO
    "SLI rendering mode" SLI_RENDERING_MODE_FORCE_AFR2

Apply the changes by clicking the button at the upper right of the screen. Close the Profile Settings and the Nvidia Inspector.

Right click the desktop to select your NV Surround screen resolution for a single screen. Mine is 2560 x 1600, the native resolution.

Run Cliffs of Dover, select OPTIONS/VIDEO and set the same resolution you just selected from the desktop. Select "VERY HIGH", and deselect VSYNC per NVIDIA SLI recommendations to release the framerate. UPDATE: Some of us find in-game Vsynch to be very effective. You'll have to restart the application. When you come back in to the game, remember to run any quick mission for a few seconds to eliminate the green particles (smoke & dust) issue associated with SLI.

Enter the server and play the game. Let us know how things worked with your computer configuration in this thread.

UPDATE 09/13/2016: After the Windows 10 and GTX 980ti Video cards were installed, I found it necessary to change from AFR2 to AFR (AFR1, I guess), to prevent some weird shearing and such. My advice is for all to experiment to find out which AFR is best for your setup after you finally get the SLI working.

Nvidia Inspector is no longer necessary since AFR and AFR2 are now available in the 3D settings of the Nvidia control panel.
    Last edited by Baffin; Sep-20-2016 at 08:22. Reason: Add driver version
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

2. Likes donik, Relix, XE9O, Sn8ke_iis, invictus84 liked this post
    The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

Re: Two Nvidia cards now working in SLI on CLoD!

Excellent, thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Works like a charm even with downsampling

i have a screen with max res of 1920x1200 now i dubbled that and still have a fps at 120!!!!!

no micro lag on atag server

you sir deserve a medal

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    118.76 MB

Thanks, Fidget!
    This works great for me; I'm using single screen in SLI. (not 'surround')

Had to enable VSYNC in the game settings, and things seem to be fairly smooth now!
    Intel i875K oc'd @ 3.80ghz | 8GB 1600mhz Corsair Ram | EVGA P55 FTW 200 mobo
    EVGA GTX980ti | 34" LG Ultrawide @ 3440 x 1440
    TrackIR5 | TM Warthog Throttle | Saitek Rudder Pedals
    CH Products Combatstick/MSFFB2 "Frankenstick"

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

Quote Originally Posted by SunDog View Post
    Thanks, Fidget!
    This works great for me; I'm using single screen in SLI. (not 'surround')

Had to enable VSYNC in the game settings, and things seem to be fairly smooth now!
    You're welcome! It's wierd that Nvidia recommends Vsynch OFF with SLI, but like you, it smooths my display and makes the Propeller disk look correct.
    Last edited by Baffin; Sep-20-2016 at 08:17.
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

7. Likes XE9O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    77.46 MB

Hey all

So, this works for me. I have SLI 780's. However, if I turn on VSYNC my FPS drops from 90fps down to about 45.. which is strange. I would expect it to cap at 60 and stay there.
    Also, seems like my prop vanishes from time to time.

Otherwise, enjoying the FPS increase for sure! Thanks for this
    Intel Ivy Bridge 3570k @ 4.4ghz // 16GB Ram // Asus GTX 780 DC2 2xSLI // LG 34" 3440x1440 // Windows 8.1 Pro
    CH Fighterstick // CH Throttle // CH Pedals // CH Quadrant // Track IR 5 // Sennheiser PC360 Headset

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,006.43 MB

Quote Originally Posted by donik View Post
    Hey all

So, this works for me. I have SLI 780's. However, if I turn on VSYNC my FPS drops from 90fps down to about 45.. which is strange. I would expect it to cap at 60 and stay there.
    Also, seems like my prop vanishes from time to time.

Otherwise, enjoying the FPS increase for sure! Thanks for this

Same for me, with VSYNC enabled fps is 45 but without it 90-100. no screen tearing yet so off it is!

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    355.85 MB

For me vsync was the only thing that would make my prop stop shearing ... I was getting well over 60 fps but only the prop was causing a tearing effect. With vsync 60fps constant and no prop shearing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    270.07 MB

I´ve tried so many times but just couldn´t make SLI to work (two 980´s). When game is loading I got two yellow icons instead of one. Does it happen to you guys? Thanks,

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Mad G View Post
    I´ve tried so many times but just couldn´t make SLI to work (two 980´s). When game is loading I got two yellow icons instead of one. Does it happen to you guys? Thanks,
    I have always seen two cross hairs icons during startup with SLI. Two or three GTX 780's... doesn't matter, always two icons!

13. Likes XE9O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    270.07 MB

Thanks Fidget, good to know that. Perhaps my failure has to do with a 4k resolution monitor, don´t know. I ordered one of these nice EVGA SLI bridge and soon will try again, let´s see.

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    355.85 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Mad G View Post
    I also had this problem when using DSR and bumping my resolution up. In order for me to use DSR with SLI I had to bump my desktop resolution up to the same res I was trying to play the game in, no idea why cliffs works this way its the only game I have run into this with.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    270.07 MB

Actually I´m not using DSR, I have an Asus PB287Q 4k monitor at 3840x2160, but for daily use I have it at 2560x1440 and CLOD at 3840x2160. Next try I´ll have it at native resolution as well. Thanks,

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

I was carefully watching a startup and saw the double cross hairs turn into one single cross hair a second before the screen changed. Perhaps it's just a temporary glitch during the game start. Anyway, the SLI still works properly after all is said and done.
    Last edited by Baffin; Aug-10-2015 at 09:38.

18. Likes XE9O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

I have transitioned to two 980ti's powering a big-screen 4k TV. It all works well, but I use AFR 1 instead of AFR2 to avoid minor menu problems in CLoD.
    Last edited by Baffin; Nov-26-2016 at 10:02.

20. Likes XE9O, Sn8ke_iis liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Thanks that works, now getting constant 30 FPS on a 4K monitor where before only 15.

Only problem is menu screens aren't refreshing. i have to move the mouse cursor around from menu options to show up.
    ((( Ryzen 5 - 3600X CPU @ 3.8 GHz )))
    ((( MSI GForce GTX 1080 Gaming X )))
    ((( 32 G Ram )))
    ((( Win 10 professional 64 )))
    ((( Samsung 4K monitor )))

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    10.66 MB

Thanks Guys!

IL2 BOS and DCS ran so much smoother than CLOD before I adjusted these settings per you advice. Using the London Sightseeing mission as a benchmark, before I was lucky to get 45-50 fps with stuttering with AA turned off. I run two EVGA 1080's.

Now I have AA fully cranked to x8 and everything maxed except "Buildings Amount" set to High instead of unlimited and can break 100 fps at 4k! I have V sync OFF. I also use the FXAA in the Nvidia Control Panel per another thread and the game has never looked better and runs smoother than ever.

The real FPS killers for me after playing with the settings were V-Sync and Buildings Amount. Best results were with V-Sync off and Buildings Amount set to high instead of unlimited. Everything looks very smooth as well. A flat spin above the city has a nice blur effect with FPS staying constant above 60 fps with no visible stutters to break immersion.

Cheers,

Sn8ke_iis
    Asus ROG STRIX Z270I MoBo, Intel 7700K CPU @ 5.0 GHz, Nvidia Titan Xp GPU @ 2.1 GHz , EK Liquid Cooling, Gskill 16 GB DDR4 @ 3000 MHz RAM, Samsung 950 M.2 512 GB NVMe SSD, LG 65UH6030 4K 60 Hz panel, Sennheiser PC 363D headphones, TrackIR 5 w/Trackclip Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek: Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant, Combat Flight Pedals, Trim Wheel, Playseat Air Force Flightseat