Thread: Saitek X52 joystick troubles

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Saitek X52 joystick troubles

I am still struggling trying to play online and can't figure out what this issue is -

Single player is fine, controls are responsive and there is nothing out of the ordinary. I can fly all day long.

But when I connect to the ATAG server it's unplayable. Response time for everything goes out the windows; I press a key (i.e. prop pitch) and instead of one click I see it advance or decrease in multiples. For example after barely making it off the ground because even the slightest stick movement sends me careening all over the runway - if I try to decrease pitch on click I see the numbers go from 100% down to 65% or less, one click back up and it jumps to 80 or 90. Same with the brakes, I hit the key once and I see it repeat about 20 times. I don't experience anything like this at all offline, it's smooth as glass.

As it stands now multiplayer does not appear to be an option until I get this sorted.

Have tried all I can think of; clean boot, no Anti virus running, no extra programs, etc. I am planning to upgrade my system when I can afford it but for now I am trying to work with what I have. If it helps here are my specs:

Asus P5k Delux P35R
    Intel E8400 Dual core
    4G Memory
    nVidia GTS 450
    Windows 7 64bit

Saitek X52
    Track IR 5

My internet connection has not given me issues before so am not sure to look at that. Or maybe my system is just as crappy as I suspect (built it in 2008 so it's showing its age)
    Last edited by Ow-Chi; Oct-11-2014 at 12:03.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    16.32 MB

Re: Something is really wrong, unable to fly online. Controls sappy, keys repeating

I have a Saitek X52 running on Windows 64 bit... now heres the question: Did you program your controls through saitek software or directly into the game? The reason i ask is simple: Saitek never made a 64 bit version of their program and its buggy as hell. In the begining, when i was using it, the controls would just go bezerk for no reason. I had to put my input directly into the game, losing the abbilitie of the 3 modes (but you dont really need them), but since i made that i only have to deal with a minor issue with saitek x52: Once i spawn i open my console of the game (you can define keys for that) and make a 360 circle with my joystick. Close the console and the stick behaves properly.

Its like the dogs doing a 3 turn before they lay down, they do it also. I think it "wakes up" the joystick for its correct parameters (at least on my end). I know, it looks like witchcraft, but hey, it works

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Re: Something is really wrong, unable to fly online. Controls sappy, keys repeating

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Lolsav View Post
    I have a Saitek X52 running on Windows 64 bit... now heres the question: Did you program your controls through saitek software or directly into the game? The reason i ask is simple: Saitek never made a 64 bit version of their program and its buggy as hell. In the begining, when i was using it, the controls would just go bezerk for no reason. I had to put my input directly into the game, losing the abbilitie of the 3 modes (but you dont really need them), but since i made that i only have to deal with a minor issue with saitek x52: Once i spawn i open my console of the game (you can define keys for that) and make a 360 circle with my joystick. Close the console and the stick behaves properly.

Its like the dogs doing a 3 turn before they lay down, they do it also. I think it "wakes up" the joystick for its correct parameters (at least on my end). I know, it looks like witchcraft, but hey, it works
    I am using the Saitek software, an older version. Have had a lot of problems with the x52 to be honest, it's taken a while to get it to behave and am no stranger to the bugginess especially going bezerk occasionally. With me I end up with it going off calibration for who knows what reason and I can tell because while flying it's impossible to keep straight. If I exit and look at the control panel sure enough the crosshair is nowhere near the middle anymore. But that is hit and miss, the problems I am seeing online are completely different.

You may be on to something that is definitely worth trying but I have to wonder, why only in MP and not SP? If things are going to be loopy just because of the programming software does it make sense that it would only be an issue online? I suppose even a little bit of lag might explain the repeating keys and unresponsiveness...

That being said I am going to try not using a profile and see if it makes a difference.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    16.32 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Ow-Chi View Post

That being said I am going to try not using a profile and see if it makes a difference.
    Try what i said about "opening the console" also. It makes a diffrence to me, ie, joystick behaves as it is supposed to.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.73 MB

In My case (no saitek here) I do have to move the throttle up/down all the way for the whole movement to be recognized before I fly.
    If I don't, the behavior is like you describe (but on the throttle only).

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

First test with no software (other than center TIR) is looking good - no repeating keys yet!

Thanks for the quick tip, fingers crossed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.32 MB

Hi gents,

i have a x52 too, with 3 different setups for 109, Ju87 and Ju88. Also in CoD i have for each type a different ini. In the beginning i had some problems too when i try to play CoD.
    Than i changed my saitekprofiles and the way i save them and now i can switch even in flight between the different setups, doesent matter if i switch the CoD ingame ini`s or the x52 setups.

here in some steps what i did:

1. first i set all up all the commandos ingame with "alt" or "Strg" + the key i wish.
    2. than i put this into the x52 profile to the buttons i wish to use.
    3. all other options as Modus 2, Modus 3, Pink + Modus 1, Pinki + Modus 2, etc. that are not used in the setup i set on no funktion, and i mean all that are not used.
    4 i dont save it the normal way, because this cause sometimes problems in the programming-tool when it try to save it. I hit the x and close the programming software and when the program ask me if i whant to save it, than i save it.

It helps realy when you have a clean programmed setup with all disabled that you dont use.

With this i have as an example for the Ju88 all commandos on the stick, using Modus 1, Modus 2, Modus 3, Pinki + Modu1 - 3, etc. so i can even use all the rotaries on the x52, even the smal scroll rad on the throttle.

hope this helps

regards

Little_D
    1./JG2_Little_D
    Staffelkapitän
    1./Jagdgeschwader 2 "Richthofen"

"Go for the leader, if you can. The path is the goal, the kill the result."
    "The one who has 12, leads. The one who has six, follows."

YouTube Channel: 1./JG2 Filmkanal

9. Likes Volunteer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Re: Saitek X52 joystick troubles

Great thread and equally great responses.

I've re-titled this thread and stickied it for easier future reference. A lot of players use the Saitek X52 system so it stands to reason this my be helpful to others as well.

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Try what i said about "opening the console" also. It makes a diffrence to me, ie, joystick behaves as it is supposed to.
    I tried this, it doesn't seem to recalibrate. So when the X52 decides to go wonky I dont see any option other than exiting everything, unplugging and plugging back in.

Trying to do this while the game is running sends my entire system into a tailspin so I end up doing a hard reset.
    Although I have to say, not using the software like I was has given immediate results - no more of the repeating keys. So at least until the calibration gets off I am able to actually get off the ground now.

If anyone has any tips on how to re-calibrate without exiting I would love to know about it - baffles me that the control software has no option do this.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    820.0 KB

I have had problems with the cable between the two sticks....not in correctly can make things wonky. I have heard/seen stories where people go in an hard wire because the plugs are cheap. Not sure if that is of any help.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Supporting Member 9./JG52 Mindle's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    911.26 MB

Switch cleaner sprayed into the sockets for the cable between throttle and joystick worked for me. Dirty contacts?

I also never use saitek software. Always directly map stick option in game. Never goes wrong. Rotary switches give me problems lately. Prob pots need a clean also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Windows 10 64-bit; Intel Core i5-4670K @ 3.4 GHz Processor; 16.0 GB RAM; NVIDIA GTX970; TM Warthog HOTAS; MFG Crosswinds; Track IR5

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

If you get these random off-center resets all the time, it's probably the cable. However, if it only occurs when a profile is active, you should check your command names for long strings. I had a similar problem once with my Falcon profile and thought it was the cable. But then I realized it only happened with that one profile. Turned out the Saitek software doesn't like names with more than (I think) 15 characters and responded by randomly resetting the stick. I set up the profile with short names and it worked again. I shit you not. It happened.

Veteran Combat pilot 3./JG51_Heiden's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

What version are the drivers and the SST software? It will tell you when you open the Profile Editor software on the main screen. I was having HORRIBLE trouble with my X52 Pro using the latest drivers from the site, so I found an older version of the drivers and reinstalled them, and I have not had any problem. My problem specifically was the "soft stuck" mode where pressing a button once caused the command to repeat multiple times. So, when you click the button for gunsight illumination, it would turn it on and off about 5 times in a single button press, uncommanded. Reverting to older drivers has fixed the problem so far.
    Oblt. Jochen Heiden
    3./Jagdgeschwader 51
    162 Confirmed Kills - "Ace In A Day" Club Member

HARDWARE:
    - i7 2600k @ 4.6GHz
    - 16gig DDR3-1600
    - Intel 128GB SSD
    - MSI GTX 660ti 2GB OC'd

Check out my Youtube Channel for great videos of aircraft destruction and Bf-109 training instruction!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCou...QRue1omZ-INlag

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Marmus View Post
    I have had problems with the cable between the two sticks....not in correctly can make things wonky. I have heard/seen stories where people go in an hard wire because the plugs are cheap. Not sure if that is of any help.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Mindle View Post
    Switch cleaner sprayed into the sockets for the cable between throttle and joystick worked for me. Dirty contacts?
    I doubt I would be capable of any of this!

Quote Originally Posted by macnihilist View Post
    If you get these random off-center resets all the time, it's probably the cable. However, if it only occurs when a profile is active, you should check your command names for long strings. I had a similar problem once with my Falcon profile and thought it was the cable. But then I realized it only happened with that one profile. Turned out the Saitek software doesn't like names with more than (I think) 15 characters and responded by randomly resetting the stick. I set up the profile with short names and it worked again. I shit you not. It happened.
    It happens whether or not there is a profile loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by 3./JG51_Heiden View Post
    What version are the drivers and the SST software? It will tell you when you open the Profile Editor software on the main screen. I was having HORRIBLE trouble with my X52 Pro using the latest drivers from the site, so I found an older version of the drivers and reinstalled them, and I have not had any problem. My problem specifically was the "soft stuck" mode where pressing a button once caused the command to repeat multiple times. So, when you click the button for gunsight illumination, it would turn it on and off about 5 times in a single button press, uncommanded. Reverting to older drivers has fixed the problem so far.
    Yep that sounds a lot like what I was experiencing although it only seems to happen in multiplayer.

I am using an older one, 6.6.6.9. Spent a lot of time fighting with this stick when I first got it a couple of years ago, has really been a tedious and annoying thing. Have probably tried every version of the software out there. If I had to do it over I would pass Saitek right up; shoddy support, buggy software and as I am now seeing - not very well made hardware. Meh.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    16.32 MB

Hardware is good taking in account the ratio product/price. But the software is outdated and unprepared for 64 bits.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    160.45 MB

My 2 cents regarding the x52.

You need to do a few complete circles each time you plug it in in order to self-calibrate. It shouldn't reset unless like stated above you have a faulty usb port or the cable. However a often cited fault is that the ps/2 cable (from throttle to stick) wears out and the connector starts falling out of the socket. I'd personally use a bit of bluetack to fasten it in place on both ends.

Also what caused me trouble to no end was a conflict with teamspeak I wasn't aware of: http://forum.teamspeak.com/showthrea...filer-Conflict

Since then I've gotten a MS FFB 2 as advised by Lewis and only use the throttle from the x52 (that said I still have to have the stick plugged in otherwise it doesn't recognize the profiles.) Much better experience and will only cost you £20-30...

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Thanks everyone for the tips, I am in much better shape now. Not using the profile has eliminated the repeating keys, and the console trick is helping me get level again when the stick goes loopy!

There are some upgrades in my future so I need to limp along for a bit but things are much better now than they were!

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Red face Re: Saitek X52 joystick troubles

Hi there. I am also experiencing problems with my x-52 pro. I have been using with CoD for a while without any problems. Since last week, the throttle is not working, or better said, is working when it wants, mostly not.

Laving said that, the exact same joystick, works perfectly with all other simulators (FSX, X-Plane, Il-2 BoS, DCS).

Any ideas please? Sorry if there is any reply already in the forum and I have missed it.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    951.63 MB

try to check you joystick with X52 programme... No with Cliffs of Dover

if it work well with X52 programme... it will work well with all of simulators... and Cliffs of Dover...

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I use an X52 on Win-7 (64) and I use the Saitek software and have never had problems.
    56sqn US@R - Diary of a hopeless Pilot Officer http://roblex56raf.livejournal.com/

Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) > AMD Athlon II X4 605e @ 2300MHz
    16Gb RAM > Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce 1050Ti

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    167.36 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Roblex View Post
    I use an X52 on Win-7 (64) and I use the Saitek software and have never had problems.
    Same here. X52Pro/+Saitek Rudder under Win 7 64 Bit, 46 programmed bottons/switches (MadCatz-Software) I've never had any troubles. Ok, that won't help the OP but I would not say the X52 is a bad stick per se. cheers, henry
    System: i7-6700K, MSI Nvidia 1070GTX, 16GB RAM, Gigabyte GA-Z170 K3, Win10 64Bit, TrackIR5, HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Sennheiser 350 Headset, LG 34' 21:9

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I found the solution to the problem, was quite easy. As described by ATAG_Lewis in the newbee's instructions, I disabled the "anthropomorphic control" in the settings, which apparently interferes with the joysticks' response. After that, everything runs smoothly as it should.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    262.95 MB

In my case Teamspeak cause truble with my X52....Two days could not figure it out :/.....My joystick pressed every key multiple times.
    Then i saw this thread http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.co...hlight=Hotkeys
    Wuhuu back in the air...

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I have the X52 pro and my problem is the drivers suck!! They mess with my whole system. One thing that bugs me the most, is that I have to unplug my X52 from my computer, or alot of times it won't even boot into windows if I don't. But I do like the stick and throttle set up though and does work fine for me in game. My only small problem with the stick itself, is that it's a bit loose for me, but I'll end up fixing that with maybe a new spring from the hardware store
    Sentey Eagle Plusgs GS-6020 Extreme Division Tower Case
    Asus Z97-A motherboard
    i5 4670k 3.4ghz OC to 4.6ghz CPU
    EVGA Ge Force 760 GTX GPU
    Corsair H100 sealed loop CPU water cooler
    Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz DDR3 CL10 DIMM
    Seagate Barracuda 1 TB HDD SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive
    Fractal Design Integra R2 750-Watt 80 PLUS Bronze Certified PSU
    Windows 7 64bit Premium
    logitech Exteme 3D Pro Joystick

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    477.16 MB

my saitek stick didn't like being connected to a usb-3.0 port with a charging funtion.With this funtion on I get randomly freezes of my pc and with that function turned off in the bios no problems at all of that kind.So the choice is easily made.

Verstuurd van mijn GT-I9001 met Tapatalk
    Asus ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming|Intel Core i7 8700K 4,4Ghz|NZXT Kraken x52 all-in-one liquid cooler|16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 3000MHZ | ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Super Gaming OC 8G|ASUS 27" Gaming Monitor ROG Swift PG278Q
    |Samsung M2 970 EVO Plus, 500 GB SSD |Antec High Current Pro 850WATT |VKB Gunfighter Mk.II with MCG Pro grip | Saitek X52 Pro Flight Throttle |VKB-Sim T-Rudder Pedals Mk.IV |BU0836A 12-Bit Joystick Controller|win10 64bit Home Edition|Opentrack-pointtracker/Facetracknoir EDTracker Pro wireless

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    8.93 MB

So would you recommend using the 32 bit drivers instead of the 64 bit?

My problem .... NEW computer, NEW install of everything. My X52 Pro worked, as far as I could tell, quite well on my OLD computer. With my new computer (see specs below) I can not even get the drivers to install without freezing up the whole computer and then requiring not just a reboot but a system restore. 1Lokos tried to help me with this link Saitek Problem With Windows 7 64 bit. I followed the instructions right down into the registry and as it indicated, but with the same results as described above. So no flying of any kind at the moment. Any thoughts or such would be appreciated.

Chief

I7-4790K 4.0 GHZ, 8 GIGS memory, Nvidia GTX 970 w/4 gigs memory, Windows 7 Proffessional
    SERVING THE ROF AND BOS COMMUNITY

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    477.16 MB

Well Chief, I just use the saitek software without any problem(now).The problems I had was a conflict of the mini-mouse on the x52-throttle with a setting in teamspeak and my second problem was, in my bios there was some sort of smart charging fuction for usb-3 devices.With that function turned on my pc had sometimes a hanging problem With teamspeak my pc stopped reacting, the only I could do was do a hard reset..With teamspeak take a look at the hotkeys tab.
    team.jpg

I use the 64bit version of saitek driver/software.
    Asus ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming|Intel Core i7 8700K 4,4Ghz|NZXT Kraken x52 all-in-one liquid cooler|16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 3000MHZ | ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Super Gaming OC 8G|ASUS 27" Gaming Monitor ROG Swift PG278Q
    |Samsung M2 970 EVO Plus, 500 GB SSD |Antec High Current Pro 850WATT |VKB Gunfighter Mk.II with MCG Pro grip | Saitek X52 Pro Flight Throttle |VKB-Sim T-Rudder Pedals Mk.IV |BU0836A 12-Bit Joystick Controller|win10 64bit Home Edition|Opentrack-pointtracker/Facetracknoir EDTracker Pro wireless

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

From https://www.facebook.com/SaitekProFlight

Windows 10 HOTAS beta drivers for X52, X52 Pro, X55, and X65F are now available for download. (Please keep in mind that these are in beta.)
    See instructions and download here: http://bit.ly/win10-saitek
    Direct link to drivers: http://bit.ly/beta-drivers
    Setup:
    CPU: i7 950 3.07 GHz RAM: Corsair Dominator 32 GB GPU: EVGA gtx 970
    Headset: Shiny Tracking: TrackiR5 with ProClip Joystick: Saitek x52 Pro Pedals: Saitek Combat Rudder

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Hardware is good taking in account the ratio product/price. But the software is outdated and unprepared for 64 bits.
    This really seems to be the problem - 64 bit operation. I think I know why - after experimenting with my x-55 on my trusty old win xp 32bit machine and microsoft fs9 I find that in that sim's config file the seperate parts of the stick all have seperate IDs - whereas running the same sim on my 64 bit win 8.1 gaming laptop sees the stick modules all given one same ID !!!!!. Now with the x-55 that is 2 input USB connectors and with my optional rudder module that makes 3 (of course a powered USB hub is essential anyway) So any sim trying to read axes and buttons is having one hell of a confusing time.
    Mad cats are just that and un-contactable (prolly un-concerned) and meanwhile with 64 bit win 8.1 I get- - FS9 - OK unless I use the x-55 stick, X-Plane 10 - mostly OK but sometimes iffy and COD - only 70% reliable with slow axis responses and missed or repeated button responses.
    I have tried re-programming in-game buttons and then making a profile for the stick to match (complete with "killing" any unwanted buttons) but it is only a tad better than just setting up the stick in-game.
    Very sad - I used to have a sidewinder with home-made rudder and throttle using the original pots but on extension leads: that was "seen" by the computer as only one thing and it worked for years. Then I had to buy this overly complex un-customer-supported thang! I may have to get a different stick and swallow the price I paid for this but , meanwhile, I will have to wait to use COD in its present form.
    My last attempt was a solo in training with the instructor having an electronic fit while I eventually nursed my Hurri back to an engine off, flapless one wheel landing. Actual Ops would be an impossibility!