Thread: What do I need to make 1946 the best it can be?

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

What do I need to make 1946 the best it can be?

Hey what all do I need to make 1946 top notch? I'm thinking higher res cockpit textures, higher res and enhanced landscape and any that give more realism in the aircraft pertaining to flight and damage models and engine realsim. I have version 4.12.2m is that the correct version for multiplayer through Hyperlobby? Can I play mutliplayer with graphic mods and be compatible?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Re: What do I need to make 1946 the best it can be?

4.1.2.2 is the last (TD) official patch and are various "flavor's" MOD packs: HSFX, Free Mod, DBW, IES1...
    On Hyperlobby you may find servers running 4.1.2.2 or some HSFX version, or even other "flavor".

There's no much activity in Hyperlobby by these days, notice that HL "in game" number is misleading because include dozens of empty servers.

I suggest you go there to get a better picture about:

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/forumdisplay.php?f=98
    http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/forumdisplay.php?f=201
    http://www.sas1946.com/

Last edited by 1lokos; Oct-30-2014 at 00:45.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

Actually the newest patch contain old textures ond stock original planes. I would recommend you to patch up to the top and install this
    http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.ph...c,37662.0.html

Then go down to the cockpit aerea and install better or improved pits

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

There's no much activity in Hyperlobby by these days, notice that HL "in game" number is misleading because include dozens of empty servers.
    This is true on one side. Anyway if the activity is not the same it was years ago, there are some servers with several tenths of players inside.
    The number of players in HL is misleading also because a lot of the players are connecting directly with the IP and do not show on Hyperlobby. In our server about 40% connect via direct IP: I do not know why, but this is an use which has never faded and has sure a negative effect on attendance.
    At the moment IL2 1946 is still the most flown online sim (now by a small margin). I hardly have seen the number of players playing online BOS or CLOD exceeding the number of players active online on IL2 1946.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

We got 11 000 active members over at www.1946sas.com , not sleeping most of them , nor bots. I think IL2 today mainly are used in offline campaigns. In IL2 the AI is better after TD tweaked them.
    In fact they are much better to fly against than online flyers, they conduct in a squadron/ wing loyal fashion and they are a handful to fight against.
    You see no suicidal attacks and other stuff.
    There are many good campaigns. also dynamic ones that occupy your time.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by FS~Fenice_1965 View Post
    This is true on one side. Anyway if the activity is not the same it was years ago, there are some servers with several tenths of players inside.
    The number of players in HL is misleading also because a lot of the players are connecting directly with the IP and do not show on Hyperlobby. In our server about 40% connect via direct IP: I do not know why, but this is an use which has never faded and has sure a negative effect on attendance.
    At the moment IL2 1946 is still the most flown online sim (now by a small margin). I hardly have seen the number of players playing online BOS or CLOD exceeding the number of players active online on IL2 1946.
    Check on a Sunday evening, around 2000GMT, that'll be a proper test. It would be interesting.

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I check quite regularly and my impression is that IL2 1946 is regularly more played than every other simulation. On the week end evenings Skies of Valor alone is constantly between 35 and 50 players. Battlefield is on similar numbers.
    I repeat: the HL numbers do not reflect the real attendance of the server.
    What is starting to fade are full real servers. Aces over Europe has great attendance but is different because it seems that players come on waves; sometimes is empty and sometimes is full; probably the meetings are more organized, while servers with easier settings rely on casual gamers and so have a lower but more regular attendance.
    Obviously single 1946 servers do not make the numbers of ATAG, but the community is still larger imho. No to talk of BOS which is desert in comparison.
    The game is still attractive for many because has uncomparable variety, is cheap, can be played with outdated computers.
    Also there's the "attraction force" of the community itself. People used to play on a particular server find there their friends and the people they have been used to see every night for many years. If the community doesn't switch to another sim they will not change easily simulation, even if the new simulation is better.
    I think that one of the reasons why new sims aren't taking off is the fact that many of the IL2 strongholds haven't changed the reference simulation.
    Just my 2 cents

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    509.15 MB

For offline use; I recommend this.

http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.ph...c,40015.0.html

Be prepared for a LENGHTY install process (Think days- not hours).

Everything is explained in DETAIL and is modular. I think this represent the most realized and complete version of offline 1946 to date.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

Osprey refuter one day a week, and I understand why he does it. It must be very much fun flying seriously and with that many people, I envy them that.
    In a ordinary day primetime Europe there are between 30 to 80 people playing online COD, same goes for BOS and ROF.
    My impression , but I might be wrong I am not checking Hyperlobby that much and often but when I do I see over 100 players on a week day, and I see on the most interesting part there is activity in the US time zones as well.
    There are no need for competitive attitudes, every simmer is a potential customer for all these games.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    16.32 MB

For what is worth:

IL2 1946 http://steamcharts.com/app/15320

Cliffs of Dover http://steamcharts.com/app/63950

Battle of Stalingrad http://steamcharts.com/app/307960

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

^ but I have '46 on CD. I don't need steam to connect. Does that skew the numbers any? (I'm thinking about reinstalling it).
    Vadr
    Jagdgeschwader 2 "Richthofen"

"Most pilots expect their airplanes to perform. The Me 109 expects its pilot to perform." -- A. Galland

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Also, while we're on the subject: can anyone point me to a resource as to how to get '46 running on triple monitors with a Radeon card? Vielen danke.
    Vadr

"Most pilots expect their airplanes to perform. The Me 109 expects its pilot to perform." -- A. Galland

Supporting Member
    Somewhere in the Land of Southern Bankers!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

If you upgrade to 4.12.2m triple screen support is built in and should just work regardless of your card. You just have to edit your conf.ini file. Here a snippet of mine with the relevant items.

[window]
    width=5926
    height=1080
    ColourBits=32
    DepthBits=24
    StencilBits=8
    ChangeScreenRes=1
    FullScreen=1
    DrawIfNotFocused=0
    EnableResize=0
    EnableClose=1
    SaveAspect=0
    Use3Renders=0
    WideScreenFoV=1
    UIColor=0
    UIDetail=0
    UIBackground=en

[GLPROVIDER]
    GL=dx8wrap.dll

Note that I've placed in bold the most important ones to check. Just put your desktop resolution in for width and height, check the other items and you should be good to go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Thanks very much!
    Vadr

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

No worries sir....hope it helped.

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Lolsav View Post
    For what is worth:

IL2 1946 http://steamcharts.com/app/15320

Cliffs of Dover http://steamcharts.com/app/63950

Battle of Stalingrad http://steamcharts.com/app/307960
    Really interesting; However, doesn't reflect actual players' base, since with every probability the huge maiority of IL2 1946 and also BOS players hasn't bought the game with Steam.
    What is still missing is a sim able to convey the greatest group of players under his flag, like it was with IL2 1946 some years ago.
    Competition between different sims is good but, on the other side, can lead to excessive fragmentation in multiplayer area.
    Just my 2 cents.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by FS~Fenice_1965 View Post
    Really interesting; However, doesn't reflect actual players' base, since with every probability the huge maiority of IL2 1946 and also BOS players hasn't bought the game with Steam.
    What is still missing is a sim able to convey the greatest group of players under his flag, like it was with IL2 1946 some years ago.
    Competition between different sims is good but, on the other side, can lead to excessive fragmentation in multiplayer area.
    Just my 2 cents.
    Maybe...but I personally like choice.

That said, my money is on DCS World to grab the torch....assuming Team Fusion doesn't go mod crazy.