Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: By the Beard of Zeus!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Re: By the Beard of Zeus!

Guys... I keep reading posts about peoples engines over heating, oil temps being wrong and such like. I've had no such problem now this is down to two reasons; 1). I'm like a totally amazing pilot even though I've only clocked 5 hours or 2). I'm playing some retarded arcade version.

I've seen the realism option in the game options, just wondered what should I change them to to match your servers settings?
    My other car is a Spitfire

ALIENWARE M18X
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2670QM CPU @2.20GHz 2.20GHZ
    8.00 GB RAM 64-bit
    2x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M
    Saitek X52

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.75 MB

Yes it is a arcade version

and Yes change them to the Server standard

that way you can become just as frustrated as the rest of us

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Is there a topic on the forums for this setup? I can't seem to find anything relating to it. Last question I promise!

ALIENWARE M18X
    8.00 GB RAM 64-bit
    Saitek X52

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Cancel that found the option for realistic....duh.

ALIENWARE M18X
    8.00 GB RAM 64-bit
    Saitek X52

Dutch

Mate, get on the server now. We're all there!

Heaven, I've already served my time in Hell!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    12.34 MB

Mr. Burgundy,

Great flying with you tonight :hpyclp:

Can't wait to see you in the server again!!!

~S~

~Deacon
    Celer, Silens, Mortalis

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    457.02 MB

Hi Mr. Burgandy,

Lovin the avatar :Grin:

"The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself". - Archibald Macleish

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I had a blast last night before the X52 took a dive, even though the only person I saw was some 109 who took me out. I fixed the flight stick this morning with some super glue! WINZ!

I look forward to joining you again but I have alot to learn still!

ALIENWARE M18X
    8.00 GB RAM 64-bit
    Saitek X52

Dutch

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Burgundy View Post
    I've seen the realism option in the game options, just wondered what should I change them to to match your servers settings?
    Heh! Sorry we were a bit busy last night Burgundy! We'll have to pick a quieter time for a more in depth tutorial. :Grin:

The server is 'full real', so go to the 'realism' settings and click all of them on except 'cannot switch positions'. This will give you the same conditions as online play.

If you're around at about 8pm UK time tonight, I'll jump on for a tuition session if you like. Let me know! Cheers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Count me in! I've been having a mare with the realism settings but I've just about mastered taking off with the Spitfire IIa. Mainly due to some usefull videos on YouTube

I'm just having afew problems in the air, like cut outs, keeping it steady (it keeps pulling to the left or right) etc new player stuff really.

It sounded great last night on TS so I'm really looking forward to joining the fray!

:happy

ALIENWARE M18X
    8.00 GB RAM 64-bit
    Saitek X52

Dutch

Excellent! See you later then. :happy

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Sorry to have missed it last night Guess you've sorted your prop pitch thing out depending on your speed? I tend to whack it right up the scale (fine?) when taking off and landing, pull it back to coarse (about 60% up the scale) when cruising - keeping revs about 2,400-2,500rpm - that's in a Hurrican Rotol, but I use similar in the Spittie, though it tends to bounce a bit more if I get it wrong - seems less forgiving than a Rotol. Mind you - the Rotol is less forgiving when I try and turn at high speed

Having only been flying a couple of months myself, I've found the gauges are useful, but not necessary to have fun, at the start. The really great thing I've found out with this game/sim is that the depth is there when and when you decide you're ready for it. That's usually when you've got Mr X or Little_D on your arse :pouting:

On a good day you can still hear the rumble of the Merlin flying overhead.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

+1 to Kopperdrake's post.

In Realism settings be sure to uncheck Anthromorphic Controls. It's a neat concept that we've found to be less perfect in actual function, so the ATAG Server has disabled it -- as have other Full Real servers.

The need to adjust trim in the British fighters is near-constant, especially in the Spit. I have assigned the rudder and elevator trims to two axis on my CH Quadrant for smoothness and control. Just be sure your trim controls are handy since they're used so frequently.

In an earlier post Urizen rightly corrected me on temperatures (oil & water) needed before take off. After literally hundreds of take offs in this sim, frequently under pressure of strafing 109's/110's or carpet bombing AI bombers from on high, we quickly learn to do the expedient things in order to reduce warm up times and take off quickly. Some of these develop into bad habits which we pass on to newcomers, when it's far better to learn correct procedures first. ( We can always show you what NOT to do later LOL).

Looking forward to flying with you soon!

Snapper

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Kopperdrake - I've just been wacking the pitch on full for take off and generally leaving it alone, I havent done much cruising to be fair...I keep getting into spins! haha!

Snapper - Can I ask which trim adjusts the 'level' of the aircraft? I have the nose up/nose down bound to a switch on my stick so thats ok but I find myself veering left or right and requiring constand correcting.

At the momment I'm following the rookie procedures of waiting for Oil temp to be 30c and water 70c before taking off.

Looking forward to flying with you all later!

MB

ALIENWARE M18X
    8.00 GB RAM 64-bit
    Saitek X52

Dutch

Thinking about it, Kopperdrake has a point here, in that I fly using cockpit instruments only, i.e. no information in terms of % this and % that, just the cockpit instrument readings.

But using the cockpit instruments is just as easy in my opinion, and much more realistic, but if you'd prefer to use percentages, let me know and I'll set up the necessary info boxes for tonight.

The 'veering off' is due to a combination of power setting and rudder trim. It's pretty nigh impossible to fly a Spit totally 'hands off', but it shouldn't be too troublesome. Some right rudder trim is needed at all times.

I wasn't aware of the anthrapowhotsit thingy being off, so thx Snapper! :Grin:

P.S. You might want to try reducing the sensitivity in the 'controls' options. At 100% I find them far too sensitive, particularly the rudder. Try reducing to 50% on aileron, elevator and rudder. This should reduce the 'twitchiness'.
    Last edited by Dutch; Apr-06-2012 at 12:28.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

%'s would just confuse things, I like keeping an eye on the instruments! :shocked:

ALIENWARE M18X
    8.00 GB RAM 64-bit
    Saitek X52

Dutch

Heh! Cool, but see edit above re sensitivity! :happy

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Can I ask what trade you were in?
    I finished up as a Telecommunications Controller with a sleepy hollow tour of Boscombe, but my heart will always be with TCW (now 90SU). I knew loads of AATCs who went on to become SNCO through a fast track method in just a few years - don't know if they still run that.

As for the tactical side of air traffic - the only true tactical side is TACATC and that's only a handful of people (coincidentally part of TCW for some reason!) and the majority, if not all, were officers. It's also not a job you can just jump into, you need a lot of experience and you need to do the Para course too.

Good luck in whichever route you take.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Herr-B View Post
    I finished up as a Telecommunications Controller with a sleepy hollow tour of Boscombe, but my heart will always be with TCW (now 90SU). I knew loads of AATCs who went on to become SNCO through a fast track method in just a few years - don't know if they still run that.

As for the tactical side of air traffic - the only true tactical side is TACATC and that's only a handful of people (coincidentally part of TCW for some reason!) and the majority, if not all, were officers. It's also not a job you can just jump into, you need a lot of experience and you need to do the Para course too.

Good luck in whichever route you take.
    That was my plan before the broadsided me with some rediculous apptitude test, I'm currently a senior engineer at one of the biggest ground works company in the UK and currently runing seven different projects. (I don't mean to sound big headed I'm just trying to get across the stupidity of the situation). Now according to my results in their apptitude tests I'm 'Not' able to apply for the role I wanted but also apparently I'm also not able to apply for 'FireFighter' (Not that I want to) despite being a volunteer fire fighter for two years when I was twenty.

The whole process was a joke if I'm honest and I have become abit disillusioned by it, I'm taking the weekend to cool off then think about my options.

TACATC is what I'm going for I'm aware it will take time and its a long shot as it is, but I can be a peresistant bugger! I go skydiving once or twice a month so parachute training will be fun :happy

ALIENWARE M18X
    8.00 GB RAM 64-bit
    Saitek X52

Dutch

I'm taking the weekend to cool off then think about my options.
    For what it's worth, I went for an interview for the RAF at 17yrs old.
    Because of the process and the attitude of the interviewer, I gave up after 'thinking about my options' and took a civvy career path.

Biggest mistake/regret of my life mate. Don't give up, and don't let the b*stards grind you down. Who knows, maybe they want people who exibit strength of character and determination on more than a few occasions!

Good luck anyway. :happy

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I did an AFF course just beforeI left, can't afford to jump in civvy street though.

Keep trying for what you want. I think for a RAF firefighter the requirements are that you must play volleyball daily and havea perma-tan.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Dutch View Post
    For what it's worth, I went for an interview for the RAF at 17yrs old.
    Because of the process and the attitude of the interviewer, I gave up after 'thinking about my options' and took a civvy career path.

Biggest mistake/regret of my life mate. Don't give up, and don't let the b*stards grind you down. Who knows, maybe they want people who exibit strength of character and determination on more than a few occasions!

Good luck anyway. :happy
    Cheers for the pep talk

After thinking about it I've decided to have another crack at the test in six months, I figure my mark is definatly going to improve so more doors should be open to me.

It also means I get to fly on here for another six months!

Tally bally ho!

EDIT: Also I've down loaded FreeTrack and Track No IR and nother wont install properly. I'm beginning to think I'm going to have to fork out for a TrackIR Finding it hard to keep track of things with a analog stick on my X52 .
    Last edited by Mr_Burgundy; Apr-08-2012 at 07:49.

ALIENWARE M18X
    8.00 GB RAM 64-bit
    Saitek X52

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.75 MB

I'd fork out for the TrackIR !

actually I did :pouting:

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Hey guys! Struggling to get online at the moment due to working all over the place and can't set my flight stick up in a travelodge properly. That and the Internet is shocking! Hope to get only soon tho!

ALIENWARE M18X
    8.00 GB RAM 64-bit
    Saitek X52

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    457.02 MB

Hi Burgandy - I know the feeling m8!

At least you don't have a new patch to look for! Next week be sure! :hiding:

"The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself". - Archibald Macleish

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12