Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Men Who Stare at Pixels

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    951.48 MB

Re: The Men Who Stare at Pixels

My Bitdefender software said there was malware in the zip file. I know some of these security packs are sometimes overly protective. Has anyone downloaded this zip file and then had a problem with malware?

If not, I want to try it.

Thanks,

badfinger

Quote Originally Posted by DUI View Post
    Hi fellow pilots,

Did you ever wonder if you really can see contacts in TFCliffs worse than other pilots? Here is a small single player mission that might help you to find out.
    Of course, besides from supporting with monitor calibration (brightness, contrast, gamma) the mission also helps to quickly check if/how SweetFX and other software-based adjustments influence the contact visibility.

Instructions:
    1. Download this zip-archive,
    2. extract the three files to your missions-directory in "...\Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover - MOD\missions\Single",
    3. start up TFCliffs and choose in "Single Player/Single Mission" the mission "Contact Spotting".
    4. Directly after you have spawned in the plane (109) pause the game (default: "p") and
    5. choose the pre-defined 30° zoom-view (default: "Delete").
    6. Now count the contacts that you somehow can see in the area left to your plane's gunsight - as tiny and bright the pixel may be.

In total there are up to 16 contacts (Spitfires) that are positioned in 1 km steps from a distance of 1 km to 16 km.

On my screen I can see 14 of the 16 contacts somehow (see attached image):

In a real flight situation I probably "only" would have some realistic chance to see 11 contacts (meaning contacts up to a distance of 11 km against this bright-blue sky).

So, someone more/less?
    Win 10 64 bit, 2T Hard Drive, 1T SSD, 500GB SSD, Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming MB,
    Intel i9 9900 Coffee Lake 31ghz CPU, EVGA 2070 Super GPU, 32gb DDR4 Ram,
    Track IR5, 32” Gigabyte Curved Monitor 165hz, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Voice Attack, Reverb G2

League City, TX

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Badfinger, I recently downloaded and opened the mission file with no bad effect--computer is still fine. I am using Microsoft Security Essentials and scanned with any positive results.

But to the topic at hand.

I have tested this a bit and find that any sort of AA reduces the ability to see the most distant contacts. I tested DSR (nVidia) in that past, was pleased, but returned to test it more thoroughly. Its big advantage for me is that it greatly reduces all shimmering artifacts and it has a smoothing feature which applies AA more effectively than anything else I've seen. Unfortunately, it renders the most distant contacts nearly invisible and adds a twinkling effect to the more distant contacts.

My best results are simply running at 1080 with no AA.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

I can't remember this thread..I must have been away or something...missed the radar...but what a great thread and OP by DUI....Excellent DUI..~S~
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    1.618 - You know this number?
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle
    ATAG_Lewis Youtube Channel

4. Likes DUI liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    43.95 MB

I have a 50 inch 1080p tv set at 1360x768 res. I can't see any of the planes.

Last edited by TWC_Pilotlight; Jul-19-2015 at 18:55. Reason: Edit: NM. Got it. I see 10 or 11 depending on how hard I stare.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    376.42 MB

Are you in the air when you spawn in pilotlight ?
    It takes an airplane to bring out the worst in a pilot.
    ((dB)) youTube Channel

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    2.09 MB

Quote Originally Posted by hnbdgr View Post
    I think people need to be aware that if that they ought to use the same rcu file as the server uses if they want to check this appropriately. Otherwise if you're checking with default or customized settings you will see not enough dots or all of them which might be unrealistic. Does someone have the values for the server RCU?

EDIT: not URL, RCU. words hard they are
    What/where is the RCU file ? and what do you modify it to ?

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    81.55 MB

Shamrock, have a look at the second post in this link http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.co...964#post151964

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

i have a 1080p ips 27' monitor
    in the test i can see 12 contacts...

i have a gtx970 and i'm thinking to go g-sync and get a 2k monitor
    looking at this right now...
    144hz g-syinc 2k ips monitor
    http://www.amazon.com/Acer-XB270HU-b...s=Acer+XB270HU

what i'm wondering...
    will i be able to spot smaller dots with a higher resolution monitor???
    any experience/suggestion in this regard???

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    67.77 MB

Just a quick post indicating the difference of bigger monitors/screens vs smaller ones:

1: GTX960 with 40 inch tv monitor= 5 clearly visible planes plus 9 very clearly visible dots.Inspecting a bit closer another 2 dots visible.
    2: GTX960 with 23 inch pc monitor= 5 clearly visible planes only.1 dot when inspecting closer.All other distant contacts (10) not visible in any case.
    3: GTX980 with 24 Inch pc monitor= 5clearly visible planes plus 2-3 dots when inspecting closer.All other distant contacts (8) not visible in any case.

The above experiment conducted with NVIDIA DSR engaged and ClOD resolution setting @2880x1620 in all 3 occasions.
    Settings in NVIDIA control panel similar in each case.

It seems that the big difference,especially in very high resolution settings (over 1920x1080) comes with bigger screens,not absolutely with stronger GPU's.Best combination would definitely be a powerful GPU (to nicely handle ultra high resolution settings and everything associated) with a big monitor (to aid in pixel aka contact spotting).

Reducing ClOD resolution settings back to its native 1920x1080, both GTX960 and GTX980 GPU's (case #2 & 3 from above) showed 5 clearly visible planes plus 5 clearly visible dots and another 2-3 more distant contacts when examined more closely and carefully.Reverting back to 2880x1620 and almost all contacts except the 5 closer planes were gone once more.The guy with the bigger screen maintained the same visual contacts no matter what his resolution setting was.

Cheers,
    Nick.
    CPU:Intel i7 4770K@4.6GHz,CPU Cooling:Thermalright SilverArrow IB-E Extreme,GPU:Gigabyte GTX980 XTREME 4GD@1342MhZ,RAM: 2X4GB G.Skill F3-2400C10D, 2X120Gb Hyper-X 3K Kingston SSD in Raid mode,1 Samsung SSD 850PRO 256GB & 1 Samsung SSD 850PRO 512GB,Motherboard:Gigabyte Z87X-OC,Case:Aerocool X-Predator Evil Black edition.Joystick:Microsoft SideWinder ForceFeedback2.

11. Likes farley, ATAG_Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by fly4ever View Post
    Just a quick post indicating the difference of bigger monitors/screens vs smaller ones:

1: GTX960 with 40 inch tv monitor= 5 clearly visible planes plus 9 very clearly visible dots.Inspecting a bit closer another 2 dots visible.
    2: GTX960 with 23 inch pc monitor= 5 clearly visible planes only.1 dot when inspecting closer.All other distant contacts (10) not visible in any case.
    3: GTX980 with 24 Inch pc monitor= 5clearly visible planes plus 2-3 dots when inspecting closer.All other distant contacts (8) not visible in any case.

The above experiment conducted with NVIDIA DSR engaged and ClOD resolution setting @2880x1620 in all 3 occasions.
    Settings in NVIDIA control panel similar in each case.

It seems that the big difference,especially in very high resolution settings (over 1920x1080) comes with bigger screens,not absolutely with stronger GPU's.Best combination would definitely be a powerful GPU (to nicely handle ultra high resolution settings and everything associated) with a big monitor (to aid in pixel aka contact spotting).

Reducing ClOD resolution settings back to its native 1920x1080, both GTX960 and GTX980 GPU's (case #2 & 3 from above) showed 5 clearly visible planes plus 5 clearly visible dots and another 2-3 more distant contacts when examined more closely and carefully.Reverting back to 2880x1620 and almost all contacts except the 5 closer planes were gone once more.The guy with the bigger screen maintained the same visual contacts no matter what his resolution setting was.

Cheers,
    Nick.
    Ty 4 the update!
    Cool info!!

13. Likes fly4ever liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

I tried this yesterday and couldn't see a bean....It took me an hour to figure out that my aircraft was airborne and should have been on the airstrip...Only when I saw the icons of the Spits below me did I figure so started the mission again and did this..

dB had the same issue...

Before starting the mission go into 'Custom'..then 'Realism Options'....and check All the 'Visual aides' and check 'Mission Take-Off and Landing'...

DUI.....Can you please add this to your initial post...I think its important to save them a lot of time if their mission is not setup like this when they spawn...

I'll PM you on this too....
    Last edited by ATAG_Lewis; Mar-19-2016 at 12:50.
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle

15. Likes ATAG_((dB)) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Thanks Lewis! This helpful information is added to the original post now!

17. Likes ATAG_((dB)) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Thanks DUI...~S~

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.36 MB

This is a very useful thread. I could see 12 of them, and now 14, by bumping the sharping up a bit, anything over 80% starts looking bad elsewhere in the game though not sure if I can do any better with 1080p 27" monitor and GTX 660 Ti

I'd hazard a guess though a 40" 4K monitor rolled back to 1080 for the game might help, if not possibly the smaller pixels of the 4K screen might make the gauges and stuff smother looking.

One of these days I'm going to drag the case ot the 55" 4k TV to each other and look.

Thanks for posting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Okey dokey...

Having messed about with A TV and reverted back to my monitor i thought I'd share this in regard to (some if not all?!) Asus screens.

Asus have a setting in the screen settings called "vividpixel"
    I guess it's sharpness.... but Asus decided to make it sharpness(tm) and give is a stupid name.

Anyway...

I'm now running (after much messing about) with completely standard settings in the standard profile.

If I set vividpixel to 100% the contacts on the contact spotting mission are sharper. I don't think massively.... but.... they are definately a bit sharper.

If I come out of game and open up say Excel it looks horrid with a sort of faint line around each box... set vivid pixel to 0 and it looks nice again.

The standard setting is 25 by the way.

0% looks good for text baseed applications

100% seems to give the plane contacts that extra little "POP"

Can't see a way to switch easliy beteen these two settings.... but figured I' share none the less.

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

21. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    177.83 MB

I've been struggling with spotting so thought I'd do this test. Can see 11 contacts so clearly its me, just need to practice!
    34" ASUS ROG 1440p. i7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz. Thermaltake 360mm AIO. ASUS Maximus Hero VII, 16gb DDR3, ASUS Strix 980Ti. TM WH, WH Throttle, TM THRP Pedals. TrackIR 5 Pro. Oculus Rift.

23. Likes ATAG_Snapper, ATAG_Nudge liked this post
    Manual Creation Group 343KKT_Kintaro's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    31.50 MB

Quote Originally Posted by DUI View Post
    Hi fellow pilots,

Did you ever wonder if you really can see contacts in TFCliffs worse than other pilots? Here is a small single player mission that might help you to find out.
    Of course, besides from supporting with monitor calibration (e. g. brightness, contrast, gamma, sharpness) the mission also helps to quickly check if/how SweetFX and other software-based adjustments influence the contact visibility.

Instructions:
    1. Download this zip-archive,
    2. extract the three files to your missions-directory in "...\Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover - MOD\missions\Single",
    3. start up TFCliffs and choose in "Single Player/Single Mission" the mission "Contact Spotting" *.
    4. Directly after you have spawned in the plane (109) pause the game (default: "p") and
    5. choose the pre-defined 30° zoom-view (default: "Delete").
    6. Now count the contacts that you somehow can see in the area left to your plane's gunsight - as tiny and bright the pixels may be.

In total there are up to 16 contacts (Spitfires) that are positioned in 1 km steps from a distance of 1 km to 16 km.

On my screen I somehow can see 14 of the 16 contacts (see attached image):

In a real flight situation I probably "only" would have some realistic chance to see 11 contacts (meaning contacts up to a distance of 11 km against this bright-blue sky).

So, someone more/less?

* Note - thanks to ATAG_Lewis: The 109 that you spawn in should be standing on the ground. If you spawn in an already airborne plane you have to adapt your "realism settings":
    Before starting the mission go into 'Custom'..then 'Realism Options'....and check All the 'Visual aides' and check 'Mission Take-Off and Landing'...

Hi DUI. Please note the following thread in the official IL-2 forums: https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic...tting-mission/

As you can see BOO is asking for a working link for this mission of yours, "Contact Spotting". I tried myself the link you gave back in 2014 and, indeed, the original link is not working ( http://jagdgeschwader4.de/media/kune...t-spotting.zip ). Would you kindly update the link (or produce a new link) so that the the mission is again available? Thank you in advance!

25. Likes BOO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    319.97 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 343KKT_Kintaro View Post
    Hi DUI. Please note the following thread in the official IL-2 forums: https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic...tting-mission/

As you can see BOO is asking for a working link for this mission of yours, "Contact Spotting". I tried myself the link you gave back in 2014 and, indeed, the original link is not working ( http://jagdgeschwader4.de/media/kune...t-spotting.zip ). Would you kindly update the link (or produce a new link) so that the the mission is again available? Thank you in advance!
    Hi Kintaro,

there's an 'official' recent version by Team Fusion based on the work of DUI here: Team Fusion Simulations - Resources - Contact Spotting.

27. Likes 343KKT_Kintaro, Dauntless, BOO liked this post
    Manual Creation Group 343KKT_Kintaro's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    31.50 MB

That's great Artist! Thank you mate.

29. Likes Artist liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    465.46 MB

There is another way to test contact spotting that I recently discovered, it is not as quick and easy as the 2 calibration missions we have but it is more accurate I believe. It entails going to the TWC Practice Server and flying around for a 5 to 10 minute time until a contact is spotted. That's it…. Done.

For those of you that want more details read on. The Practice Server has Icons turned on, so you will have to have them turned ON in your game as well. The icons can go out a long way on this server I am guessing 25 km, but only if you can see them, in other words I could not see the Icon Label until I could see the dot. Presently my system gives me contacts beginning at 18km and in and this is at the most open view setting. Granted the dot at 18km is very small and would not have been seen without the label but it is a reference. This is the second PC I have tested, the first was showing icons out to 22km. The interesting thing is that the Icon labels on both PC’s did not pop into view at these distances until I could see the tiny dot. I will be interested to hear from others about this icon detection behavior for them as I am not 100% sure I have it right.

The contacts are AI generated random missions, thous the need to spend some time flying. Use what ever contract spotting tools you have such as their Radar Map, watching and listening for the announcer calling out contacts, etc. Once you have a contact you can try to fly away from it while looking at the dot and the distance label.

For those of you that wonder why seeing a tiny dot at 18 km vs say 14 km is important it is because that same dot at 10km is bigger and brighter and will be seen easier IMO.

I7 12700K @ 4.8Ghz|RTX 3080Ti|32GB DDR4|1TB NvMe l LG OLED 48”TV|1440P @120Hz|VKB STECS l VKB Gunfighter III/100mm extension l MFG V3 Pedals l Falcon Gear Quadrant l TIR 5 l Cloud X Headphone|Widows 11, C:\Program Files (x86)Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz|20Mbs dl, 2Mbs ul

5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Im content with noticing anything out to 8km to be honest. I can dot spot out to perhaps 10 or 12 km with a fair wind.

8km and a little care in everything else like energy and alt is good enough for me to decide if descretion is the better part of valour. It usually is. Im a lover not a fighter.
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

" Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"

Supporting Member 9./JG52_J-HAT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    266.37 MB

Quote Originally Posted by BOO View Post
    Im content with noticing anything out to 8km to be honest. I can dot spot out to perhaps 10 or 12 km with a fair wind.

8km and a little care in everything else like energy and alt is good enough for me to decide if descretion is the better part of valour. It usually is. Im a lover not a fighter.
    Type mp_dotrange in the console (shift tab) and check your visibility range for the dots, then type it again followed by 20 and see if you can see more. This affects visibility offline too.
    i7 13700KF @5.3 Ghz | RTX 4090 526.86 1440p | 32 Gb RAM 6000 | Win10 64 bit | TrackIR 5 | VKB Gunfighter III | MFG Crosswind V2 | Warthog Throttle | Reverb G2 100% SteamVR SS

33. Likes BOO liked this post
    5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Quote Originally Posted by 9./JG52_J-HAT View Post
    Type mp_dotrange in the console (shift tab) and check your visibility range for the dots, then type it again followed by 20 and see if you can see more. This affects visibility offline too.
    theres a series of things to type in per the instuctions in thre birefing - following those I can see 14 with a strain, 12 with a squint and 10 with a glance. My question now is why do I see more with this console witchcraft? Will I see more if I do that in a MP server? Can I do that in a MP server? Was the milkman really my dad? Lots of questions.
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

" Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    465.46 MB

Judging from your photo on the left, I'd say the Milkman was not your dad. Now back to contact spotting. The MP Dot Range settings that you enter only effects Single player, the max dot range on servers in Multiplayer is set at the server level. An example of this is that when I use the Contract Spotting Single Mission at home I can only see all 16 contracts using the higher magnification view settings, I have my Dot Range set to the max which I am told is 25. On some servers I can not see contracts at that distance, an example for me is the VCAF server, I have a had time seeing contacts on that server.

I7 12700K @ 4.8Ghz|RTX 3080Ti|32GB DDR4|1TB NvMe l LG OLED 48”TV|1440P @120Hz|VKB STECS l VKB Gunfighter III/100mm extension l MFG V3 Pedals l Falcon Gear Quadrant l TIR 5 l Cloud X Headphone|Widows 11, C:\Program Files (x86)Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz|20Mbs dl, 2Mbs ul

36. Likes BOO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    319.97 MB

theres a series of things to type in per the instuctions in thre birefing - following those I can see 14 with a strain, 12 with a squint and 10 with a glance. My question now is why do I see more with this console witchcraft? Will I see more if I do that in a MP server? Can I do that in a MP server? Was the milkman really my dad? Lots of questions.
    As Little Bill said.

But also see Notes on IL2 Strumovik Cliffs of Dover, the chapter about the Console and the Server Administrator's Manual linked therein.

38. Likes BOO liked this post
    Supporting Member 9./JG52_J-HAT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    266.37 MB

The other parameters are for the labels. If you type how I wrote you will be able to check and change the range for the dots. The rest is only relevant if you use labels and want to customize them.
    MP is server side only, as already stated.
    i7 13700KF @5.3 Ghz | RTX 4090 526.86 1440p | 32 Gb RAM 6000 | Win10 64 bit | TrackIR 5 | VKB Gunfighter III | MFG Crosswind V2 | Warthog Throttle | Reverb G2 100% SteamVR SS

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123