Thread: The Men Who Stare at Pixels

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

The Men Who Stare at Pixels

Hi fellow pilots,

Did you ever wonder if you really can see contacts in TFCliffs worse than other pilots? Here is a small single player mission that might help you to find out.
    Of course, besides from supporting with monitor calibration (e. g. brightness, contrast, gamma, sharpness) the mission also helps to quickly check if/how SweetFX and other software-based adjustments influence the contact visibility.

Instructions:
    1. Download this zip-archive,
    2. extract the three files to your missions-directory in "...\Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover - MOD\missions\Single",
    3. start up TFCliffs and choose in "Single Player/Single Mission" the mission "Contact Spotting" *.
    4. Directly after you have spawned in the plane (109) pause the game (default: "p") and
    5. choose the pre-defined 30° zoom-view (default: "Delete").
    6. Now count the contacts that you somehow can see in the area left to your plane's gunsight - as tiny and bright the pixels may be.

In total there are up to 16 contacts (Spitfires) that are positioned in 1 km steps from a distance of 1 km to 16 km.

On my screen I somehow can see 14 of the 16 contacts (see attached image):

In a real flight situation I probably "only" would have some realistic chance to see 11 contacts (meaning contacts up to a distance of 11 km against this bright-blue sky).

So, someone more/less?

* Note - thanks to ATAG_Lewis: The 109 that you spawn in should be standing on the ground. If you spawn in an already airborne plane you have to adapt your "realism settings":
    Before starting the mission go into 'Custom'..then 'Realism Options'....and check All the 'Visual aides' and check 'Mission Take-Off and Landing'...
    Last edited by DUI; Jan-22-2017 at 12:35.