Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting started: 3D modeling with Blender

The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

Getting started: 3D modeling with Blender

I have got more than a couple PM's as of late so I figured I would post some tips and hints about starting 3D modeling with Blender. I use "cycles render" instead of the default "blender render" engine. I find it easier to work with nodes to apply textures and materials to the 3D model. More on nodes later.

1) DL Blender here: http://www.blender.org/

2) Bookmark these to get started:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tG2wSNCBmE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2-FfB9kRmE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5KcOwCL6RA

With that said, I didn't limit myself just to these. This should get you started. There are a lot of amazing tutorials out there, just google or youtube search "How to ___________ in blender" and you will be surprised. That's how I learned a lot. I would get something done then realize I need this for this model, back to google/youtube, so on.

3) Poly counts:

Keep them as low as possible and use circles and cylinders only when needed. These add tons of polys. Know that you can adjust how many sides they have when you bring in (Shift+A) a new object in blender. Before reshaping/resizing or anything, have all your toolbars up (T and N) and look on the left one, you will see number of sides is 32. The less you have the better poly count but also the less smooth it will be. Find a good trade off.

Delete all unseen polys. For example, you have a big house and a small house connected on one side. You should delete both the bottom faces since the ground is there and will be unseen. You should also delete the smaller houses side that connects to the larger one since it is also unseen.

REMEMBER! You don't have to model everything/every detail. A lot of that can be added in with the texture and proper drop shadows. For instance, a plumbing exhaust line running on the outside of the building. Instead of a cylinder and another 50-100 polys, add this detail in the texture work in photoshop with a drop shadow and bevel/texture options. Then you will see it and it will look 3D from the texture.

4) How to pick a model to work on:

Start simple of course but if you are like me, I lost interest quickly in square houses. Get into CloDs FMB and browse the object list. Think of it from a mission builders PoV. What do you wish you could add and see in CloD? Pillboxes? Train signals signs? Keep it simple but keep it interesting and related to CloD if you can. After that google for photos to use as references. Try to get a scale to look at, proper scale is hard and your eye is easily tricked in 3D programs. Blueprints are key in more complex objects. You can import photos (blueprints) into blender and build on top of them, see here for a good way in doing this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu9J0D6ebVw (please don't start with a 747)

5) Learn UVmapping/unwrapping:

This is key for texture work. It is hard and better learned through doing. With time and experience you will start to see better progress. I still am honing my skill in this, it is difficult!

7) ALPHA!:

If you saw my control tower from when I was learning, you will notice that the railing was done in Blender, while this is cool and looks good, it is no good for CloD because of poly count. Things like this must be made in Photoshop (or equivalent) by alpha. What do I mean by alpha? Just follow this:

Make your object, in this case a railing, in photoshop by whatever means you use. So in the end we see this:

WTRail.jpg

Then you make an alpha of this, meaning you use your magic wand in PS and select all of the background, then go to select, inverse selection so now the railing is all highlighted. Then you get your brush out and paint over all the texture to make it all white. Then go back up to select, inverse selection again so now the background is selected, and paint all that black. You are left with this: By using the magic wand process you can quickly do this rather than carefully trying to paint. Make your brush 300 size and done.

WTRailAC1.jpg

Then you save that alpha separately! So you should have something like railing.jpg and railingA.jpg

Then we get to the point of using these in Blender, here is a quick and dirty example. The links above have some good info and a step by step video so I suggest using them and just reading this to get a taste.

Again, this way will only work in "Cycles Render" engine.

These are the steps: (In Blender)

File-import-images as planes (IF THIS ISNT AN OPTION YOU NEED TO DO THIS: File, Userpref, click on addons tab, then look for import/export-images as planes. Its about half way down. Click the box to make this active. Then save. I suggest reading into these, there are other things worth clicking on that are above and beyond this post)

Next, find where your railings.jpg was saved and select it, the one with texture and hit return. Now you see this:

Screen shot 2014-11-18 at 4.10.26 PM.png

No image! Now you'll need to do is this:

Screen shot 2014-11-18 at 4.10.37 PM.png

Then select "material" and it will render the image with the material/texture on the plane.

Screen shot 2014-11-18 at 4.10.42 PM.png

Now adjust your plane to however it should be by means of XYZ axis. Now the hard part!

Go into UV editing:

Screen shot 2014-11-18 at 4.13.24 PM.png

Then go into the node editor by clicking on that little colored photo in the bottom left:

Screen shot 2014-11-18 at 4.14.06 PM.png

Now you see this:

Screen shot 2014-11-18 at 4.15.03 PM.png

Click on the image texture box, the one furthest on the left and duplicate it (shift+D), moving it just above the other one. Like this:

Screen shot 2014-11-18 at 4.16.06 PM.png

Now on the new node you just added, click on the folder icon and search for the ALPHA image of your railing, so in my case railingA.jpg and click enter.

Next, we have to add a couple more nodes and link them properly for the Alpha to work its magic. Go to the ADD on the bottom, go to shader, then at the top you'll see "mix shader", select it. Then link it up to the other nodes like this photo:

Screen shot 2014-11-18 at 4.19.42 PM.png

Now, go back to ADD, and to shader, and select the transparent BSDF. Then place that node here:

Screen shot 2014-11-18 at 4.21.16 PM.png

Now we need to attach this this way:

Screen shot 2014-11-18 at 4.23.28 PM.png

Still not good! Now do this last connection (see image below) and voila!

Screen shot 2014-11-18 at 4.25.41 PM.png

This is how you do alpha work in cycles render in blender. The possibilities are endless with alpha and saves countless polys. Instead of a railing built in blender with cylinders that have 20,000 polys, we use the above technique and we get that number down to about 20.

That is all for now, keep your PM's coming if you have questions, I will help out where and when I can.

Last edited by ♣_Spiritus_♣; Jul-19-2017 at 22:35.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Re: Getting started: 3D modeling with Blender

Thanks very much for your work on this Spiritus.

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Thank you Spiritus, that was most helpful, PM incoming

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.11 MB

Thanks Spiritus!.. always wondered how this was achieved. S!

Ribbs
    Cheers
    Ribbs

INTEL I5 4670 /16 MB DDR3/ MSI Z97 PCMATE MB
    MSI GTX 1060 3 GIG
    WIN 7 64
    MS Sidewinder 2 precision pro Saitek x52 throttle quadrant

By ATAG_Lewis

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

sorry, but a beginner cannot deal alone with these few basic tips. for him, it's too much advanced and for one, who knows the basics, it's too few infos, how to get a model into CloD. i really don't know, what the point of this "tutorial" is lol
    System: Win10 x64 Pro | AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 AiO | Sapphire Radeon 5600 XT Pulse- PCIe 4.0 | Corsair MP600 M.2 SDD 2 TB- PCIe 4.0 | 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600mHz | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro Headphones | Track iR 5 | Thrustmaster T-Flight Stick X

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
    sorry, but a beginner cannot deal alone with these few basic tips. for him, it's too much advanced and for one, who knows the basics, it's too few infos, how to get a model into CloD. i really don't know, what the point of this "tutorial" is lol
    Read the interview with Spiritus Mortem here and you will get the point:

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.co...ad.php?t=13942
    MSI GAMING G65 // i7 4770k @ 4.2GHZ // ASUS GTX 780 CUll // 8GB RAM (@1600mhz) // Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit Version
    Thrustmaster T16000 + Saitek x52 Throttle // Saitek Throttle Quadrant // MFG Crosswind Pedals // Track IR 5

www.jagdgeschwader4.de

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

Its not a tutorial. Its an outline of steps that you need to know in no particular order to start to make sense of Blender and what is required to model for CloD. So it is an outline for beginners.

See step 2 for entry level tutorials on how to learn how to do basic things. The steps I listed aren't "do this in this order," they are steps of things you need to know eventually if you want to start making models for video games.

The point of this "outline" was to get a list of things that one would need to know who has no experience. Now they should know that if you want to be able to model things for video games these are things they must know how to do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

bist du sicher, daß du den richtigen Beitrag verlinkt hast? weil ein "interview" zur Ergänzung dieses eher dürftig gestalteten tutorials, kann ich da nicht drin entdecken. bin aber nach wie vor interessiert!
    System: Win10 x64 Pro | AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 AiO | Sapphire Radeon 5600 XT Pulse- PCIe 4.0 | Corsair MP600 M.2 SDD 2 TB- PCIe 4.0 | 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600mHz | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro Headphones | Track iR 5 | Thrustmaster T-Flight Stick X

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

<snip> "are you sure that you have linked the right post? because an "interview" to supplement the rather meager designed tutorials , I can not see in there . but I am still interested in!"

That link he gave you was just to show you that I learned what you need to know in a couple days. Again, this post is not a tutorial, its an outline, step 2 has links to tutorials or a basic google/youtube search of "How to do _____ in Blender" will suffice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

@Spiritus Mortem

yes, it's a collection of various steps which are needed. was also my own impression. beginners will not happy with it anyway. so it is a "tut" for advanced 3D artists, or?

hope i will get it today

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

i have 8 years experience with blender (still sticking on the older 1.49b version), so i don't need a lesson in modeling in general btw. did you wrote a tutorial how to implement own stuff to clod?
    Last edited by Stefan; Dec-08-2014 at 15:28.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

I see, no its just a basic thing for new people to look through when learning the various things that are needed in 3D modeling.

No tutorial on importing into CloD, thats above my pay grade for good reason.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    820.0 KB

This post is just to get back on track. I had no experience with Blender prior to seeing the video tutorials that Spiritus posted.

Here are some images of a wooden ship hull I have been modeling overt he past 2 weeks. The HMS Druid, built 1775.

No, it is not a TF project, but it is allowing me to work out many of the mechanics of basic model making using Blender.

Linework with the "Line" drawing in background:

Hull with Full Sail image as background:

Ortho of Front:

Ortho of Rear:

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    63.02 MB

Get people up to speed with producing a model good enough to import and then I shall do final touches to ready it for CLOD and then import it and provide it a s a MOD for testing. Then you can take the final product and build and learn from that.
    ATAG_Wolf
    Coursair 16GB (4x 4GB), DDR3-1600MHz
    Gainward Nvidia 980GTX
    850-Watt Modular Power Supply
    WIN10 and COD on Gskill SSD 240GB
    40" Panasonic LCD
    TrackIR5 +
    Thrustmaster Warthog stick, throttle & pedals

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

really good work for a new/b

always take care, that there are less as possible bumps and wrinkles on the surface. you will see it later on the Render or in-game,mainly caused by light- and shadow incidence. you can simply solve it by adding a few more "loops", close together near by very sloped areas, or just by the separation of seams.

red line = separate. the green lines = new loops/ seams

Last edited by Stefan; Dec-09-2014 at 10:48.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Wolf, how do you handle pivots and smoothing groups? Are they created/preserved from Blender, or do you just have to hash it out with the author? I'm too thick for Max, and my 3D Canvas/UU3D are dead ends.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by buster_dee View Post
    Wolf, how do you handle pivots and smoothing groups? Are they created/preserved from Blender, or do you just have to hash it out with the author? I'm too thick for Max, and my 3D Canvas/UU3D are dead ends.

what Blender Version you use? in the older 2.49b version under "Editing" (F9)/ "Set Smoth". smoothing groups are not available. i don't how it's done in blender 2.72 or higher, because i don't uses it. i hope this article will help you https://blender.stackexchange.com/qu...ing-hard-edges

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

That article explains it well, set the edge in auto smooth to around 45 and you'll get get results. Also you can manually set edges by selecting the edges you want, cntrl E, then "mark sharp."

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I was unclear. I don't have Blender. I don't use Max much either (it's like asking a room of cockroaches to point North). For IL2 46, I exported a 3DS file from my UU3D mapper (I model in 3D Canvas, but I use a separate UV mapping tool, both of which can export a 3DS). The IL2 46 game import tools (as far as I know) only accept Max files. Since Max does not recognize pivots and smoothing from my program, someone had to rebuild all that for me. Do the Cliffs tools work directly with Blender, including accepting it's pivots and smoothing groups? Or, do exports from Blender to Max preserve the pivots and smoothing created in Blender? If so, I need to start using Blender and kick my apps to the curb.

If I'm getting this thread off track, please point me elsewhere. Gotta run. Work still thinks it owns me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

No worries, I think someone will be by shortly and answer your question. I probably know the answer to your question but don't want to provide wrong info.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    136.69 MB

Quote Originally Posted by buster_dee View Post
    I was unclear. I don't have Blender. I don't use Max much either (it's like asking a room of cockroaches to point North). For IL2 46, I exported a 3DS file from my UU3D mapper (I model in 3D Canvas, but I use a separate UV mapping tool, both of which can export a 3DS). The IL2 46 game import tools (as far as I know) only accept Max files. Since Max does not recognize pivots and smoothing from my program, someone had to rebuild all that for me. Do the Cliffs tools work directly with Blender, including accepting it's pivots and smoothing groups? Or, do exports from Blender to Max preserve the pivots and smoothing created in Blender? If so, I need to start using Blender and kick my apps to the curb.

If I'm getting this thread off track, please point me elsewhere. Gotta run. Work still thinks it owns me.
    Hi.
    The Blender is good, the export files is fully compatible with Max.

Win11, AMD 3900X, EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 12GB, 128GB RAM, 3840x2160 UHD 43", Logitech G940, MFG Crosswind v3, TrackIr4Pro w Delanclip.
    VR: Samsung Odyssey+ (Windows Mixed Reality HMD), 2880x1600px total resolution.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

If anyone is still learning Blender and getting stuck on the UVunwrap/maps of complex objects, then PM me and I can give you a trick that I just figured out that really should make you happy if you've been having issues with uvunwraps/maps. May be obvious to some but it works like magic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by 69th_Spiritus_Mortem (US-S SM) View Post
    If anyone is still learning Blender and getting stuck on the UVunwrap/maps of complex objects, then PM me and I can give you a trick that I just figured out that really should make you happy if you've been having issues with uvunwraps/maps. May be obvious to some but it works like magic.
    äthe UV Mapping in the newset version has been improved? the UVM in 2.49b is crappy as hell. i use the ancient 4 version of Unfold3D 4, which is even 100 times better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    139.65 MB

Great thread SM. This helped me out so much and for anyone learning this is a great place to start. Thanks SM!!

26. Likes ♣_Spiritus_♣ liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Great!Thanks for sharing

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I know the rule of thumb is to keep the poly count down

thank you Buzzsaw!

The external model maximums are 15000 poly for fighters, and 25000-27000 for bombers.

The cockpit can be more detailed, the original cockpits are around 25000 poly, 40000 polys is ok for more detailed cockpits like bombers.

Tanks are 4-7000 poly, buildings as low as possible, couple of 1000 poly for the more detailed houses.

Ships can be a maximum of 50000-60000 poly, for larger types like Battleships... smaller types less.

190D.png

I started watching this guy but you mentioned not using cylinders or circles, am I learning bad habits from this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu9J0D6ebVw

thnx for any help
    Last edited by thee_oddball; May-06-2016 at 10:37.
    “Ah, women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent.” Friedrich Nietzsche.

Current rig: Ryzen 3600 ,16GB DDR4 3200 ram, 1TB Crucial NVMe, 500GB Samsung EVO, Seasonic platinum prime 750W, ASrock pro4, Vega56 VC, 2560x1440 144Hz Win10 64bit

Supporting Member FluxCapacitance's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Hi 69th_Spiritus_Mortem (and all)

Nice. Didn't know you guys were making your own stuff!

I've been using Blender since it fit on a floppy in the late 90's. Also was a Solidworks CAD admin for a few years. If you guys need help let me know.

The ultimate aviation Blender modeler (in my opinion) is Witold Jaworsky. He has an extremely detailed tutorial for beginners and vets for accurately modelling, texturing and rendering aircraft from references. I bought his P-40 books and his mastery of topology is above par. He's started a free tutorial for an SBD Dauntless here.

Regards.

30. Likes ATAG_yotheguy, ♣_Spiritus_♣ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

That is a great tutorial, wish I saw that when I started. You should PM MysticPuma, we are always looking for 3d modelers!

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Cool Re: Getting started: 3D modeling with Blender

Okay, here my first status update on making some better looking buildings than the ones ingame.

goal for me is to make CPU efficient good looking buildings. Therefore i will keep the 3d models mnimalistic and let the textures do the most thing so that it goes on cost of the GPU.

WIP building 1.0.PNG
    Here is a image of the raw 3d model. I oriented myself on french buildings of the time.
    Textures are getting laid out right now.

33. Likes ATAG_Ribbs, PreyStalker liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast