Thread: Naval Action - Age of Sail - first person historical shooter comes out

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Naval Action - Age of Sail - first person historical shooter comes out

Well for pre-order in alpha sea trials anyways

You need dx11 for it.

Just thought in relation to Aircraft and similar games that some like me may like the older types of ships in a game called NAVAL ACTION.
    Requires DX11 though. The open beta is due in a few weeks to a month for pre-order guys

You get to command one ship only and either play in open world or I think perhaps single scenarios or PVP/PVE battles.
    Ships are individually customisable I believe.

What as a tester I am excited about is that you get down and fire ranging shots from deck level before releasing your broadside.
    Can turn on and off individual gun decks and fire them in any order
    Can allocate the crew to prioritise different task
    Control the mast sails individually or auto
    Contol the helm\rudder obviously along with the speed of the ship
    Weather such as fog, storm seas among others
    Choose round types like roundshot, chain, grape\shotgun sort of shot
    Forts and I think other land things like ports and the like....
    IIRC game tracks every ball fired and damage like smashed cannons and leaks or sail damage/masts falling off etc are all there.

The ships are pretty much replicas of famous real ships.
    So far seen are the HMS Victory (over 100 guns), USS Constitution(heavy super frigate 44 guns), HMS Tricomalee (a match for the USS Connie?), cutter, brig, mortar brig, Yachts, HMS Surprise (Russel Crowes ship in master and commander), Bellona (74 guns).

Here are a few shots of me testing.

Anyone who loves Hornblower and 1700 - early 1800 age of sail ships might like this one. It's kind of unique.
    http://www.navalaction.com/#ageofsail
    P.S. I hope this is the right place to post. If I am breaking any rules just let me know.

Last edited by Destraex; Nov-21-2014 at 05:04.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    820.0 KB

Re: This weekend - Naval Action - Age of Sail - first person historical shooter comes

WOw, thanks for posting.
    Love all the screen shots.

I love the big rigs....I may need to check this out....but will wait for bargain basement price, LOL!

[edit] I just checked out the website....Looks very promising...I was figuring it was a Steam game (i.e. Goat Simulator type game, LOL!). This is independent and I may be interested in the pre-purchase just to support them...very compelling concept. Not sure if I can handle DX11.
    Last edited by Marmus; Nov-21-2014 at 08:46.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Re: This weekend - Naval Action - Age of Sail - first person historical shooter comes

I used to play a PC game called 'Age Of Sail' and another called 'Wooden Walls & Iron Men' I have all the Bolitho & Hornblower books
    56sqn US@R - Diary of a hopeless Pilot Officer http://roblex56raf.livejournal.com/

Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) > AMD Athlon II X4 605e @ 2300MHz
    16Gb RAM > Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce 1050Ti

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    820.0 KB

I watched "Master and Commander" last weekend....awesome movie.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    319.97 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Roblex View Post
    I used to play a PC game called 'Age Of Sail' and another called 'Wooden Walls & Iron Men' I have all the Bolitho & Hornblower books
    Have you read the Aubrey-Maturin series from O'Brian? Seen Master and Commander? Or the Drinkwater series from Woodman? The Delaney from Parkinson? Ramage by Pope? Or gone even further back in time and read Frederick Maryatt (whom Forrester, Kent, O'Brian, et al must have read, too)?

I am sorely, sorely tempted ...

Veteran Combat pilot 3./JG51_Heiden's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

So is this worth getting?
    Oblt. Jochen Heiden
    3./Jagdgeschwader 51
    162 Confirmed Kills - "Ace In A Day" Club Member

HARDWARE:
    - i7 2600k @ 4.6GHz
    - 16gig DDR3-1600
    - Intel 128GB SSD
    - MSI GTX 660ti 2GB OC'd

Check out my Youtube Channel for great videos of aircraft destruction and Bf-109 training instruction!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCou...QRue1omZ-INlag

Veteran Combat pilot MajorBorris's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

That looks really cool!
    ASUS Sabertooth MB--Intel 2600k@4.7--EVGA GTX580 3GB--Corasir 1200 watt psu--Corsair 16gb 1833--Corsair H70 cooler--Corsair 650d case--OCZ Vertex 3--Track IR5--CH Eclipse Yoke--CH Trottle Quadrant--CH MFP--CH Rudders

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    820.0 KB

I bought it yesterday. I should be getting my Steam Key this week to get into the "Sea Trials"...they are testing for Network/Server issues and general game play intuitiveness. Still in Alpha.

I doubt I will have much time for it....but hopefully can find an hour or two next weekend to check it out.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    820.0 KB

FYI - I just saw a post in their forums that states if you purchased after Nov 21, no "Sea Trials" for you. Oh well, I missed it....I don't really have time right now anyway.

But though you all would like to know. I'll let ya know when I do get alpha access.
    Last edited by Marmus; Nov-24-2014 at 22:38.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.21 MB

thanks for the info. Would love to have this sim. Will keep an eye out for it!
    Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra, i7-9700k (4.9ghz all cores), NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL-14 3200mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Soundblaster Z, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 1x 512GB Samsung NVMe, 2x 1TB Samsung NVMe, 2TB Samsung SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, EVGA 850 P2 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2 , K-51 Helicopter Collective Control, Reverb G2, SteamVR res: 2820x2760 (80%), nVidia driver 536.23

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    820.0 KB

From the Naval Action Facebook page:

Dear Captains.

We will deploy the update for the Alpha sea trials build today. We will fix some of the issues that existed in PvP, update for-and-aft rigged vessels wind angles and add some other things to the testing build. Detailed patch notes will be posted later today on our forums.

Next batch of Steam Keys will be sent to pre-order buyers on Friday 28th November.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    820.0 KB

Got my key...

....first attempt at warfare..

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    184.7 KB

Lol, nice video Marmus, it looks like you got stuck pointing up wind at the end.

Does it have crew managment for pumping water out of the hold, putting out fires, changing sails, ect?
    Last edited by ATAG_NakedSquirrel; Nov-30-2014 at 02:16.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

So are we talking Silent Hunter but with sailing ships? If so that's pretty cool. Although I'm going to be waiting until it's out of alpha/beta first for sure. I dislike buying early access games.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Nice. Commanding a Ship of the Line versus blasted Boni Would be great if you can hone your crew with exercises and discipline, maybe make a seaman or two 'kiss the gunner's daughter' or 'keel haul' them if they really misbehave

Does it model spilling wind of other ships? Those guns wouldn't be crewed by a single man though, they'd have a team on each. I noticed that on the first shot the French ship crossed the T, bad positioning from you old boy

Britannia Rules the Waves.....

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    820.0 KB

Re: Naval Action - Age of Sail - first person historical shooter comes out

Here is someone else's video...they must have gotten good at it, they worked their way up to a much bigger ship!

Yes, it has crew management....you set priorities....so when I started to take on water, I send some men to pump, but that limited the number of canons I could use. I think the One man per gun is just the progress to date.

This is all very early Alpha, this is a small module out for testing of the gun engine and intuitiveness of whole sailing process. They plan on a financial aspect to game, so I guess you can trade or raid, etc.

I believe that "spill wind of other ships" was brought up in their Alpha forums, but at this time they do not plan to model it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I hope this time they do not mistreat the Spanish ships as in other games.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Thanks Marmus

Spartan, do you mean treat them as not as well designed for rougher waters as the British ships? Would be good if you can actually pull alongside and board, then take as a prize.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    820.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
    Thanks Marmus

Spartan, do you mean treat them as not as well designed for rougher waters as the British ships? Would be good if you can actually pull alongside and board, then take as a prize.
    The screen shots from OP above show boarding and taking over ship...so that will be in final game.