Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BOS vs COD performance

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

BOS vs COD performance

I own cliffs of dover but my comp. only will run it well when the graphics are turned way down. I was wondering, does BOS require a lot more comp. power or does it run similar to COD?

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Re: BOS vs COD performance

Install the free Rise Of Flight and it should give you a fair expectation (same game-engine and this should be labeled RoF1943 instead of IL2).

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Take a look in this thread, maybe you find some PC configuration similar with your computer.

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/...ardware/page-1

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Be careful with the RoF test. RoF runs smooth as silk for me with graphics pretty much maxed out, but BoS is a stuttering mess that I can't play at all right now even on its lowest graphics settings (2 to 4 fps on the runway).

i5 2320 @ 3.0 GHz 12 GB Ram
    AMD 7850 2GB
    Last edited by Bucksnort; Dec-04-2014 at 02:42.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Bucksnort View Post
    Be careful with the RoF test. RoF runs smooth as silk for me with graphics pretty much maxed out, but BoS is a stuttering mess that I can't play at all right now even on its lowest graphics settings (2 to 4 fps on the runway).

AMD 7850 2GB
    Ouch, that bad huh?
    In that case I'll never recommend RoF test in future

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    24.74 MB

S!

Cliffs of Dover with TF mod runs far better than BoS, even if I use downsampling. And performance is better also online on Cliffs.
    Rig for gaming...

Intel i5 10600K 4.1GHz CPU, MSI Z490-A Pro mobo, 32Gb DDR4 @ 3200MHz, AMD Radeon 6700XT 12Gb, Samsung/WD SSD for OS/Games, TMWH throttle, Virpil WarBRD base + MongoosT grip, MFG CrossWind, Windows 11 Pro 64-bit

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

Funny enough I had stutters when attacked before in cod, not anymore. But now I got it in BOS. Barely noticeable.
    I find BOS from the start smoother, but now I find cod more stable. To me that make no sense.

COD need good GPU, I am not sure about BOS, maybe it need more CPU

I know lot of things changed in @bos graphic wise along the way. ROF are much more pc friendly than COD, so BOS should be the same.
    But online COD are atm more stable, but the dev team are working on this. I have no problem with either worth mentioning with my i7 2800 680 gtx
    Last edited by LuseKofte; Dec-12-2014 at 04:02.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    184.7 KB

AMD 7850 2GB
    Even on different graphics settings? (Granted that is a loaded question since BoS only has 4 "settings") BoS added a few features with terrain and clouds, but it added quite a bit of graphic improvement at lower FPS on my end. (I run Nvidia) It may have to do with poor AMD optimization? I think BoS would be a much more graphic friendly game if they gave you control over the features like RoF does, but someone on the project decided not to make them available.

CloD should run decently on lower end machines. Granted, you have to figure out which features to cut and keep. The biggest , easiest cut is the shadow detail. Removing cockpit shadows should give you a pretty good boost in FPS if you're lacking.
    Last edited by ATAG_NakedSquirrel; Dec-12-2014 at 04:12.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

I think BOS is sensitive to witch type of GPU you use. I would be careful giving advice against anything . I heard nvidia cards was best suited for cod and bos, and the latter in particular. nvidia updates are supporting BOS

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Smile Re: BOS vs COD performance

Nvidia cards have had fewer problems running flight sims for quite sometime. I know I haven't bought an AMD card for many years because of this.

ROF was released relatively finished and optimized, and ran fairly well on most systems. COD was released unfinished and optimized, so ran poorly on most systems, until Team Fusion optimized the game engine.

The new BOS sim has put greater demands on the ROF game engine, but the engine has been steadily optimized. Team Fusion has made even greater strides optimizing the COD game engine. The question is, has BOS made enough money to warrant further development/optimization of ROF/BOS game engine, and if not is there a group of modders willing and able to continue its development. Historically the ROF game engine has never had a large mod crowd, while Oleg's products have had strong mod communities, mostly because the ROF game engines FMB is hard to work with.

Lately on a Friday the first sim update I look for is team Fusions, as IMHO the COD game engine has more upside.

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Mods for the DN engine are limited because many things are encrypted in the exe. Only one (very clever) person succeeded at adjusting a flight model, and he explained that he had almost no idea what he was doing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.5 KB

In my opinion all flight sims have their pluses and minuses. I have Cliffs of Dover, BOS, ROF and all the DCS modules (and on my study bookcase shelf copies if such games as il2 1946, Pacific Fighters, MS Combat Flight Sim+ addons / etc etc) and get a level of enjoyment out of each. The only limiting factors that I experience are:

1. The limited time I have available to play these sims (real life is a bugger at times)

2. When in MP, the latency / bandwidth limitations of connecting to servers located halfway round the world from me (however, that is more than compensated by living "down under").

If you are looking at the value for money issue, then (after almost three decades of buying and playing computer flight sims) I think I am way way ahead in the "benefit" area.

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Chivas View Post
    Nvidia cards have had fewer problems running flight sims for quite sometime. I know I haven't bought an AMD card for many years because of this.

ROF was released relatively finished and optimized, and ran fairly well on most systems. COD was released unfinished and optimized, so ran poorly on most systems, until Team Fusion optimized the game engine.

The new BOS sim has put greater demands on the ROF game engine, but the engine has been steadily optimized. Team Fusion has made even greater strides optimizing the COD game engine. The question is, has BOS made enough money to warrant further development/optimization of ROF/BOS game engine, and if not is there a group of modders willing and able to continue its development. Historically the ROF game engine has never had a large mod crowd, while Oleg's products have had strong mod communities, mostly because the ROF game engines FMB is hard to work with.

Lately on a Friday the first sim update I look for is team Fusions, as IMHO the COD game engine has more upside.

Their sales goal is 200.000 units, let say for argument sake that since the release they have only made 1/8 of there goal which would make 25,000 customers and per the devs %80 of them are off line players which leaves 5000 online players which you could make a conservative estimate of only seeing %5 of them at any given time would translate to me logging in at any given time and finding 250 people playing....as of this post there were 90 people online...

Take unlockGate and all bad PR and unpopular decisions they have made and collectively it has had a very negative impact which the devs seem unwilling to acknowledge. I suspect that once the ME,viewer and Dserver are released they will go into "coast" mode with no more major investment, just a "milking" stage were they will just start selling planes here and there and maps or what ever.
    Last edited by thee_oddball; Dec-13-2014 at 16:03.
    “Ah, women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent.” Friedrich Nietzsche.

Current rig: Ryzen 3600 ,16GB DDR4 3200 ram, 1TB Crucial NVMe, 500GB Samsung EVO, Seasonic platinum prime 750W, ASrock pro4, Vega56 VC, 2560x1440 144Hz Win10 64bit

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.21 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Chivas View Post

Win8.1 + nVidia + CloD (MP) = micro stutters
    Win8.1 + nVidia + CloD (SP) = no issues, smooth
    Win8.1 + AMD + CloD = no issues, smooth
    Win8.1 + nVidia + DCS (all modules) = no issues, butter smooth!
    Win8.1 + nVidia + BOS = no issues, smooth

My system specs, noted in my sig
    Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra, i7-9700k (4.9ghz all cores), NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL-14 3200mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Soundblaster Z, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 1x 512GB Samsung NVMe, 2x 1TB Samsung NVMe, 2TB Samsung SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, EVGA 850 P2 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2 , K-51 Helicopter Collective Control, Reverb G2, SteamVR res: 2820x2760 (80%), nVidia driver 536.23

Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by javelina View Post
    Win8.1 + nVidia + CloD (MP) = micro stutters
    Win8.1 + nVidia + CloD (SP) = no issues, smooth
    Win8.1 + AMD + CloD = no issues, smooth
    Win8.1 + nVidia + DCS (all modules) = no issues, butter smooth!
    Win8.1 + nVidia + BOS = no issues, smooth

My system specs, noted in my sig
    Win8.1 + nVidia 970 + CloD (MP) = micro stutters

Javelina, new arhitecture card, probably drivers needs to be tweaked more. Looky and Venom also have stutters with 970 and win8 even if card is huge overkill for CloD.
    I bet you can run it with DSR 4 with that card.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.21 MB

Quote Originally Posted by vranac View Post
    Win8.1 + nVidia 970 + CloD (MP) = micro stutters

Javelina, new arhitecture card, probably drivers needs to be tweaked more. Looky and Venom also have stutters with 970 and win8 even if card is huge overkill for CloD.
    I bet you can run it with DSR 4 with that card.
    hey vranac!

I'll have to reach out to Looky and Venom...

I run ArmA3 & DCS with DSR, man does it look awesome!

But, I keep CloD at 1920 x 1080 on my 39" HDTV, because my eyes aren't that good. And I need to spot those "dots" as quickly as possible.

Catch you on the next campaign mission there buddy!

-Jav
    Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra, i7-9700k (4.9ghz all cores), NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL-14 3200mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Soundblaster Z, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 1x 512GB Samsung NVMe, 2x 1TB Samsung NVMe, 2TB Samsung SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, EVGA 850 P2 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2 , K-51 Helicopter Collective Control, Reverb G2, SteamVR res: 2820x2760 (80%), nVidia driver 536.23

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_NakedSquirrel View Post
    Even on different graphics settings? (Granted that is a loaded question since BoS only has 4 "settings") BoS added a few features with terrain and clouds, but it added quite a bit of graphic improvement at lower FPS on my end. (I run Nvidia) It may have to do with poor AMD optimization? I think BoS would be a much more graphic friendly game if they gave you control over the features like RoF does, but someone on the project decided not to make them available.

CloD should run decently on lower end machines. Granted, you have to figure out which features to cut and keep. The biggest , easiest cut is the shadow detail. Removing cockpit shadows should give you a pretty good boost in FPS if you're lacking.
    Yeah, I've tried absolutely everything. Been asking for help on the BoS forum and posting screenshots from MSI Afterburner for their gurus, but nothing helps. When they realized my GPU dropped to 35% the moment BoS launched they immediately stopped answering my posts. I'm no graphics performance expert, but some of the other guys on there figured out BoS is hugely underutilizing some AMD GPU's. Other AMD GPU's are fine. But its unique to BoS, as RoF is screaming fast for me. BoS is a slide show. There's another guy on SimHQ with a state of the art AMD CPU and GPU system who can't run BoS either, so its not just me. Both of us bit the dust for some reason when they eliminated Custom Graphics in BoS.

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

What is your other hardware? There used to a be a bug in DCS where enabling ffb caused a fps drop. It sounds crazy, but it really happened. Have you tried removing your joystick, pedals, and everything to see if there is a difference?

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Yeah, I've tried absolutely everything. Been asking for help on the BoS forum and posting screenshots from MSI Afterburner for their gurus, but nothing helps. When they realized my GPU dropped to 35% the moment BoS launched they immediately stopped answering my posts. I'm no graphics performance expert, but some of the other guys on there figured out BoS is hugely underutilizing some AMD GPU's. Other AMD GPU's are fine. But its unique to BoS, as RoF is screaming fast for me. BoS is a slide show. There's another guy on SimHQ with a state of the art AMD CPU and GPU system who can't run BoS either, so its not just me. Both of us bit the dust for some reason when they eliminated Custom Graphics in BoS.
    there was a bizarre issue with CLod when it was first released, people with ATI cards were getting really bad frames it was soon discovered that the intro video was locking their cards at 30fps , once the intro video was deleted all went back to normal.

does your CPU usage drop as well?
    “Ah, women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent.” Friedrich Nietzsche.

Current rig: Ryzen 3600 ,16GB DDR4 3200 ram, 1TB Crucial NVMe, 500GB Samsung EVO, Seasonic platinum prime 750W, ASrock pro4, Vega56 VC, 2560x1440 144Hz Win10 64bit

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by gavagai View Post
    What is your other hardware? There used to a be a bug in DCS where enabling ffb caused a fps drop. It sounds crazy, but it really happened. Have you tried removing your joystick, pedals, and everything to see if there is a difference?
    Hi Gav,

My controllers are a Thrustmaster T.16000M twisty stick and a CH Pro Throttle (no pedals or ffb stick). But I'll run BoS with my controllers unplugged just to see what happens. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by thee_oddball View Post
    there was a bizarre issue with CLod when it was first released, people with ATI cards were getting really bad frames it was soon discovered that the intro video was locking their cards at 30fps , once the intro video was deleted all went back to normal.

does your CPU usage drop as well?
    Hi Oddball,

I don't remember the numbers anymore, but they said my CPU was doing fine when BoS launched (i5 2320 @ 3.0 GHz). Plenty of excess RAM also (I've got 12GB - BoS used about 8GB and left 4GB for headroom). It was definitely the GPU that took a nose dive when BoS launched.

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    9.39 MB

May be of help to someone with similar specs, i5 3570 GTX770 2GB

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/...rmance-nvidia/

Cheers Dakpilot

Supporting Member
    Somewhere in the Land of Southern Bankers!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I've found one of the best ways to remove micro-stutters is to either write a script that disables services and programs not needed when CLoD is running or (easier) use "game booster" software that does the same thing. I have some services and applications runing normally that will cause microstutter problems with my system when it ran with a GTX 670 and even now after upgrading to GTX 970...the graphic card wasn't the problem so much as the applications I ran in the background. The only way to remove the microstutters for me was to eliminate the programs which caused it (in my case, the application causing the biggest problems was Rainmeter).

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    160.45 MB

Quote Originally Posted by gavagai View Post
    Mods for the DN engine are limited because many things are encrypted in the exe. Only one (very clever) person succeeded at adjusting a flight model, and he explained that he had almost no idea what he was doing.
    Gavagai, any chance that clever person has found a way to restore custom graphic presets? that is one of my biggest gripes with BoS right now.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by hnbdgr View Post
    Gavagai, any chance that clever person has found a way to restore custom graphic presets? that is one of my biggest gripes with BoS right now.
    Mine too - I've stopped playing because of it. I want to play on ultra but without that totally broken SSAO the devs implemented. I won't be buying anything more from them unless there's more options to turn this crap off. Graphic options are standard in every single PC game of any type. Bucking that trend is just lazy and not a good idea.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Wow, this is the first time I've heard BoS eliminated custom graphics settings...

Very strange, not something you'd think a game designer would do in the day and age.

Supporting Member
    Somewhere in the Land of Southern Bankers!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by RAF74_Buzzsaw View Post
    Wow, this is the first time I've heard BoS eliminated custom graphics settings...

Very strange, not something you'd think a game designer would do in the day and age.
    It was an odd decision....

Overall I like BOS....the unlock system kinda stinks and some of the developer decisions are definitely questionable but it's still a decent product. That said, CLOD with TF is better...at least for the things that matter to me....YMMV. Personally, I like choice. ...having more air combat games is better than no combat games and every game ever released has flaws....BOS is no different.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    277.0 KB

For my PC and the for the clouds in Battle of Stalingrad my hats in the ring for BoS over Cliffs by a large margin.

GTX770
    16gig ram
    Maximus Hero VII mobo

I can run BoS on Ultra everything. I've tweaked the ini. file so my clear draw distance on terrain looks full real as much as a video game can.

I can play in a Russian server with 250 ping and be butter smooth.

I can not play Cliffs on all Max. I still can not get rid of the last bit of micro stutter.
    It had broken the game for me until the other night when some TS advice helped greatly.

The clouds are not endless in Cliffs like they are in a spectacular fashion in BoS. Truely; BoS has got those clouds nailed better than any flight game I have ever played. So much so I bet its a huge factor in some gamers PC not being able to keep up. Cliffs clouds are pretty bad. They just pop into existence like some round cotton balls with more to simulate bad weather while it's always clear in the distance...... It ruins immersion somewhat and frustrated my buddy so bad aftger coming here from BoS he won't play it.. His PC is beast and Cliffs stutters for him.

For performance and refinement BoS kicks the crap out of Cliffs in every way. It should too it's 5 years newer.

Now if the flight models, damage and tracers where better and people actually played I'd be stoked. Oh and if it wasn't Russia. I find the theatre boring.

Over time as the game grows I'll play it but right now I'm not even logging in.

Why would I when Cliffs has people playing every day. Great crowd and its just plain fun. It's my favorite theatre too.

I wish the all the dudes at BoS would hire all of Team Fusion to fix their game.

Thanks Team Fusion even with the above bad comments your mod is fantastic. There is a shiny new toy out that got me into simming after war thunder entry that if it was a hard copy it would be gathering dust.

I play the better game.

Well done.

On the border of the Eastern and Western Roman Empire
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    763 Bytes

Quote Originally Posted by theOden View Post
    Install the free Rise Of Flight and it should give you a fair expectation (same game-engine and this should be labeled RoF1943 instead of IL2).
    In fact that is not true since BOs now has locked custom video setings and SSAO is built in all presets and has a huge impact on perfromance. My experience. When I owned BOs it would considerably slow down in MP even on med and CLOD runs great with tweaks from this forum and SweetFx instead of ingame AA.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    click here for fixes if you have stutters in Cliffs Of Dover

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    160.45 MB

@SMOKEJUMPER - what LOD values do you use for the BoS ini file? I'd like to compare

@Tvrdi - Recently there's been light at the end of the tunnel I read that they are considering at least making SSAO optional in the future. This is a change from their previous "never and that's the end of it" stance. If people badger them with relevant requests long enough they will eventually give in. It's a pity that one has to do it in the first place... but at least they are moving in a positive direction now.

It's tough to compare the 2 games. AA in Cliffs has always been broken. The in-game (is it MSAA or FXAA..? someone please weigh in here..) works, but doesn't get rid of distant shimmering and the top horizontal bar in 109. After years or trying i settled on Sweetfx 2.0 FXAA+ingame AA on 2 + a little bit positive LOD bias in inspector. This makes it finaly fairly pleasant. BoS AA works out of the box.

Overall you can't deny that Cliffs takes a lot more patience and tweaking to get the best out of it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast