Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TSNotifier for Beginners [Definitive Guide]

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    839.4 KB

TSNotifier for Beginners [Definitive Guide]

Who said that?

Want to see who's speaking in TeamSpeak without taking your eyes off the sky? While there are plenty of awesome folks here who have posted useful information already, nobody has as of yet created a complete guide for beginners - current to today's environment. My intention here is to provide that reference post, and to save you from repeating the many days effort it took me to figure this all out.

This guide assumes you have both IL2CoD and TeamSpeak already installed and functional.

S/W versions used in this guide:
    • CoD TF patch v4.312
    • TeamSpeak v3.0.16
    • TSNotifier v1.5.5c

I'll endeavor to keep this top post current over time, edited as needed, so you don't need to read the whole thread to get on with it (assuming this guide inspires any discussion).

All helpful comments encouraged and welcomed!

Summary

• install TS Notifier app
    • enable it for IL2CoD
    • test it
    • tweak as desired, for bonus marks

Quickstart Guide (for advanced users)

This will get you up and running in 5 minutes. For the full user guide, please skip this section and proceed to Full Guide below.

• first, close the TeamSpeak and Cliffs of Dover applications
    • install TSNotifier from http://tsnotifier.cfxxl.de/
    • launch TSNotifier.exe as an Administrator
    • add these values to C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Roaming\TSNotifier\gamesettings. ini

[Launcher.exe]
    game.enabled=1
    font.size=30
    speaker.offsetY=20

• Backup existing settings.ini file, then replace it with the one attached below (extract contents to C:\Users\<your usename>\AppData\Roaming\TSNotifier):

settings.zip

(Note: the above settings.ini file is provided as a convenience. It configures the s/w as described in the Optional Tweaks section below.)

• restart TSNotifier.exe for above to take affect (again, as administrator)
    • launch TeamSpeak
    • launch CoD (or restart it if already running)
    • enjoy!

Check out the Testing, Optional Tweaks and Special Observations sections below to enjoy TSNotifier to its fullest.

Full Guide

Installation:
    • download 'TSNotifier' from http://tsnotifier.cfxxl.de/
    • launch the .msi you downloaded above (automated installer 'SetupTSNotifierV1xxx.msi')

Make special shortcut:
    • browse to TSNotifier.exe in C:\Program Files (x86)\TS Notifier\
    • right-click TSNotifier.exe -> Compatibility tab -> Enable 'Run this program as an administrator' -> OK
    • right-click TSNotifier.exe -> Send to -> Desktop (create shortcut). Or, create whatever other shortcut you want.

Note: TSNotifier does NOT work on my PC unless it's run as Administrator. Your system may be different. TeamSpeak, however, does not require Admin rights.

Enabling:
    • launch TSNotifier (using special shortcut created above)
    • look for the 'TS' Notifier icon in the Windows System Tray
    • right-click -> Edit gamesettings.ini
    • search for the line '[Launcher.exe]'. If it doesn't exist, create it (at the top is easiest).
    • under it, add 'game.enabled=1' (no quotes)

[Launcher.exe]
    game.enabled=1

• save your changes
    • If CoD is already running, close it then restart it. Otherwise, just start it now.

NOTE: any gamesettings.ini changes require CoD to be restarted.

Testing:
    Single Player -> Quick Mission mode works fine for any testing (i.e. you don't need to join the Multiplayer ATAG server each time you want to re-test a small change).

During your testing, any changes made to gamesettings.ini require CoD to be restarted. Changes made via the TSNotifier's right-click menu options, however, do not.

• launch TSNotifier (using special shortcut created above)
    • right-click 'TS' Notifier icon -> General -> enable 'Show Self' (temporarily, for testing)
    • launch TeamSpeak (TS), connect to the ATAG TS server, and join a separate, empty 'Flight x' channel

NOTE: it is highly recommended you conduct these tests outside the main Allied Forces or Axis Forces group channels, so as not to distract your fellow flight mates!

• launch CoD and spawn into an aircraft
    • press your TeamSpeak's 'Press-To-Talk' button/keyboard key
    • you should see your handle name appear overlaid on your flight screen as intended (in yellow, by default)
    • Note: you must be in-cockpit. No overlay will appear if you're in the menu areas.
    • to conduct listening tests, switch to your side's group channel ('Allied Forces' or 'Axis Forces')
    • when someone speaks you should see their handle appear as intended
    • continue tweaking TSNotifier as desired (ALT-Tab back to Windows, make change, then ALT-Tab back to the game)
    • the exception is for any gamesettings.ini changes, which will require you to restart CoD (these described more below).

When you're done testing, remember to disable 'Show Self' again (unless you get confused easily and need that reminder :)

Optional Tweaks (some highly recommended):

Font Size Changes:

I find the default font a bit small. Here's how to change it:
    • right-click 'TS'Notifier icon in system tray -> Edit gamesettings.ini
    • in the [Launcher.exe] section add this line:

font.size=30

(use whatever font size you want - default is 15)

• save your changes
    NOTE: any gamesettings.ini changes require CoD to be restarted.
    • enable 'Show Self' temporarily to test (see Testing section above)

Recommended:

Right-click 'TS'Notifier icon in your system tray for each item below:

• 'Update-check'-> 'Check on startup'-> disable (mine's working great now, don't want it messed up!)
    • General-> 'Show Channel'-> disable (unless you monitor multiple channels and want to distinguish them)
    • General-> 'Also show non-speaker'-> disable. Enable this if you want to see everyone in the channel (maybe useful for those with just one monitor). Color changes for the speaker. Use small font size for this one!
    • General-> 'Show Log'-> disable (unless you want to monitor new channel joins)
    • General-> 'Show caption "Log-scroller"'-> disable
    • General-> 'Show self'-> disable (after testing completed)
    • General-> 'Min Display Time'-> 'adjust overlay fade delay'. This is how long each nickname appears (I prefer 3000 ms)
    • Colors-> Speaker-> name's color. The default green is hard to see over bright skies (I prefer dark blue).
    • 'Speaker Position'-> Top-Center (or wherever you prefer)

NOTE: the above changes take effect immediately (restarting CoD is not required).

Text Positioning Tweaks

Certain screen positions block important messages. Here's how to fix that:

• right-click 'TS' Notifier icon-> Edit gamesettings.ini
    • add this line to the [Launcher.exe] section:

speaker.offsetY=20

The exact value is up to you. 20 works well for Top-Center mode with a font size of 30. This prevents it blocking important incoming campaign notifications.

Positioning commands available:
    • speaker.offsetX: moves speakers right (positive values), or left (negative values)
    • speaker.offsetY: moves speakers down (positive values), or up (negative values)
    • logscroller.offsetX: moves log-scroller right (positive values), or left (negative values)
    • logscroller.offsetY: moves log-scroller down (positive values), or up (negative values)

Special Observations

• TSNotifier must be run as an Administrator (at least, that's what I've found). If you're not seeing anything in-cockpit, this may be why.
    • use CTRL-ALT-SHIFT-F11 to toggle it off/on
    • the 'AFK' TeamSpeak channel won't work for the above TSNotifier tests (to avoid confusion)
    • you can fine tune the overlay position using special gamesettings.ini values in the [Launcher.exe] section (see Text Positioning Tweaks above.
    • avoid using TSNotifier's 'Start with TS' option. This causes multiple instances to remain in memory whenever you exit/start TeamSpeak. Instead, launch each application separately.
    • don't bother using TSNotifier's optional 'Hardware Overlay' mode. Although it has some nice features, it's problematic (i.e. works in the CoD menus, but not in a cockpit). If you have it working, and know exactly how you got it working, please let me know!
    • a guide to fancy outline and color tweaking found here: http://blog.cfxxl.de/index.php/how-t...tions/?lang=en
    • some folks have overlays working using the one built into CoD itself. However, they're using older versions of TeamSpeak. The current version no longer works in CoD and is no longer available from the TS website.

Hope this helps. Enjoy!
    Last edited by 69th_Turn; Jul-30-2015 at 05:23. Reason: flow improvements (no new info)
    Long Live Team Fusion.
    Long Live ATAG.
    How can I help?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    202.80 MB

Re: TSNotifier for Beginners [Definitive Guide]

Maybe a 'completely-complete' guide for beginners could include a video for the not-so computerate ...?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

I've been having trouble with TSnotifier and any overlay for that matter..Never had any of them working....I've tried a few different ones over the past couple years with no joy...So many folks have tried to help but to no avail...Here's my issue again just in case someone has any fresh ideas...and sorry to bring an issue to this brilliant thread already....~S~

When I start TSNotifier I get a 'bong' noise and this error..

r.jpg

and then in TSNotifier settings I have this....

Untitled.jpg

it doesn't matter which overlay/notifier I use I still get it in red in the settings....I have tried 32bit...64bit...and other overlays...all are red in this area..
    Last edited by ATAG_Lewis; Feb-08-2015 at 15:36.
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    1.618 - You know this number?
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle
    ATAG_Lewis Youtube Channel

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    839.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    Maybe a 'completely-complete' guide for beginners could include a video for the not-so computerate ...?
    Hey Volunteer. Yeah, I thought about a video, but the procedure didn't seem like a good candidate - in my mind.

May I ask what part(s) you find especially confusing? I thought it was quite geared to the computer novice already, but perhaps I should do more somewhere.
    Long Live Team Fusion.
    Long Live ATAG.
    How can I help?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    839.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Lewis View Post
    I've been having trouble with TSnotifier and any overlay for that matter..Never had any of them working....[snip]...and sorry to bring an issue to this brilliant thread already....~S~
    No problem, Lewis. Would love to try helping...
    (thanks for the screenshots...they help)

First of all, I can recreate your second error at will (and fix it). The first error, however...less confident about, but let's have a go anyway. If you're game, want to meet up on TS sometime? Way quicker than dogfighting it for days in a thread.

Just pick a time (PM me) and I'll be there (you may ignore timezone differences)

To prepare, please download the zip-file version of the current TSNotifier s/w ahead of time:

• http://tsnotifier.cfxxl.de/
    • click the '(show other files)' link right at the top of the above web page
    • then, scroll down to the TSNotitier (zip-File/no installer) section
    • download the very first zip file (it's slow, so may take awhile)
    • extract contents to new folder on your Windows Desktop

-Turn-
    Long Live Team Fusion.
    Long Live ATAG.
    How can I help?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    49.77 MB

There is no existing settings.ini file. Do i just add it to the folder that already contains the gamesettings.ini file?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Sorry I missed your reply...I'll download the files when Im back on my pc
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    1.618 - You know this number?
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle
    ATAG_Lewis Youtube Channel

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    839.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by KansasCS View Post
    There is no existing settings.ini file. Do i just add it to the folder that already contains the gamesettings.ini file?
    Hey KansasCS,

Yes, that should work fine too. Normally, settings.ini gets created after the first time you launch TSNotifier.exe.

(if one follows the sequence in the Quickstart section...)

Make sure you always launch TSNotifier as an Administrator too.

Let me know how it goes. Thanks.
    Long Live Team Fusion.
    Long Live ATAG.
    How can I help?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    951.48 MB

I have everything set up the right way, it seems. But, I get the TSnotifier window UNTIL i open CloD. As soon as I double click on the CloD file, the window disappears.

Any idea why?

Thanks,

badfinger
    Win 10 64 bit, 2T Hard Drive, 1T SSD, 500GB SSD, Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming MB,
    Intel i9 9900 Coffee Lake 31ghz CPU, EVGA 2070 Super GPU, 32gb DDR4 Ram,
    Track IR5, 32” Gigabyte Curved Monitor 165hz, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Voice Attack, Reverb G2

League City, TX

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    839.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by badfinger View Post
    ...As soon as I double click on the CloD file, the window disappears...
    Yep, I've got some ideas. Sounds like you've set things up differently. Let's meet on TS and I can try to help. If I see anything of interest to others, I'll update everyone here.

Just pick a time...
    Long Live Team Fusion.
    Long Live ATAG.
    How can I help?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    951.48 MB

I just want everybody to know that Turn spent ~2.5 hours with me tonight, trying to help me get TSNotifier working correctly. It's very gratifying to know that people with his patience and self-sacrifice are in our flight sim community willing to help us less PC proficient types.

Well done, and thanks, Turn.

badfinger
    Track IR5, 32” Gigabyte Curved Monitor 165hz, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Voice Attack, Reverb G2

League City, TX

12. Likes Volunteer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    376.42 MB

o7 to you Turn
    It takes an airplane to bring out the worst in a pilot.
    ((dB)) youTube Channel

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    376.42 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Turn View Post
    Optional Tweaks (some highly recommended):

Right-click 'TS'Notifier icon in your system tray for each item below:

• 'Update-check'-> 'Check on startup'-> disable (mine's working great now, don't want it messed up!)
    • General-> 'Show Channel'-> disable (unless you monitor multiple channels and want to distinguish them)
    • General-> 'Also show non-speaker'-> disable. Enable this if you want to see everyone in the channel (maybe useful for those with just one monitor). Color changes for the speaker. Use small font size for this one!
    • General-> 'Show Log'-> disable (unless you want to monitor new channel joins)
    • General-> 'Show caption "Log-scroller"'-> disable
    • General-> 'Show self'-> disable (after testing completed)
    • General-> 'Min Display Time'-> 'adjust overlay fade delay'. This is how long each nickname appears (I prefer 3000 ms)
    • Colors-> Speaker-> name's color. The default green is hard to see over bright skies (I prefer dark blue).
    • 'Speaker Position'-> Top-Center (or wherever you prefer)

NOTE: the above changes take effect immediately (restarting CoD is not required).

I did those but every time I re start my PC I have to do it again, it's like it doesn't save my settings

any idea why?
    o7
    ((dB)) youTube Channel

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    16.32 MB

Check permissions for saving? Try to apply as "Admin"?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    839.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Decibel dB View Post
    I did those but every time I re start my PC I have to do it again, it's like it doesn't save my settings

any idea why?
    o7
    Yeah, this'll happen if you don't have write permissions to the C:\Users\<your_username>\AppData\Roaming\TSNotifie r\settings.ini file. Make sure it's not read-only, and that your account has write permissions (to the whole TSNotifier folder is best (and should normally be by default).
    Long Live Team Fusion.
    Long Live ATAG.
    How can I help?

Veteran Combat pilot 5./JG26_Peete's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

If it not work trough it away... pilots in ww2 had no little screen who was talking.. lissen at the voice and recon the man by looking ones or twice at ts window on desctop...

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    376.42 MB

It seam to have fixed it self, thanks guys for the reply's. Not you PEETE
    ((dB)) youTube Channel

Supporting Member Blade_Meister's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.48 GB

Turn,thanks so much. This is very clear and straight forward, perfect for a Grumpy Old Man!
    Worked first time through. With a little more training in SP and hopefully a Little instruction from one of the teachers here, I will be using this in MP soon. Thanks again for your time and patience in creating this fine tutorial.

S!Blade<><

Student Pilot 71st_AH_Gamecock (XR-G)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    370.91 MB

Thanks for sharing this was most helpful!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    951.48 MB

If TSNotifier doesn't work, could it have anything to do with screen resolution?

badfinger

League City, TX

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    839.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Blade_Meister View Post
    ...This is very clear and straight forward, perfect for a Grumpy Old Man! Worked first time through.....
    S!Blade<><
    Thanks for that feedback, Blade. That's useful to know. All the best!
    Long Live Team Fusion.
    Long Live ATAG.
    How can I help?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    376.42 MB

Quote Originally Posted by badfinger View Post
    If TSNotifier doesn't work, could it have anything to do with screen resolution?

badfinger
    I don't think that it's inter-connected.
    ((dB)) youTube Channel

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    351.65 MB

I have tried and followed all directions to a T as I am pc lit the program will not work at all ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    951.48 MB

Quote Originally Posted by METALEAGLE View Post
    I have tried and followed all directions to a T as I am pc lit the program will not work at all ?
    Welcome to the club. This add-on has been a complete mystery to me. I can't get it to work.

badfinger

League City, TX

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    88.77 MB

one easy way to get this working is to replace your TS files with those from a user who has it working properly with ts notifier installed. that's what I did and have had no issues with it

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    351.65 MB

Going to try overwolf on ts I think

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    839.4 KB

Sorry you're having problems, Metaleagle. The directions do work, but perhaps TSNotifier doesn't work on some PCs. I'm not sure how to help you, if you want help.

Quote Originally Posted by METALEAGLE View Post
    Long Live Team Fusion.
    Long Live ATAG.
    How can I help?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    951.48 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Dave View Post
    one easy way to get this working is to replace your TS files with those from a user who has it working properly with ts notifier installed. that's what I did and have had no issues with it
    Dave,

Could you possibly share your TS file with MATALEAGLE and myself? It may not work, but it is worth a shot.

Thanks,

badfinger

League City, TX

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    88.77 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 71st_AH_badfinger View Post
    Dave,

Could you possibly share your TS file with MATALEAGLE and myself? It may not work, but it is worth a shot.

Thanks,

badfinger
    No problem at all - see PM I just sent

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.21 MB

It isn't working for me, when I click to open the gamesettings.ini it doesn't open att all.

32. Likes No.119_Viper (VK-S) liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast