Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DCS: Spitfire Mk V/IX

Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

DCS: WWII: Spitfire Mk V / IX

By Yo-Yo

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?...12&postcount=1
    You think that Mk IX will make you an absolute winner?
    I have bad news for those who consider P-51 too stick sensitive and thus prone to stall...
    As Spitfire has neutral stability there is only 3/4" of stick travel to stall as it was reported by NACA. Really silk hands or full scale joystick required...
    It will be no mercy, hardcore only - all will be as Mitchell designed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    457.02 MB

Re: DCS: WWII: Spitfire Mk V / IX

Hmm - wouldn't have it any other way. There's going to be quite the learning curve here

Thanks for sharing, Silver_Dragon

"The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself". - Archibald Macleish

3. Likes Baffin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Silver_Dragon View Post
    Spitfire stick characteristics were changed in the middle of the production run of the Spitfire V.

Spit IX characteristics were quite different from the early Spit I/II/V.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

all will be as Mitchell designed.
    would be correct for the MKI/II, for the IX it should be how Joe Smith designed it, and should include the counterweight in elevator circuit which changed the stick characteristics

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Salute

As Bolox says, there was a re-design.

For Team Fusion release 4.0 we will model the characteristics of the early elevator, ie. a pilot will be able to generate enough G at higher speeds to cause structural damage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    184.7 KB

DCS is pretty generous about giving you structural failures for high speed turns. You have to learn to throttle back in dives if you like your wings.

P-51 range is kind of similar, about 1/4th your stick range for most maneuvers. You can put a curve on, bu at high speeds, you have to pull harder on the stick to achieve the same elevator authority. It's probably a lot more intuitive to fly with a FFB stick.

Fun, but it'll be a learning curve for sure.

Dutch

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_NakedSquirrel View Post
    DCS is pretty generous about giving you structural failures for high speed turns. You have to learn to throttle back in dives if you like your wings.

P-51 range is kind of similar, about 1/4th your stick range for most maneuvers. You can put a curve on, bu at high speeds, you have to pull harder on the stick to achieve the same elevator authority. It's probably a lot more intuitive to fly with a FFB stick.

Fun, but it'll be a learning curve for sure.
    The P-51 is fantastic with FFB, but the latest patch removed the stall buffet, which is a shame. The feedback forces from the control surfaces are still there though. But the sensitivity of control is definitely there in the P-51. If it's going to be more so in the Spits, bring it on. I love the sensitivity. It really tests your skill.

Or otherwise, as I found out last week when I ripped my wings off pulling out of a 450mph dive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Dutch View Post
    The P-51 is fantastic with FFB, but the latest patch removed the stall buffet, which is a shame. The feedback forces from the control surfaces are still there though. But the sensitivity of control is definitely there in the P-51. If it's going to be more so in the Spits, bring it on. I love the sensitivity. It really tests your skill.

Or otherwise, as I found out last week when I ripped my wings off pulling out of a 450mph dive.
    The P-51 was rated to 505 mph in a dive, and while you could not simply yank away on the stick, it was not as fragile as reputation makes it.

Most of the P-51's bad reputation came from instances where it was maneuvered hard when the aft cockpit extra fuel tank was full. In this case, the CoG was altered causing in effect, an oversensitive condition which could result easily in structural damage.

However, as clearly instructed in USAAF memos, P-51 pilots were instructed to burn the aft cockpit tank before any other fuel source, including the drop tanks on the wings. So in fact, the issues caused by a full aft cockpit tank would never be an issue in a normal combat mission.

The P-51 was considerably heavier built than a 109, and was comparable to a FW 190.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_NakedSquirrel View Post
    The P51 was rated as +8g/-4g for structural failure - the g meter in the cockpit records the highest loads reached for both as presumably the ground crew would have to check for structural failure if you came back in one piece after pushing past those levels. You probably won't be able to pull a 8g high speed turn though. You'll accelerate stall before hitting that load. I can get up to around 6.5g but start blacking out then if it's sustained. You can definitely hit it pretty easily pulling out of a high speed dive though and bad things can happen. Pushing past 505mph in a dive will potentially lead to bad things happening too - I've lost wings before.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Interesting.

Wouldn't the Spitfire Mk XIV a better option against the 109K and 190D?

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

If they made the MkIX able to use +25lb boost with 150 Octane fuel then it will be able to keep up. Although it's up to Yo-Yo I guess and they;'re hesitant to add 150 Octane fuel for the P51 because "it would upset the delicate balance between the mustang and dora" apparently, quoting Yo-Yo here btw.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

They should add Mk XIV.

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Hmm, I'm pretty sure I've pegged +8g in the DCS p-51. You don't need to see while flying, no sign posts up there to run into. The only damage I've ever suffered was a lost left aileron.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    17.61 MB

My favorite bent Mustang story.

Haslope.jpgHaslope2.jpg

Cheers!
    Last edited by Skoshi_Tiger; Oct-15-2013 at 10:26.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Tempered View Post
    Hmm, I'm pretty sure I've pegged +8g in the DCS p-51. You don't need to see while flying, no sign posts up there to run into. The only damage I've ever suffered was a lost left aileron.
    What happened to me a few times was that I went past 8g pulling out from a dive ok without any visible damage. But it must have damaged the plane structurally as when I tried to repeat the maneuver my wing came off well before 8g.

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Foul Ole Ron View Post
    What happened to me a few times was that I went past 8g pulling out from a dive ok without any visible damage. But it must have damaged the plane structurally as when I tried to repeat the maneuver my wing came off well before 8g.
    Does that kind of thing show up in the after action report with the other damage listed? I've never noticed any kind of structural failure message. Now I'm going to have to test for it, dang it

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Not 100% sure but I don't think it shows it. I wasn't really testing that stuff out either but I'm pretty sure they came off before the structural limits so I presumed it must have been damage from stressing it too much before. Maybe there was some other factor at play though. Think I might have to have a go myself now!

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Silver_Dragon View Post
    Something I was saying for years about ridiculus elevator characteristic model in sims... "too hard for casual player to control". Yeah, I say frak them.

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by 322SQN_Dusty View Post
    Interesting.

Wouldn't the Spitfire Mk XIV a better option against the 109K and 190D?
    Probably so, they all appeared at about the same time in NW Europe in the automn of 1944, still, IXs were the most numerous by far till the end. Though I can see some game design concept presenting the player with very different planes. The IX would give you a slow but very good turning plane, pretty much the Yak 3... the XIV otoh would just basically give you the 109K with RAF roundels.

Supporting Member 9./JG26_Brigg's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    2.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by VO101_Kurfurst View Post
    Probably so, they all appeared at about the same time in NW Europe in the automn of 1944, still, IXs were the most numerous by far till the end. Though I can see some game design concept presenting the player with very different planes. The IX would give you a slow but very good turning plane, pretty much the Yak 3... the XIV otoh would just basically give you the 109K with RAF roundels.
    if it is the mk ix then it has got to be the 25lbs boost version. as for the mk xiv just being a k4 with roundels, i dont think so sir the mk xiv would turn inside your k4 all day long.
    Asus RE4, i7 4820k@4.5, 16gb kingston hyperx, gtx 980, 480gb samsung 840 evo for win10 + games, full custom loop, warthog hotas, saitek pedals, asus rog swift and because that is how i roll.

Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

DCS: Spitfire Mk V/IX

First external render of the Spitfire IX, editor software, no DCS: World engine yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    383.91 MB

Re: DCS: Spitfire Mk V/IX

That is amazing! Can't wait for the IX.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    2.91 MB

If its for real, it looks amazing!
    i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz | nVidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB DDR4 RAM | Windows 11 Pro

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I think that's a Duxford shot of a real plane someone is pulling our legs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    49.77 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Mastiff View Post
    the props wouldnt be so shiny then and the tires would settle onto the ground. right now it looks like it's hovering a fraction of an inch above the ground.
    ASUS Maximus VII HERO, i7 4790k@4GHz, eVGA GTX 980SC, 650W be quiet! Dark Power pro 10, 128GB SSD Samsung 850 pro

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    34.56 MB

hmm..the shallow depth of field doesn't look like a game render, unless there is some Photoshopping of course.
    SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive. SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.
    OCULUS Rift CV1
    Windows 10 Professional

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    17.61 MB

I think I'll need a bigger computer!
    In the past, aggressive Australian patrols have caused the enemy great embarrassment by unremittingly harassing his line of communications, destroying his dumps, and generally indulging in a "spot of bastardry." – Notes for Platoon & Section Leaders distributed to Allied Land Forces in SouthWest Pacific Area-Operations 1943.

29. Likes farley liked this post
    Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Mastiff View Post

Wherever that is or whatever that is; it sure ain't Duxford with that hill in the background!

Supporting Member No.401_Alpine's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    116.59 MB

I think that it's a plastic model.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    447.92 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Arthursmedley View Post
    Wherever that is or whatever that is; it sure ain't Duxford with that hill in the background!
    Beat me to it!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast