Thread: Is my cpu bottlenecking?

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Is my cpu bottlenecking?

I am getting stutters when playing online (but not offline) and msi afterburner shows that my cpu core 4 is hitting 100% at the point of stuttering and running at 90%+ the rest of the time. Is this normal? Is my cpu bottle necking my system? Core 1 runs at 10-15% and the remaining two cores run around 5%.

My system specs:

I5 3570k @ 3.8GHz
    msi z77a-gd55 Mobo
    8GB 1600hz HyperC Beast RAM
    ASUS GTX 770 2GB OC'd to 1250Hz

I am running the game at high settings with shadows and water low, no heat blur, no HDR, MSAA at 2x, no tree shadows, no TSAA, VSync on and preload radius to max. The cores are unparked.

What is the most effective way to reduce cpu usage without diminishing gameplay?

I have just bought a cooler master hyper 212 ego and so was planning on installing that tomorrow with the hope of overclocking the cpu to around 4.5GHz. Will this help alleviate the problem?

Gary

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Re: Is my cpu bottlenecking?

Yes, DCS does not make use of more than 1 core, so it is bottlenecking (you're not alone here).

The best thing is to set visibility distance to medium. Everything else you can set to high without much penalty, so enjoy your tree shadows and a higher AA setting.

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Re: Is my cpu bottlenecking?

I have done some testing with. 4.5GHz OC and it is a different game. The huge stutters are completely gone. The game still has the odd stutter when loading scenery down low but I hope that putting dcs on an SSD will solve that. Now the game runs at 75-85% on core 4 and so far has peaked at 95%.

If anyone is thinking of overclocking to get more out of dcs then I recommend it.

Finally I can fly the Mustang online without a slide show!!

Gary

4. Likes Mastiff liked this post