Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bf-110 fighter flying - an approach

Manual Creation Group ATAG_Ezzie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

Re: Bf-110 fighter flying - an approach

Managed to more or less break even in my trusty 110 this month (ie same number of kills as number of times shot down) by sticking to my game plan as discussed above. Satisfying even though the total number of kills wasnt all that high as almost all sorties involved contact with enemy/shooting my guns at something and about a third of my landings were on one engine after taking damage from enemy fighters.

Nov 15.JPG

Interesting observation re my AI gunner - he got 3 kills that i saw first hand and possibly got good hits on another 2 - 5. But i couldnt figure out any pattern to his performance - some sorties he was quite accurate from his first burst but on others he couldnt hit Spits sitting 50m behind me on my six. Not sure why this is and would be nice to figure out the conditions in which he does well and then be able to replicate them. Anyone got any ideas?

Anyway, just waving the flag for the 110 in case there are people considering flying it but are put off by its undeserved death trap reputation. Usual caveat though - its not for everyone but if you are patient, like stalking/shooting down better performing prey and dont mind running away when things dont quite work out then maybe give it a go and see how you find it?

I'm more than happy to answer questions if anyone has any re flying the 110 and am always on the look out for new ideas re flying the 110 successfully if anyone has any to share.

Ezzie

2. Likes ATAG_Dave, b0czek, Gromit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.61 GB

Something interesting I found today in the 110. I manged to set an AI Hurricane on fire from at least 1000m away, with all realism options except 'No AI control', 'Cannot switch position', and 'No external views' checked. I was only using my cannons, spraying at the area around him, and a lucky shot set what looked like his tail on fire. I've never gotten a kill at such long range before.

Also, Ezzie... impressive... most impressive.
    Author of the Their Finest Hour, Their Greatest Challenge, Desert Hawks, Eagles over Tobruk, On Ne Passe Pas!, and Rising from the Ashes campaigns for Cliffs of Dover Blitz and Desert Wings - Tobruk.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

Due to some good luck and some much appreciated help on several occasions from my blue team mates i managed to do OK this month flying the -110 (I'm away from home for a few days so wont be flying again this month hence posting this today)

Feb_16.JPG

Many players dont take much notice of stats and its not necessarily a good way to judge fun/competence/mission-mindedness etc. But for those of you that do and feel you have to fly the best performing aircraft to do OK score-wise then maybe this might encourage some of you to try your hand at lesser performing aircraft perhaps?

COD developers and TF have given us a wide range of aircraft to fly and we dont all have to only fly the best performing ones in my opinion to have fun and be competitive (if that's what your goals are). But maybe it's just me and a few other -110, Hurricane and bomber pilots who think this way?

The -110 is not everyone's cup of tea but it is a lot of fun and its very satisfying to be able to fly it relatively effectively online. Shooting down Spits and Hurricanes with one burst in one pass at high speed never gets old for me. Being easily shot down in low level furballs does for me however......

I'll stop waving the flag for the -110 now but if anyone is interested in flying it and wants to learn more about it then please let me know.

Ezzie

PS This game is a great leveller and the law of averages suggest i will be shot down like a squealing pig more than a few times next month.....

5. Likes ATAG_Freya liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,002.26 MB

Horrido!!!!
    Well done Flieger by...an addicted Bf 110 user...
    Excellent skills indeed!!!
    Visit the Robert Mölders Facebook Group ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    Visit the Robert Mölders YouTube Channel ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    *Important Note: You can also open the Robert Mölders Facebook Group page by clicking directly on my signature image

My PC specs
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit ~ Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz 8MB Cache Quad core
    ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING Motherboard, Socket 1151 ATX, Dual M.2, USB 3.1 Type-C ~ MSI GeForce GTX 1080 TI Gaming X 11G Graphic Card PCIE 3.0, 11 GB, GDDR5X 352 bit, 11.01 GHz, 1569 MHz
    Samsung MZ-V6E250BW SSD 960 EVO, 250 GB, M.2, NVMe ~ Western Digital WD Caviar Blue 2TB 64MB Cache, WD20EZRZ (64MB Cache) ~ Enermax Liqmax II 240 (ELC-LMR240S-BS)
    Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX RAM 16 GB, 2x8 GB, DDR4, 3000 MHz, CL15 ~ EVGA SuperNOVA GQ PSU 750W ~ NZXT CA-N450W-M1 Case for Gaming PC, Black
    LG 49UK6200PLA TV 49" 4K UltraHD, IPS Display, 4096 x 2160, Active HDR, Multitasking ~ LG 27UD68P Monitor 27" 4K UltraHD LED IPS, 3840 x 2160, AMD FreeSync, Multitasking
    Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Joystick ~ Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle ~ Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

Been practicing my rear gunnery over the last couple of months with ok results so I thought I would share some observations/ideas etc for prospective 110 flyers as well as seeng what other 110 flyers think.

Firstly my set up - I have it set up so I can still fly my aircraft using the joy stick while manning the rear gun using mouse to move gun and main joystick trigger firing the gun. I can't remember how I did this but it wasn't hard to do.

I have my convergence set to 500m but have no idea if it does anything for a single gun. For my load out I have a mix of tracer ( the reason why later on) and hart ammo. - I think this is an AP type but haven't spent much time researching it as it seems to do the job ok.

I'm a high flyer - or lurker as Willy said recently - looking to surprise unsuspecting red fighters as described in the earlier posts. Sometimes the bounces don't quite work and I end up with an angry Spit on my tail. Initially I will usually have a 3-4 km separation with him in trail but eventually a well flown spit will close to guns range. And this is where doing ones own rear gunnery comes into play as my AI gunner isn't the best aimer as many of us know.

One of the keys in my approach is to keep my airspeed as high as possible ( without busting rads etc) as this reduces the Spits rate of closure and gives me more time to hit him. My aim is to vent him (water or oil) as I then know he only has a finite time before he bleeds out. If I get him early enough and then push my engines and do some manoeuvring he won't be able to close to his effective guns range before his engine goes kaput. That's my plan.

As he closes in slowly he's invariably on my dead six or thereabouts. So he has a slow rate of closure and I don't have to worry too much about deflection. I start firing at long range 500m ish and in an odd way I have a slight advantage here - my single gun will hit him at 500m but if he shoots then his convergence (seems like most reds use 200m or less) makes it harder for him to hit me accurately. Using tracer and firing short bursts initially I can figure out where to put the sight and then once I've done this I can increase the burst length. The slow rate of closure means I have enough time for several magazines into him before he gets close to his convergent range as long as I keep my speed up. I can sometimes tell when my bullets hit him because he will start spraying from long range in reply which lets me know I'm on tgt.

But if I don't get him vented early, once he closes to his convergence range I'm in big trouble and while I can usually get him vented he will almost always badly damage me and I will go down. And there's an increased risk of being PK'd when I'm sitting in the back. And once he's close he can make big changes in direction (up down left right) which makes it a lot harder for me track him with my gun.

So that's basically my approach - keep my airspeed as high as possible to reduce his rate of closure, fire short bursts with tracer to work out aim point and then fire sustained bursts as he closes to his gun range. Once he's vented jump back in the front seat ( returning control of the rear gun to the AI) and fly the aircraft defensively while he bleeds out. I've found this to be a reasonably effective approach and rear gunnery is fun. Most times I can vent my attacker and sometimes I manage to do this without him damaging me and I live to fight another day. But the other times often end badly for me.

Be interested in any other ideas/thoughts from other flyers who do their own rear gunnery. There are some excellent Blenny gunners who might also like to share their secret - maybe?

Ezzie

8. Likes N/A, QB.Creep liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

One thing the 110 has going for it is concentrated firepower. This is what a 1 sec burst can do on a Spit - not often they burn like a disco inferno but this one did. Nice.....

Machine gun failure
    Machine gun line damaged
    Machine gun line damaged
    Machine gun line damaged
    Machine gun line damaged
    Flaps failure
    Electrical generator damaged
    Illumination failure
    Pneumatics hose perforated
    Cockpit damage
    Cockpit damage
    Engine damage
    Engine damage
    Engine damage
    Engine water cooling damage
    Engine damage
    Engine damage
    Engine damage
    Engine damage
    Fuel tank tiny leak
    Machine gun line damaged
    Machine gun line damaged
    Machine gun line damaged
    Machine gun line damaged
    Flaps failure
    Electrical battery damaged
    Pneumatics container perforated
    Elevator disabled
    Rudder disabled
    Fuel tank small leak
    Fuel tank large leak
    Fuel tank set on fire
    Cockpit damage
    Controls generic damage
    Ailerons disabled

5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

SOLD to the former sh1t spitfire pilot with the dubious allegiances.....!!

been looking at the 110 for a couple of months and all the abo e has more or less sold me on taking the time to learn it properly.

currently i ha e a problem with my keyboard (a missing letter) which will be or some hinderange to my stereotype dri en cod german howe er but, this aside, Baron on Boogledog is on his way accross the channel!

Regards

BOO
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

" Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Moaning post - deleted!
    Last edited by BOO; Aug-07-2016 at 16:39.
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Boosterdog View Post
    SOLD to the former sh1t spitfire pilot with the dubious allegiances.....!!

been looking at the 110 for a couple of months and all the abo e has more or less sold me on taking the time to learn it properly.

currently i ha e a problem with my keyboard (a missing letter) which will be or some hinderange to my stereotype dri en cod german howe er but, this aside, Baron on Boogledog is on his way accross the channel!

Regards

BOO
    Look fwd to seeing you out and about in the 110 Boo. It takes time and patience but it's extremely satisfying when it all comes together and you start getting regular kills without being easy meat. Hopefully some of what I have written helps you.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Ezzie

13. Likes BOO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    226.63 MB

Looking at the net stats when I enter the game as I always do and knowing how many of the luftwaffe pilots prefer to fly in certain ways I always look for trade, hard, ezzie and keller to see if they are in 110s. I then advise my squad be aware death lurks above in the 20k area 110s flown by smart pilots are about. If you are in hurricanes don't bother trying to catch them check there heading if it is north fly west or east and climb they have to come back this way and you can cut them off if headed east don't follow they are just leading you to their friends. If on the french map don't follow north or northeast and check your high 6 all the time these guy see you a long way out and plan an attack so stay frosty they hit and run and will set you up for their partner if together.

The 110 is in my opinion like an A-10 pure hell if it can get its nose around on you and a good climber if it has energy going into the fight when used like these guys use it a deadly foe not to be taken lightly. Great tutorial Ezzie watching for you <S> Fatal
    i7 2700 ,32 gigs, 4 ssd's ,1 7200rpm 2terabyte,1 samsung 55 display,2 mfd's,EDTRACKER,Warthog ,X55 stick, 7inch liliput monitor in mfd's 21 I-inc secondary display for instruments using virtual cockpit
    [*]iustus facere unus[*] JUST MAKE ONE ( FATAL ERROR) Commander TWC http://twcpilots.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by TWC_Fatal_Error View Post
    Looking at the net stats when I enter the game as I always do and knowing how many of the luftwaffe pilots prefer to fly in certain ways I always look for trade, hard, ezzie and keller to see if they are in 110s. I then advise my squad be aware death lurks above in the 20k area 110s flown by smart pilots are about. If you are in hurricanes don't bother trying to catch them check there heading if it is north fly west or east and climb they have to come back this way and you can cut them off if headed east don't follow they are just leading you to their friends. If on the french map don't follow north or northeast and check your high 6 all the time these guy see you a long way out and plan an attack so stay frosty they hit and run and will set you up for their partner if together.

The 110 is in my opinion like an A-10 pure hell if it can get its nose around on you and a good climber if it has energy going into the fight when used like these guys use it a deadly foe not to be taken lightly. Great tutorial Ezzie watching for you <S> Fatal
    Thanks Fatal - appreciate the positive words.

TWC squad members are on my 'be careful list' when they are on the server. Very good teamwork usually and hard to sneak up on. On the weekend after I tried to bounce one of them (he checked his 6 just in time) he chased me all the way from Dover to the Abbeville area - very persistent. Luckily I managed to fend him off with my rear gun but not many players will chase me for that long.

Interesting you mentioned the A-10. Seems TF5.0 will be introducing the Bf-110 C-6 variant which I think has a 30 mm fitted. Be interesting to see how that goes bouncing Spitfires.....

http://www.hyperscale.com/2013/revie...reviewdw_1.htm

Ezzie
    Last edited by ATAG_Ezzie; Aug-09-2016 at 03:31.

16. Likes invictus84 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by III./ZG76_Ezzie View Post
    Seems TF5.0 will be introducing the Bf-110 C-6 variant which I think has a 30 mm fitted. Be interesting to see how that goes bouncing Spitfires.....
    Ezzie
    Will it be drum-fed (30 rounds) or magazine-fed (6 rounds)?
    "...Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me..." Psalm 22

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    155.92 MB

IMO you're just going to cut your own flesh going on the hunt with that thing. It was developed as an anti-tank & anti-shipping weapon and not with air-to-air combat in mind.

It adds 139kg of additional weight (ammunition not accounted for).
    It comes in a conformal gunpod that adds drag.
    It's very limited ammo capacity-wise (6 - 30 rounds depending on magazine/drum size, though the 110C only seemed to have used small magazines).
    It has a poor rate of fire (230 - 260 rounds per minute), half that of the MG FF & FF/M. And that's not even accounting for the time it takes to swap the small clip magazines!

All things considered the ordinary 20mm loadout seems much more useful in air combat. Sure the Mk101 has a great punch and might make an interesting bomber interception weapon but against any fighter sized target it simply seems impractical.

Technische Angaben Mk101.jpg

Initial velocity v0:
    M-Geschoß (mine shell): 900 m/s
    Sprenggranate (HE): 800 m/s
    Panzersprenggranate (APHE): 725 m/s

Rate of fire 230 - 260 rounds/min

1. Weights:
    Weight of the Mk101 complete: 139 kg
    Weight of the Mk101 with 6 round magazine: 152 kg
    Weight of the Mk101 with 30 round drum: 185 kg
    Weight of the barrel including muzzle brake: 43,8 kg
    Weight of the round / the projectile
    with M-Geschoßpatrone L'spur: 0,778 kg / 330g
    with Sprenggranatpatrone L'spur: 0,885 kg / 440g
    with Panzersprenggranatpatrone L'spur: 0,936 kg / 500g
    of the shell casing: 0,320 kg

2. Dimensions:
    Calibre of the Mk101: 30+0,1mm
    Length of the weapon including muzzle brake: 2592 mm
    Length of the barrel: 1350 mm
    Length of the rifled part: 1160 mm
    Length of the spin: 632 mm
    Length of the recoil spring: 1060-160 mm
    Firing pin protrusion: 1,5+0,8 mm
    Electric operating voltage: 22 - 29 V
    Current drain during chambering: ~3 A
    Current draing while shooting: 20 A
    Chambering time: 1 sec
    Compressed air pressure for chambering: 27 - 35 atm
    Last edited by Karaya; Oct-03-2016 at 10:19.

19. Likes Cybermat47 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

Note for the record for fellow 110 flyers - landing with disabled elevators.

For those who are unaware (as was i untl 30 minutes ago) it is possible to successfully do a wheels and flap down landing in the -110 using trim alone. My elevator was disabled on a recent sortie and both my engines were badly damaged and only able to idle but just before i bailed i checked and i still had elevator trim control plus rudder and ailerons.

I was curious to see if i could land using trim alone so gave it a shot.

If you keep your speed at 200 and put flaps and wheels down later in your approach than normal it seems you can land ok as long as u dont get much below 200 as you go over the threshhold. I wasnt able to flare using trim so the landing was rough and i bounced several times but turned out ok in the end.

Anyway thought i would share this with other -110'ers in case they find themselves in a similar situation.

Ezzie

21. Likes ATAG_Pattle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

Note for the record for fellow -110 flyers - runnng away from Spitfires.

Another tactical note for any -110 flyers interested in making it difficult for Spitfires to shoot u down.

So you've just done a high speed diving bounce on a pair of Spitfires at ~4k alt and made a mess of #2 who is now out of the fight. There's a really good chance #1 is very peeved and out for revenge. So what do you do?

Option 1 is to convert your speed to altitude and turn back on #1 and try and get him while he's trying to figure out where u are. Ive tried this a few times but am usually not good enough to hit him as he can easily outturn me and very soon after he usually has the advantage and hurts me and my nice machine.

Option #2 is to blow thru the formation and put your engines at the 30 min settings, settle into a slight climb and trim out your aircraft as best u can. What usually then happens is the Spit will end up on your 6 at about 3-5 km and the chase will commence.

If you fly the -110 correctly u can make this a very long chase for the Spit. Keys are to maintain a slow ROC up to at least 5k alt (FTH is around this altitude), kerp trimmng your aircraft and watch your temps. The key temp is the left hand engine oil temp (the guage on the engine) - dont let this get to 95. So by changing your engine rpm and ata settings (you are flying manual mode to get the best out of the engine) and oil radiator you can ride the temps and keep your speed up. Ive been able to maintain ~420 kph in a shallow climb indefinetly using this method.

Often after about 10 mins the Spit will give up and/or some of your friends have arrived to help. But sometimes you will get a persistant Spit or 2 who will keep following and eventually - if they know how to work the Spit engine- they will close to less than a km and experienced ones will close you at your low 6 below your gun arc. So, what to do now?

Ive found via trial and error that by then putting the aircaft is a slightly higher ROC (~2.5 on the dial) makes it tricky for these Spits on your low 6. To get thir guns on you they have to put their airftsft in a steeper attitude than yours and will then lose airspeed and fall behind. By this stage you should be in your rear gun watching them and as they climb to shoot turn the aircraft left or right to mess their aim. And hopefully they will end up in your six in a nose up attitude showing their pretty belly with slow relative airspeed - good tgt for your rear gun loaded with lots of tracer and hart ammo.

This doesnt always work and there are some very good Spit pilots who can still shoot me down easily even when i do the above. But in my rxperience the above is more successful - for me at least- than trying to turn with Spits or diving to the deck. Counterintuitively, climbing in a -110 is better than diving when being chased by Spitfires.

Hope this is useful for other -110 pilots. Its by no means the only way to deal with angry Spits so if anyone else has some good tactics then pls post so we can share the good oil.

Ezzie

23. Likes Silent135, ATAG_Pattle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    155.92 MB

Quote Originally Posted by III./ZG76_Ezzie View Post
    So you've just done a high speed diving bounce on a pair of Spitfires at ~4k alt and made a mess of #2 who is now out of the fight. There's a really good chance #1 is very peeved and out for revenge. So what do you do?

Option 1 is to convert your speed to altitude and turn back on #1 and try and get him while he's trying to figure out where u are. Ive tried this a few times but am usually not good enough to hit him as he can easily outturn me and very soon after he usually has the advantage and hurts me and my nice machine.
    This in my experience pretty much only works if the #1 was oblivious to the attack to begin with or if he lost you in the zoom climb. Anybody worth their salt however will make it nearly impossible for you to hit them when you come diving down again, especially if they force you to add a rolling element which the 110 certainly isn't very good at. Then when you're done with that the Spit is usually in a position where your only option is to try and disengage as you do not have the E advantage anymore to risk another attack without getting peppered as well.

What has reliably kept me alive whenever I was flying the Bf110 was having 109s around me who can bounce any enemies that decide to give chase. The 109s force them to break which allows me to turn around and have a go with guns myself, often times with devastating results. There are definitely more seasoned Bf110 pilots round here than me however, also I haven't yet mastered the dark art of inverted Y-axis mouse gunnery so I normally leave the AI to it.

Anyways, here's my shameless video plug of 2 sorties I had in the Bf110C-4/N just recently. Both were cut short however because I was a) rammed and b) shot by 109s - in that order

25. Likes baronWastelan, ATAG_Pattle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    50.51 MB

Ezzie, you snuck up on me and killed me the other day while I was setting my compass in my delicate Spitfire! I thought you were an excellent pilot, and you taught me that Tab 7 1 doesn't detect the Zerstörer!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Quote Originally Posted by SharkBait View Post
    Ezzie, you snuck up on me and killed me the other day while I was setting my compass in my delicate Spitfire! I thought you were an excellent pilot, and you taught me that Tab 7 1 doesn't detect the Zerstörer!
    He'd have snuck up on you long before you started adjusting your compass!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    50.51 MB

Yes... check six!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    System Specs || CPU: Intel i5-4690k 3.5 GHz Quad-core / GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 G1 Gaming 6GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 4GB x 2 / SSD: Samsung Evo 850 500GB and PNY 240GB / OS: Windows 10 Pro
    Flight Equipment || Stick: Logitech Extreme 3D Pro / Throttle: CH Pro Throttle / Pedals: MFG Crosswind / View: Track IR 5

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by SharkBait View Post
    Thanks Sharkbait.

As some guy called Clausewitz said - i think he might have been one of my many dead gunners - 'Suprise lies at the root of all military activity without exception'. He might be onto something....

Ezzie
    Last edited by ATAG_Ezzie; Mar-15-2017 at 04:00.

30. Likes SharkBait liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by JG4_Karaya View Post
    This in my experience pretty much only works if the #1 was oblivious to the attack to begin with or if he lost you in the zoom climb. Anybody worth their salt however will make it nearly impossible for you to hit them when you come diving down again, especially if they force you to add a rolling element which the 110 certainly isn't very good at. Then when you're done with that the Spit is usually in a position where your only option is to try and disengage as you do not have the E advantage anymore to risk another attack without getting peppered as well.

What has reliably kept me alive whenever I was flying the Bf110 was having 109s around me who can bounce any enemies that decide to give chase. The 109s force them to break which allows me to turn around and have a go with guns myself, often times with devastating results. There are definitely more seasoned Bf110 pilots round here than me however, also I haven't yet mastered the dark art of inverted Y-axis mouse gunnery so I normally leave the AI to it.

Anyways, here's my shameless video plug of 2 sorties I had in the Bf110C-4/N just recently. Both were cut short however because I was a) rammed and b) shot by 109s - in that order

Excellent flying as always Karaya - thanks for sharing.

Recently ive tried more dogfighting rather than just doing 1 pass and running off if i miss. But doing so has exposed my limitations as a dogfighter as well as the -110's lack of manoevaribility once E drops off. As you say most competent flyers will mske it very hard to get them on the second pass unless i get lucky with a long range big deflection shot. But im getting plenty of back seat gunnery practice as a result....

Ezzie

32. Likes Karaya liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    374.72 MB

Hey Ezzie,

Karaya is spot on re winging up with a 109. The two times we have flown together, whether I was in. G50 or 109 have gone pretty well and proven very effective

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    213.59 MB

Smile Re: Bf-110 fighter flying - an approach

Good to know some of your tactics Ezzie, see you on Sunday?

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by JG4_Karaya View Post

You can alter a text file to make the y-axis no longer inverted. It's worth it unless you don't have a headtracking program.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.61 GB

With Tobruk on the way, I guess the question is, how will the 110 do against the Kittyhawk?
    Author of the Their Finest Hour, Their Greatest Challenge, Desert Hawks, Eagles over Tobruk, On Ne Passe Pas!, and Rising from the Ashes campaigns for Cliffs of Dover Blitz and Desert Wings - Tobruk.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Pattle View Post
    Hey Ezzie,

Karaya is spot on re winging up with a 109. The two times we have flown together, whether I was in. G50 or 109 have gone pretty well and proven very effective
    Yeah i agree Pattle. Some people get fixated on shooting the -110 and dont keep an eye out for the other single enginned fighter coming in on their 6.

Ezzie

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Maru View Post
    Good to know some of your tactics Ezzie, see you on Sunday?

Hopefully i will see you first Maru!!

See u Sunday.

Ezzie

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Cybermat47 View Post
    With Tobruk on the way, I guess the question is, how will the 110 do against the Kittyhawk?
    Yeah that will be interesting Cybermat. In the early days of the desert war the -110 was the only Luftwaffe fighter in North Africa till about March 41 and it seems honours were realtively even with the RAF/Commonwealth Hurricanes and Gladiators. Tomahawks started arriving a bit later in the year but i cant recall how they went against the -110. By that stage the -109s had arrived and were causing all sorts of issues for the RAF/Commonwealth so there may not have been too much -110 v fighter action. But i could be wrong.

Based on Buzz's summary of the Kittyhawk i'm thinking that the -110 will be about as fast or maybe a tad faster at high altitude and in most other respects will be inferior except firepower and range.

Will also be interesting to see how Beaufighter goes against -109s.

Ezzie

Mountains of Bulgaria, beaches of Spain and Italy, UK when I have to
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    246.12 MB

Hi Ezzie,

I was in a C4 on my way across the channel to join you and Kennedy last night, but I got a bounce opportunity that was too good to pass....

The bounce went well until the point I stopped firing and pulled off. Basically, I was too fast and had got too close, the controls weren't responding and I ripped my wing off after colliding with the Spit I bounced....Sorry, whoever that was

After that, I got more bounce opportunities and I thought "ok, got to keep the speed under control". Problem with that is, I ended up on their six only to find they were pulling away from me, forcing me to abort the attack. It's tricky getting the attack speed right, I'm finding.

The 110 is growing on me and I like your approach too. I did have a couple of successful passes using your method. I definitely wouldn't want to be dogfighting in it though.

Anyway, I'll look out for you on comms next time I fancy taking a 110 up.

My not so expensive COD rig:
    Windows 7 64 bit
    ASRock b75m r2 motherboard - new
    Intel Core i5 3570 @ 3.4ghz - used
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4GB - used
    8gb Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600 ram - new
    Samsung 250gb 850 EVO ssd - new
    EVGA 500 B power supply - new
    Thrustmaster T16000m stick - new
    EDTracker - used / DELAN CLIP PS3 CAMERA - new
    CH Gameport Pro Pedals - used

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.61 GB

Hmm, all this time later, and I'm still only finding real success in the Bf-110 as a bomber destroyer, ground attacker, and picking off aircraft on the ground - and this is against the AI.

Meanwhile, you're shooting down scores of other Human pilots in fighters with the Bf-110.

I can just tell that I'm going to boot up Battle of Kuban one day, decide to give multiplayer a spin, and you shoot me down with a 110 G-2 with the 37mm AT gun

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast