Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bf-110 fighter flying - an approach

Mountains of Bulgaria, beaches of Spain and Italy, UK when I have to
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    246.12 MB

Re: Bf-110 fighter flying - an approach

I'm not sure about other servers, but on ATAG the 110 is effectively a stealth fighter. It's not detected on radar and this is a huge advantage if you know how and where to position yourself.

Maybe the AI you fight are better at checking their sixes than real pilots

My not so expensive COD rig:
    Windows 7 64 bit
    ASRock b75m r2 motherboard - new
    Intel Core i5 3570 @ 3.4ghz - used
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4GB - used
    8gb Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600 ram - new
    Samsung 250gb 850 EVO ssd - new
    EVGA 500 B power supply - new
    Thrustmaster T16000m stick - new
    EDTracker - used / DELAN CLIP PS3 CAMERA - new
    CH Gameport Pro Pedals - used

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.61 GB

Quote Originally Posted by Prey Stalker View Post
    I'm not sure about other servers, but on ATAG the 110 is effectively a stealth fighter. It's not detected on radar and this is a huge advantage if you know how and where to position yourself.

Maybe the AI you fight are better at checking their sixes than real pilots

That wouldn't surprise me at all... I swear they can see through their planes...

Good thing it doesn't do them much good on the ground

Hmm... I'm getting some ideas for a new mission to create...
    Author of the Their Finest Hour, Their Greatest Challenge, Desert Hawks, Eagles over Tobruk, On Ne Passe Pas!, and Rising from the Ashes campaigns for Cliffs of Dover Blitz and Desert Wings - Tobruk.

Mountains of Bulgaria, beaches of Spain and Italy, UK when I have to
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    246.12 MB

Might interest you to know that I made a quick mission to practice bounce attacks. I start above and behind the enemy and I found that I had to turn the AI skill level down a couple of levels or they would spot my attack every time...

Just thought you should know, AI probably can see through the plane and shoot through it !

My not so expensive COD rig:
    Windows 7 64 bit
    ASRock b75m r2 motherboard - new
    Intel Core i5 3570 @ 3.4ghz - used
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4GB - used
    8gb Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600 ram - new
    Samsung 250gb 850 EVO ssd - new
    EVGA 500 B power supply - new
    Thrustmaster T16000m stick - new
    EDTracker - used / DELAN CLIP PS3 CAMERA - new
    CH Gameport Pro Pedals - used

Manual Creation Group ATAG_Ezzie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

Hi Ezzie,

I was in a C4 on my way across the channel to join you and Kennedy last night, but I got a bounce opportunity that was too good to pass....

The bounce went well until the point I stopped firing and pulled off. Basically, I was too fast and had got too close, the controls weren't responding and I ripped my wing off after colliding with the Spit I bounced....Sorry, whoever that was

After that, I got more bounce opportunities and I thought "ok, got to keep the speed under control". Problem with that is, I ended up on their six only to find they were pulling away from me, forcing me to abort the attack. It's tricky getting the attack speed right, I'm finding.

The 110 is growing on me and I like your approach too. I did have a couple of successful passes using your method. I definitely wouldn't want to be dogfighting in it though.

Anyway, I'll look out for you on comms next time I fancy taking a 110 up.

Hey Prey Stalker - great to see you are spending some time in the -110. Its a different type of 'combat' with different challenges but lots of fun and very satisfying.

Re speed - yeah this is prob the hardest thing i find and even as recently as last weekend i did pretty much what you did. For me its a combination of tgt fixation/trying to get the perfect shot and too great an altitude differential between my tgt and myself. If im at 6k ill try and wait until the tgt has climbed to 4k before diving. Any more than 2k and my speed becomes too high and i either cant get my sight on the tgt as the rudder stops being effective or i ram them. All good fun though if sometimes annoying when i ram someone by mistake.

Re dogfighting - last couple of months ive been trying to get another pass in by zooming up after a pass and re-attacking. Sometimes it goes ok but sometimes it doesnt and all i end up doing is giving away my speed/energy advantage which often ends in tears.....

Anytime you want to join up let me know. Kennedy and i have had some good sorties lately so the more the merrier.

Ezzie

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Cybermat47 View Post
    Hmm, all this time later, and I'm still only finding real success in the Bf-110 as a bomber destroyer, ground attacker, and picking off aircraft on the ground - and this is against the AI.

Meanwhile, you're shooting down scores of other Human pilots in fighters with the Bf-110.

I can just tell that I'm going to boot up Battle of Kuban one day, decide to give multiplayer a spin, and you shoot me down with a 110 G-2 with the 37mm AT gun

Hey Cybermat - im not sure about scores. 1 per sortie is about where i am at with hopefully no deaths/shootdowns for me.

Stick with it - good fun

Ezzie

6. Likes 9./JG52 Kettarian_Fox liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

Might interest you to know that I made a quick mission to practice bounce attacks. I start above and behind the enemy and I found that I had to turn the AI skill level down a couple of levels or they would spot my attack every time...

Just thought you should know, AI probably can see through the plane and shoot through it !

I practice gunnery using one of the quick missions (change the 109 to 110) and ive found thst the AI knows when your sight is just about to get on them within range on the longer range shots. Time and time again they will move just as im about to pull the trigger as the sight settles on them. Its not all the time but usually one or 2 of them will.

Might just be my perception / excuse though to explain away why i miss sometimes though.

Ezzie

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.61 GB

Finally got that AI

And then the AI got me, and I had to ditch in the channel :|
    Author of the Their Finest Hour, Their Greatest Challenge, Desert Hawks, Eagles over Tobruk, On Ne Passe Pas!, and Rising from the Ashes campaigns for Cliffs of Dover Blitz and Desert Wings - Tobruk.

9. Likes PreyStalker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    121.95 MB

Found this thread a few weeks ago and thought, 'Maybe I should give the Bf110 a go as a heavy fighter?'

Well, I have given it many goes now, and I have to say I am liking it.
    Not entirely sure what it is about it: the concentrated firepower, 'radar invisibility', or the ability to defend oneself from the rear (albeit with a popgun). Probably all three!

Can't wait for the 110 improvements with TF4.5 - maybe we will get a few more Zerstorer pilots...

"Speed is life. Altitude is life insurance. Surprise is key."

~ AMD FX-4100 3.6GHz (OC to 4GHz) ~ 8GB RAM ~ ASUS GTX1050Ti Phoenix 4GB ~
    T.16000M ~ TWCS Throttle ~ TFRP Pedals ~ DIY IR Headtracker

11. Likes ZG26_Sir_Racha liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by kiwiflieger View Post
    Found this thread a few weeks ago and thought, 'Maybe I should give the Bf110 a go as a heavy fighter?'

Well, I have given it many goes now, and I have to say I am liking it.
    Not entirely sure what it is about it: the concentrated firepower, 'radar invisibility', or the ability to defend oneself from the rear (albeit with a popgun). Probably all three!

Can't wait for the 110 improvements with TF4.5 - maybe we will get a few more Zerstorer pilots...

Glad to see you are enjoying the -110 Kiwi!

Hopefully the Beaufighter will also encourage more people to dabble in heavy fighters. and i'm keen to see if the Ju-88c6 makes it out the TFS hangar - that would be quite the challenge flying against single engined fighters.

Edit - went looking to see if i could find any TFS reference for the Ju-88c6 just in case i was confusing it with the -110c6. Couldnt find any mention so perhaps i was mistaking it and its not on the future aircraft list?

Ezzie
    Last edited by ATAG_Ezzie; Aug-21-2017 at 07:40.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

After ~3000 'flying' hours online in the -110 i learnt something new today so thought i would share it. It might be well known by other multi crew aircraft flyers but here goes anyway.

One of the fun things flying a -110 with a swarm or whatever of other -110s is that if your aircraft is shot down by one of those annoying single engined flies then u can often jump in the back of one of your comrades -110s and continue the fight. Been doing this for a long time and is good fun (and a good eay to try and exact revenge).

Anyway today i was in the back of Kennedy-oz's -110 merrily blatting away at the flies in the rear seat when K-oz realised he had to go tend to real life in a hurry and didnt have time to land. Seemed a shame to waste a perfectly good -110 so we tried something new (for us). We both hit escape which took us back to the spawn in screen and then kennedy left the server. As soon as his name dissapeared from the pilot seat i clicked on it. Hey presto i was then in kennedy's front seat and was able to fly the aircraft as per normal with the exception i had kennedy's weapon load (ie his tracer set up was diferent to mine).

Anyway like i said this might be old news for the experienced twin flyers but it was new to us. Not sure its an exploit or amything - its kinda like the front seater bailing out and then i crawl fwd to the front seat. Not sure if this was possible irl but....

So still learning new things....

Ezzie

Team Fusion
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    497.6 KB

One time Red}{awk exited the cockpit by accident during a loop maneuver (I was back seat). I (virtually) crawled to the front, leveled the wings, and pulled up to skim the sublime salt water breeze.

I guess sometimes it doesn't work but it did that time! There's at least one account I know of where the observer of a Beaufighter flew the ship back after the pilot had passed out. So yeah it's real (in some planes)!

15. Likes ATAG_Ezzie liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    567.59 MB

I can't wait for the dumbed down effect feature of the rear gun of the 110 to be removed. Once accurate defensive weapons are reinstated again it'll be game on!. Salute Zerstörer Fliegers

Silent135

17. Likes ATAG_Ezzie liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123