Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: EDTracker - Review - WIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    188.33 MB

EDTracker - Review - WIP

Called it Work In Progress as I document my full experience with this tracking unit from point of order through to usage in game together with calibration etc etc.

I am not tech savvy at all so this will be a point of view from the average Jo perspective. Hope you will all find it useful in the long run of testing the product for the use in Cliffs of Dover.

I will populate each point below as the testing happens. Additional points may be added as needed. This post will be edited as I go along to keep everything in one post at the top.

Product detail:
    EDTracker Pro - preassembled version as I don't like messing with electronics
    Website and info: http://www.edtracker.org.uk/index.ph.../edtracker-pro

1. Ordering
    So I jumped on developer website on 12/08/2015 afternoon and ordered the unit plus the cable. The price seems reasonable and website is easy enough to navigate. Quick payment using PayPal and I received the confirmation of payment and order to my email. 13/08/2015 I received email to notify me that product will be posted today.
    Price:
    £45 for the unit
    £2 for the cable (optional)
    £2 postage and packing

Total: £49

2. Unpacking (quality of postage and first impressions)
    The unit arrived on 15/08/2015 and on first impression it's a small package, wrapped and packed very securely. Very little likelihood of damage in post.

It's a smart looking little unit, plain black ABS plastic box. The cable looks sturdy too and definitely able to handle large amount of rotational stress.

First impressions are very good and I am pleasantly surprised by the quality.

3. Connecting and calibration
    On with connecting and calibration, just plugged it in and following the instructions from the website I downloaded the GUI 1.0.0 (one for the Pro unit). The GUI recognised the unit and connected it.
    Step 1 was to calibrate the magnetometer. Quick video popped up instructing me how to do it and after a few tries I had it dialed in properly.
    Step 2 was to leave the unit horizontally and perfectly still, then press "Auto Bias". Did that and 20 or so seconds later it was ready to go... not really as I found out.

4. First test and results with CLOD without additional software
    The native GUI programme does not work for the CLOD (if it does, please someone tell me how) so after starting up CLOD I had to exit and read on with the instructions (it was worth an initial try).

5. Setting up EDTracker with Opentrack and first test in CLOD
    So I followed the EDTracker developers instructions in setting up the Opentrack. Happy to say that after certain tinkering with various settings and Inverting axis it was working in the directions I wanted it to, so time to fly.

After the first 30 minutes I experienced symptoms similar to vertigo, dizziness and generally feeling ill (apparently the normal reaction for most people, even with TrackIR)

So I had a break and re-calibrated the device as I have noticed some Yaw Sway to the left.

After a short break I tried again, with better results. It felt a lot smoother and I did not feel as ill.

Quick points I have noticed:
    1. Occasional Yaw view drag can be annoying but it is usually sorted with "Autobias" which can be ran whilst still in game or a view reset button.
    2. It's smooth for the most parts and unlike IR, not affected by lighting
    3. Even when looking fully back, you can't check behind your plane properly, probably a blind spot of around 15% to 25%, big enough to miss a BF109 on your tail.

Edit 19.08.2015
    Regarding Yaw drift, I have now noticed that if you switch off the Native GUI for the EDTracker and have just the OpenTrack running for gameplay, there is no Yaw drift. Last night I have played using EDTracker for approximately 6 hours and haven't noticed any Yaw drift, now I don't have a great deal of experience, but in my eyes, this is GOOD.

Edit 25.08.2015
    Thanks to Lewis getting in touch with Brumster and other folks in the discussion below, a work around for "checking 6" with off set camera has been shown to us by the developer, Brumster. I have incorporated that yesterday into my set up and wow, it works an absolute treat. I had no problem checking behind me with the work around leaning my head out the cockpit if it was open, or a simulation of pressing my face against cockpit glass whilst looking behind if the cockpit was closed.
    The solution has provided a great solution to a problem that few have mentioned before. Therefore I believe it is fitting to update my score of the product.

So I give this initial score of 9.5 out of 10.

The only thing that affects the score is the 6DOF that TrackIR may provide for that fully immersive feel, but this product gets you pretty damn close. Just to give a little bit of comparison; I have been flying two and a half weeks, in the first two weeks I have managed to score a total of 5 kills and plenty of my deaths. Last night alone I scored 6 kills (one of them on the ground), by having the extra security set for checking my tail, it allowed me to stay up longer, and avoid those 109s trying to bounce me (of course I died few times too).

Pros:
    Not affected by lighting
    Smooth
    Fairly easy setup

Cons:
    Lack of 6DOF - albeit a work around is available for certain aspects

I will update review after a few weeks of using it to show how the unit is holding up. Also I will note here any quickfixes to known problems (sway, tail checking etc), as well as any new problems that occur during the normal use.
    Last edited by M_Klimek; Aug-25-2015 at 04:56.
    "Repeat Please"

Arma 3: If in doubt, call in CAS. (I'm up there with my JDAMs boys)

CLOD: contact just off my right wing low, diving... nevermind its just a bit of fluff on my screen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Re: EDTracker - Review - WIP

Fantastic Kllimek...This will be very helpful to me and folks who are curious about EdTRacker as a viable alternative to TrackIR..

The first time I realised this maybe a good alternative was when I used my phone in a Virtual Reality Google Cardboard headset...The head tracking seemed accurate and knowing that EdTracker uses the same technology I was interested...

There are issues now and then with TrackIR...People often can complain of TrackIR jumping around whenit catches reflectied light off surfaces in the room...Mine certainly does this from time to time...EdTracker shouldn't do this..

Thanks for the review Klimek....I'll be watching reading what you think of it here....~S~

PS...You see the EdTracker videos right?

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    1.618 - You know this number?
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle
    ATAG_Lewis Youtube Channel

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    188.33 MB

@ATAG_Lewis Yup, I've watched the videos and read about it a little before buying
    "Repeat Please"

CLOD: contact just off my right wing low, diving... nevermind its just a bit of fluff on my screen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

I have emailed 'brumster' in the video...I have suggested I 'gift' him CLOD in order that he installs it and the patches.....and posts a video on YouTube of him using EdTracker in CLOD.......I can then post it in these forums and maybe he makes a few sales...

I think this may well be a viable alternative to TrackIR....and half the price..

He is on holiday at the moment...I wait his reply
    Last edited by ATAG_Lewis; Aug-13-2015 at 13:23.
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle

5. Likes Stormrider liked this post
    Supporting Member FightingSteel1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.50 MB

I use it, and love it. I'll be interested in seeing your take on EDTracker.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    477.16 MB

the only thing you mis with edtracker is looking around your joystick at the compass in your Spitty.With ir-tracking you have 6dof and with ed-tracker only 3dof.So opening your canopy and stick your head out is also not possible.Missing this sort of movements can be a disadvantage in a flightsim.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Asus ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming|Intel Core i7 8700K 4,4Ghz|NZXT Kraken x52 all-in-one liquid cooler|16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 3000MHZ | ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Super Gaming OC 8G|ASUS 27" Gaming Monitor ROG Swift PG278Q
    |Samsung M2 970 EVO Plus, 500 GB SSD |Antec High Current Pro 850WATT |VKB Gunfighter Mk.II with MCG Pro grip | Saitek X52 Pro Flight Throttle |VKB-Sim T-Rudder Pedals Mk.IV |BU0836A 12-Bit Joystick Controller|win10 64bit Home Edition|Opentrack-pointtracker/Facetracknoir EDTracker Pro wireless

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    188.33 MB

Original Post updated with first use of EDTracker in CLOD.
    "Repeat Please"

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

I have read that drift can be a problem with gyros in phone but I assumed that could be corrected by looking dead ahead and centralising...somethin gthat I do every few minutes with TrackIR anyway...

I haven't heard anything from the developer yet....I guess he is still on holiday....He should be able to make a comprehensive assessment of this unit and get it running as it should in CLOD....I will keep you posted as to his findings as soon as I know...

I hope it works properly for you Klim as you are the only one that has taken the gamble on this unit....

Big community THANKS...~S~

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.58 GB

I tried the earlier, less stable version, and found it drifted quite a bit. it could be recentered, but was a bit of a pain if in a fight at that moment.

I went back to freetrack because i could not settle for the decreased ability to check my 6. In tried everything i could think of to try and get around this but couldn't find a way to move laterally and then turn to check the 6.Can certainly look to the rear, but lose the ability to see what is right behind you. This can be done by using the rudder to swing the tail, but at a loss of speed of course. Others might might be ok with not seeing directly what is behind them, including bomber pilots.

But i loved the smoothness of it and being able to use it in a well lit room, and if it were not for the 6 problem it would be my choice of head tracking for sure.

@lew - maybe the makers will be able to come up with a fix for the six.Thanks for arranging for them to have a look!

@Klimek - maybe you can take a screenshot to show how much of the 6 cannot be seen. Thanks for the post. There are actually some posts regarding the EDTracker on this site, if you are looking for a few other thoughts on this. Will be interested to hear your future thoughts on this product.
    Last edited by farley; Aug-17-2015 at 08:57.
    "If you want to fly, give up everything that weighs you down"......

Supporting Member FightingSteel1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.50 MB

I'll say that my experience with EDTracker is a little different.

You mention yaw drift, but I haven't had that, with a couple hours of continuous play. I used the more expensive 9150 magnetometer instead of the 6050 accelerometer part in mine. I know the 6050 has the drift issue over time, but not the 9150. My typical startup is to plug in the EDTracker and run the calibration program GUI. Then, with the unit centered, I close that and start OpenTrack. Once you start that, it should be good to go for the game and centered.

Also, you mention not being able to check your six all the way. I've heard that from a few people as well, but I don't have any problem with that either. In my setup, a 50/60 degree head turn gives you a full 180 view looking out the back of a 109. Have you setup the curves on OpenTrack?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

4. First test and results with CLOD without additional software
    The native GUI programme does not work for the CLOD (if it does, please someone tell me how) so after starting up CLOD I had to exit and read on with the instructions (it was worth an initial try).
    I think you need the "mouse view" (POV controled with mouse), hit F-10.

the only thing you mis with edtracker is looking around your joystick at the compass in your Spitty
    This, and lean left/right in cockpit can be achieve with Joy2key or Xpadder using the HAT, combine the HAT and EDTracker
    Last edited by 1lokos; Aug-17-2015 at 16:59.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    188.33 MB

Quote Originally Posted by FightingSteel1 View Post

You mention yaw drift, but I haven't had that, with a couple hours of continuous play. I used the more expensive 9150 magnetometer instead of the 6050 accelerometer part in mine. I know the 6050 has the drift issue over time, but not the 9150. My typical startup is to plug in the EDTracker and run the calibration program GUI. Then, with the unit centered, I close that and start OpenTrack. Once you start that, it should be good to go for the game and centered.

Also, you mention not being able to check your six all the way. I've heard that from a few people as well, but I don't have any problem with that either. In my setup, a 50/60 degree head turn gives you a full 180 view looking out the back of a 109. Have you setup the curves on OpenTrack?
    Thanks for your reply to thread, I have the EDTracker Pro version, prebuilt, my understanding is that it has the 9150 Magnetometer in it.

By checking "6" what I mean is the off set view. With HAT pan view or TrackIR or othe 6DOF you can offset which allows you to so completely behind the plane. Currently when I turn all the way I can see my headrest in the Spitty.
    "Repeat Please"

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.58 GB

Quote Originally Posted by FightingSteel1 View Post

FS - good to know. I do have the 6050, and it does drift easily. Im glad to hear that the newer 9150 has, as advertised, less drift.

I agree with Klimek, when i turn to check my 6, i see headrest ( sorry - i did not explain that i have no problem turning my head 180, it`s just what i see when i do); i am unable to lean to the side (offset view) to see all of my 6. It is not that i cannot look to the rear. Perhaps 1lokos, as he mentions above has the answers for this which would be great! When i find time i will try his suggestions, as i really like the EDTracker, and if i could get a full view of my 6 i would upgrade to the 9150 and start using it immediately as it has lots of positives!
    "If you want to fly, give up everything that weighs you down"......

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    188.33 MB

Made an update to my initial post, figured out how to avoid Yaw drift, and it's simple.

Also due to eliminating the Yaw drift I have updated my current score on the product.

I am extremely happy with my purchase, if you are not bothered about 6dof and will be happy with 3dof for a fraction of a price of TrackIR and much smoother then any other IR or face tracking product then I would highly recommend EDTracker.

Will see how it holds up over prolonged use.
    "Repeat Please"

16. Likes ATAG_Lewis, Stormrider liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I'm looking at how to use Opentrack profiles to try and mitigate some of the DoF issues with EDTracker (full disclosure Brumster from the ED forums is a good friend/uni mate so I may be a bit biased, and I have helped the guys out with some beta testing).

I'm now using EDTracker pro which is similar to the EDtracker with MPU 9150 in that it uses a magnetometer to help keep the gyros from yaw drifting.

So onto Opentrack. It is possible to map X, Y, and Z movements to roll pitch and yaw, and then set up the curve for that axis so that it has some reponse to movement on its "parent" axis, for instance I've mapped x to yaw so that when I first start to turn my head my view moves laterally so I can see over the nose, but also keep it there so I can check my six (would like to compare the view I get with what is expected). Also mapped Z with pitch, so that when I look down into the cockpit my view zooms in on the instruments.

I'll try and post some screenies this weekend on what I can see and what the curves look like if that helps anyone.

18. Likes farley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    188.33 MB

Quote Originally Posted by timbow View Post
    I'm looking at how to use Opentrack profiles to try and mitigate some of the DoF issues with EDTracker (full disclosure Brumster from the ED forums is a good friend/uni mate so I may be a bit biased, and I have helped the guys out with some beta testing).

I'm now using EDTracker pro which is similar to the EDtracker with MPU 9150 in that it uses a magnetometer to help keep the gyros from yaw drifting.

So onto Opentrack. It is possible to map X, Y, and Z movements to roll pitch and yaw, and then set up the curve for that axis so that it has some reponse to movement on its "parent" axis, for instance I've mapped x to yaw so that when I first start to turn my head my view moves laterally so I can see over the nose, but also keep it there so I can check my six (would like to compare the view I get with what is expected). Also mapped Z with pitch, so that when I look down into the cockpit my view zooms in on the instruments.

I'll try and post some screenies this weekend on what I can see and what the curves look like if that helps anyone.
    Yess please that would be highly appreciated.
    "Repeat Please"

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

I emailed brumster this week...he's on holiday...Hope to get a reply from him soon..SEE MY PREVIOUS POST

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

We've been emailing . The thing is we're keen to get playing ClOD, so it's as much for us as anything else, both have played Air Warrior in the past, IL2 for me in more recent history so I had already bought the game before stumbling on this thread...

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Great news Timbow....Check PM for welcome post...~S~

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

OK here some videos I took last night. There is one more to upload, but I had set my PC to automatically shutdown when I thought the uploads would have completed!

Anyway, first one Hurricane:

Spitfire (more on this to come):

bf109:

Spitfire video II

I'll post up my open track settings later!!
    Last edited by timbow; Aug-23-2015 at 08:13. Reason: Added last Spitfire video

24. Likes Stormrider, brumster, farley, Dennes liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    226.63 MB

still awaiting my EDtracker and why not just program 2 snapviews to the stick for out the open canopy view right and left rear works fine in snap view such as 1lokos said
    i7 2700 ,32 gigs, 4 ssd's ,1 7200rpm 2terabyte,1 samsung 55 display,2 mfd's,EDTRACKER,Warthog ,X55 stick, 7inch liliput monitor in mfd's 21 I-inc secondary display for instruments using virtual cockpit
    [*]iustus facere unus[*] JUST MAKE ONE ( FATAL ERROR) Commander TWC http://twcpilots.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Opentrack mappings

Need to play around with the asymmetric axes a bit.......
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by timbow; Aug-23-2015 at 06:54.

27. Likes farley, w0odi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Wow...Your head is moving outside of the cockpit with the canopy back....I didn't think this was possible with EDTracker and 3 DOF....That was the one thing I was afraid of.....and looks like EDTracker has that one covered...That's brilliant news....Thanks for uploading Tim...

Which version of the EdTracker did you use?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I'm using EDTracker Pro (I'm a beta tester for the EDTracker boys, but have no commercial interest in their company just to be clear, Brumster is just a good mate). The head out of the cockpit thing is achieved by mapping some x axis to yaw, so when you start to turn your head your view moves laterally until that curve ends and you begin to turn your head.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Ah nice one Tim - you've beat me to it, I did some videos this morning and was about to cut and upload ...

31. Likes w0odi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Yeah, but mine aren't adorned with your image and dulcet tones. I think the curves need some tweaking, for instance, putting an asymmetric curve on pitch so that you only get z axis when you look down into the cockpit. Your's are probably still watching Brumster..

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    477.16 MB

being able to look outside the cockpit also took me by surprise, I also thought that that was impossible to achieve.
    Asus ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming|Intel Core i7 8700K 4,4Ghz|NZXT Kraken x52 all-in-one liquid cooler|16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 3000MHZ | ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Super Gaming OC 8G|ASUS 27" Gaming Monitor ROG Swift PG278Q
    |Samsung M2 970 EVO Plus, 500 GB SSD |Antec High Current Pro 850WATT |VKB Gunfighter Mk.II with MCG Pro grip | Saitek X52 Pro Flight Throttle |VKB-Sim T-Rudder Pedals Mk.IV |BU0836A 12-Bit Joystick Controller|win10 64bit Home Edition|Opentrack-pointtracker/Facetracknoir EDTracker Pro wireless

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Yeah, but mine aren't adorned with your image and dulcet tones.
    LOL more like to put people off, I suspect!

I think the curves need some tweaking, for instance, putting an asymmetric curve on pitch so that you only get z axis when you look down into the cockpit. Your's are probably still watching Brumster..
    Yes, agreed, my curves look a bit different to yours - I use asymmetric on the Z so that it only zooms on the down, like you suggest. It's just finished encoding and I'll start the upload now... still, might take some time....

35. Likes w0odi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

@brumster and tim.....I look forward to seeing how it performs...Already a surprise is the more than 3DOF which was something that I was initially concerned about...On first setup looking good so far and also as you fellas have not flown this sim before..as CLOD can be a handful from the get go...

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Hi Lewis, bear in mind that the device itself is 3 DoF, this is a "work around" using OpenTrack to use some yaw and pitch movement to add in some lateral (x, and z) movement. It still has limitations in that the movement is restricted to what you can configure in OpenTrack, I guess the proof will be in the combat (although I tried taking off in a 109 las night and ended up in a heap on the runway, and I've got a taildragger endorsement on my old pilots licence....)

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast