Total Downloaded

Review of Occulus Rift Consumer Version

2. Likes invictus84, b0czek liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Re: Review of Occulus Rift Consumer Version

Thread revival !

so... its my birthday this week... and... well... the rig can handle it... so.... and i got a good price... and a two year guarantee... sooo...

and...
    soo....

Don’t Judge me !!

I bought an Occulus Rift CV1... came with the touch controllers... and two sensor gizmos....

and crikey !!!

The image quality is poor... but the sense of immersion is stunning !!

Its like a Nintendo weee on steroids !!!

don’t think id want to play cliffs with it.. it just doesn’t have the resolution... but for the right games... it’s nothing short of stunning !

The touch controllers are brilliant too.

So what have i played today ?

well the introduction to the touch controllers... which is like an interactive game in a caravan... with a robot (like a short version of Number 5 mixed with Wall-E)

then a trailer with some 3d stuff... pfffff!...

then I played Elite Dangerous for the first time in 3D... and damn near puked when I pulled a normal sideways landing.... man... really spewey if you fly like a numb nuts (so... really spewy coz its me !!)

Then i fired up pinball FX2 VR... wow !!!!!! amazing !!

then I found Nvidia’s free VR fairground... which is probably the best thing I’ve played for "a few minutes" (couple of hours straight) in years !!

then I had a go at being a gunslinger... which was awesome...

and the last hours I’ve been in what is the lobby area of the rift... (the equivalent of windows desktop if you like), but it’s basically a playboy style appartment on the side of a valley... and its got guns and a recurve bow and other boys toys left lying about... they really didn’t bother with being gender neutral.. unless you count the gun being pink and purple... IT’S AWESOME !!

must have put at least 300 arrows into the walls, painting / fire place... and thats just the desktop !!

Haven’t yet tried BoX or DCS (the Huey is gonna be amazing !!)

man...

so to sum up...

The graphics are pretty low res. Can’t see myself using it overly much for fight sims... not combat wise anyway.. great for recreation flights though !

but... sub stellar graphics in 3d..... wow !! for the right kind of game... wow !!!!!

Just stunning ! It cost less than my joystick. I'm blown away.
    If you have a PC that can handle it and are thinking of getting a games console… I’d say get a Rift instead !

I now have to force myself to go to bed. Meh... I don’t wanna go sleepie byes yet mummy... I wanna play shooty-shooty-bang-bang on the dat free-dee-head-tellyee... !

Mrs Seas asked if it has "House of the Dead" a late 90's Zombie shoot 'em up....

well... yeah honey.. it has Arizona Sunshine...

Man... im gonna have nightmares. !

Also i need a bigger house... i keep punching the phone and knocking stuff over !

HUGE GRIN !
    Last edited by ATAG_Highseas; Dec-03-2018 at 20:00. Reason: spell chicker

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    365.25 MB

Hmmm well it is Xmas tho I am interested in VR for combat Flight sims.
    Thanks to HS, I can avoid the CV1.

My questions to the masses:

Is there a VR system out there suitable for Combat Flight simming and if so what is it?
    https://imgur.com/VCUiXpY

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    374.72 MB

I borrowed the work Vive for a weekend and gave BoS a run.

Inside cockpit graphics were pretty good. Outside, particularly eyeballing otger aircraft not too good.

Still got a good sense of the 3D space. Driving games much better.

When VR can have the same res as monitors then I will invest for flight sims.

I have a 1080.

Pattle

6. Likes SIA_Sp00k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

My guess is that when VR has a comparable resolution to 2018 monitors my current rig will be the power house equivalent of a 486 with 1mb of ram and a Dorito as the graphics chip.

I doubt it will take long for the tech to get there.. most likely already is. But I'm not really expecting my current high end rig to be up to it! For me this was very much a case of 'already got the pc'.... 'lets try this out'

Buying all of it from scratch all at once would have been impossible.

Anyhow... like Pattle says... it very much depends on the game. Personally i'm loving it.

Think of it like an extra dimension (hehehe sorry!)

By which i mean... its an add on... not a replacement.... another peripheral basically.

Looking forward to going back to Nvidias VR Fairground later... thats hugely entertaining!

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Well, maybe once TFS 8.0 is out, the thingies will have the resolution I want and the price I can afford and if then I have a rig to handle it ... until then I just have to do without spewing

9. Likes ATAG_Vampire, ATAG_Highseas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Last week we had the Black Friday sales, so I had to make the Devil's Decision for a Christmas Gift: Oculus Rift or a 4K TV (for roughly the same price). I spent a lot of time checking reviews, including comments here on this forum. My primary, actually, exclusive, use would be flight sims. I have DCS Normandy and all the BoX modules (including the upcoming Bodenplatte), but the vast majority of my virtual flying will be Blitz (and soon Tobruk!).

I currently am using an ancient Samsung 43" LED TV in 1080p which has been fantastic for all flight sims. Much as the 3D experience fascinates me, I figured I would soon be frustrated by the relatively low resolution in a combat sim ie aircraft spotting, identifying friend vs foe, and cockpit dials. I decided on a 55" LG LCD (the premium OLED's are out of my price range right now). Just waiting on a DisplayPort --> HDMI cord from Amazon to replace the old HDMI cord that can't handle the 4K demands the new TV will be making on it.

Someday....3D.

Last edited by ATAG_Snapper; Dec-04-2018 at 05:44. Reason: corrected video cord description

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    374.72 MB

If I had to make a decision, I would go 4 k over VR for now.

Head tracking is good enough for now.

Haven't seen a sim or any game in 4K yet, but hope so soon.

12. Likes ATAG_Snapper, ATAG_Highseas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

For combat flight sims I must say I would agree. Flat 32" gsync for that....

Not to say i wont fly with it... i will..... but not in combat....

Is it home time yet? I wanna go to the fairground again!

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

14. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

I was in the first shipments of the CV1. The talk about the immersion factor is 100% accurate. The talk about low resolution and screen door effect are also 100% accurate.

I personally can't do more than 30 minutes in mine before having to take an extended break. I don't recommend drinking a beer while doing barrel rolls over Vegas.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    45.68 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Highseas View Post
    Thread revival !

then I played Elite Dangerous for the first time in 3D... and damn near puked when I pulled a normal sideways landing.... man... really spewey if you fly like a numb nuts (so... really spewy coz its me !!)[/B]
    Just wait until you are out on a planet bouncing around in your SRV
    I can take hours of Elite, but when I'm in that buggy i HAVE to focus on the tracking radar, or I'm gonna be sick

As I'm using VorpX with Cliffs, I can confirm the resolution is pretty bad when trying to identify targets (spotting them not too much trouble) my GTX970 can't handle more supersampling unfortunately
    But the dials are easily readable as long as you are not at minimum zoom, and since the headset tracks as your mousepointer, it's very easy to "hover" the pointer on a dial by looking at it
    Je Maintiendrai

PC Specs: Intel I5 8600k @4.8 Ghz/ Aorus Z390 Pro / Gigabyte RTX3060ti OC 8Gb @ 1905Mhz/ Corsair BX 2x16Gb @3200Mhz
    XPG Spectrix S40G, 256GB NVMe / Kingston A2000 1TB NVMe / Startech PEXUSB3S44V 4port USB 3.1 PCIe
    Asus VG278HE / Oculus Rift / Virpil MT50 Mongoost T50cm Stick and T50 Throttle / Saitek Combat Rudders / 2x Thrustmaster MFD Cougar

"I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears, sweat and the occasional witty comment"

17. Likes ATAG_Snapper, ATAG_Highseas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    162.28 MB

What about the Samsung Odyssey or the VIVE Pro? They have higher resolutions. Someone can tell about those?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Werwolf View Post
    What about the Samsung Odyssey or the VIVE Pro? They have higher resolutions. Someone can tell about those?
    Not me ! The Vive Pro is £1,500.00 ! Bit outside my range.

It would be great to know though !!

Thing is, if you only flight sims, (and competatively) you will probably want to give the Vive a miss...

But....

If you play lots of stuff... and have ever used a wee... and figured it was kinda cool... THAT is where the rift comes in!

Up until now i had maybe 3 serious titles / franchises. (5 actually... but)

1 GTA
    2 Cliffs
    3 Asassins Creeed

I doubt i'd play any of those in current VR as they are graphically stunning.

they demand high resolution.

(Actually Cliffs i would.. definitly.. but just for kicks.. )

There is a lot of free VR (good) stuff about!

I just watched Allumette.

free film... Incredible! Sad. Beautiful.

for the post 45 year old brits here... It's like being right inside (the centre of) an episode of Camberwick Green.

I recon in the past 3 days ive already had my moneys worth.

I put my eldest on a (free) rollercoaster... haha... !! she loved it. 2 free ones in the game. Put her on the second too. haha... !

And it was a penny less than £10 for the 8 ride pack... unlimited rides... man !! click ! support the developers.! And play cool stuff over and over !

After that I took Mrs Seas to the fairground. (Nvidia Fun House VR)

Hahaha!! It was like we were back in '97 on the Palace Pier in Brighton when she was Cutie Lil' Ms Pre'Seas and together we were the double player sharp shooting king and queen of "house of the dead"

man... we were bloody good at that (she on the left... me on the right) Cross shooting wingies !

I left her for Africa in spite of it..... and left her with the zombies

She did ok out of it mind... she survived the zombie appocalypse for one thing and... i dunno...

I just took her to the fair dammit !! ... I paid for all the rides too.. (and i saved on the cab fair both ways !!)

Still building this:

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...l=1#post323838

Last edited by ATAG_Highseas; Dec-04-2018 at 20:36.

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

20. Likes ATAG_Septic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Nightdare View Post
    Just wait until you are out on a planet bouncing around in your SRV
    I can take hours of Elite, but when I'm in that buggy i HAVE to focus on the tracking radar, or I'm gonna be sick
    yeah.. flying sideways at full tilt is pretty hard on the puke-ometer...

J

As I'm using VorpX with Cliffs, I can confirm the resolution is pretty bad when trying to identify targets (spotting them not too much trouble) my GTX970 can't handle more supersampling unfortunately
    But the dials are easily readable as long as you are not at minimum zoom, and since the headset tracks as your mousepointer, it's very easy to "hover" the pointer on a dial by looking at it
    What is this VorpX thingy?

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    162.28 MB

The Odyssey+ was at discount this black Friday for $350.00, the older version was at $300.00. The new Odyssey+ has a new anti screen door effect technology but possibly it makes things a little blurry.

23. Likes ATAG_Highseas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    45.68 MB

What is this VorpX thingy?

It's a program that renders normal games able to be played in VR

It's not perfect, but it enables me to play CloDB on my Oculus
    Je Maintiendrai

PC Specs: Intel I5 8600k @4.8 Ghz/ Aorus Z390 Pro / Gigabyte RTX3060ti OC 8Gb @ 1905Mhz/ Corsair BX 2x16Gb @3200Mhz
    XPG Spectrix S40G, 256GB NVMe / Kingston A2000 1TB NVMe / Startech PEXUSB3S44V 4port USB 3.1 PCIe
    Asus VG278HE / Oculus Rift / Virpil MT50 Mongoost T50cm Stick and T50 Throttle / Saitek Combat Rudders / 2x Thrustmaster MFD Cougar

"I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears, sweat and the occasional witty comment"

25. Likes ATAG_Highseas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

It's a program that renders normal games able to be played in VR

It's not perfect, but it enables me to play CloDB on my Oculus
    Well i am DEFINITELY checking that out!

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Holy cow !! what a day!

Iwas 146 today... and having taken the day opff (never work on my birthday!!)

i fired up the Rift...

Its amazing how much free stuff is out there...

Played the demo version of Project Cas 2... incredible... then found Dirt Ralley... and oh lookie... a lancia stratos !!... im in !!

im a terrible ralley driver !!

For the last two hours i have been in DCS... in the spitfire...

im just blown away all over again !!

Its is incredible !

I know I said Id not fly combat in 3d... but actually... i would !.. its just breathtaking.

I also noticed that the seat is concave and have three hoel neetly drilled through the base... easy drain seating... very good idea !!

man.. im going back again ! This is crazy adictive !

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

28. Likes ATAG_Vampire, ATAG_Septic, \Hawk/, farley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    184.7 KB

Rift user here, and for me BoX is amazing and I dont want to go back to a flat screen. Yes I cheat and use icons but I am prepared to accept that as the entrance price. Elite is wow as well I hope that cliffs will be VR soon.

30. Likes ATAG_Septic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    447.92 MB

Just ordered the oculus. I won't be able to use it until Santa has officially delivered it, can't wait!

32. Likes ATAG_Highseas, \Hawk/ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

I spent tgree hours the other day taking off in a spit in DCS... doing a circuit and landing.... over and over and over.... never gets tired!

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

34. Likes \Hawk/ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    184.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Monkeynut View Post
    Just ordered the oculus. I won't be able to use it until Santa has officially delivered it, can't wait!
    I had the same situation last year, I feel your pain. However you can spend some time setting up VoiceAttack and getting used to it. Its very handy if you run out of buttons

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    78.06 MB

Hey 'Seas,

I too have just got a Rift (Merry Christmas to me), and like you I'm blown away.

If you haven't tried it yet, give BoX a blast. I know you've already tried DCS so you'll know that it feels completely different to playing on a normal screen... but I don't think anything prepares you for the realisation of just how cramped a 109 cockpit is!

Another thing that you've not mentioned and you really must try (if you haven't already) is Robo Recall. It's another freebie with the Rift Touch and it's quite an experience. The shooting and sense of immersion is incredible. I played it a little last night and started off quite sedately and moving cautiously... 20 minutes later I was behaving like Neo in the Matrix.

37. Likes ATAG_Highseas, Lensman, farley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 9./JG52 Pans View Post
    Hey 'Seas,

I too have just got a Rift (Merry Christmas to me), and like you I'm blown away.

If you haven't tried it yet, give BoX a blast. I know you've already tried DCS so you'll know that it feels completely different to playing on a normal screen... but I don't think anything prepares you for the realisation of just how cramped a 109 cockpit is!

Another thing that you've not mentioned and you really must try (if you haven't already) is Robo Recall. It's another freebie with the Rift Touch and it's quite an experience. The shooting and sense of immersion is incredible. I played it a little last night and started off quite sedately and moving cautiously... 20 minutes later I was behaving like Neo in the Matrix.
    yep !!

and go check out the BBC trip in a Lancaster !! That's quite something. Free on the occulus site.

Im playing a fair bit of Pinball Fx2 VR !

check this out:

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...ad.php?t=30025

https://www.tested.com/tech/gaming/5...nball-machine/

happy days !!

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

39. Likes Pans, Lensman, 69th_Zeb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    447.92 MB

Finally got home and set up. After an afternoon of trying to get the kids off the robot in thing in the demo (3 and 6 years old and they were way better than me with the touch controllers!) I finally got down to business.

First up was elite, looked great, but so long since I've played it I can't remember all the buttons so that was a bit of a non starter.

Then had a quick mission in bos, this was amazing, escorted my ju-87s, had a dust up with some lags, thought I'd got my first vr kills and managed a very bouncy landing, only to find out at debrief that I didn't get either kill, bloody wingmen followed them down! I'm sure the first one will come soon! Awesome stuff, can't wait to try dcs, although not sure my gpu will take it, was only managing around 45fps in bos.
    Last edited by ATAG_Monkeynut; Dec-29-2018 at 17:53.

41. Likes farley, ATAG_Highseas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

I've been spending a lot of time in Project Cars 2.

Huge fun!

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

43. Likes Pans liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    78.06 MB

I've been spending a lot of time in Project Cars 2.

Huge fun!
    I picked it up on the humble monthly bundle on the strength of the original game. Gotta love thrashing a lotus around historic spa!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    447.92 MB

Been having fun with the Spit in DCS. Flying's a blast, landings need a bit of work!

Spit landing2.png Spit Landing.png

46. Likes ATAG_Highseas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Marvelous isnt it?!

Really fun!

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    162.28 MB

The new standard is here:

HP Reverb, 2160 x 2160 x Eye. $600.00. Wait a little for other headsets coming soon but generally most headsets share the same screens.

49. Likes ATAG_Highseas liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast