Thread: Normandy Missions?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    ATAG Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Normandy Missions?

Are the two Normandy missions the same except one is running using UP3 and the other using HSFX6?

I have been trying both to compare MP HSFX6 v UP3 and noticed that target bearings, height, etc are displayed on screen in the HFSX server but there are no radar reports in the UP mission version - you have to look around and spot targets. I just wondered if this was due to differences in the modpacks or wether one mission is scripted differently.

I never did much MP on Il1946, its been fun trying the ATAG server missions but I have found it very tough going on IL946, I have forgotten just how challenging it is compared to CloD and need a lot of SP practice for sure - I have only survived once to RTB.
    [CENTER][/CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

AMD A8 5600K Quad Core 3.6 Ghz - Win 7 64 - 8Gb Ram - GTX660ti 2Gb VRAM - FreeTrack - MSFF2/X45Th - Asus 23' Monitor.

ATAG Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Re: Normandy Missions?

I'm glad you asked EvangelusE, because yes they are in fact almost identical missions. In fact the only reason Normandy 44' was originally put on the UP server was to see if it would cause the same server crashes it was causing on HSFX.
    Unfortunately the mission runs with no problems on UP which means there are some yet to be solved problems concerning HSFX and 4.11.1 . But I really do like HSFX which is why we have a server for both. The differences you're seeing on both servers are just variations I made for radar and command and control. Those coordinates you're seeing on the HSFX mission are C&C intercept radars that assist friendly fighters in vectoring to enemy planes. The mission on UP uses base radars that provide coordinates on the minimap. Both do the same thing for the most part, just in a different way.

I tried to make Normandy 44' as "target rich" as possible because I know that for now there is little or no traffic on those servers, I believe in the four hour span there are twelve separate ai flights per side at eight planes a piece. However even if traffic does pick up I'll most likely keep them in. My goal was to provide challenges for flyers whether there was one person or twenty people on the server. I guess I was wondering if that was where some of your difficulty was coming from. In any case I hope that answered your questions and I'm sure with practice you'll reach your stride.

WatchMan.

ATAG Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Thanks Watchman, very helpfull though I am not sure what you mean regards using the Minimap for radar calls on the UP3 mission but I will take a closer look at it. The HFSX modpack is very nice for sure. I also noticed a few mini pauses which I think is due to AI formations spawning but nothing serious or severe enough to affect play.

The problem are the AI Bomber gunners, they are deadly and AI formations require a completely different attack strategy compared to CloD which is probably unrealistic and far too easy.

The other problem was identifying the brown field runway at Caen (which you have to use on the Normandy mission) but I have sussed that out now.

I came across a formation of B17's......what a sight that was and the sound of the formation was awesome. Great to have something different so thanks for all the work!
    [CENTER][/CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

AMD A8 5600K Quad Core 3.6 Ghz - Win 7 64 - 8Gb Ram - GTX660ti 2Gb VRAM - FreeTrack - MSFF2/X45Th - Asus 23' Monitor.

ATAG Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Okay EvangelusE, let me see if I can help you out here. With the HSFX version there are runway lights installed at each base, all you need to do is get within range of your base, hit "TAB" for radio comms, choose "8" to talk to the radio tower and then "6" to turn on runway lights, pretty cool. The lights should stay on for about 20 seconds or so.

As far as bomber formations are concerned, it's tough all the way around, those B-17s in formations of 8 are deadly. I've found the best way to attack them is either a quick head on pass from higher altitude or getting an altitude advantage of around 500-700 meters and doing a left hand, sweeping dive and aiming for the bomber in the "tail end Charlie" position which would be the bomber at the very end of the formation. I actually use the 410 Hornisse because it has a lot of concentrated firepower in the nose. Try to focus on the inboard engines to not only knock out the engine but maybe cause a fuel fire and shear the wing root.

Okay and lastly I'll explain the minimap in UP. The radars in UP will show planes, "friend or foe" on the minimap as white plane icons if those aircraft are within range of the radar. I'm pretty sure the radars are set up to scan a 50km radius up to an altitude of 7000m. Those figures are for the Normandy 44' mission only.

S! WatchMan.