Thread: How to use hat switch to freely view inside the cockpit

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

How to use hat switch to freely view inside the cockpit

Hi
    I have a Thrustmaster Cougar and would like to use the hat switch to freely view inside the cockpit.

I know there is a feature in the game where you can do that with the middle mouse button.

I'd like to use the hat switch to freely view around the cockpit.

Pan view is OK only its restricterd to one key press per pan (ie one press left, will show 45 degree left, another press left will show 90 degree left etc).

Can anyone point me to a way where I can freely view with the hat switch?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    220.96 MB

Re: How to use hat switch to freely view inside the cockpit

If you press F9, you can hold your hat-switch and it will move all the way this direction until you release your key. You can set key for 45° 90° 135° so you might use a shift key so you can use atleast two pairs 90° and 135° (Side) or 45° and 90° (up/down)

You have to set the second pair of controls in the drop down menu below "shift view" . Numpad keys should be already set.

It's not completly free but something.

5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

That potentially something that you do by using something like Joy2Key I think

So that every position on the hat is associated with the "Free look" function of F9 (although I think you might have to assign that function to a different key. Then every time its pressed the free look is automatically engaged by Joy2key whilst the direction is just assigned in the game controls as normal.

Probably talking out of my hat though.

Ha! Hat!! - I only just got it meself!!
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

" Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Tibsun View Post
    If you press F9, you can hold your hat-switch and it will move all the way this direction until you release your key. You can set key for 45° 90° 135° so you might use a shift key so you can use atleast two pairs 90° and 135° (Side) or 45° and 90° (up/down)

You have to set the second pair of controls in the drop down menu below "shift view" . Numpad keys should be already set.

It's not completly free but something.
    Thanks. What you describe is the PAN view. I'm after a way to configure the hat switch to move in any degree. Much like the view you get when you press mouse middle button.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

CloD use the same archaic view system of Il-2:46, Fixed Snaps and Pan with 90 degrees of movement with auto return to center.

Has the "mouse view" with 6DOF: press the middle mouse button or press F-10, to turn OFF momentary or toggle OFF of the "independent mode" - that anemic click-pit, and move the mouse.

All awkward in flight... Rest relly on 3rd party programs to try improve this.

With Joy2Key is possible can set joystick HAT movements to move mouse cursor, and so use HAT to move in free incremental way the camera POV.

See there how:

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...l=1#post244993

How set custom snap view - e.g. see P-8 compass dial, with Joy2key:

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...ad.php?t=26076
    Last edited by 1lokos; Sep-30-2017 at 21:28.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by 1lokos View Post
    CloD use the same archaic view system of Il-2:46, Fixed Snaps and Pan with 90 degrees of movement with auto return to center.

Has the "mouse view" with 6DOF: press the middle mouse button or press F-10, to turn OFF momentary or toggle OFF of the "independent mode" - that anemic click-pit, and move the mouse.

All awkward in flight... Rest relly on 3rd party programs to try improve this.

With Joy2Key is possible can set joystick HAT movements to move mouse cursor, and so use HAT to move in free incremental way the camera POV.

See there how:

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...l=1#post244993

How set custom snap view - e.g. see P-8 compass dial, with Joy2key:

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...ad.php?t=26076
    Thanks 1lokos.
    Great tip and finally managed to get it to work. Just had to make sure I use an empty TM profile.

Pity the game doesn't have this feature. I do recall though that it did have that feature sometime ago when I downloaded it first from stream over a year ago.