Thread: Mechwarrior Online Beta

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Mechwarrior Online Beta

So is anyone else in this

Currently running around in a jenner snapping at the heels of atlases as I go
    Gigabyte X58A-UD5 | Intel i7 930 @4GHz | Corsair H70 | ATI 5970 | 6GB Kingston DDR3 | Intel 160GB G2 | Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit |
    MONITOR: Acer S243HL.
    CASE: Thermaltake LEVEL 10.
    INPUTS: Tarmac KG13, TH Warthog Throttle, Saitek Pedals, Track IR 4.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    457.02 MB

Re: Mechwarrior Online Beta

Now that I know you can be in it - I will be

"The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself". - Archibald Macleish

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    63.02 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Bliss View Post
    Now that I know you can be in it - I will be
    I may have to dust off the old CD and install this beauty.
    ATAG_Wolf
    Coursair 16GB (4x 4GB), DDR3-1600MHz
    Gainward Nvidia 980GTX
    850-Watt Modular Power Supply
    WIN10 and COD on Gskill SSD 240GB
    40" Panasonic LCD
    TrackIR5 +
    Thrustmaster Warthog stick, throttle & pedals

Dutch

Isn't the proper Mechwarrior a free to play and buy to win kind of set-up?

ATAG Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Not sure Dutch, but I think I'll stick with MWLL for now, just looking over the Mech Warriors Online website, it does have the look and feel of WOT. But you never know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

From what I have seen so far it's not like wot, which btw I loathed with a passion, but only time will tell, it's definitely better than legends the cryengine 3 kicks ass!
    Gigabyte X58A-UD5 | Intel i7 930 @4GHz | Corsair H70 | ATI 5970 | 6GB Kingston DDR3 | Intel 160GB G2 | Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit |

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    457.02 MB

Quote Originally Posted by JG52Krupi View Post
    From what I have seen so far it's not like wot, which btw I loathed with a passion, but only time will tell, it's definitely better than legends the cryengine 3 kicks ass!
    I felt just the opposite. I've played a few rounds now and I think it's terrible. You have like a total of 6 mechs, no vehicles, nothing in the air, can't walk around (get in / get out) of your mech. Gameplay is 100% deathmatch which throws team play almost completely out the window. The only thing it has going for it IMO are the graphics. I also felt it was 10x easier to play than MWLL as MWLL has soo many options and variables for mechs, tanks, maps, air power, that you really need to know what to choose depending on the map you are playing. MWO is more or less a walk around and shoot and people thing. It doesn't come close to MWLL - not by a long shot. It reminds me of WoT without many tanks lol.

"The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself". - Archibald Macleish

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I felt just the opposite. I've played a few rounds now and I think it's terrible. You have like a total of 6 mechs, no vehicles, nothing in the air, can't walk around (get in / get out) of your mech. Gameplay is 100% deathmatch which throws team play almost completely out the window. The only thing it has going for it IMO are the graphics. I also felt it was 10x easier to play than MWLL as MWLL has soo many options and variables for mechs, tanks, maps, air power, that you really need to know what to choose depending on the map you are playing. MWO is more or less a walk around and shoot and people thing. It doesn't come close to MWLL - not by a long shot. It reminds me of WoT without many tanks lol.
    Well, your clearly biased!

Its a beta more game modes will be added later.

A guy jumping out of his mech and bouncing around is just silly... mech will be added every few months apparently. MWLL when you can drive around in a flamer tank and not get hit I find that STUPID the whole points of the mechs is that they are superior to things like tanks. Aircraft would be nice but in both game the maps are way to small (I think the same of battlefield 3 as well). MWO = MWLL are both walk around shooting things so your point is?

Its nothing like WOT, your bias rears up again...

In MWO I felt like I was piloting a mech MWLL did nothing for me in that regards.
    Last edited by JG52_Krupi; Jul-28-2012 at 14:11.

Dutch

At this point I'd just like to say that for the first time ever, I've got as far as flying a thingy in Crysis 1 offline game.

And it flies just as daft as the flying things in MWLL. This is going to really screw up my truly impeccable flying techniques in 'proper' flight sims.

So what is this Crysis/MWLL thing then? Some sort of secret Blue team plan to knacker everyone's flying skills?????

P

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    457.02 MB

Well, your clearly biased!

Its a beta more game modes will be added later.

A guy jumping out of his mech and bouncing around is just silly... mech will be added every few months apparently. MWLL when you can drive around in a flamer tank and not get hits I find that STUPID the whole points of the mechs is that they are superior to things like tanks. Aircraft would be nice but in both game the maps are way to small (I think the same of battlefield 3 as well). MWO = MWLL are both walk around shooting things so your point is?

Its nothing like WOT, your bias rears up again...

In MWO I felt like I was piloting a mech MWLL did nothing for me in that regards.
    I don't think you've played MWLL long enough to realize why you can also walk around as a Battle Armor (A human in an environmental suit with jump jets). There's several reasons. A.) You can bail out of your mech, tank, hover craft, aircraft, etc., to stay alive and keep your accumulated credits. (Imagine not being able to bail our of your plane in a flight sim. That's far from stupid m8.) B.) there is a vehicle just for the BA called the APC which is a personnel carrier. This carrier can have other BA's jump in with you for transport as well. Many people use these and park them in a hiding spot so you're not running all over the map trying to get there. You can also buy a TAG rifle / NARK missiles as a BA and move silently up to the front lines. As you are very small you only appear on enemy radar only if really close to a mech. The TAG rifle can be used to TAG (with a laser) enemy mechs so your team mates with long range missiles can simply point in the direction of the enemy and their missiles will go after the mech you have tagged with your TAG rifle. This is a huge tactic for being able to take down superior mechs without needing to be in line of sight. As with a smaller mech you may risk being killed simply popping up to try to get a shot on a superior mech. The NARK works similar except it's acts as a sticky bomb with a homing device for your team mate's missiles. As a BA you can also buy upgraded weapons, a little PPC, a couple cannons, different lasers etc. This comes in handy when taking on specific types of mechs. As some mechs take a lot of heat to fire their weapons, with long reload times, depending on the mech, because you are much faster as a jump jet BA (in being able to move around not in top speed) these mechs are vary vulnerable to a well equipped BA. Again meaning that you really need to know your mech and your weapon set depending on the situation. This also feels very realistic to me as there's no way a 200 ton mech could possible move around in a directional plane as fast as a human with an environmental suit and jump jets - which MWLL has done, modeled, etc., fairly well.

As far as the flamer thing, I grabbed that just to show you how the weapons really matter in game. Everything from the outside temperature of the certain map, planet you are on effects how much heat your mech produces with firing any sort of pulse/laser type weapon. The map we entered was a very hot map. That's why I chose the flamer as I knew if I got close to within my flame range on you that when you fired your weapons you would essentially over heat your mech and cause it to shut down in the attempt for it to automatically cool off. That's when it becomes really easy for a heat type weapon. As your mech can't power back up as I'm constantly bombarding it with more heat, it ends up going super nova / nuclear. Your mech could have easily killed my tank, but because of the map, and knowing that you haven't played MWLL hardly at all, I knew that's what would happen. The more you tried to shoot at me with my flames going on you, the more you basically just killed yourself.

As far as the maps go, you must not have played too many of them, because some are a good 10 minute jaunt in a fast hovercraft just to get from one side to the other (something going 130+) Hopping into a big mech that's about 1/5th of the speed will net you taking 45+ minutes to do the same. Some maps are very very huge. I've only been playing for a few weeks, but after seeing all the leagues and hearing from some other teams that have joined our TS3 that are also in MWO (teams that only play mech warrior type games) they all say the same thing. MWO might get there one day, but it's no where near MWLL. The graphics maybe better, but I'm in it for the tactics, the hard learning curve, and the team work aspect of it. I was killing people the 1st time I played MWO. I don't think I killed someone in MWLL, or come to grips on staying alive until well after I had played it for a week. That's why it's soo addicting. And that's why, to me, I went blah after playing MWO. There's really just no comparison in game play, game types, weapons selection, maps selection - the stuff I really care about. But MWO does beat it hands down in GFX. But I still think MWLL looks good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I like the idea of a guy spotting mechs after his has been destroyed but you can't tell me that its good to be able to go 1v1...

The beta has only just being announced and there are only a few types of guns in it atm, the next patch is adding some more.

Trekking around a map for 45 mins to be blown up by some guy and his flamer tank isn't my idea of fun...

What I most like about MWO is that its MY Mech I earned it and eventually being able to customise it, that adds another layer of immersion for me.
    Last edited by JG52_Krupi; Jul-28-2012 at 14:28.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    457.02 MB

I like the idea of a guy spotting mechs after his has been destroyed but you can't tell me that its good to be able to go 1v1...
    Yes it's real good. Because those that know their mech's capabilities know if they can do it or not, or need to stay back with their team mates. In case there is a BA running around. BA's are great against a single slow mech with slow weapons. Against 2, their only hope is the try to escape.

Trekking around a map for 45 mins to be blown up by some guy and his flamer tank isn't my idea of fun...
    99% of the people that play MWLL wouldn't get blown up by that flamer tank as they know A.) it's only good at close range B.) it has the worst armor of just about anything mechanized in the game C.) it would be destroyed by virtually any mech on the map. Again, the only reason I used it against you is because you are new to MWLL and I knew that I would kill you with it. You won't see experienced players taking the weakest armored vehicle in the game with the shortest range weapons going up against many people. Most would probably laugh if they saw someone using that tank.

What I most like about MWO is that its MY Mech I earned it and eventually being able to customise it, that adds another layer of immersion for me.
    That's EXACTLY why I like MWLL. EVERYONE in the entire game starts off with the exact same clean slate every round. You have to earn the mechs you use by your game play, skill, experience. It doesn't get much more balanced than that. You can't buy them with your pocket book like you can in MWO.

Dutch

All I know is I've been spending far more time in MWLL than Cliffs lately. I'm rubbish at it but it's great fun and free.

In fact if anyone's up for a team run at the 'others' later, I'm well up for it. Why not join in Krupi mate?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Dutch View Post
    All I know is I've been spending far more time in MWLL than Cliffs lately. I'm rubbish at it but it's great fun and free.

In fact if anyone's up for a team run at the 'others' later, I'm well up for it. Why not join in Krupi mate?
    Okay, I wouldn't mind trying one of those large maps so far the only ones I have seen have been quite small.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

That's EXACTLY why I like MWLL. EVERYONE in the entire game starts off with the exact same clean slate every round. You have to earn the mechs you use by your game play, skill, experience. It doesn't get much more balanced than that. You can't buy them with your pocket book like you can in MWO.
    Its up to you to decide how much you want to spend, with WOT I found that I either had to buy a tank with real money (Something I flat out refused to do) or spend a few weeks earning the cash and when I bought a tank that couldn't kill anything but the same kind of tank I was screwed earning only a little money every match, MWO is nothing like that I earned more money as a scout doing recon than as a catapult using LRM, I still can't understand how you can compare it to WOT...

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    457.02 MB

Its up to you to decide how much you want to spend, with WOT I found that I either had to buy a tank with real money (Something I flat out refused to do) or spend a few weeks earning the cash and when I bought a tank that couldn't kill anything but the same kind of tank I was screwed earning only a little money every match, MWO is nothing like that I earned more money as a scout doing recon than as a catapult using LRM, I still can't understand how you can compare it to WOT...
    Huh?

I can compare it to WoT because it works virtually the same way as WoT. You gain XP to earn tanks or real money (now mechs) and work your way up. Then you can use XP to upgrade tanks or real money (now mechs). All of this works very similar to WoT with upgrades to weapons, engine, armor etc. I guess a better question is how can you not compare it to WoT? The modules are almost identical in how you both earn newer tanks/mechs (or use real money) and along with component items. I mean some of the gameplay features are obviously different between the 2 (tanks vs mechs) but the way in which you acquire them is the same thing. "The Grind" is virtually the same exact method. Did you really play world of tanks lol? Holy cow Krupi.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

This game KICKS ass I just upgraded the cat engine, 95 speed and srm FTW

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Come on someone here has got to play this game, its no fun when you have no one to pair up with

There are so much tactics involved in this game and they have barely added anything its just the core of the game atm. I cannot wait to see what this game will turn out like even if they add only half of what they hope to.

By a guy called Ironhawk from the MWO forums quite impressive
    Last edited by JG52_Krupi; Jul-30-2012 at 20:03.

Dutch

Sorry Krupi, but that mech looks like a bit of a poof to me. P

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

It wasn't the best example but I wouldnt call someone a poof when you pilot this

And I am busy rocking this!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    8.93 MB

I went over to the sight to sign up for the Beta but IF I read correctly, you have to be a founding member, i.e. pay between $30 and $120 to be a beta tester? Please, correct me if I am wrong.
    SERVING THE ROF AND BOS COMMUNITY

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

If you want to join early and beta the game you can, for $30 or you can wait for it to be released where it will be f2p

But for $30 you do get some in game currency etc Personally I fell for the founders catapult and went for the $60 deal

From what I have read and heard they plan on adding a hell of a lot to the game so I went for it.

Veteran Combat pilot MajorBorris's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I have always loved the MechWarrior universe so I will have a look at MWOL too.

I think the competition between the two MW games will make them both better (time will tell).

Could be a win win for MechWarrior fans as the MWLL game mode is lots of fun and the customizable mechs/squads in MWOL sounds interesting as well
    ASUS Sabertooth MB--Intel 2600k@4.7--EVGA GTX580 3GB--Corasir 1200 watt psu--Corsair 16gb 1833--Corsair H70 cooler--Corsair 650d case--OCZ Vertex 3--Track IR5--CH Eclipse Yoke--CH Trottle Quadrant--CH MFP--CH Rudders

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    8.93 MB

Thanks for the reply Krupi .... I suspect, though I have not read it, that this is modeled after the idea (simular to RoF and others) where you buy mechs and upgrades? Either with REAL money or in game money? This, I might add is not a bad thing but looks to be the future.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

You earn money through playing and have to pay for any repairs so like WOT. However any size mech can take out another one which as not the case in WOT so the grind to your favourite mech will not be so hard

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Since I am bound by an NDA here are some IGN gameplay vids

http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/30500-ign-gameplay/

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Had a great time last night was fun, especially when after having gotten into a scrap with a medium mech and destroying both his arms I chased him/was led straight to the enemies assault mechs I managed to escape with a severly damaged right leg only to have the medium mech ram me to the ground injuring my mech some more and then to put the final nail in my coffin a retreating team mate in his atlas walking backwards trying to evade fire from the enemy stood on my severly broken leg and crushed it completely LOL I was able to stand up again and fire off a salvo of SRM before the enemies PPC found my cockpit

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    8.93 MB

Last edited by ChiefRedCloud; Aug-01-2012 at 10:17.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Are you going to apply chief?