Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Please please create a mod that allows aileron trim in Spits and Hurricanes

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Re: Please please create a mod that allows aileron trim in Spits and Hurricanes

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Colander View Post
    Just to add to this:
    If your plane is flying moving to one side, your bullets will exit moving to the same side.
    Is like throwing a stone from a moving car. If the car is moving at 100mph, no matter how fast you throw it out the side window, it will always fly with the sideways 100mph added to it.
    Great point. Well stated.

Inertia plays havoc with gunnery.

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

This is a clearer explanation.

Edited my post to add word.

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Colander View Post
    Just to add to this:
    If your plane is flying moving to one side, your bullets will exit moving to the same side.
    Is like throwing a stone from a moving car. If the car is moving at 100mph, no matter how fast you throw it out the side window, it will always fly with the sideways 100mph added to it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

no lazzooor beeemmms , how disappoint
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4036&dateline=1382347  940

If it's brown, shoot it down!

4. Likes w0odi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.69 MB

Here you go. "a mod that allows aileron trim" As a bonus it also works in German and Italian planes.
    Started off as a joke but it works pretty well.

6. Likes farley, w0odi, Baffin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

But CH stick has this mechanical trim on X,Y axis - which displaces potentiometer center position and result in "cheat" trim.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.69 MB

Mechanical trim too sensitive for the very small input needed on the Hurri

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

May I recommend using the joystick. It's a top secret pilot trick... So... Hush hush eh?

)

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

For ones searching for "cheat" trim in any plane:

"Universal trim" code:

Code:
    //Trims [ HAT 1 and HAT 2]
    //Works on every simulator

//X

MapKey(&Joystick, H1L, REXEC(0, 100, "TrimDXAxis(DX_X_AXIS, -5);"));
    MapKey(&Joystick, H1R, REXEC(0, 100, "TrimDXAxis(DX_X_AXIS, 5);"));

//Y

MapKey(&Joystick, H1U, REXEC(1, 100, "TrimDXAxis(DX_Y_AXIS, -5);"));
    MapKey(&Joystick, H1D, REXEC(1, 100, "TrimDXAxis(DX_Y_AXIS, 5);"));

//Z (Rudder)

MapKey(&Joystick, H2L, REXEC(0, 100, "TrimDXAxis(DX_ZROT_AXIS, -5);"));
    MapKey(&Joystick, H2R, REXEC(0, 100, "TrimDXAxis(DX_ZROT_AXIS, 5);"));

MapKeyIO(&Joystick, S1,
    EXEC("TrimDXAxis(DX_X_AXIS, CURRENT);TrimDXAxis(DX_Y_AXIS, CURRENT); TrimDXAxis(DX_ZROT_AXIS, CURRENT);"),// Locks X- Y- Z to current position 
    EXEC("TrimDXAxis(DX_X_AXIS, SET(0));TrimDXAxis(DX_Y_AXIS
    , SET(0));TrimDXAxis(DX_ZROT_AXIS, SET(0));"));  // Cancel All trims ( X- Y - Z )
    Inconvenient: Requires a Thrustmaster Warthog or T.16000M.

I just want the correct trim that belongs to the plane. (CloD) G-50 I a looking at your fake trims.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Hi guys I have read through this because I have the same issue. Hands off the plane (Spit and Hurri) rolls strongly to the right.

This has been programed in clearly in the interests of 'realism'.

Yes the planes did not have trim tabs but that is not the point. The answer in reality was quite crude and involved a hammer.

After flight testing the pilot would get the trailing edge of the aileron literally hammered slightly up or down depending on what was needed. Each plane was different because of the hand built nature of the units.

Naturally the plane would roll against the airscrew but the aileron was adjusted on the ground to counter it and provide straight hands off level flight in the cruise. This was done during the first flight test and there is no way any plane would be allowed to go into combat without the ailerons being balanced. The last thing a fighter pilots needs is to have to provide constant heavy pressure to one side of the control column the whole flight let alone in battle.

What we should have is a plane that flies reasonably level in normal flight but has increased torque effects as rpm rises. What we actually have would never have occurred in a battle ready plane.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    220.96 MB

Quote Originally Posted by GingerWhinger View Post

Naturally the plane would roll against the airscrew but the aileron was adjusted on the ground to counter it and provide straight hands off level flight in the cruise. This was done during the first flight test and there is no way any plane would be allowed to go into combat without the ailerons being balanced. The last thing a fighter pilots needs is to have to provide constant heavy pressure to one side of the control column the whole flight let alone in battle.

What we should have is a plane that flies reasonably level in normal flight but has increased torque effects as rpm rises.

It is actually doing what you say it should.
    If you take off, it rolls to the left. If you fly faster than cruise speed, it rolls right.

The issue is, you're not flying at cruise speed and also not at normal flight.
    100% throttle and high speed level flight is not cruising.

Fly at climbing speeds, and you will see that this is also the combat speed, where you are able to turn and roll the best withoug having you to counter any rolling! (If you didn't mess up the rudder)

Depending on your rpm and throttle, the hands free speed rises, the higher it is. (It rolls to left when you're slower then the optimum speed for current throttle/rpm, means the torque is stronger and the plane is rolling more left)

Solution for you is, climb more or fly slower until you do not roll anymore. This is the best climb, climbing takes long and its necessary to be higher then the enemy anyway, and you're able to turn the best with these elevator trim setting.
    So actually this is the best setting to fight and climb.
    Last edited by Tibsun; Dec-29-2016 at 17:00.

13. Likes ATAG_((dB)), ATAG_Highseas, BOO, Hurricane liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

No sorry I can't agree. Clearly if this was the case we wouldn't have a whole topic on it here and many other forums.
    The plane violently rolls to the right at any speed which is totally unrealistic.
    Even if you fly the accu sim Spit in FSX you won't get this. And no pilot flying the real Spits will ever say this is what happens.
    Whether you believe it or not doesn't bother me. I am just stating historical fact that the ailerons were shaped post manufacture in the flight test before delivery to the squadron to counter the torque and you didn't get what you encounter with this model. Individual pilots would then alter them to suit their particular flying style and preference. You would never have to fly with a constant hard pressure to the left in normal flight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

People begging for "Frankenstein" trims should see this video explanation about the "propeller gyro precession":

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.co...029#post251029

16. Likes LuseKofte liked this post
    The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

The plane violently rolls to the right at any speed which is totally unrealistic.
    We are always looking to improve everything and do read all the comments and suggestions and welcome them, but I feel like the above statement is a little dramatic.

If your plane is truly rolling to the right in a violent manner, than we need to dig into more issues on your end on why this is happening. If so, can you post a video of this happening so we can take a look?

Thanks
    Last edited by ♣_Spiritus_♣; Jan-02-2017 at 10:28.

18. Likes ATAG_Colander, BOO, LuseKofte liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    80.50 MB

I am far from being a great pilot, but I have to say the only time my Spitfire rolls "violently to the right" Is after a 109 has graciously removed my starboard wing with the aid of its canon.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core, 16-Thread
    32GB RAM
    NVidia GeForce GTX1080 (Asus Rog Strix GTX 1080)
    1 TB SSD
    LG 4K 55" TV
    Gear-Falcon General Purpose Joystick Controller, Gear-Falcon Quadrant and Trim, Gear-Falcon BF-109 Water Radiator Crank

"Find out what you don't do well, and then DON'T DO IT!" - Alf

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.73 MB

Clearly if this was the case we wouldn't have a whole topic on it here and many other forums.
    True! No humans have ever been been on the moon either. There are many threads in many forums to prove it

This thread is more about asking the possibility to adjust the trim before spawning to one's preferred speed.

The plane violently rolls to the right at any speed
    As stated above, we would like to see a video of this. If the word "violently" applies to what you are experiencing, then it seems like there must be something else going on as the rest of us get just a "gentle" roll.

21. Likes ATAG_Snapper, BOO, LuseKofte, Baffin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.51 GB

Cool Re: Please please create a mod that allows aileron trim in Spits and Hurricanes

Quote Originally Posted by Tibsun View Post
    It is actually doing what you say it should.
    If you take off, it rolls to the left. If you fly faster than cruise speed, it rolls right.
    I understand about propeller torque and the pull to the left.

But i didn't know about the tendency to pull right , at anything higher than cruising speed.

Thanks for that Tibsun, some more excellent info to remember.

Best regards,
    Mike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I understand about propeller torque and the pull to the left.

But i didn't know about the tendency to pull right , at anything higher than cruising speed.

Thanks for that Tibsun, some more excellent info to remember.

Best regards,
    Mike.
    Everything you ever wanted (or didn't want) to know about propellers... [Pages 5-28 through 5-32]

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_poli...7_phak_ch5.pdf
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.51 GB

Quote Originally Posted by Baffin View Post
    Everything you ever wanted (or didn't want) to know about propellers... [Pages 5-28 through 5-32]

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_poli...7_phak_ch5.pdf
    You really know how to spoil a girl, Baffin.

Thanks very much for the link.

All the best,
    Mike.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    68.34 MB

I am a new guy here and so far I am having the same problem with the planes rolling right.... Makes it not any fun at all to try to fly level... I mean if it was just a slight bit of roll I can understand. but I can take my hand off the stick and with in 5 seconds it will be upside down and heading for the ground....
    I really want to fly this sim but it is frustrating.... spit is worse than the 109.... just curious if anyone has found out why this is happening.. I can fly DCS BOS and ROF without any issues... seems it is just COD... I like COD best but not getting much enjoyment out of it so far...

w0odi

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

All aircraft have to be trimmed to stay in level flight.

You need to set trim buttons, and you need to trim the aircraft using the ball centering on the 109, or the sideslip needle on the Spit/Hurri.

There is no Aileron trim on any of the fighters, you can only adjust Rudder trim... which means that only at certain speeds and rpms, will the aircraft be in trim.

This is the way they were historically, there were no prop driven aircraft which flew in perfect trim without adjustment.

Quote Originally Posted by w0odi View Post
    I am a new guy here and so far I am having the same problem with the planes rolling right.... Makes it not any fun at all to try to fly level... I mean if it was just a slight bit of roll I can understand. but I can take my hand off the stick and with in 5 seconds it will be upside down and heading for the ground....
    I really want to fly this sim but it is frustrating.... spit is worse than the 109.... just curious if anyone has found out why this is happening.. I can fly DCS BOS and ROF without any issues... seems it is just COD... I like COD best but not getting much enjoyment out of it so far...

w0odi

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Not trying to be a smart arse.

But surely asking for aileron trim in a spitfire is like asking for your classic car to be converted from a manual gear box to an automatic. Just so you don't have to commit so much input while driving. Or in this case flying.

You may as well ask for a chauffeur.

And you can get that effect by watching u tube videos.

It really doesn't make any sense to me.

Anyway.

Can anyone write a mod that gives me a Butler? Oh and a pretty French maid. ?

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

28. Likes Hurricane, No.119_Viper (VK-S) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Highseas View Post
    Not trying to be a smart arse.

But surely asking for aileron trim in a spitfire is like asking for your classic car to be converted from a manual gear box to an automatic. Just so you don't have to commit so much input while driving. Or in this case flying.

You may as well ask for a chauffeur.

And you can get that effect by watching u tube videos.

It really doesn't make any sense to me.

Anyway.

Can anyone write a mod that gives me a Butler? Oh and a pretty French maid. ?
    Squadrons based in France during the Phoney War in 1940 often stayed in French Chateaus where there were lots of French maids.

And I believe several titled English lords donated the use of their estates, including butlers for some RAF Squadrons during the BoB...

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Hrmph ... maybe I will have to change to the blue side after all.
    Or that's just one more reason for a Battle of France scenario!

http://www.tipsytotes.com/assets/ima...%20%20Maid.jpg

Oh please, please, please ...

Aileron trim? Who need ailerons???
    Last edited by DerDa; Apr-08-2017 at 08:18.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    213.59 MB

Derda lets do it, I just fall in love with that geerrl.
    Last edited by Maru; Apr-08-2017 at 09:12.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

You need to set trim buttons, and you need to trim the aircraft using the ball centering on the 109, or the sideslip needle on the Spit/Hurri.

There is no Aileron trim on any of the fighters, you can only adjust Rudder trim... which means that only at certain speeds and rpms, will the aircraft be in trim.
    Before someone misread and start complain that Bf 109 "rudder trim" don't work.

... you can only adjust Rudder trim... in Spitfire, Hurricane, G.50 (but should not be able to do in this plane) not in Bf 109, their rudder trim is fixed for cruise speed.
    Last edited by 1lokos; Apr-08-2017 at 10:59.

Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    463.16 MB

Trim being applied by the Erks.

...He added: "John has got the engineers to make a few adjustments to trim NH341's ailerons which will improve her stability in flight. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-39529403

I don't know much about these things but suspect this would be to adjust the trim for stable flight at a particular preferred (probably cruise) speed?

Septic.

P.S. I (and I suspect many) find it possible to stooge around in a Spit or Hurri using just rudder and elevator trims. In fact I can trim straight and level for long enough to allow a frantic-quick smoke, find the figgy duffs and mash a cuppa in an emergency!
    Last edited by ATAG_Septic; Apr-08-2017 at 11:29.
    [CENTER][CENTER] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]
    [/CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    16.16 MB

Here is how trim a spit aileron, start watching at about 40:40 and watch for a couple minutes:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234