Thread: What are the steps to take to fly a Do17Z ?

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.63 GB

What are the steps to take to fly a Do17Z ?

Hi,
    running CoD 4.312
    Wish to fly the Do17Z, so...
    I went planes, chose blue, german, bomber,lll/KG76
    9 staffel, then clicked on spitfire ll and see Me109, Me110 He111, Ju88 but no Do17Z

where is the Do17Z ?

I want to fly the raid on Kenley 18 aug 9KG76 9 aircraft but also to be able to just fly Do17Z, why Ju88 and he111 in the images to select but no Do17Z ?

BOBC

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Re: What are the steps to take to fly a Do17Z ?

Is not flyable by players, is AI only.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.63 GB

Quote Originally Posted by 1lokos View Post
    Is not flyable by players, is AI only.
    Oh no, I am totally gutted.

Do17Z flew more than the Ju88 in the BoB, yet Ju88 is in that list. With the raising of the Goodwin sands Do17Z interest in the Do17Z has probably increased.

I was always aware of the three bombers when reading my first ever BoB book all three were there, and always are in any book on the BoB featuring the bombers.

Why did Oleg do so much on ground vehicles and not Do17Z, doesnt make sense.

Is anyone able to add the Do17Z as flyable ?

I see someone is doing a Wildcat/ Martlet, yet we need a Do17Z.

I dont understand the desire to work on non BoB when an important major player in the BoB isnt available.

What is required to get the Do17Z flyable ? If its a case of it needs recreating in CAD then I might be able to help, having created accurate drawings of it.

CoD has been out for some years now, and we see non BoB aircraft being created, so I presume the important BoB aircraft have no issues in that case, so surely Do17Z should exist as flyable by now !

I want to fly them over Kenley at the height and speed and direction they were at on Aug 18th, how can I do this ?

I guess a separate thread on getting it flyable might be best.

BOBC

The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

We are creating a new theatre hints the new, non-BoB aircraft.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Building a pilot cockpit, bombardier and gunner stations for this aircraft would be an enormous task... one which would take a professional 3D artist a minimum of six months.

No one is being paid for the work done here and those who have volunteered are working on other projects. Finding someone who could commit to this task would be extremely difficult.

There are already two excellent German twin engined bombers available, which are overall much better aircraft than the Do-17... I very much doubt if the Dornier was completed, it would be flown by a lot of players.

The already existing German bomber aircraft were continued on in service with the Luftwaffe after the Battle of Britain, whereas the Dornier was phased out. It makes more sense to develop the existing aircraft to their later models.

Plus there is quite limited data on Do-17 performance.

For all the above reasons, it is unlikely TF will build a flyable Do-17/215.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BOBC View Post
    Oh no, I am totally gutted.

Do17Z flew more than the Ju88 in the BoB, yet Ju88 is in that list. With the raising of the Goodwin sands Do17Z interest in the Do17Z has probably increased.

I was always aware of the three bombers when reading my first ever BoB book all three were there, and always are in any book on the BoB featuring the bombers.

Why did Oleg do so much on ground vehicles and not Do17Z, doesnt make sense.

Is anyone able to add the Do17Z as flyable ?

I see someone is doing a Wildcat/ Martlet, yet we need a Do17Z.

I dont understand the desire to work on non BoB when an important major player in the BoB isnt available.

What is required to get the Do17Z flyable ? If its a case of it needs recreating in CAD then I might be able to help, having created accurate drawings of it.

CoD has been out for some years now, and we see non BoB aircraft being created, so I presume the important BoB aircraft have no issues in that case, so surely Do17Z should exist as flyable by now !

I want to fly them over Kenley at the height and speed and direction they were at on Aug 18th, how can I do this ?

I guess a separate thread on getting it flyable might be best.

BOBC

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

If you do not already have a copy of IL-2 1946 Version 4.12 get one. Then MOD is with HSFX 7.03

Pretty much any plane you can think of flying is in that pack. Go to www.Mission4today.com to download 1000's of awesome offline missions and campaigns.

Good luck !

--RC
    Last edited by II/JG77_RC; Jan-17-2016 at 06:26.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.61 GB

I know how you feel, BOBC. The Do-17 Z is such a beautiful and important plane that it should have been flyable from day 1.
    Author of the Their Finest Hour, Their Greatest Challenge, Desert Hawks, Eagles over Tobruk, On Ne Passe Pas!, and Rising from the Ashes campaigns for Cliffs of Dover Blitz and Desert Wings - Tobruk.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.63 GB

Quote Originally Posted by Cybermat47 View Post
    I know how you feel, BOBC. The Do-17 Z is such a beautiful and important plane that it should have been flyable from day 1.
    Thank you.

The Do17Z was a key player in the BoB. It needs to be flyable. not sure why some of the objects I see in the vehicles list had their modellers attention instead.

I just dont see why Oleg spent so much time on other objects when a key player was made AI only.

If aircraft that were phased out are subject to being created only as non flyable, what about the Defiant ? or Gladiator ?

CAD modelling was in his grasp, to have made Gladiator AI and Do17Z flyable when it featured more then Ju88 or Gladiator would not have been questioned.

Not so much flight data known, well a few mph here and there different wouldnt be picked up on. same engine as in the Ju52. 215 and 17Z same shape, so some data from 215 could be used. I would rather fly Do17Z than be denied if I know some characteristics were an educated guess.

TF admittedly to fill this oversight would have to model the interior. I have drawn up Do17Z, I am the only person to have done so, up until recent publications on the Do17Z with plans, .

Certain interior components are standard to all bombers do exist anyway.

I would be happy to create the interior in Rhino3D if someone could then skin it. I would draw it with surfaces as if full size. I do not work with 3DSmax and triangles etc. My model could be taken and converted to the required polygon limit. The exterior we already have.

Downside is I have other projects to also fit in, so time is the only limit here.

Can not a 3D model be taken from IL6 if it has flyable as its all the same original author ?

This is a BoB sim after all and in sorting out its basic flaws and unfinished business the Do17Z needs to be flyable, more so than a Martlett.

BOBC

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.63 GB

Hi,
    for what is a BoB sim,
    Is the Martlett I see an already existing 3D object or has it been made when the Do17Z a massive key BoB player aircraft is still non flyable ?

I also hope we soon see Spitfire Mk1s in this BoB sim when choosing spitfire Mk1's.

BOBC

The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

The Martlet is an entirely new aircraft for the entirely new theatre that is 5.0.

11. Likes Bonditaria, ATAG_Vampire, danperin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

TF is moving forwards not backwards.

TF 5.0 is a new Theater, Libya/Egypt.

No Do-17's were used there.

On the other hand, there were additional models of the Ju-88 and Heinkel 111H used in North Africa and we are including these.

The only possibility we might make the Do-17 flyable is if we do a Battle of France expansion... which is not currently in planning.