Total Downloaded

Re: Ok, so here's a little extra: Oculus Rift for CoD

Yada Yada Yada

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    19.59 MB

Last edited by Robusti; Jun-28-2016 at 16:03.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.13 MB

any chance for you to have it work for the vive?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.73 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Fresh Giant View Post
    any chance for you to have it work for the vive?
    Work on this is currently on hold as progress was needed in other fronts but yes, once ready it should work on vive.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

http://www.pcworld.com/article/30883...et-uproar.html

Thank God, maybe now we can have an end to all the political crap that invades these forums. The whining was getting a little much.
    Last edited by dogbite; Jun-30-2016 at 18:04.

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    19.59 MB

Quote Originally Posted by dogbite View Post

Thank God, maybe now we can have an end to all the political crap that invades these forums. The whining was getting a little much.
    Link is dead.

I think it is the one I posted already

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
    "This is huge."

"If not an official endorsement of Revive, it at least seems like a tacit acknowledgement that hey, maybe starting a war with the most tech-savvy ten percent of VR users isn’t a great idea."

Thank goodness Oculus saw the huge blunder of hardware DRM and corrected it, even if they still are not as open as other HMD manufacturers. The massive outcry must have hurt their bottom line and the flip-flop prevented themselves from losing any more good will. Main thing is the community is better off without hardware DRM. Open VR is the future.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.72 GB

FYI & I hope this appropriate in this thread:
    The newest update enabling new vehicles and a new feature, HTC VIV support, is being discussed here:
    http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/...-new-vehicles/
    It may have some bearing on similar support here at CloD? I'm not tech savvy enough to really understand all the lingo about specs & upgrades that will be necessary for my rig , but from what I have read here ( & there) I'm thinking I had better wait 6 months or more until jumping iin and draining my wallet for the right headset & new guts in my PC.Maybe by then it will be more user friendly ( i.e. "plug in & go",) than is possible now?
    Another thought : maybe TF 5.0 ,whenever it appears, will be more enabled for VR gear? Again perhaps worth the wait before buying in?
    Finally in this thread it mentions that Oculus has thrown in the towel on exclusivity & that too might change the game on what to buy?
    Any thoughts on what to advise people like me who are waiting in the wings?

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    The newest update enabling new vehicles and a new feature, HTC VIV support, is being discussed here:
    It may have some bearing on similar support here at CloD? I'm not tech savvy enough to really understand all the lingo about specs & upgrades that will be necessary for my rig , but from what I have read here ( & there) I'm thinking I had better wait 6 months or more until jumping iin and draining my wallet for the right headset & new guts in my PC.Maybe by then it will be more user friendly ( i.e. "plug in & go",) than is possible now?
    Another thought : maybe TF 5.0 ,whenever it appears, will be more enabled for VR gear? Again perhaps worth the wait before buying in?
    Finally in this thread it mentions that Oculus has thrown in the towel on exclusivity & that too might change the game on what to buy?
    Both Vive and the Rift are very good systems, with the Rift having an edge in ergonomics, displays, optics, and ATW software.
    The general consensus of flight devs, and flight sim users with both headsets, prefer the Rift.

Rift headset > Vive headset
    Rift ATW software > Vive judder software
    Vive headset + Wands > Rift headset
    Rift headset + Touch > Vive headset + Wands

If your a primarily a flight simmer the Rift is likely the better choice. If your more into roomscale the Vive is likely the better choice atleast until the Touch controllers come out later this year.

As far as flight sims goes, DCS, BOS, WT, and COD will likely have support for both systems. DCS has been implementing support for both VR systems for quite sometime, and users with both units suggest better performance in DCS with the Rift. BUT options in DCS have to be turned down considerably in some case to achieve the high frame rates necessary for VR. In my limited testing COD appears to be the best optimized to keep the highest settings while maintaining the frame rate necessary for VR. My only reservation is Team Fusion is thinking of using OpenVR instead of the Oculus SDK. The Oculus SDK, ATW software, and Pixel Density options are currently working better than OpenVR in DCS. Vive users can now add Pixel Density thru SteamVR, but without better ATW software, the Vive struggles to run DCS with regular Pixel Density. Trust me the last thing you want in VR is judder. OpenVR might eventually be the software of choice, but it will be very hard for it to compete, with the software advances Oculus can make with its huge internal resources, and their partnerships with Facebook/Samsung/Microsoft. It will likely depend on which way Nvidia/AMD go, and who they partner with. If I were Valve, I would be working overtime to forge a deal with them.

The VR situation is very fluid, and it will be very interesting to watch.

Its probably a good idea to wait for the second generation of VR headsets, as there is still a lot of room for improvement. BUT most people are enjoying what VR has to offer now, and have little interest in going back to a gaming monitor.
    Last edited by Chivas; Jul-01-2016 at 14:00.

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    19.59 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    Unless you must have the latest tech in its raw state, I'd say wait. Most people do not want the raw state or want to tinker to get it working well and have yet to adopt it, but if you do like that sort of thing, then you should get it. Right now most sims do not even support it properly and there are still many issues they are trying to overcome. VR is still very early tech and only a shadow of what it will be in the near future. By next gen, most of the headsets will probably have adopted the strengths of their competitors and they will become more similar in features. Open VR is the future of VR and its success.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Chivas View Post
    . the Vive struggles to run DCS with regular Pixel Density.

Have you used DCS with a vive? If not, what are you basing this on?

You've made quite a few statements in that post, but did not support any of them, can you provide any evidence to support them? I haven't been paying much attention to the merits and demerits of the various SDK's but I'm not one to take peoples word on such things

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by ush View Post
    Have you used DCS with a vive? If not, what are you basing this on?

You've made quite a few statements in that post, but did not support any of them, can you provide any evidence to support them? I haven't been paying much attention to the merits and demerits of the various SDK's but I'm not one to take peoples word on such things

Sorry I'm not going to do the research for you, if you have issues with my long research on the subject do your own. Check out the DCS forums, and you will find most users who have both, prefer the Rift, for a number of reasons. That's not to say that the Vive is a bad choice, its just that the Rift is a little better choice especially for flight sims. You may prefer reading Icarus assessments, he scourers the internet for links, and only has two requirements, the articles must be positive toward Vive, or negative toward the Rift.

Increasing the pixel density, takes a big hit on performance. Rift users can currently take more of hit on performance partly because the Oculus ATW software works a little better than the Vive equivalent in maintaining the feeling of constant 90 FPS, and reduce judder.

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    19.59 MB

Chivas, I was told you are lying and personally attacking me again. I have you on ignore for your obnoxious behavior. When will you grow up and ignore me? Post 302 and 309 prove you a liar.
    Last edited by Robusti; Jul-02-2016 at 22:59.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.73 MB

This thread has been going way off topic and into dangerous places lately.
    I will re-open it when I have something new OP related to post.

14. Likes ATAG_Septic liked this post
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011