Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: DCS: Normandy WW2

5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Re: DCS: Normandy WW2

Yet to be converted to DCS but even at the full price the assets and the map still seem reasonable given the hundreds, if not thousands of hours the purchaser will get out of them (compared say to the 23 mins of pleasure the last £2.40 bottle of Abbot has just given me )

Still looking forward to TFS4.5 and 5.0 more tho!
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

" Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"

2. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Any WWII Combat Flight Sim is a bargain in my estimation... there's few enough of them out there.

4. Likes Lensman, ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    376.42 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Bounder! View Post
    Not too impressed that they are splitting the ww2 map and ww2 units as separate DLC.
    Yes and no Bounder, if you are interested in WW2 you can buy it as package for $47.99 on pre sales or at full price $59.99 that include all of the units. For those who aren't into the WW2 planes but would like the map they can by only the map for $44.99. I agree it could be miss understood by some and leave some people frustrated however.

But again for us the WW2 fan the price is 48$ on pre release that include ALL the units.
    Last edited by ATAG_((dB)); Mar-09-2017 at 03:29.
    It takes an airplane to bring out the worst in a pilot.
    ((dB)) youTube Channel

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

[QUOTE=ATAG_((dB))

But again for us the WW2 fan the price is 48$ on pre release that include ALL the units.[/QUOTE]

The WWII fans most probably will already have some (in my case two) of the birds from backing the original crowd funding thingy. So now I would have to pay for two ac that I already own, or buy map and all missing planes separately. I don't know how this would be moneywise, but it is not what I would call customer friendly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

To me DCS are mostly unplayable, jets I am interested in get shot down by F 15 from miles away, and WW2 planes do not match in performance and timeframe, not even The Normandy map fits the 109. And you are left with a simulator you can dogfight only in.
    The DCS brand is a collection of different planes from different time era, not compatible in the same server and too few to fill the servers to provide a match.
    I like many things in DCS but those things get blasted away in online servers, choppers and such. So I am very grateful for the offline features.
    For a guy liking big and heavy or slow and clumsy, online servers in any flightsim is nonsense.

8. Likes Hurricane liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    376.42 MB

Quote Originally Posted by DerDa View Post
    The WWII fans most probably will already have some (in my case two) of the birds from backing the original crowd funding thingy. So now I would have to pay for two ac that I already own, or buy map and all missing planes separately. I don't know how this would be moneywise, but it is not what I would call customer friendly.
    Hi Derda, no you got that wrong or I wasn't clear enough.

We will have to buy for the Normandie map and
    The WW2 units that include

• Tanks and Mobile Artillery
    o M4 Sherman Firefly
    o M4A4 Sherman with "Rhino" hedge cutter
    o Mk VIII Cromwell
    o Jagdpanzer IV
    o Sd.Kfz. 162
    o Tiger I
    o Tiger II
    o Panther V
    o Panzer IV
    o Sturmpanzer IV Brummbär, Sd. Kfz. 166
    o Jagdpanther G1

• Cars and Trucks
    o Jeep Willys
    o Truck CCKW 353
    o Bedford MWD
    o Kübelwagen 82
    o Truck Blitz 36-6700A

• Steam Train and Cars
    o DRG Class 86 locomotive
    o Tank wagon
    o G10 covered wagon
    o DR 50 Ton Flat Wagon Type SSys

• Anti-Aircraft Artillery
    o Bofors 40 mm gun
    o 8.8 cm Flak Gun 18, 36, & 37
    o 2 cm Flak 30/38/Flakvierling

• Ships
    o LCVP Higgins
    o LST Mk2
    o USS Samuel Chase

• Infantry
    o US soldier
    o UK soldier
    o German soldier

• Aircraft
    o B-17G bomber

The DCS: World War II Assets Pack will continue to grow with DCS: Combined Arms compatibility and free asset additions that includes:

• New tanks
    • SdKfz 234/2 "Puma"
    • Sd.Kfz. 251
    • Sd.Kfz.2 Kettenkrad
    • Horch staff car
    • E-boat Schnellboot type S-130
    • Uboat type 7
    • German search lights
    • Barrage balloons
    • Avro Lancaster
    • Hawker Typhoon
    • C-47
    • Ju-88
    • Fw 190 A-6 and A-8
    • Bf 109 G-6
    • A-20 Havoc/Boston
    • B-24
    • B-25
    • B-26

All that for 48$ but if you are a Kickstarter backer it is free. That does not include the planes, it include the map and the units that's all.

Why have they chosen to separate the ww2 unit and the Normandie map (I know they write it with the Y but last time I check Normandie was in France) is up to speculation from my part but I think they want to please their main customer base (Jets planes) because they have showed interest into buying the map but careless about the ground units.
    It takes an airplane to bring out the worst in a pilot.
    ((dB)) youTube Channel

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

You don't have to buy any new planes at all. DCS will still work as it does now, you buy the planes you want to fly. If you don't have the Spitfire you don't need to buy it to see other players flying it online. All flyable aircraft are included as AI in DCS world regardless of map.

What we have are options of buying a ww2 map and/or new non flyable ww2 AI units to use along side the free caucasus map and any planes you own.

You can buy the ww2 map only and fly your planes on this. ($44.99)

You can buy the AI asset pack only and presumably fly on the free caucasus map with ww2 AI units ($29.99).

You can buy the ww2 map and asset pack and fly in ww2 environment with peroid units. ($49.99 pre-sale, $60 thereafter).

The ww2 map will be released on DCS 2.X (Edge engine - same as Nevada), not on the older 1.5 engine which will end when caucasus map is updated to new engine. The Edge engine is a free download (currently named DCS World Alpha build), you download it and use the Edge compatible maps you've bought (Nevada and WW2 Normandy maps).
    Last edited by Bounder!; Mar-09-2017 at 06:00.
    My Cliffs of Dover movies [youtube link]
    My PC specs: Win10 64; CPU i7-3820 4.3GHz; 16GB RAM, GPU Nvidia 1070 (8GB).

11. Likes ATAG_((dB)), Lensman, ATAG_Flare liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Those of us that backed the kickstarter and are getting the ww2 map as part of rewards will also get the ww2 asset pack.

A lot of us we're worried yesterday on seeing the news that the map and new ww2 AI units are to be sold separately. This appeared to possibly split a small online playerbase even further between those who had the map and asset pack and those only buying the map. The latter group will be unable to join multiplayer servers running with the asset pack despite owning the ww2 map itself.

After thinking about it I think it may actually have the opposite effect of splitting the playerbase. If the ww2 units had been made free to use on any map, a larger group may have forgone paying $50 for the Normandy map and simply carried on with the free caucasus map and not paid for the development of the new units. Now we still have the choice of carrying on using the free map but to use the ww2 content you have to pay something. This recoup some cost for ED and may encourage more to buy both the map and content. I guess this is part of the thinking behind it and it might not be such a terrible idea after all.
    My Cliffs of Dover movies [youtube link]
    My PC specs: Win10 64; CPU i7-3820 4.3GHz; 16GB RAM, GPU Nvidia 1070 (8GB).

13. Likes Lensman, ATAG_((dB)), ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Of course people is "moaning" about Normandy 1944 price politics (expected), but:

Normandy 1944 map + AI 1944 cost ~60$ = (the worthless, IMO) NTTR map price - no exclusive AI pack included there.

Normandy 1944 map without AI and so with discount is for ones that don't like WWII, but after years of Georgia landscape want a new map for play in "Final Countdown" style (after all DCSW is all about "what if's") - and if eventually get tired of this can buy the AI pack standalone. In the same way the ones that only want WWII Assets for place in Georgia or NTTR will can, since many people like create "What if" situations, the 'W' in DCSW. More sales options = more sales.

So the options is more Win, Win than otherwise.
    Last edited by 1lokos; Mar-10-2017 at 11:29.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Thanks to all for clarification.

S!

DerDa

16. Likes ATAG_((dB)) liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I understand that it can be too expensive for some, but that doesn't change the fact that these products are expensive to create, and enough profit has to be made to even consider continuing to support and addon to the product. Personally I think these products are incredibly cheap when compared to the hours of entertainment they provide.

18. Likes ATAG_((dB)), Jugdriver liked this post
    Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    173.64 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Chivas View Post
    I understand that it can be too expensive for some, but that doesn't change the fact that these products are expensive to create, and enough profit has to be made to even consider continuing to support and addon to the product. Personally I think these products are incredibly cheap when compared to the hours of entertainment they provide.
    Thank you Chivas, my thoughts also. However there are those who will disagree.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

I have no problem understanding the prices, I just installed X plane , getting a descant terrain and airport cost you your children, a flyable chopper the same. Worst part is I bought v 10 several month ago , and now it is 11. To have one of those simulators installed, a fortune have to be spent to make it look remotely as you believed it would when buying it.
    In DCS every plane is a sim by itself, own campaign and training. No problem at all seing it cost money to make, BUTTT!!! the progression go in all direction, nothing is finished.

Manual Creation Group ATAG_Ezzie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Chivas View Post
    Agree. I was thinking about this the other day. I spent about $4500 oz buying a new pc to play COD in feb 2014 and since then according to steam i have over 2100 hrs. So $2 per hour seems a pretty cheap hobby compared to others. and the more i fly the cheaper the hobby becomes. If you take out the pc cost and just work this out based on the $50 i paid for the game and the monthly internet cost then its an incredibly cheap form of entertainment. But understand not everyone sees it this way.

Ezzie

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

And if we add all the hours we didn't have to spend in the pub because of flightsims, we all should be millionaires by now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

Newsletter

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.c...r10032017.html

The DCS: Normandy Map and the DCS: World War II Assets Pack will be available as a 20%-off, pre-purchase bundle for $47.99. Upon release in late May 2017, the DCS: Normandy 1944 Map and DCS: World War II Assets Pack bundle will be sold for $59.99, and the stand-alone DCS: Normandy 1944 Map for $44.99 and the stand-alone DCS: World War II Assets pack for $29.99.

Note: Those that took part in the DCS: World War II Kickstarter campaign, and provided a high enough contribution to receive the Normandy map, will receive the assets pack for free.

Sincerely,
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4036&dateline=1382347  940

If it's brown, shoot it down!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.51 GB

It looks really impressive. But i have my hands full just learning about CLOD.

Best regards,
    Mike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbert View Post

Best regards,
    Mike.
    yeah...

I considered it...

but then I'd need to also buy a plane I actually want to fly...

so....

two minds...

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

26. Likes Hurricane liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbert View Post

Best regards,
    Mike.
    It appears as if you are of sound and sober mind Dogbert

Trust me, CLOD will keep you busy for a long long while.
    Many of the DCS modules are more study sim orientated with regards to aircraft systems of each module and flicking switches.
    I love that stuff make no mistake, but CLOD will offer you hundreds of hours of fun and frustration in the same breath in trying to learn how to methodically and systematically eek out the smallest advantage over your opponent.
    A more pure online flying by the seat of your pants experience for sure!!

No matter how good you think you are getting, there are no guarantees, and you need to keep your wits about you and your wingman close in order to stay alive.
    Make a mistake and you will pay for it, even at the hands of a much less experienced pilot.
    Lots of discipline required to fly CLOD well and stay alive.

It's a wonderful challenge and great fun at the same time.
    Last edited by Vlerkies; Mar-10-2017 at 12:09.
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4036&dateline=1382347  940

If it's brown, shoot it down!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

Yes I am afraid COD will be the WW 2 sim I fully will be involved in. It is the dammed thing it have to take so much time all these simulators. I am just addicted to DCS offline flying in choppers. You can push [pause] and do other stuff.
    We will see neither of my installed simulators will go away any time soon. So I probably enjoy them for what they are over a 10 year span

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    325.57 MB

Recording of Saturday's live stream. Q & A and tour of some of the Normandy map.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php...7&postcount=75

Enjoy!!

~S~
    Possunt quia posse videntur (They can because they think they can) - 19 Squadron (originally Virgil)

30. Likes farley, ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    184.7 KB

Yeah, I always kind of wonder if this is a smart business model or not...

I think if they charged a little less, they'd get more exposure, more people in the game, and thus generate more sales.

Still, it's never been sold as a traditional game. Rather than have to wait several years for a complete expansion pack to come out, you can purchase individual aircraft, maps, content separately, and as the game engine updates, it updates all of your purchased content. Also, (besides the simplified FC3 aircraft), most the aircraft offered are very high fidelity. You can interact with every switch and system in the cockpit.

I suggest buying content when it goes on sale. They usually have a sale every quarter, and a different bundle every month. You also get the bonus cash for purchasing a product from their site, which can take up to 25% or so off a product.

The sales are the only reason I own or ever got into many of the modules in the first place.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Well, in the end the business model does not change a thing.
    That big argument of ‘a) voice of reason’ against ‘b) voice of Iwantthat’ already started in my mind:
    “b) Iwantthat!
    a) but you don’t have time
    b) Iwantthat!
    a) you never even learned to take of with the 190 or the 109.
    b) Iwantthat!
    a) and it is real money
    b) Iwantthat!!!”

The result of this argument is always determined from the very beginning…

33. Likes Hurricane, Talisman, ATAG_Lolsav liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.51 GB

Lightbulb Re: DCS: Normandy WW2

The more i read this thread the more i am tempted to download the base game.

I could always request the two Normandy modules for my birthday.

Best regards,
    Mike.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Well, in the end the business model does not change a thing.
    That big argument of ‘a) voice of reason’ against ‘b) voice of Iwantthat’ already started in my mind:
    “b) Iwantthat!
    a) but you don’t have time
    b) Iwantthat!
    a) you never even learned to take of with the 190 or the 109.
    b) Iwantthat!
    a) and it is real money
    b) Iwantthat!!!”

The result of this argument is always determined from the very beginning…
    Thank you so much for this post. My day is already more than half way done and you have made me smile for the first time today. Thanks again for cheering me up.

Happy landings,

56RAF_Talisman

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.51 GB

I just spent 4 hours downloading the base game

Got fibre here for heaven sake.

Going to have a look at it now.

Best wishes,
    Mike.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.51 GB

Cool Re: DCS: Normandy WW2

Pretty smooth on my setup even with the GTX660 and the "High" in game preset used.

I could be in the market for this, but only for Normandy as modern era does not interest me.

Although the F-86F Sabre and the Mig 15bis do look scrummy

Best regards,
    Mike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    184.7 KB

It's going to be some time before the Normandy map is worth having. If you buy it for early access, you'll get it in May and still have to download a separate executable (Alpha version) and they still might not have the DM finished for the aircraft. It will take some time for the game to finally be integrated into one executable. So you're not missing out too much in the mean time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

"download a separate executable (Alpha version)" > based on 2.0X = plenty of bugs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_NakedSquirrel View Post

I suggest buying content when it goes on sale. They usually have a sale every quarter, and a different bundle every month. You also get the bonus cash for purchasing a product from their site, which can take up to 25% or so off a product.

The sales are the only reason I own or ever got into many of the modules in the first place.
    This is all part of their evil plan! I started out as a backer so I am getting all the WWII content for my original backing contribution (which in my opinion I have gotten more than my moneys worth), then of course had to buy the Saber since it is such a cool plane, then bought the Mig 15 on sale (since you cant own the Saber and not own the Mig..) then bought the F-15 on SUPER sale, it was $3.00, how could I say no to that?? I honestly just wanted to fly it around offline since I was never into the modern stuff but then I was hooked. I now have over a dozen modules plus NTTR and CA and I am a full on Jet Junkie! Almost all of it was bought on sale, pre purchse with discount or with reward points.

IMO if you are a fan of WWII combat flight sims you should have them all, DCS, COD, BOS/M or at least as much as you can afford, financial support of the Genre is the only way to ensure the continued development of this stuff. DCS has along way to go with WWII, there are still some serious limitations but the release of the Normandy map and the asset pack is a HUGE step forward!

JD
    AKA_MattE
    Last edited by Jugdriver; Mar-22-2017 at 09:20.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast