Thread: Bf-109 F Radiator/Oil Cooler, Emergency Gear use

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    75.22 MB

Bf-109 F Radiator/Oil Cooler, Emergency Gear use

Hello fellow aviators!!

I've been doing a lot of Bf-109 F testing lately and have some questions. I checked through the forums and cannot find an answer to these.

1. What is the proper use of the radiator cut offs? I see the left and right cut offs inside the cockpit. Are these permanent when activated or on/off? I would also assume your engine cooling is reduced when only working off one rad scoop.

2. When I switch to manual radiator operation, is there any indication of the rad position in cockpit? Maybe like a wing indicator like in the Emil?

3. The oil cooling is a mystery to me...is it all fully automatic in the Friedrich? Is there any indication of the Oil cooler position or the oil temperature in cockpit? I see the pressure but not temperature...

4. I am also unsure about emergency gear operations. I don't want to put the sticks out into the wind when the engine is dead and I'm trying to maximize glide distance...but the gear seems to have very slow operation when the engine is dead...is there a hand pump or emergency extension like the Spits/Hurri's have?

Thanks for any input!!

Supporting Member 9./JG52_J-HAT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    266.37 MB

Re: Bf-109 F Radiator/Oil Cooler, Emergency Gear use

Hi SirMaverick,

1 - when one of your radiators is leaking (right or left), shut it off to prevent further loss of coolant. It will reduce your cooling performance, obviously, since you are reducing by half the cooling surface and also coolant volume flowing. So don‘t push the engine too much. Watch your temps.
    You can turn the circuit back on again by pressing the same key again. Valves are on either side of the cockpit, roughly where your knees would be.

2 - no. You may use the cooling upper radiator flap as a very rough reference (it will go above the wing top surface when fully / very much open). Look right or left, it‘s eight next to the fuselage, before the proper flap.

3 - fully automatic. Don‘t bother with it. To check temps, there is a pushbutton on the temperature indicator on the right side of the dash. Click and hold it pushed down with your mouse and the needle will bounce to the oil temperature value (lower scale, upper scale is the water temp, which the needle indicates by default).

4 - Landing gear emergency release should be mechanical iirc. Can‘t remember the last time I used it but once you engage the emergency gear handle, it unlocks the gears, they drop and lock once down. So no way of speeding it up...
    Belly landings aren‘t all that bad if you don‘t have enough speed / altitude and are worried about creating too much drag.
    Last edited by 9./JG52_J-HAT; May-14-2021 at 04:48. Reason: Typos and wrong dashboard side!
    i7 13700KF @5.3 Ghz | RTX 4090 526.86 1440p | 32 Gb RAM 6000 | Win10 64 bit | TrackIR 5 | VKB Gunfighter III | MFG Crosswind V2 | Warthog Throttle | Reverb G2 100% SteamVR SS

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    75.22 MB

Awesome...thanks J-Hat!!

I guess the trick to avoiding having to use the rad cut offs/emergency gear is to just avoid getting hit by anything...

4. Likes 9./JG52_J-HAT liked this post
    Supporting Member 9./JG52_J-HAT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    266.37 MB

Quote Originally Posted by SirMaverick View Post
    Awesome...thanks J-Hat!!

I guess the trick to avoiding having to use the rad cut offs/emergency gear is to just avoid getting hit by anything...

Yup, that‘s pretty much the only way

No problem, glad to help.
    i7 13700KF @5.3 Ghz | RTX 4090 526.86 1440p | 32 Gb RAM 6000 | Win10 64 bit | TrackIR 5 | VKB Gunfighter III | MFG Crosswind V2 | Warthog Throttle | Reverb G2 100% SteamVR SS