Thread: Problems with Spits

Student Pilot
    Born UK 1946 left and moved to Texas 2006. Been using computers since the eighties.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Problems with Spits

Hi everyone,

I wasn't able to play CLOD for a long, long time and am just getting back into it again after upgrading my PC.
    I'm not sure if I'll ever be good enough to play on the servers but, that is my ambition.

Currently, I'm re-learning taking off and landing or perhaps I should say taking off and mostly making large holes in the ground.

I am having problems with spits I don't think it is my joystick because the Hurricane does not to seem have this problem

The problem is, that as soon as I start the engine even without touching the joystick the torque even on tick over with the plane stationary twists the plane to the left in circles and needs full right rudder for correction it is almost impossible to achieve a take off because the rudder corrections required to keep it in a somewhat straight line make the aircraft unstable and uncontrollable even with full right rudder and very gentle flaps up it will often just twist left into the ground as it become airborne.

I've tried experimenting with the in program joystick settings and searching here and online for help so far with no success (Incidentally, I'm using a Logitech Extreme 3D pro) It may be a joystick fault but, it hasn't happened with the few other CLOD aircraft I have so far flown nor does it happen in the several other flight sims that I use.

The problem only occurs when the aircraft is on the ground if I manage to get a Spit airborne it will fly straight and level with minor trim adjustments.
    I considered that it might be some sort of aileron problem with my joystick but, that is not evident in flight.

I'm fairly sure that it is not me over controlling / compensating unless the spit is exceptionally sensitive during takeoff.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Don

2. Likes Hurricane liked this post
    5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Re: Problems with Spits

Quote Originally Posted by Don2712 View Post
    Hi everyone,

I wasn't able to play CLOD for a long, long time and am just getting back into it again after upgrading my PC.
    I'm not sure if I'll ever be good enough to play on the servers but, that is my ambition.

Currently, I'm re-learning taking off and landing or perhaps I should say taking off and mostly making large holes in the ground.

I am having problems with spits I don't think it is my joystick because the Hurricane does not to seem have this problem

The problem is, that as soon as I start the engine even without touching the joystick the torque even on tick over with the plane stationary twists the plane to the left in circles and needs full right rudder for correction it is almost impossible to achieve a take off because the rudder corrections required to keep it in a somewhat straight line make the aircraft unstable and uncontrollable even with full right rudder and very gentle flaps up it will often just twist left into the ground as it become airborne.

I've tried experimenting with the in program joystick settings and searching here and online for help so far with no success (Incidentally, I'm using a Logitech Extreme 3D pro) It may be a joystick fault but, it hasn't happened with the few other CLOD aircraft I have so far flown nor does it happen in the several other flight sims that I use.

The problem only occurs when the aircraft is on the ground if I manage to get a Spit airborne it will fly straight and level with minor trim adjustments.
    I considered that it might be some sort of aileron problem with my joystick but, that is not evident in flight.

I'm fairly sure that it is not me over controlling / compensating unless the spit is exceptionally sensitive during takeoff.

Don
    Hello

Firstly - your good enough NOW to play in the server - on TS you'll gets lots of help.

If youre hitting the throttle hard its going to loop. And yes the Spit is a biatch on take off. Try dropping the prop to 85%, full right rudder trim (trim not the rudder itself), 2 more clicks of trim to nose down (to help lift the tail), roll at 25-35% throttle, build to 50%, lift the tail and apply some right stick to counter any torque, at 60mph IAS begin to increase the throttle slowly to 90 or 100% keeping S and L until 160 IAS.

And take off INTO THE WIND- (Yellow boards facing you)

Regards

BOO
    Last edited by BOO; Jun-16-2016 at 14:19.
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

" Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Boosterdog View Post
    Hello

Firstly - your good enough NOW to play in the server - on TS you'll gets lots of help.

If youre hitting the throttle hard its going to loop. And yes the Spit is a biatch on take off. Try dropping the prop to 85%, full right rudder trim (trim not the rudder itself), 2 more clicks of trim to nose down (to help lift the tail), roll at 25-35% throttle, build to 50%, lift the tail and apply some right stick to counter any torque, at 60mph IAS begin to increase the throttle slowly to 90 or 100% keeping S and L until 160 IAS.

Regards

BOO
    Plus one... come to the server and get on teamspeak... its a really really helpful bunch.

also.. yes... As Boo says... into the wind helps immensly !!

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Quote Originally Posted by Highseas View Post
    Plus one... come to the server and get on teamspeak... its a really really helpful bunch.

also.. yes... As Boo says... into the wind helps immensly !!

Less chance of disgrace with the wind in your face....

Im full of em!!
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

6. Likes ATAG_Highseas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Hi everyone,

Don
    My take on controler sensitivity:

in the options for axis settings...

go 0.25 on stick

0.00 on throttle

anywhere betyween 0.75 and 1.00 on rudder

Basically 0.00 is minimum s curve (ie linear / kind of max sensitivity) and 1.00 maximum s curve.. ie not linear

i have found the settings above help massively

PM me if you want to.. im VERY happy to help with this.

on or off line.

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Hello Don

Please make sure you look at the Team Fusion Pilot Manuals on the Wiki page:

http://www.theairtacticalassaultgrou...hflightmanuals

Before you start your engine, make sure to put the 'Chocks In' to hold it stationary while it warms up. Then wait till oil temperature is 40C before taxing.

When taking off, use 3000 rpm, full fine pitch, and +6 boost, do not use +12 boost.

Line yourself up on the runway first before starting the takeoff run.

Almost all the problems people have with takeoffs relate to the use of too much throttle initially. These are aircraft powered by very high horsepower engines, developing a lot of torque and propellor thrust. When you slam the throttle to 100%, the aircraft is going to go sideways immediately.

Do not start your takeoff with full 100% throttle, initially start with only 50%... and wait till the aircraft is rolling straight and true down the runway before adding more. Use your rudder to correct direction changes caused by the torque effects. Gradually increase throttle till you are at full 100%. If you have taxied to the end of the runway before you start your takeoff run, you will have lots of runway distance, so don't feel you need to rush the process.

Hi everyone,

Don

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    88.77 MB

even with full right rudder and very gentle flaps up it will often just twist left into the ground as it become airborne.

Don
    Hi Don

First off there is no 'gentle flaps ' in the spit they are open / closed - they do not work like they do in the hurricane. You should use them for landing not take off in the spit - the spit wings generate more than enough lift for take off.

Second off lol - bind a key for chocks (in game its called somethig like instruct ground crew to insert/remove chocks). That allows you to start the engine and what have you without your plane windmilling into the wind as they tend to do on some maps.

Im assuming you are using the spit Mk1 a (100) which is probably your best choice - some of the earlier spits can be very finicky and better left for later on in the learning curve

On the take off roll (having lined up into the wind facing the yellow boards) it helps when learning to gradually introduce power. So having already selected 100% radiator open and fully fine (100%) prop pitch, dial in some right rudder trim, use full right aileron initially (until the tail wheel comes up basically) and gradually introduce power - say 40% to get you rolling let the speed build then 70% build more speed and then finally full power. This will reduce the effect of torque (amongst other things) and you will be better able to keep it straight ish with some right rudder.

Its tricky at first (in fact its tricky full stop but of course gets easier with practice) but you will soon get the hang of it

Good luck

10. Likes ATAG_Highseas liked this post
    Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    116.50 MB

cant really add to whats already said TBH...

the spit is not a land creature thats for sure, couple of knocks on the rudder trim to the right and feed the power in, you need to respect that big lump you have sitting infront of you, this aint topgun the movie where we see the pilots hammer the throttle forward, you need to ease it in.... a guy who tought me how to fly many many moons ago told me the plane will do exactly as you ask but you must ASK! never force it or she will bite you, this is the best advise i think i ever got in WWII sim flying and stands is true for all area's (takeoff/landing and the holy grail COMBAT)...

its been a few years since ive flown too and ive had to get back in the groove, and most of my online deaths have been to spit take off's (i mean really TF who's bright idea was the bunkers all over the AF's hmmm?? /

also the chocks, i had exactly the same issue as you before i set those up, game changer those chocks

i always find by the time you get upto about 80% throttle you need a lot of right stick to stop her dropping a wing also plus it also helps with the yawing a lot...

next thing is not advice its an order!!!

STOPPING MUCKING ABOUT IN SP AND GET ONLINE!! no really its freaking awsome, get on TS and just listen in for a few nights if you want but you will learn loads quicker online, all this you would of had down in the first night if you were online and active on TS... and its the best fun you can have with ya flight jacket on

online tonight... copy that???? good because your on duty tonight, you can keep germanwolf busy while i sneak by... not to worry he's not that good of pilot just have your canopy lined with 20mm armored steel and keep ya head between ya knees...

Student Pilot
    Born UK 1946 left and moved to Texas 2006. Been using computers since the eighties.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Hello

Regards

BOO
    Would you believe I was wondering why the game did not contain windsocks I didn't appreciate the purpose of the yellow boards thank you.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

My take on controler sensitivity:

in the options for axis settings...

go 0.25 on stick

0.00 on throttle

anywhere betyween 0.75 and 1.00 on rudder

Basically 0.00 is minimum s curve (ie linear / kind of max sensitivity) and 1.00 maximum s curve.. ie not linear

i have found the settings above help massively

PM me if you want to.. im VERY happy to help with this.

on or off line.
    Thank you, I tried these settings and it was a vast improvement 4 out of 5 successful take offs

14. Likes Gromit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Thank you, I tried these settings and it was a vast improvement 4 out of 5 successful take offs
    No worries !

Really glad to have helped. !

See you up there soon I hope !

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by RAF74_Buzzsaw View Post
    Hello Don

Please make sure you look at the Team Fusion Pilot Manuals on the Wiki page:

http://www.theairtacticalassaultgrou...hflightmanuals

Before you start your engine, make sure to put the 'Chocks In' to hold it stationary while it warms up. Then wait till oil temperature is 40C before taxing.

When taking off, use 3000 rpm, full fine pitch, and +6 boost, do not use +12 boost.

Line yourself up on the runway first before starting the takeoff run.

Almost all the problems people have with takeoffs relate to the use of too much throttle initially. These are aircraft powered by very high horsepower engines, developing a lot of torque and propellor thrust. When you slam the throttle to 100%, the aircraft is going to go sideways immediately.

Do not start your takeoff with full 100% throttle, initially start with only 50%... and wait till the aircraft is rolling straight and true down the runway before adding more. Use your rudder to correct direction changes caused by the torque effects. Gradually increase throttle till you are at full 100%. If you have taxied to the end of the runway before you start your takeoff run, you will have lots of runway distance, so don't feel you need to rush the process.
    Although I have the manuals downloaded I didn't read the Spit manual properly a bit too smart for my own good your advice was very helpful using the chocks made all the difference

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Gizz View Post
    cant really add to whats already said TBH...

the spit is not a land creature thats for sure, couple of knocks on the rudder trim to the right and feed the power in, you need to respect that big lump you have sitting infront of you, this aint topgun the movie where we see the pilots hammer the throttle forward, you need to ease it in.... a guy who tought me how to fly many many moons ago told me the plane will do exactly as you ask but you must ASK! never force it or she will bite you, this is the best advise i think i ever got in WWII sim flying and stands is true for all area's (takeoff/landing and the holy grail COMBAT)...

its been a few years since ive flown too and ive had to get back in the groove, and most of my online deaths have been to spit take off's (i mean really TF who's bright idea was the bunkers all over the AF's hmmm?? /

also the chocks, i had exactly the same issue as you before i set those up, game changer those chocks

i always find by the time you get upto about 80% throttle you need a lot of right stick to stop her dropping a wing also plus it also helps with the yawing a lot...

next thing is not advice its an order!!!

STOPPING MUCKING ABOUT IN SP AND GET ONLINE!! no really its freaking awsome, get on TS and just listen in for a few nights if you want but you will learn loads quicker online, all this you would of had down in the first night if you were online and active on TS... and its the best fun you can have with ya flight jacket on

online tonight... copy that???? good because your on duty tonight, you can keep germanwolf busy while i sneak by... not to worry he's not that good of pilot just have your canopy lined with 20mm armored steel and keep ya head between ya knees...
    Thank you for your help I am making use of everything

18. Likes ATAG_Highseas, Gromit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Thank you for your help I am making use of everything
    Yep... huge amount of advice available. If you get on the main server and onto teamspeak you can learn shed loads in moments !

Also.. generally there are wind socks... in addition to the yellow boards.

I learned more in my first couple of hours on temspeak than I could write about here !

Edit: except how to spell

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    116.50 MB

21. Likes Gromit liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Yep... huge amount of advice available. If you get on the main server and onto teamspeak you can learn shed loads in moments !

Also.. generally there are wind socks... in addition to the yellow boards.

I learned more in my first couple of hours on temspeak than I could write about here !

I forgot to mention I have been using the builder and not the stock scenarios for take off practice as it was a suggested option for a cold start and take off practice.
    The yellow boards were there however maybe I was just looking in the wrong places for windsocks.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Thanks everyone for your very helpful advice it has improved my play already.
    I will go on line when I can and initially just listen into the TeamSpeak as suggested.

I think my reticence to play online is because whilst I love games of this type and as the son of WW2 RAF parents and I'm very interested in WW2 history and particularly the aircraft used, I consider I'm not very good at these games possibly, as a much older gamer my reactions are maybe a little slower than needed coupled with a lack of time to play and learn.

Also, whilst I realise that this is a very friendly helpful group I'm concerned about the idea of lumbering somebody's squadron with a totally incompetent player who may not show much improvement over time.
    I feel I at least want to get taking off, landing and some combat experience under my belt before I actually play on line with others.

Don

24. Likes Gizz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    88.77 MB

I will go on line when I can and initially just listen into the TeamSpeak as suggested.

I think my reticence to play online is because whilst I love games of this type and as the son of WW2 RAF parents and I'm very interested in WW2 history and particularly the aircraft used, I consider I'm not very good at these games possibly, as a much older gamer my reactions are maybe a little slower than needed coupled with a lack of time to play and learn.

Also, whilst I realise that this is a very friendly helpful group I'm concerned about the idea of lumbering somebody's squadron with a totally incompetent player who may not show much improvement over time.
    I feel I at least want to get taking off, landing and some combat experience under my belt before I actually play on line with others.

Don
    Age is no excuse see here http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.co...highlight=poll

Jump on line as soon as u can - you will have a great time and new players are always welcome on ATAG regardless of experience or ability

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    212.17 MB

Don
    Welcome Don. Like you I am shall we say of the more "mature" age group. It took me a long while to get the hang of taking off in the Spit, and after four months of playing I still crash most of the time whilst attempting to land. The guys here are a great help, so do get onto T.S if you can. We do have a bit of a new flight forming of newer players, myself, Highseas and a few others, and you are welcome to join us when we fly, inexperienced flyers all learning together as it were. We usually go onto TS flight 1 so the better players don't have to hear me wittering on about landing approaches, which way is East / West that kind of thing. P.M me, Highseas, Vampire, ATAG_Marlow or Dix for details of when we fly, although I am away for a week as of tomorrow so may not be able to get on this forum until I get back. Hope you can join us, the more the merrier

27. Likes ATAG_Vampire liked this post
    Manual Creation Group ATAG_Vampire's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.88 MB

Hello Don. As another member of the more 'mature' age group I can only agree with laser. Get on TS as soon as you can and enjoy!

It is a steep learning curve but the fun to be had is great. What I really like are the friendly, helpful people you meet up with, many who are going through exactly the same process as you. Age is no barrier and though we may never become 'aces' we can contribute as a member of a group or 'flight'.

As laser rightly said......"the more the merrier".

Hope to meet you in the air soon

~S~

29. Likes ATAG_Laser liked this post
    Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    116.50 MB

Don
    Ok ok ok ok..... sit down take the weight off your feet and listen up

hes a quick poll we did last week...

62% of CLOD pilots who fly on ATAG prefer to fly with their teeth in a glass cup
    48% of CLOD pilots who fly on ATAG have suffered gout in the last 12 months
    12% of CLOD pilots who fly on ATAG actually flew fighters during the Battle of Britain
    99.9% of CLOD pilots who fly on ATAG suffer from erectile dysfunction to some degree

People like flying here because of the realistic nature of the SIM and the teamwork on comms (TS), but what really makes this place realistic is that when one of us gets bounced from the sun unexpectedly the mic goes eerily quite untill we here the siren's of the ambulance, we actually have a worse survival rate here than in the actual battle of britain! when you see a chute online we are all cheering on teamspeak "the old chap survived lads!!" as most dont have the time to hit the silk before their heart gives out ...

all joking aside, you really have nothing to worry about we have a few young members here who i must say are a credit to their generation!, but most of us here are well past our peak and starting the slow roll downhill hehehe (cough, splutter, gaaasp)..

You cannot.. i repeat.. cannot! mess anything up online... if you spend 3 hours crashing into hangers it effects no one but your own sanity, honestly there is nothing to worry about there, not that thats possible because the help you will receive over comms will have you up in the air in a snip of the time it will take you to learn it offline on your own...

just last night we had a new guy come in with the exact same issues as you, after a quick chat on TS with us all i took him out onto the field and he took her strait off deck, ok sweating .. but he did it

Im telling you strait buddy, you say you come from parents in the RAF in WW2? well unless you have a time machine tucked away under your bed this is about as close to as your going to get to understanding what it was like back in the day, you wont regret it i promise you that right now!....

the learning curve of this sim can be steep especially if your trying offline on your own, you can half that at-least with the guidance and learning you will do online....
    While TeamFusion have done an unspeakably good job with this sim its the community that really makes this place shine and something truly special!

If your not online within a day or two we will make you fly a tigermoth over french point....! thats not advisable BTW just so you know

but really come join the fun! you have nothing to loose

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

whilst I realise that this is a very friendly helpful group I'm concerned about the idea of lumbering somebody's squadron with a totally incompetent player who may not show much improvement over time.

To paraphrase Gizz, Dave, Laser and Vamps.... put those worries aside !

Come fly... its beautiful

Both visually and in comradery.

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    760.03 MB

Last edited by KeefyBoy; Mar-03-2017 at 05:16.

33. Likes BlackTop, Hurricane, Vlerkies, ATAG_Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    365.25 MB

Less chance of disgrace with the wind in your face....

Im full of em!!
    Omg Boo. That's terrible
    https://imgur.com/VCUiXpY

35. Likes TWC_Brett liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Quote Originally Posted by SC-Sp00k View Post
    Omg Boo. That's terrible
    Yup! - but you'll remember it though wont you!