Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'The Battle Of Britain' 1969 Film Newspaper Cuttings...

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

'The Battle Of Britain' 1969 Film Newspaper Cuttings...

A couple of newspaper cuttings from 1969 of 'The Battle Of Britain' film....My dad must have cut these for me when I was 4 years old...

Click on 'Attached Thumbnail' once to bring up picture...then double click picture, then hit magnifier to read
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ATAG_Lewis; Jul-01-2016 at 10:34.
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    1.618 - You know this number?
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle
    ATAG_Lewis Youtube Channel

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,002.26 MB

Re: 'The Battle Of Britain' 1969 Film Newspaper Cuttings...

Nice find Lewis! Thanks for sharing them!
    Visit the Robert Mölders Facebook Group ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    Visit the Robert Mölders YouTube Channel ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    *Important Note: You can also open the Robert Mölders Facebook Group page by clicking directly on my signature image

My PC specs
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit ~ Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz 8MB Cache Quad core
    ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING Motherboard, Socket 1151 ATX, Dual M.2, USB 3.1 Type-C ~ MSI GeForce GTX 1080 TI Gaming X 11G Graphic Card PCIE 3.0, 11 GB, GDDR5X 352 bit, 11.01 GHz, 1569 MHz
    Samsung MZ-V6E250BW SSD 960 EVO, 250 GB, M.2, NVMe ~ Western Digital WD Caviar Blue 2TB 64MB Cache, WD20EZRZ (64MB Cache) ~ Enermax Liqmax II 240 (ELC-LMR240S-BS)
    Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX RAM 16 GB, 2x8 GB, DDR4, 3000 MHz, CL15 ~ EVGA SuperNOVA GQ PSU 750W ~ NZXT CA-N450W-M1 Case for Gaming PC, Black
    LG 49UK6200PLA TV 49" 4K UltraHD, IPS Display, 4096 x 2160, Active HDR, Multitasking ~ LG 27UD68P Monitor 27" 4K UltraHD LED IPS, 3840 x 2160, AMD FreeSync, Multitasking
    Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Joystick ~ Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle ~ Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

3. Likes \Hawk/ liked this post
    5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

I wonder when i watch that film what the eastenders made of a HE111 (albeit with RR engines) flying over there homes for the film....

Royton ATC apparently gave up its Spitfire and Hurricane (presumably on orders) for the film in return for a Meteor NF14 and A Vampire T something or other. I never found out if they were the real deal or fibreglass but I think they both went to museums afterwards.

Completely off topic but my ex father in law was offered a 109 that had ended up stored behind his work shed in the mid 50s. It was "given" to his first boss for scrap after it had been dragged around the NW to raise war bonds then stored in his yard but never collected. Apparently it in shabby condition but was mostly all there albeit in pieces. It had no engine or prop. No idea of the mark but it had a yellow nose (but, as my FIL pointed out "they all had yellow noses...and bullet holes" - i doubt either were genuine but added to increase takings) The going rate was a few quid less than the scrap value (not much) and an undertaking to" get rid of the damn thing" - He turned it down but instead earned himself a few bob loading the bits onto a flatbed wagon. It ended up in landfill under the roundabout at the end of the A627M near Oldham's Football ground.

I never liked him TBH.

Regards

BOO
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

" Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,002.26 MB

A627M near Oldham's Football ground.
    I know now for sure that my brain is definitely out of action and addicted to WW2 aviation...When I've read that code the first thing at which I've thought was the Mitsubishi A6M Zero...mein Gott....
    Visit the Robert Mölders Facebook Group ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    Visit the Robert Mölders YouTube Channel ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    *Important Note: You can also open the Robert Mölders Facebook Group page by clicking directly on my signature image

My PC specs
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit ~ Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz 8MB Cache Quad core
    ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING Motherboard, Socket 1151 ATX, Dual M.2, USB 3.1 Type-C ~ MSI GeForce GTX 1080 TI Gaming X 11G Graphic Card PCIE 3.0, 11 GB, GDDR5X 352 bit, 11.01 GHz, 1569 MHz
    Samsung MZ-V6E250BW SSD 960 EVO, 250 GB, M.2, NVMe ~ Western Digital WD Caviar Blue 2TB 64MB Cache, WD20EZRZ (64MB Cache) ~ Enermax Liqmax II 240 (ELC-LMR240S-BS)
    Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX RAM 16 GB, 2x8 GB, DDR4, 3000 MHz, CL15 ~ EVGA SuperNOVA GQ PSU 750W ~ NZXT CA-N450W-M1 Case for Gaming PC, Black
    LG 49UK6200PLA TV 49" 4K UltraHD, IPS Display, 4096 x 2160, Active HDR, Multitasking ~ LG 27UD68P Monitor 27" 4K UltraHD LED IPS, 3840 x 2160, AMD FreeSync, Multitasking
    Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Joystick ~ Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle ~ Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

6. Likes BOO, Gizz, Cybermat47 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    2.38 GB

Quote Originally Posted by Boosterdog View Post
    I wonder when i watch that film what the eastenders made of a HE111 (albeit with RR engines) flying over there homes for the film....

Royton ATC apparently gave up its Spitfire and Hurricane (presumably on orders) for the film in return for a Meteor NF14 and A Vampire T something or other. I never found out if they were the real deal or fibreglass but I think they both went to museums afterwards.

Completely off topic but my ex father in law was offered a 109 that had ended up stored behind his work shed in the mid 50s. It was "given" to his first boss for scrap after it had been dragged around the NW to raise war bonds then stored in his yard but never collected. Apparently it in shabby condition but was mostly all there albeit in pieces. It had no engine or prop. No idea of the mark but it had a yellow nose (but, as my FIL pointed out "they all had yellow noses...and bullet holes" - i doubt either were genuine but added to increase takings) The going rate was a few quid less than the scrap value (not much) and an undertaking to" get rid of the damn thing" - He turned it down but instead earned himself a few bob loading the bits onto a flatbed wagon. It ended up in landfill under the roundabout at the end of the A627M near Oldham's Football ground.

I never liked him TBH.

Regards

BOO
    Hi Boo. I read your post and found it quite fascinating.....so I asked if anyone knew anymore about this 109.....here's the reply

"Hi,
    I have pursued some leads via Local Radio, and local history groups, there certainly was 109 displayed in Oldham during the War and it seems that a German aircraft ( probably a 109) did in fact end up in a scrapyard in Shaw -
    near Oldham - at the end of the War. A listener to local radio phoned in to recall a friend of his stealing an instrument of some sort from the aircraft while it rotted in the scrapyard sometime in 1945/46. No other information, however is forthcoming.
    The landfill noted in the original topic was very extensive and ran for almost a mile from Rochdale Road following a deep valley, with a stream at its bottom, behind the football stadium right down to the site of the roundabout mentioned on Broadway .
    The land fill took place in the early 1960's and is now the site of many houses, playing fields and a major roads junction. If indeed the remnants of the 109 did finish up there then that is where they will rest."

Well, it's buried forever but at-least the story has a conclusion

Cheers, MP

8. Likes BOO, Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Quote Originally Posted by Mysticpuma View Post
    Hi Boo. I read your post and found it quite fascinating.....so I asked if anyone knew anymore about this 109.....here's the reply

"Hi,
    I have pursued some leads via Local Radio, and local history groups, there certainly was 109 displayed in Oldham during the War and it seems that a German aircraft ( probably a 109) did in fact end up in a scrapyard in Shaw -
    near Oldham - at the end of the War. A listener to local radio phoned in to recall a friend of his stealing an instrument of some sort from the aircraft while it rotted in the scrapyard sometime in 1945/46. No other information, however is forthcoming.
    The landfill noted in the original topic was very extensive and ran for almost a mile from Rochdale Road following a deep valley, with a stream at its bottom, behind the football stadium right down to the site of the roundabout mentioned on Broadway .
    The land fill took place in the early 1960's and is now the site of many houses, playing fields and a major roads junction. If indeed the remnants of the 109 did finish up there then that is where they will rest."

Well, it's buried forever but at-least the story has a conclusion

Cheers, MP
    Yeah i saw the thread - wow some people are ever so serious.....

Looks like the old coot's tail may have some merit after all then!!

The Shaw scrap yard is interesting as it could tie up with a place called Higginshaw Lane which has always had a large scrap yard (the only one in shaw now but but im sure that there were others back in the day) and is also where he may have had workshops he rented off a family friend who owned the land but im not sure if the dates tie in.. So it could have been remembered as being in the yard when it was close by I suppose. One of my big "hmmmms" about the story was why it went to landfill and not scrap though. That's kinda been intensified with the notion that it was only a short drag to the yard if not actually already in it!. That said im not sure how much demand there was for the metal used in aircraft back then or if it was all about engines, copper wire and ball bearings which would seem to have already been stripped.

One thing i do doubt is that he was spinning a yarn. He wasnt that sort (humourless and dour i would say). He may have got a few things wrong as he wasnt into aircraft (for instance it could have been a tiger moth for all he knew) but he always seemed pretty sincere about it and always insisted it was a "Messermit". My uncle also related the story of a 109 being dumped in the landfill independently so i think there is some credence if very little clearwater!!

Regards

BOO
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    116.50 MB

Bloody hell lewis! these are awesome! what a find!

Not only was the film incredible but the story behind the making of that film is almost as interesting as the battle its self!

a few years back 2 (or 3 can't quite recal) of the 109s used in the film were found in a barn, in decent condition aswell!

"The Battle of Britain" was one of the best films ever made IMO, and what an accomplishment it was too... says a lot when in 2016 we still have nothing that holds a candle to it, an incredible piece of work!

great find lewis thx for sharing

11. Likes \Hawk/ liked this post
    Supporting Member Alexunderpressure's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.09 MB

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

Aaahhh, Lewis......this brings back a real flash of childhood magic!

I was 12 when 'The Battle of Britain' film came out. In between building endless Airfix models of Spits, Hurri's and Mosquito's (...a favourite of mine after Dad took me to see 633 Squadron! Noooooooo...how could they burn those beautiful aircraft!!!!) my mates and I would discuss the forth coming film endlessly! We couldn't wait for it to come out....it was like they had read our minds and made it just for us!

I was living at RAF Coltishall, in Norfolk, at the time. I had read Richey's 'Reach for the Sky' and was fully aware of the Bader/ 242 Squadron story.......as any real boy of the time, worth his salt would. Coltishall was home to E.E Lightnings that regularly intercepted Russian Bears out in the North Sea. Dad worked as an Air Traffic Controller in the Coltishall Tower and would come home full of stories of Russian gunners waving at our lads from rear turrets as they reluctantly departed our airspace. I thought it all brilliant and exciting and would endlessly cycle (as Laserlight did too) up to the crash gates at the head of the runway to watch the Lightnings taxiing and taking off. The pilots would often wave at us as we were only feet away. We felt 'dead cool' or what ever the 1971 equivalent of 'cool' was! Whatever we felt, I know, as kids, we were seriously proud of our 'boys in blue!'

Coltishall was home to three Spitfires and one Hurricane and on Sundays, when the Lightnings weren't flying, I would cycle with my mates up to the airfield and we would lie in the long grass and wave at the Spit and Hurri pilots, who always had their canopies back for taxiing. I loved it! Those aircraft became the basis of the BBMF very soon afterwards.

One day, having arrived back from school I was making/burning toast in the kitchen when I heard aero engines overhead. I was always alert for engine noises in those days but these were not Lightnings...or Hunters! I rushed outside and looked skywards. Right over our house, flying at about 1500 feet were three gigantic (it seemed to me) camouflaged, propeller aircraft, in a tight vic. As any young, embryonic Atag pilot would, I instantly recognised their threatening shape. 'My God...they're Heinkels! They're bl**dy Heinkels!' I whooped and screamed....'Mum! Mum! Look...look! There's three Heinkels going over OUR house! Mum seemed strangely unimpressed:

'I saw enough of those things during the war,' she said grimly, taking another drag on a reassuring fag! (I hated those things!)

It was true. As a Gibraltarian, Mum had been evacuated from Gibraltar at the beginning of the war...along with virtually the whole population and had lived in Fulham, London. Unlike Dad, who had been evacuated to Haslemere in Surrey, her family, being foreigners, did not believe in letting children out of their sight and so Mum had remained in London during the Blitz.

(Both Mum and Dad had amazing stories to tell of their experiences during the war and we would often get them to 'open up' during Sunday lunches....but that's another thread!)

As soon as Dad came home I plied him with questions about the aircraft. What were they doing coming into Coltishall? Were they still here....would they come back?

Dad said that he was Duty Officer in the Tower when a phone call had come through. The aircraft had been filming over the North Sea and were getting low on fuel. The film schedule for the day would be scuppered if they returned to their own base and so could they request an unscheduled visit to Coltishall to refuel? A quick phone call followed, to clear this unusual request and a deal was done! Dad was able to contact the aircraft directly by radio and direct them into the Coltishall circuit...three Heinkel 111's and a B25 Mitchell camera ship.....wisely telling the RAF Lightnings in the vicinity to keep a respectable distance.

And so it was that Operation Sealion finally succeeded in landing German aircraft in England......albeit 35 years too late!

There were many exciting days at Coltishall in the 70's and this was one of the best. It certainly made my day! Salute!

P.s My mates and I loved the film when it eventually came out. Still do! It fueled another 'frenzy' of airfix building that went on for months afterwards! Most of those models are still in Dad's loft!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

This is a great thread.

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

15. Likes Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders, \Hawk/ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

The Mitchell has a staring roll in the film...

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle

17. Likes ATAG_Marlow, ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Lewis View Post
    The Mitchell has a staring roll in the film...

am i missing something here?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    16.16 MB

On the right Boo... The right side vertical stab (?) of the b-25, and you can even see one of the 40,000 light bulbs attached to the a/c. You know, to get the lighting just right for the shots...

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

A couple of newspaper cuttings from 1969 of 'The Battle Of Britain' film....My dad must have cut these for me when I was 4 years old...

Just watched the film on netflix.

very vaugely rembemer watching it with my dad. in black and white.

Wow !!

really lovely visuals.

I note that Robert Stamford Tuck fellows response after seeing the film (accoring to the article):

"it was fine"

Personally I thought it was a shade better than that

I though "it was damn fine".

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

21. Likes BOO, Gizz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Freya View Post
    On the right Boo... The right side vertical stab (?) of the b-25, and you can even see one of the 40,000 light bulbs attached to the a/c. You know, to get the lighting just right for the shots...

Thats a shot taken from the dorsal gun position of one of the CASA2.111s. The light bulb is the DF loop shroud.

Wow, ive turned into one of those rivet counting trolls..........kill me now............;-(

23. Likes Gizz liked this post
    Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Boosterdog View Post

Thats a shot taken from the dorsal gun position of one of the CASA2.111s. The light bulb is the DF loop shroud.
    Yep, that's what I always thought.

That section of the film; if you're a brit of a certain age.....it always makes the hairs stand out on the back of the neck.

25. Likes Gizz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    16.16 MB

Is that a twin engine in that pack of fighters then?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

There's a twin in amongst the fighters? I need specs!!

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Er....eh? I don't think so but see for yourself

29. Likes \Hawk/ liked this post
    Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    116.50 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Highseas View Post
    I note that Robert Stamford Tuck fellows response after seeing the film (accoring to the article):

"it was fine"

Personally I thought it was a shade better than that

I though "it was damn fine".
    i had the very fortunate opportunity to talk with a battle of britain hurri pilot (a great story ill try post one day)... on being introduced to him, his wife said "this young man (it was while ago, i was in my 20s ) would like to talk with you, he's very interested in battle of britain" the old chap stooped in his wheel chair replied without hesitation or pause "It wasnt like the film kid..... we never had that bloody music!!" i just burst out laughing.... that was a day not much work got done LOL

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    116.50 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Arthursmedley View Post
    Yep, that's what I always thought.

That section of the film; if you're a brit of a certain age.....it always makes the hairs stand out on the back of the neck.
    If a doctor asked me to raise the hairs on the back of my neck i could choose a few scenes from that film.... incredible! where the spits break low in formation always gets me going... after all these years it still does something to me, ive actually shed tears over some of the shots.. LOL incredible piece of work

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    873.48 MB

Hurricane PZ865 as MI-G H3424 for the filming of the "Battle of Britain" movie. The Picture is signed be Geoffrey Page (No 56 Sqn) and C.N.S Campbeel (No 73 Sqn)

http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r739/larry691/GZ-H%201_zpsdphexiii.jpg

33. Likes Gizz, ATAG_Marlow, \Hawk/ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Quote Originally Posted by Arthursmedley View Post
    Er....eh? I don't think so but see for yourself

2.58 ---- WOW!!

3.08 ---- My kinda gunner

Manual Creation Group ATAG_Ezzie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

One of my favourite films. At Duxford (2008) there was some info about the movie as some of it was filmed there. Apparently more damage was done to Duxford during the filming of the movie than occurred in real life during the BOB and perhaps the war.

My only downer re the film is the incorrect marks of Spit, Hurri etc which i used to notice. Says more about me than the film i guess. Apparently someone mentioned this to several veterans when the film came out but their response was that they were so emotionally transfixed by the movie's representation of the airbattles that they hadnt even noticed. So when i watch the film now i think of the human story and dont count rivets like i did as a spotty nosed teenager way back when.

Ezzie

36. Likes ATAG_Snapper, Gizz, CharlesLV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

I just realised that isn't the Mitchell is it?...My father always told me it was and I never really thought about it...but its clearly the rear of a He111...My father told me the story of the footage taken from the rear of the Mitchell that was left in the film...I need to try and find that now...

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

You need to see 'Dark Blue World' if you haven't seen it....Its a must for BOB enthusiasts...

39. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Another story from the making of the film. A bit flimsy facts-wise but it always tickled me.

I was reading an interview with a more modern RAF pilot, ie just too young for WW2, but can't remember who it was. Anyway, he said that while the film was in production he was asked if he had every flown a spitfire as they needed pilots for them. Without hesitating he lied through his teeth and answered 'Of course.' He then had to hurridly phone round a few of the other spit pilots to get some quick pointers then fly it cold a week later without ever having sat in it before Being a very good and experienced pilot it all worked out OK.

An awesome film and still good today despite its age. I daresay they could do it all again today just using CGI and it would look just as real. It has been a while since Peter Jackson announced he was re-making The Dambusters. I suppose it has been put on a back burner as so often happens with films but I recall seeing two full size Lancaster replicas in his studio storage way back when he was making Lord Of The Rings.
    56sqn US@R - Diary of a hopeless Pilot Officer http://roblex56raf.livejournal.com/

Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) > AMD Athlon II X4 605e @ 2300MHz
    16Gb RAM > Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce 1050Ti

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

I just realised that isn't the Mitchell is it?...My father always told me it was and I never really thought about it...but its clearly the rear of a He111...My father told me the story of the footage taken from the rear of the Mitchell that was left in the film...I need to try and find that now...
    If its there you'll notice it....that Mitchell was VERY uniquely painted!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

'The Battle of Britain' was a financial flop...and that put paid to any more Big WW2 aviation movies for a while...especially the Brits who made some great War movies during the 50s and 60s...

Today seeing how good it was and relatively unbias its a shame it didn't make more money...That would have made a difference to how many airwar movies we would see from the 70s and such....Shame really

With it being about a historical time it can be less dated and that helps it today...I have seen it many times...It's in my top 10 films..
    Last edited by ATAG_Lewis; Jul-13-2016 at 11:41.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Quote Originally Posted by Roblex View Post
    Another story from the making of the film. A bit flimsy facts-wise but it always tickled me.

I was reading an interview with a more modern RAF pilot, ie just too young for WW2, but can't remember who it was. Anyway, he said that while the film was in production he was asked if he had every flown a spitfire as they needed pilots for them. Without hesitating he lied through his teeth and answered 'Of course.' He then had to hurridly phone round a few of the other spit pilots to get some quick pointers then fly it cold a week later without ever having sat in it before Being a very good and experienced pilot it all worked out OK.

An awesome film and still good today despite its age. I daresay they could do it all again today just using CGI and it would look just as real. It has been a while since Peter Jackson announced he was re-making The Dambusters. I suppose it has been put on a back burner as so often happens with films but I recall seeing two full size Lancaster replicas in his studio storage way back when he was making Lord Of The Rings.

Its precisely because its NOT CGI'd that the Air to Air scenes are so enthralling. No travelling behind a bullet to its target, no Brucknobber-esque zoom views through the skin of the a/c, down the intakes and into the engine sumps but instead a REAL spitfire doing a 1 oclock highbeam filmed from the cockpit of a 111 and missing it by feet!!

BTW Lew it would have lost £500,000 more had the Spanish asked for proper payment for all those aircraft. Instead they asked for a donation to an Orphanage supported by the air force. The film makers reportedly paid £1400!!

Regards

BOO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast