Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Call origin

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    374.72 MB

Your online name origin.

Hi all,

Being relatively new to the ATAG and playing online, and loving both entirely, I am fascinated by everyone's online name.

I'm probably not alone on this, so if you keen, I'd really like to know the story behind yours.

For mine, Pat Pattle was the RAF's leading ace in World War 2. A boyhood hero, and my name is in honour of Sqd Ldr Pattle.

Hope to hear from you all.

Pattle
    Last edited by ATAG_Pattle; Oct-02-2016 at 08:06.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

Re: Your online name origin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pattle View Post
    Hi all,

Being relatively new to the ATAG and playing online, and loving both entirely, I am fascinated by everyone's online name.

I'm probably not alone on this, so if you keen, I'd really like to know the story behind yours.

For mine, Pat Pattle was the RAF's leading ace in World War 2. A boyhood hero, and my name is in honour of Sqd Ldr Pattle.

Hope to hear from you all.

Pattle
    There is an entire thread devoted to this topic. http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.co...light=nickname
    Last edited by Baffin; Oct-02-2016 at 12:42.
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Re: Call origin

Where?
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

" Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    374.72 MB

Thanks Baffin, but I couldn't find it. Must have had a man look as the better half would say.

But for those who are new, (and it's awesome how many new players are joining) and keen to contribute, fire away.

5. Likes Fred Karno liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    212.17 MB

Well, before cliffs I was playing a football manager game through steam, but didn't set a username, so my name would always come up as my email address by default, so decided to try and come up with a username. I work as a sheet metal worker / fabricator and a few years ago now the company that I work for invested in a CNC laser cutting machine, a pretty state of the art piece of kit, and I was one of three that was chosen to go on a course to operate it, so I just came up with laserlight as an online name

Intel i5-2500 CPU @3.30GHZ Quad core , NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti , 8GB RAM , Windows 10 pro 64-Bit, ASUS VS 278 27" Monitor , Microsoft Sidewinder 2 Joystick

Saitek pro Flight Yoke, quadrant and rudder pedals

PS3 eye Head Tracker using Trackhat software. Secondary Head Tracker , Ed Tracker

7. Likes ATAG_Pattle, ATAG_Marlow, Ohms, Fred Karno liked this post
    5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

BOO (PL-B)

The BOO is a shortened version of "Boosterdog" which is the first thing that came into my head when i had to create a nickname. Booster (my black Lab ) is called Booster because we bought him from a gundog breeder based on the perimeter of Goxhill Airfield in North Lincs that was a wartime base for P38s whos twin booms used to prominently display the superchargers or "boosters".

Booster is also named in memory of a Fox Terrier who was the mascot on a B24 named "Batchelor's Baby" which crashed in the Welsh Mountains in January 1944. The Dog, along with 5 of the 11 servicemen on board, died in the crash and locals took it upon themselves to bury the poor animal at the crash site. He is commemorated on a stone a site and this always touched me.

The PL - was the code for 144 Sqn during its time with Bomber Command (later it was transferred to Coastal Command) and is there in honour of my partner's Great Uncle, Sgt Norman Edwards RAFVR. He flew out of Hemswell but was lost on ops on his 6th mission en route to or from Brest. His body or that of his crewmates was never found. I would have used the full code but there are no records showing the letter allocated to his aircraft)

The B is just for BOO - it used to be D which, if you take the Roundel as a "O" perhaps alluded to my occupation

Regards

BOO

Regards

BOO
    Last edited by BOO; Oct-02-2016 at 09:53.
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

" Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.61 GB

I had to come up with a new username when I signed up for XBox Live, and I wanted a Doctor Who related one. This was the first one I came up with that wasn't taken already
    Author of the Their Finest Hour, Their Greatest Challenge, Desert Hawks, Eagles over Tobruk, On Ne Passe Pas!, and Rising from the Ashes campaigns for Cliffs of Dover Blitz and Desert Wings - Tobruk.

10. Likes ATAG_Pattle, Fred Karno liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.58 GB

Hi Pattle.

Think this thread might have what you want. http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.co...light=nickname

My ATAG name of farley, is just what friends called me when i was young. My best friend they called marley. Just take offs from our surnames. Nothing exciting or nothing i used imagination for I'm afraid.
    "If you want to fly, give up everything that weighs you down"......

12. Likes ATAG_Pattle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Hi Pattle,

Der da in German just means 'this one'.

My surname is one of the most common in German language and my first name ... well at the time of my birth, there was this football player, a nation wide hero. (The equivalent in Ireland would be Mick Murphy, or Jean Dupont in France) So I ended up in school with at least two or three other boys with the same name. When the teacher called the name the answer was always:
    'Welcher? (Which one?)' and then inevitably: 'Der da! (This one!)'.
    Somehow it stuck.

Manual Creation Group ATAG_Vampire's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.88 MB

My choice of call sign is not related to the mythical blood sucking creature made famous in the book by Bram Stoker.

The call sign is from the De Haviland Vampire jet.

http://cdn.silodrome.com/wp-content/...2-1600x942.jpg

My father was an armourer in the RAF during WW2 and was in the RAuxAF in the late 1940s early 1950s prior to the disbandment of the RAuxAF. It was during this time he worked on the Vampire and I remember him telling me in later years about it. One of the things he pointed out was how small the aircraft actually was especially to modern day fighter aircraft.

~S~

15. Likes ATAG_Pattle, Fred Karno liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by DerDa View Post
    Hi Pattle,

Der da in German just means 'this one'.

My surname is one of the most common in German language and my first name ... well at the time of my birth, there was this football player, a nation wide hero. (The equivalent in Ireland would be Mick Murphy, or Jean Dupont in France) So I ended up in school with at least two or three other boys with the same name. When the teacher called the name the answer was always:
    'Welcher? (Which one?)' and then inevitably: 'Der da! (This one!)'.
    Somehow it stuck.

I like that story... DerDa !

Highseas was a name I dreamed up years and years ago.

Was talking to my then girlfriend about company names... and she said she was going to be BlackStar...

I came up with Highseas as my fantasy equivalent.. and I've been using it ever since as a reference to myself.

She was soooooooo annoyed when someone else took her name... (and symbol) and registered it....

I had to marry her to cheer her up again.

I'm so selfless....

!

so Highseas was the obvious choice when I started cliffs, (despite sounding more pirate than pilot).

My markings SO(o)S... well I wanted SE(o)S... but that squadron isn't in game... so I went with the closest... which people think refers to S.O.S... but that was never the intent.

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

17. Likes ATAG_Pattle, Fred Karno liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    951.48 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Highseas View Post
    I like that story... DerDa !

Highseas was a name I dreamed up years and years ago.

Was talking to my then girlfriend about company names... and she said she was going to be BlackStar...

I came up with Highseas as my fantasy equivalent.. and I've been using it ever since as a reference to myself.

She was soooooooo annoyed when someone else took her name... (and symbol) and registered it....

I had to marry her to cheer her up again.

I'm so selfless....

!

so Highseas was the obvious choice when I started cliffs, (despite sounding more pirate than pilot).

My markings SO(o)S... well I wanted SE(o)S... but that squadron isn't in game... so I went with the closest... which people think refers to S.O.S... but that was never the intent.
    One of my favorite movies is "Snatch". One of the characters is called "Bullet Tooth Tony", played by Vinnie Jones, an ex-British footballer and now actor. My avatar is a still from a great monologue he has in the film.
    Win 10 64 bit, 2T Hard Drive, 1T SSD, 500GB SSD, Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming MB,
    Intel i9 9900 Coffee Lake 31ghz CPU, EVGA 2070 Super GPU, 32gb DDR4 Ram,
    Track IR5, 32” Gigabyte Curved Monitor 165hz, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Voice Attack, Reverb G2

League City, TX

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Re: Your online name origin.

My name derives from the movie called "Machete" The level of outrageous stupidity and gore that I've witnessed caught my attention and it kinda matched my playstyle.

I've been using it since 2010, mainly in Battlefiled games (yes, I'm a BF die-hard fan!).
    I remember several pour souls screaming and cursing at me for what I used to do to them (I was a knife expert + I was a master in using explosive FRAG ammo when parachuting from the skies). I'm not bragging here, over 1600 h in BF4 gives you plenty of experience

Now I'm waiting for the implementation of cannons to RAF planes in Clod, so I can do something like this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yF0JCB24Ld8

20. Likes ATAG_Pattle liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    907.2 KB

My brother decided I had a little head. So he chanted lil head! lil head! lil head!. He has called me lil head ever since.
    I don't actually have a little head, but his is quite large. I used it for my steam name as I couldnt think of or care for much else however now that I'm much older I think I've out grown it. Also people sometimes take my name to mean something else.

To top it off my brother bought me a shirt that had a big picture on it. A guy with a small head sits at a bar with a beer that has no head. He's asking the barmaid for a little head for the beer. 'How about a little head' is in the speech bubble. My brother couldn't believe his luck when he came across that shirt in a shop.

At a family reunion recently he set-up a competition to see who could buy me the best hat to suit my lil head. I had to sit in a chair whilst everyone took turns to present their hats and put it on my head. There was things like Lego man hats, thimbles and the like. Was pretty funny.

I've been thinking about changing my ingame name though. I use to play Red Orchestra 2 with the same name.
    Mostly people just call me 'head'

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by lil_head View Post
    I've been thinking about changing my ingame name though. I use to play Red Orchestra 2 with the same name.
    Mostly people just call me 'head'
    hahaha... change it?

no way man !

That's a nice story !

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    383.91 MB

I've posted this before in an older thread but why not here too.

I was pretty young, and a friend and I were playing a little game on one of those internet sites with all the flash player games that young kids love, and he was using the name flare. So I stole it when I made my YouTube account! Of course plain old Flare was taken so I used flare2000x which in games was always just shortened to Flare. I dropped it entirely when I joined ATAG. I've thought of changing it many times but never found a good replacement and I think it's probably best to keep it how it is anyways.

24. Likes Ohms, ATAG_Pattle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    7.60 MB

When I was in the process of applying for the 78th Virtual Fighter Group in '99 I had to come up with a callsign. The 78th Chaps I had met and was flying with suggested "Axe" since I was a guitar player. Have used it ever since.

26. Likes ATAG_Pattle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

Mine was Le0ne , named after Sergio Leone. Most people believed I was Italian. My change it to the current is relative new. It means

witch is used by my profile picture´s keeper

28. Likes ATAG_Pattle, ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Wow... so much thought put into the names... makes me feel pretty weak... I just used my name. OH well... it's easy for me to remember.

30. Likes ATAG_Snapper, Rostic, ATAG_Pattle liked this post
    Supporting Member 9./JG52_J-HAT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    266.37 MB

Funny that I never answered the question in that thread.

I can’t really remember when but I think it was when I was playing Jane’s WW 2 Fighters or maybe before that with Jane’s Fighters Anthology. I needed an internet name and picked my father’s initial letters he also used for his computer stuff. Been using it for over 20 years...

Some years ago a couple of people started pronouncing it wrong so I added the minus to make the J stand out.
    i7 13700KF @5.3 Ghz | RTX 4090 526.86 1440p | 32 Gb RAM 6000 | Win10 64 bit | TrackIR 5 | VKB Gunfighter III | MFG Crosswind V2 | Warthog Throttle | Reverb G2 100% SteamVR SS

32. Likes ATAG_Snapper, ATAG_Pattle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    712.59 MB

Quote Originally Posted by LuseKofte View Post
    Mine was Le0ne , named after Sergio Leone. Most people believed I was Italian. My change it to the current is relative new. It means

witch is used by my profile picture´s keeper
    LuseKofte is a Norwegian knitted sweater if I'm not mistaken (?) and a national symbol of sorts.

sx3bbc07.jpg

Kofta= cardigan
    Last edited by major_setback; Oct-21-2020 at 10:12.
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2673&dateline=1390351127

Principle skinner

34. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    2.42 MB

My name is my own personal tribute to Allied bomber crews who, with their own unique sense of humour named their aircraft with defiant names which included such famous aircraft as 'Flak Eater' ; 'Flak Dodger' and the very appropriate 'Flak Magnet'.

Vickers Wellington Mk1c. OJ-F P2517 'F for Freddie' of No.149 Squadron, star of 'Target for Tonight' directed by Harry Watt released in July 1941.

Freddy prepares for an air test prior to departure from Ford on ops with No.149 Squadron for a daring daylight attack on Marshalling Yards in Caen France 31\1|21. ATAG Operation Milk Run. Target destroyed. Six Wellingtons, One Blenheim together with
    their Spitfire escort returned safely. One Wellington crashed on landing at Ford.

36. Likes ATAG_Snapper, ATAG_Pattle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.73 MB

I think I've explained it before...
    A colander is how my plane normally ends up looking (as in full of holes) after every flight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    465.46 MB

Someday, when all the correction, additions and new spin-off's to Cliffs of Dover have been completed probably in Version 29.910 we need an information window that;

A. Tells us how to pronounce the name of the people flying on the server.
    B. Gives us the background on how the name came to be.

When I signed on after buying Cliffs I of course had to come up with user name, I had not been on line in 17 years and considered using my old name from Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator, but for some reason I used the one you see now which was my boyhood name used to tell me apart from my father. Only family used that name. He was big Bill and I was Little Bill. Only 2 cousins call me by that name now.

I7 12700K @ 4.8Ghz|RTX 3080Ti|32GB DDR4|1TB NvMe l LG OLED 48”TV|1440P @120Hz|VKB STECS l VKB Gunfighter III/100mm extension l MFG V3 Pedals l Falcon Gear Quadrant l TIR 5 l Cloud X Headphone|Widows 11, C:\Program Files (x86)Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz|20Mbs dl, 2Mbs ul

39. Likes ATAG_Snapper, ATAG_Pattle liked this post
    Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    186.71 MB

After my kids - Samantha and Jordan Donald: SamJoDo

41. Likes ATAG_Snapper, ATAG_Pattle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.23 GB

Jack is sitting on his rug looking at me as I type. Maxx is in Heaven chasing rabbits in a sunny summer meadow

Jack.JPG
    Don't let Grudges fester and poison your future happiness......get your revenge as quickly as possible.

Team Fusion
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    9.38 MB

Back in the days when I could still jump, I used to watch NBA religiously.
    Players had some cool nicknames.
    I stole my nick from this guy:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinnie_Johnson
    Never liked the Pistons, but the nick was too good to pass up.

44. Likes ATAG_Snapper, ATAG_Flare, ATAG_Pattle liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    9.39 MB

Fred Karno's Army.

I had a boss who often used the phrase "It's fucking Fred Karno's" referring to anything that didn't function well.

Still makes me smile.

From the Wiki;

Karno's army, Fred a type of chaotic organization, named for the comedian Fred Karno (1866–1941); his ‘Army’ was the company which gave a solid start or valuable experience to many comedians. ‘We are Fred Karno's army, the ragtime infantry’, perhaps referring to ‘Kitchener's Army’, was one of the trench songs of the First World War.

Fred.

46. Likes ATAG_Snapper, ATAG_Pattle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

I chose my nickname for the deadly Common Snapping Turtle. I admire its beauty, speed, grace, and agility.

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Wink Re: Call origin

S!~

El asso- wipo. American MadTv sketch comedy show- late 80's- 'early 90's. Argentinian WWE farm-league fake-wrestler-performer skit. Modestly funny- just watched it 5 min ago for first time in 30 years- YouTube. I think- ya -why not. Used it as 'Elassowipo#$%!" for Quake and Quake2- huge online fps games-early Counterstrike. Interestingly I started to receive Hispanic or just random racist shout outs. Lots. Hmm. White German/Swede/ Norman French / Scot. right. So -got into flight sims with MicroSoft Flight Sim I. Changed to "Elplanoblasto" - lol Some guy called me 'angioplasty' - seemed like he needed glasses. El plano blasto . My God. I had so much fun with that crazy call. Not Maverick 62 - not Eagle_Eyes - not The Prussian - no not even The Norman . El plano blasto. So- fast forward 2 years- joined AKA in 2000- changed to Blasto. 'Twas too long a call- and too many beaner jokes- of which I often responded to- not fun.
    Being part of a flight sim community for 23-24 years sees many call signs come and go. If I could give any new- or newer flight sim pilot some unsolicited advise - its to choose your call sign wisely. It stays with you- and you are responsible for what you do with it. Especially when a simulation draws type A people- who generally- or mostly- like to fight. Choose whether you want others to like you - or fear you- having both leads to a compromised persona- which has no place in the cockpit-lol. Be well all and have some fun. Great stories I read from this post- and Snapper- I have an almost identical picture of a snapping turtle in the road- right on the two double lines - great shot man.

S!~ AKA_Blasto aka Elassowipo aka Elplanoblasto aka a-hole
    <a href=http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2895&dateline=1384197801 target=_blank>http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.co...ine=1384197801</a>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast