Thread: Cliffs of Dover/EDTracker View & Movement Enhancement with FreePIE

Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    130.02 MB

ClodPIE: Cliffs of Dover/EDTracker View & Movement Enhancement with FreePIE

OK, a little Christmas present for everyone. The movement options in CLOD just drive me crazy, and especially when a damn SUPPORT COLUMN gets in front of my vision and blocks a bogey, it really drives me crazy. In a real airplane (or an automobile) you would just move your head a bit and proceed. But in CLOD you are stuck.

Until now . . .

Download here - includes all files & packages you need (except CLOD, of course!):

http://brenthugh.com/flightgear/il2/...11-2016-12.zip

--DESCRIPTION---

ClodPIE: Cliffs of Dover/EDTracker View & Movement Enhancement with FreePIE
    version 1.1

by Brent Hugh, brent@brenthugh.com
    Or contact via the forums at http://twcclan.com - flug

The ClodPIE package links together EDTracker or other similar tracking device, your existing keyboard and/or joystick, OpenTrack software, and the vJoy virtual joystick emulator with FreePIE, the programmable input emulator, to create a
    greatly improved viewing and movement experience in IL2 Cliffs of Dover.

In particular, you can easily and quickly jog your view left, right, up, down, forward, or back to look past window posts and columns using the keyboard and/or joystick buttons along with your EDTracker. You can lean-to-gunsight instantly and return instantly. When in lean-to-gunsight, you can look all around 360+ degrees without restriction. Look out the window see and around the nose when landing or taxiing, and around the tail when flying. Is a window column or support blocking your view of the enemy? Just click a button & your head moves instantly to get the irritation out of your view.

All this with your EDTracker or EDTracker plus joystick/keyboard button.

If you don't have EDTracker, TrackIR, or other similar tracking device, you can still get many benefits of the software--including the movement keys--simply by running FreePIE along with Opentrack.

You can also do funky things like treating any joystick like a headtracker, or combining the movement keys and features with TrackIR or other tracking devices (ie, other than EDTracker). However, these additional advanced options will require some custom programming within FreePIE. This *should be* pretty simple to do, if you have any programming experience at all.

Note that this doesn't add any new viewing positions to CLOD (ie, no cheats). It simply allows you to access the viewing positions that CLOD designers already created, with ease.

HOW TO USE

Once installed (see below), you will find that EDTracker works better than ever just on its own. When you look left, right, up, down, or back, the viewing position within the cabin shifts subtly left, right, up, or down so that you get the best view to the front, to the rear, over the side, etc. It is like the best Opentrack mapping you could make, only a little better because it is custom programmed in a more flexible way.

In addition, you can use these keys & joystick buttons to alter the view. Note that keys and buttons can (and should) be customized; instructions below.

KEYBOARD
    1,2 - Shift view up/down

q,w - Shift view left/right

a,s - Shift view forward/back (ie, lean to gunsight / exit lean to gunsight)

CapsLock - Lean to gunsight & hold (works as a toggle--press once to turn on &
    again to turn off)

LeftShift - Lean back & hold (toggle)

Ctrl-9 - Toggle ME109 mode on/off (in ME109 mode, your view will be shifted
    right a bit, and even more so in lean-to-gunsight, so that you can use the
    ME109 gunsite)

Z - "Vibrate mode". This vibrates your view to create a transparent effect,
    similar to the effect a two-eyed person sees if they hold a finger (or window
    column) close in front of one eye. Experimental. WARNING! This looks a lot
    like they type of flickering that may trigger epilepsy for those prone to
    issues with flickering.

F1 - Reset/reinitialize all positions & toggles (resets everything EXCEPT
    ME109 mode).

Suggestion: Also set up F1 as your Opentrack "center" button; then you can use F1 to recenter everything. I find that ClodPIE is fairly sensitive to centering, and oftentimes it takes 2-3 presses of F1 (which I have set to re-center BOTH ClodPIE and Opentrack) to get all axes properly centered. If, for instance, X or Z axis is not centered properly, some functions of ClodPIE won't work properly. It helps a lot if you hold still while centering--if you are moving at all some axes may be offcentered.

JOYSTICK
    Hat switch - Shift view left/right/up/down

Button 3 - Lean to gunsight and hold (toggle)

NOTE: ClodPIE will generally choose the default joystick for input. You can
    customize this--see customization section in included README file.
    ---

Full installation & customization instructions included in the .zip file in this README file:

README-ClodPIE.txt

Download here - includes all files & packages you need (except CLOD, of course!):

CLOD-EDTracker-View-Movement-Enhancement-Ver11-2016-12.zip
    Last edited by TWC_Flug; Dec-25-2016 at 17:00. Reason: New version, 1.1

5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Re: Cliffs of Dover/EDTracker View & Movement Enhancement with FreePIE

Last edited by BOO; Dec-27-2016 at 04:49.
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

" Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Last edited by BOO; Dec-27-2016 at 04:50.
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

4. Likes farley liked this post
    Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    130.02 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Boosterdog View Post
    3) I had to install the freePIE program (i dont think you mention this in the readme).

4) the bat file didnt start anything (maybe down to me putting somthing somewhere different)
    Thanks for your feedback, Boo. I'll try going through the whole installation process on a different machine using the download file and see how that works on my end.

But my general thoughts based on how things *should* work (not necessarily how they ARE working):

- You may not have the FreePIE script running & sending its input to Opentrack. Make sure the input in Opentrack is set to "vJoy" not EDTracker. The general behavior you are describing sounds to me like FreePIE isn't operating right. Do any of the buttons work (besides Z)? 1-2-q-w-a-s CapsLock & LeftShift should all do something pretty noticeable.

- The bat file should work IF it is in the same directory with BOTH of these files:
    #1. FreePIE.exe
    #2. edtracker-to-vjoy11.py

- If you copy the FreePIE directory in the zip file to somewhere to your hard drive, that is all the installation needed for FreePIE. You don't also need to download & install FreePIE. If you do that, now you have two separate copies of FreePIE installed. This is not necessarily a terrible thing, but it could be confusing.

- The error that "dlls dont match in the FreePIE software (216 instead of 218)" is an indication that a 2nd instance of FreePIE is running and that is monopolizing the vJoy drivers. If you exit all your instances of FreePIE (and then use taskmanager to make sure no more instances of "FreePIE" are running--kill any that are) you should be able to start a new FreePIE instance up and not have that error any more

Thanks & Merry Christmas to you!

6. Likes farley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    374.72 MB

Hey guys,

This sounds great and I will hive it a go. Any chance the the complete setup turns into a profile that I can use.

Im not that technical, so anything that makes thevprocess simpler is a bonus for me

Cheers,

Pattle

8. Likes SD_MBen liked this post
    Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    130.02 MB

OK, there is an updated version now, ClodPIE 1.1, that fixes a number of the issues that Boo mentioned, mostly having to do with installation:

CLOD-EDTracker-View-Movement-Enhancement-Ver11-2016-12.zip

Also, I made some updates so that:

- ClodPIE will work without an EDTracker. This means that folks without an EdTracker or similar should be able to use the various keys/buttons for movement enhancements. You lose all the EDTracker features of course, but a number of other features are still very useful.

- ClodPIE will (generally) detect and use your default joystick (for button/hat input) without any fuss. If you want to keep Windows from getting confused, you can still go in & customize the joystick name.

FYI, I updated the link in the OP to this new version as well.
    Last edited by TWC_Flug; Dec-25-2016 at 17:00.

Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    130.02 MB

3) I had to install the freePIE program (i dont think you mention this in the readme).

4) the bat file didnt start anything (maybe down to me putting somthing somewhere different)

5) I had to select "Script" and then run the correct script in freePIE before anything happened in Opentrack 2.3

6) When i did i couldnt get the Z function (the one eye closed thing) to work at all.

7) Theres a warning that the dlls dont match in the FreePIE software (216 instead of 218).
    These were all related to the way I had the install set up in Ver 1.0 and are all fixed in Ver. 1.1. I was trying to use FreePIE's "portable installation" function. However, as we discovered, this doesn't work if you put FreePIE anywhere on disk C:.

What happens is that when you ran the .bat file FreePIE starts but then gets stuck. No window displays at all. Thus FreePIE didn't work, but even when you installed it properly it still didn't work because the old/malfunctioning version was still running.

Solution is close any FreePIE windows you can see, then run Task Manager (ctrl-shift-esc), look for any running FreePIE instances, and "End Task". Once all those FreePIE instances are gone, everything should work.

Suggest downloading the new Ver. 1.1 of ClodPIE and installing that instead. (Of course you don't need to reinstall FreePIE, Opentrack, vJoy, etc but just copy the new "ClodPIE" directory to an appropriate place and proceed with this.

9) OT 2.3 says its using Accela but i noticed the freePIE script says you are using EMWA. - This is very important to me and here is why - ----

10) Whatever filter you are using and/or whatever you have done to it ITS FANTASTIC - Clod has always been a bit jittery with EDTracker no matter what i have tried but whether its 2.3, the filter, your tweaks or a combination of everything the tracking is really really accurate and smooth. Thank you!
    This is a little discovery I made, and it really does help A LOT. The key is setting the Rotation Deadzone. This isn't part of ClodPIE per se and anyone who is using Opentrack could benefit from this little tweak.

I added this bit to the documentation:

Accela Filter with Rotation Deadzone set to 0.11 degrees stops
    EDTracker jitter at high magnifications. This helps immensely with identifying
    aircraft at long distances. You can experiment with the Rotation Deadzone
    setting if you like--settings as low as 0.02 or 0.05 degrees may be effective.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    130.02 MB

Once i ran the installed freePIE and ran the script manually, the 12qwas commands take effect as does the F1 but no Z key command. The instant ups and downs, lefts and rights assigned by the keys and hat dont really get on with me which is why i changed the transitions to back to the EDtracker inputs in the opentrack software (still keeping vjoy as the input device). For me, if the forward and upward movement of the camera could be assigned to a spare axis (twist stick or finger rocker on the throttle) that would be super but how and if that can be done i dont know. Im also not sure how changing the assignment of the OT axis then affects everything else.
    The filtering to x,y,z axes that ClodPIE does is actually quite similar to what you can do in Opentrack natively, just by assigning (for example) yaw to the X axis & entering the appropriate map in Opentrack.

However, what you can do in FreePIE is quite a lot more sophisticated because you can tweak things programmatically. Biggest advantage is in looking back. With Opentrack you can set it to move left or right when you look back, helping see around the tail a bit. But ClodPIE looks left/right and additionally moves your head forward (which is impossible to do in Opentrack--you can do left/right OR forward/back but not both). Result is quite an improved view looking backwards.

If you don't like the keys, just edit to remove them. Like find these sections of ClodPIE11.py:

Code:
    	def ResetKey(): return keyboard.getKeyDown(Key.F1) #resets all modes (except ME109 mode); I set this to be the same as my Opentrack reset key
    	def LeantoKey(): return keyboard.getKeyDown(Key.A)
    	def PreventLeantoKey(): return keyboard.getKeyDown(Key.S)
    	def PreventLeantoToggleKey(): return keyboard.getPressed(Key.LeftShift)
    	def VibrateLeantoToggleKey(): return keyboard.getPressed(Key.Z)
    	def ME109ToggleKey(): return ( keyboard.getKeyDown(Key.LeftControl) and keyboard.getPressed(Key.D9))  #Ctrl-9 for 109 mode

def LeantoToggleKey(): return keyboard.getPressed(Key.CapsLock) or (joystickinput and joystickinput.getPressed(2))
    	def UpKey(): return keyboard.getKeyDown(Key.D1) or jipov >= 31500 or ( jipov <= 4500 and jipov >=0 )
    	def DownKey(): return keyboard.getKeyDown(Key.D2) or (jipov >= 13500 and jipov <= 22500)

def LeftKey(): return keyboard.getKeyDown(Key.Q) or (jipov >= 22500 and jipov <= 31500)
    	def RightKey(): return keyboard.getKeyDown(Key.W)  or (jipov >= 4500 and jipov <= 13500)
    Edit those two sections to look like this and save:

Code:
    	def ResetKey(): return keyboard.getKeyDown(Key.F1) #resets all modes (except ME109 mode); I set this to be the same as my Opentrack reset key
    	def LeantoKey(): return 0
    	def PreventLeantoKey(): return 0
    	def PreventLeantoToggleKey(): return 0
    	def VibrateLeantoToggleKey(): return 0
    	def ME109ToggleKey(): return ( keyboard.getKeyDown(Key.LeftControl) and keyboard.getPressed(Key.D9))  #Ctrl-9 for 109 mode

def LeantoToggleKey(): return (joystickinput and joystickinput.getPressed(2))
    	def UpKey(): return 0
    	def DownKey(): return 0

def LeftKey(): return 0
    	def RightKey(): return 0
    That disables almost all of the keyboard shortcuts, leaving you with reset/re-center (F1), ctrl-9 to enter ME109 mode, and one joystick button to enter/exit lean-to-gunsight mode.

(You can change the number of the joystick button via joystickinput.getPressed(0), joystickinput.getPressed(1), or whatever you want. You could also change this to a keyboard key.)

I find the improved lean-to-gunsight, which you can enter & leave with the press of a button, the most helpful. I have used the "EDtracker lean-forward-to-gunsight" scheme for over a year now, but the button really does work better.
    Last edited by TWC_Flug; Dec-25-2016 at 16:55.

Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    130.02 MB

I think the link is broken Flug.
    Thanks--fixed now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Last edited by BOO; Dec-27-2016 at 04:51.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    374.72 MB

Thanks Boo.

Long time no see.

Will wait for you guys to sort it, as your collective pms are i a difference lingo than I comprehend

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Last edited by BOO; Dec-27-2016 at 04:51.

18. Likes ATAG_Pattle liked this post
    Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    130.02 MB

Here is one issue that can arise with ClodPIE:

* Because you have installed a new joystick driver (vJoy), the numbering of joysticks in CloD may be disrupted, ruining your control profiles. Even worse, your force feedback joystick may stop working, because vJoy is a force feedback-capable joystick & CloD only works with one joystick for force feedback--the first one it encounters in Windows' joystick list. Usually, vJoy is listed first and so it disrupts force feedback.

There is a simple solution to both of these problems, allowing you to specify the order joysticks will be presented to CLOD, and even allow certain joysticks to be ignored by CLOD entirely, outlined here:

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.co...302#post250302

Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    130.02 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Pattle View Post
    Any chance the the complete setup turns into a profile that I can use.
    Well, yes & no. The whole reason I came up with this scheme to tweak the input to Opentrack, thus giving greater control over the pilot view movements in CloD, is because CloD itself doesn't really provide the functionality to do this (easily, at all) in game.

By providing this mod, we prove that this type of movement in-game is:

• Possible
    • Useful

The core of ClodPIE could be implemented with about seven new Key Assignments in CloD's Controls Options screen under "Camera" or "View":

• Move Left
    • Move Right
    • Move Up
    • Move Down
    • Move Forward
    • Move Back
    • Lock Forward

Then people could assign keys to these functions if they want, or just ignore them if they want.

For my part, after using the movement controls for just a few days I am completely convinced of their value.

21. Likes ATAG_Pattle liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    938.46 MB

How do I know that the .bat file has executed properly? Had some issues as I have an Edtracker2 and needed to rename in a few locations. Also when I set Opentrack to the vjoy input it doesn't register any movement, though setting as Edtracker works fine.
    Last edited by 9./JG52 Sturm; Dec-29-2016 at 07:13.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

I think James must have deleted the "please" and "Thank-you" from his post when editing it. Im sure it was a genuine mistake....

24. Likes HenryLuebberstedt liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    938.46 MB

I think James must have deleted the "please" and "Thank-you" from his post when editing it. Im sure it was a genuine mistake....
    Literally fired off this message in about 2-mins, if anyone can shed light on my issues they'll get many a thank you!

So far have installed vjoy, drivers, opentrack 2.3, edited 2 config files with my input device names. When I execute the bat file a cmd window opens for a fraction of a second then disappears.

UPDATE: I believe I've got it to work with few minor problems; FREEPIE does give a .dll error message even though I've checked it's the only instance running. Also it's still giving me a message about the default joystick being used even though I've added 'VKBsim Gladiator' to the config file. Any suggestions as to how I could solve these problems would be appreciated (especially the joystick).

James
    Last edited by 9./JG52 Sturm; Dec-29-2016 at 10:51.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Here's a video showing how this work in game?
    Last edited by 1lokos; Dec-29-2016 at 11:25.

Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    130.02 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Jameswgm View Post
    How do I know that the .bat file has executed properly? Had some issues as I have an Edtracker2 and needed to rename in a few locations. Also when I set Opentrack to the vjoy input it doesn't register any movement, though setting as Edtracker works fine.
    If the .bat file is working correctly, you should see FreePIE start up, you should see the script in the window, and when you click in the window there isn't really any response (because FreePIE is running the script, not letting you edit it). If you click on "script" in the FreePIE window you should see "Run Script" greyed out & "stop Script" bright white, indicating that the script is running.

You don't need ot use the .bat file--it is just a convenience for quick start. Just load the script file in FreePIE & run it with the menu or F5.

vJoy has some utilities included that allow you to see what it is doing. If freepie is working correctly, when you move your EdTracker you should see axes in vJoy move, too.

Also you can open up your "game controllers" settings in control panel. There I see EdTracker Pro, vJoy device, and my regular joystick. If FreePIE is working, if you click on "properties" for vJoy Device (while FreePIE is running) I can move the various axes of the vJoy by moving my EdTracker, pushing the various movement buttons set up in FreePIE (1,2,q,w,a,s, joystick buttons etc).

All those are indications you can look at to see if FreePIE is doing its thing correctly.

Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    130.02 MB

I made this screenshot to show how the vJoy axes must be set up in OpenTrack in order for ClodPIE to work correctly.

ClodPIE works fine with either OpenTrack 2.2 or 2.3--it's just a matter of getting Opentrack set up right. The trickiest part is getting the x, y, z, yaw, pitch, and roll in Opentrack mapped to the correct joystick axes, as shown in this screencap.

ClodPIE-opentrack-settings-2016-12.jpg

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    938.46 MB

Quote Originally Posted by flug View Post
    I made this screenshot to show how the vJoy axes must be set up in OpenTrack in order for ClodPIE to work correctly.

ClodPIE works fine with either OpenTrack 2.2 or 2.3--it's just a matter of getting Opentrack set up right. The trickiest part is getting the x, y, z, yaw, pitch, and roll in Opentrack mapped to the correct joystick axes, as shown in this screencap.

ClodPIE-opentrack-settings-2016-12.jpg
    Cheers for those explanations, as a result I've got everything working aside from joystick input; My default is not my flight stick and despite changing the name to my flight stick's designation in control panel it still doesn't want to recognise it, is there likely to be a reason for this? Set the joy input to 'VKBsim Gladiator' but it still reverts to the default. I'm going to try an input integer rather than name but it seems odd that changing the Edtracker name worked fine, but joy doesn't.

Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    130.02 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Jameswgm View Post
    Cheers for those explanations, as a result I've got everything working aside from joystick input; My default is not my flight stick and despite changing the name to my flight stick's designation in control panel it still doesn't want to recognise it, is there likely to be a reason for this? Set the joy input to 'VKBsim Gladiator' but it still reverts to the default. I'm going to try an input integer rather than name but it seems odd that changing the Edtracker name worked fine, but joy doesn't.
    Where is your joystick not showing up/working? In CloD?

Just possibly, this might be your solution: Thread on "why are my joysticks scrambled AGAIN" under Windows 10.

Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    130.02 MB

FYI I've been using this solution for over 2 months now, since posting the OP, and I have to say I love it. It's a better experience in every way. I feel like I can SEE, without my eyes being stuck right behind some annoying bar all of the time.

The most benefits come in an aircraft like the Hurricane, which has a lot of crosspieces and the like in its windows. The least benefit comes in a few CloD aircraft (the HE-111 springs to mind) where, for some reason and despite a huge, spacious cabin that would be easy to move about in, in real life, designers have chosen to put the pilot's head basically on a swivel and you can't move just left/right/forward/back/up/down no matter what you do. But, that is a very specific a/c design decision and not really a general problem with the scheme itself.

Also, the same basic solution works in CloD, DCS, and FlightGear, based on actual testing. You might want to change the keyboard layout a bit just to avoid key conflicts specific to each sim. But overall, it works. (And as I pointed out above, you get 95% of the benefits from the headtracking alone--part of the beauty of this set up is most of the time you don't even NEED the keys. You just look where you want to see, and you can see--almost all the time (the exception is when there is a bar or wing or whatever in front of your face--that it is where you start looking for the keys to jog you one way or the other a bit.)

Presumably the same general scheme would work in any flight sim or similar type gaming situation.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    938.46 MB

Quote Originally Posted by flug View Post
    Where is your joystick not showing up/working? In CloD?

Just possibly, this might be your solution: Thread on "why are my joysticks scrambled AGAIN" under Windows 10.
    The joystick is not recognised in FREEPIE. Fine in CloD and Windows, it's as if the joystick name I've input is not recognised even though I've copied it directly from control panel.