Thread: Skinning colour space AdobeRGB1998 or sRGB ?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.63 GB

Skinning colour space AdobeRGB1998 or sRGB ?

Hi,
    About to try my hand at skinning and stuck at first hurdle some may not even be aware of., unless they do colour work and graphics in a serious pro way.

Should skins have an sRGB profile embedded or an AdobeRGB1998 profile ? This dictates the colour we see and what colour space we should work in when editing them.

opening up a Cpt Farrel skin, Photoshop says convert to working colour space AdobeRGB1998 or dont colour manage. That is saying its not been created in AdobeRGB1998 and saved as such.

I have my graphics, photo-library, photo-editing, video editing, CAD etc workstation PC setup as most who do this work have it, as AdobeRGB1998 as is the Digital SLR (DSLR) and scanner. We are told sRGB is wrong, must be AdobeRGB1998 for accurate and serious colour work, photography etc.

My monitor is calibrated (new Eizo has a pop up device that does this, used to use a Spyder3) to 6500K AdobeRGB1998 and Photoshop has AdobeRGB1998 selected.

So clearly CptFarrels skin is not the same colour space.

Can I create skins in AdobeRGB1998 colour space ?

Does the sim run in sRGB or AdobeRGB1998. My gut feeling is they went with the mundane standard for Joe Public before Joe P get wise to the colour space thing.

If I design to AdobeRGB1998 will I get to see how it looks for other flight simmers ?

Does my monitor fly the sim in sRGB yet show me AdobeRGB1998 for Photoshop ? Surely if its only calibrated to 6500K AdobeRGB1998 it will portray colours as such ?

I would imagine many simmers dont even run a calibrated monitor if they dont use it for their day job of graphics etc., so it wont be AdobeRGB1998.

But what should the sim have skins colour profile as ?

I open a skinners file in mediaInfo prog and colour space is YUV, google says this YUV is for video cards.

I open a jpg saved in Photoshop AdobeRGB1998 mode and it also is YUV, a photoshop file is said to be RGB by the same prog. I open a few more skinners files, all ask for permission to convert to AdobeRGB1998 so what colour space are they worked on and saved as ?

Furthermore I have just created RGB values for all the Luftwaffe colour charts I have, Merrick, Kookaburra, Ullman etc. as AdobeRGB1998. One reason to create colour profiles in photoshop, which must be AdobeRGB1998 for correct colour printing, also to create skins from.

BOBC
    Last edited by BOBC; Dec-30-2016 at 15:16.