Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: VirPil MongoosT-50 HOTAS

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    45.68 MB

Re: VirPil MongoosT-50 HOTAS

Well, it's underway
    Je Maintiendrai

PC Specs: Intel I5 8600k @4.8 Ghz/ Aorus Z390 Pro / Gigabyte RTX3060ti OC 8Gb @ 1905Mhz/ Corsair BX 2x16Gb @3200Mhz
    XPG Spectrix S40G, 256GB NVMe / Kingston A2000 1TB NVMe / Startech PEXUSB3S44V 4port USB 3.1 PCIe
    Asus VG278HE / Oculus Rift / Virpil MT50 Mongoost T50cm Stick and T50 Throttle / Saitek Combat Rudders / 2x Thrustmaster MFD Cougar

"I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears, sweat and the occasional witty comment"

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

OK...

so i orderd... no... not the throtttle...

I ordered another desk hanger and the base plate for the warthog throttle.

Anyone else doing this just a heads up....

you dont need the base plate

its is exactly the same as the one on your warthog other than that it doesnt have the four countersunk screw holes in to fix it to the desk hanger.

You could just drill and countersink them yourself and get some countersunk machine screws and save yourself a few quid!!

incidentally..,. the warthog unit already has TWO base plates as it come... one bolted to the other... so if you screw it up you get a second go !!

I now have a spare base plate for a warthog because nobody needs three !!!

if anyone needs one PM me !

Last edited by ATAG_Highseas; Sep-01-2018 at 08:03.

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    45.68 MB

Fixed, somehow it recognized the throttle the next day for no apparent reason and I could update the firmware

Damn, can't get my throttle to fire up
    It simply isn't recognized as the device it's supposed to be

Not the right name for a throttle.jpg

...and now to hunt down another problem
    Last edited by Nightdare; Sep-04-2018 at 16:19.
    Je Maintiendrai

PC Specs: Intel I5 8600k @4.8 Ghz/ Aorus Z390 Pro / Gigabyte RTX3060ti OC 8Gb @ 1905Mhz/ Corsair BX 2x16Gb @3200Mhz
    XPG Spectrix S40G, 256GB NVMe / Kingston A2000 1TB NVMe / Startech PEXUSB3S44V 4port USB 3.1 PCIe
    Asus VG278HE / Oculus Rift / Virpil MT50 Mongoost T50cm Stick and T50 Throttle / Saitek Combat Rudders / 2x Thrustmaster MFD Cougar

"I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears, sweat and the occasional witty comment"

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    45.68 MB

Well, after some time, I guess I can give this a mini-review
    Bear in mind I'm not a joystick connoisseur and since my previous sticks were the G940 and X-55, the bar to which to compare isn't set very high.

I'll leave looks aside, because those are 100% subjective (though I do smile at the fact that there is purple, yellow, light blue and white apart from the standard RGB).

-Let's start with ergonomics:

I've got average sized hands, and (with both throttles locked) on the grip, I can reach and operate the pinky button and the lower hat with some effort at the same time.
    Smaller hands would need to stretch a little more, but you don't need that much bigger hands to work the entire gamut of buttons without any effort.
    Throttles fully forward, your can work the 3rd lever with your thumb, while remaining in contact with the grips, but half way/pulled back you're gonna have to let go,
    whereas fully back it's possible to work the momentaries, "big yellow" and the covered momentary with little effort, lower 4 pushbuttons with a bit more, upper 4 push and the right-side toggles with some more effort than that
    and the 5way, rotaries and dials are not really feasible to use while still being in contact with the grips.
    So far I've not found myself wrestling with the buttons on the right side of the grip either, even though you have to go "over" the 4way hat to reach the rear/lower ones.

The base is gonna take some more getting used to.
    It's very easy to 'feel' the wrong pushbuttons or the momentary switches below them, since they don't have much recognizing features (This is where the X-55 "bars" between its lower momentaries make perfect sense).
    The right-side toggles are awkwardly close together when the top one is down and the bottom one is up.
    And I would've liked to have seen the 5way in one of the lower corners.

What is a love/hate relationship is the covered momentary: First of all, I love these kind of switches.
    ...but I REALLY would have liked to have this one switched position with the toggles on its right side, since it interferes with easy operation of the toggles, (this and the 5way kind of "Isolate" the toggles),
    but I know this would interfere with the 3rd lever (moving the 3rd lever an inch upward would clear its travel).

And I don't know what to think of the fact of the covered momentary being a momentary switch instead of a toggle, I guess it gives 1 more switch option?
    (In CloD, I have set "up" for bail out, "down" plus "Big Yellow" as contact/engine start, so "down" works as a safety switch, not allowing ignition with the cover up,
    so no risk of knocking it upward mid-flight and ending up bailing out, since I'm forced to have the cover down if I ever want to get airborne).
    Maybe -if possible, I'll physically switch it with one of the toggles, so I can have canopy and landing gear together on the layout (since, when flying a Hurricane, I need repeating commands to operate the gear).

Not so much trouble on the grip though, those buttons are not only easily accessible, but their location is pretty intuitive as well.
    Searching, or mistaking one for the other shouldn't happen much (if at all).
    I did notice when pulling on the 5way hat, the push button in it, tends to get triggered (since forward/backward is my zoom in CloD, and the push is 90° view, this can get distracting).

-Next up, the feel:

Starting with the throttle axes, everything feels very solid, the throttles could perhaps use a bit more travel, but as it is, I've found them to be pretty accurate to move.
    Oh, the throttle detents? I LOVE them!
    Admittedly, you need a bit of discipline, since enthusiastic use of the throttle will make you push through them with ease, but they are definitely noticeable.
    They also have an inherent 2%-3% physical deadzone (keep this in mind when setting up an axis switch).
    Side note: since I also use this for Elite and Star Citizen I've set 2 detents to 50% for forward/backwards operation, whereas in CloD I've got 1 grip on 75% prop (75% physical) and the other on 100% throttle (86% physical
    with 88% physical being the axis switch for Boost Cut-out)

the 3rd lever I did add a little Velcro (the woolly sided) on the side to create a bit of drag along the edge of the base, since it had a VERY smooth throw and unlike the throttles, no option to tighten it up, so it was hard to be accurate with it.

Which brings me to the resistance that can be applied to the throttles, the bolt that sets the drag has a very short turn, from loose to tight may take as little as half a turn, IMO a good thing because freewheeling my X-55 resistance wheel
    for a butt load of turns was overkill (without much change in between) and I'm not under the impression that this small tolerance is difficult to finetune.
    I haven't tried to see what the extremes are, but on the lowest friction I had it, I would almost say that blowing on it would've probably moved the throttle and the tightest I had it, would give me a nice left arm workout flying for a few hours .
    Another thing about the friction is that unlocked, both throttles appear to give equal resistance compared to each other, which in locked state, made the increase in resistance negligible.
    And that brings me to the lock, which overall is great, but I'd love a bit more secure 'hook', it takes very little effort to push it down and with it's good spring makes a disconcerting slamming effect.

With the base dials, they are smooth and solid with noticeable center detents, but the dials require a little more deadzone because of that, since just a tad over center they have the habit of physically jumping back to 50%.
    The grip dial is less noticeable, and the throw is just a little bit too long to go from 0-100% in one motion.

The switches and buttons on the base have a little play in them, the biggest being the 5way and Big Yellow. (the momentary/toggle switches only have sideways play)
    All pushbuttons have a very tactile feel, with the 8 buttons and big yellow feeling a little loose, but the rotaries and all buttons on the grips are very solid, it's also nice that they used a different knob for the middle rotary,
    making identification "on the feel" much easier.

-Software/Programming:

This is where I'm gonna leave you guys hanging, because my "Mini review" became so long, it's now 4 hours since I started and that was at 2:00 am
    and because I'm stil mostly unfamiliar with the software, I'm gonna have to thoroughly think through how I'm gonna word it.
    Je Maintiendrai

5. Likes ATAG_Vampire, Bonditaria, farley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    2.82 GB

using software called "AntiMicro" to assign keyboard/mouse commands/sequences to game-controller axes/buttons https://github.com/AntiMicro/antimicro

ASUS TUF Gaming A15 FA507NV, AMD Ryzen 7 7735HS CPU, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Laptop GPU, 8 GB GDDR6 VRAM, 16 GB DDR5 RAM, 512 GB SSD, Windows 11 Home 23H2, VPC MongoosT-50 Throttle, VKB Gladiator Pro, MFG Crosswind, Wheel Stand Pro, EIZO CS240, Track-IR 5

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

And I don't know what to think of the fact of the covered momentary being a momentary switch instead of a toggle, I guess it gives 1 more switch option?
    T50 Throttle covered switch is (MON)-OFF-(MON), but the cover keep this switch in their lower position pressed, then act like a ON-OFF-(MON) switch, both positions (up/down) is set* for briefly press an button in ON and OFF state.

* Switches, buttons behavior can be changed with VPC (Firmware) Configurator Light software.

You can set "Mode" switch to press new logical buttons (~55 to 96 positions is empty), and use then like a sequential 5 positions switch.
    Last edited by 1lokos; Sep-22-2018 at 10:33.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Nightdare View Post
    This is where I'm gonna leave you guys hanging, because my "Mini review" became so long
    You didn't say if you like it !

Nice review !

I think you covered most of it.

Im using a warthog throttle (which is why I diddnt go Virpil there as well)

(though i did buy another of their desk hangers for it)

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

So mine bricked. On the evening of the Moth shoot up #2 and 3 days before Highseas Tour X.

and a week on... after the rep has tried remotely (last week) to un brick it, I am still trying to get any futher assiatance.

It apparently needs the head software engineer to remotely look at it as well.

depsite the fact that his representative has already done this and failed to make any progress.

or i can post it back to Lithuania (fully insured by parcel force is £40) and I would have to pay that.

The head guy seems to communicate only by Skype. I don't. hence we have had by now a five liner message from me and a one liner from him.

Aside from that I'm really not happy with giving control of my PC over mutiple times after it has already been established by his staff that the thing is dead.

I'm not happy that the initially very proactive assiatnce has vanished after it could not be repaird remotely.

I'm seriously fed up with Virpil now.

Will update as we go along.

Right now I REALLY wish I'd kept my VKB Gunfighter
    Last edited by ATAG_Highseas; Jan-08-2019 at 21:14.

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    365.25 MB

What’s exactly is it doing?

Little story, I recently came to the conclusion that my Warthog was “bricked” There was much sadness and tears. I shelled out the coin for a brand new Virpil T50 Mongoose straight away. (One does not mourn the dead for long). Great expenses and the inevitable wait for it to arrive from Lithuania. (Actually much quicker than expected).

So the T50 M arrives, I give it a quick flight, (much joy) then the following day after playing around with the extension pipe beneath, the T50M goes the way of the Dodo. Exact same symptoms as the Warthog. (Much Rage)

It turns out the Warthog is fine, the T50M is fine, the $12.50 15cm 5 din Connecting lead however which runs up inside the Extension pipe from the base the handle is porked.

What gave it away? No buttons working other than firing button which showed all 28 or so buttons lit up when depressed. I pulled both sticks apart and the 15cm connecting lead. Nothing visible in either, yet the sticks worked ok on the base alone (Stubborn refusal not to fly without extension being my main issue). Soon as I put that lead on, all went pear shaped.

So about $600.00 spent when $12.00 was required. Now two good sticks, no extension and a secret to be kept at all costs from the wife..
    https://imgur.com/VCUiXpY

11. Likes ATAG_Highseas, ATAG_Knight, farley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by TWC_Sp00k View Post
    What’s exactly is it doing?

Little story, I recently came to the conclusion that my Warthog was “bricked” There was much sadness and tears. I shelled out the coin for a brand new Virpil T50 Mongoose straight away. (One does not mourn the dead for long). Great expenses and the inevitable wait for it to arrive from Lithuania. (Actually much quicker than expected).

So the T50 M arrives, I give it a quick flight, (much joy) then the following day after playing around with the extension pipe beneath, the T50M goes the way of the Dodo. Exact same symptoms as the Warthog. (Much Rage)

It turns out the Warthog is fine, the T50M is fine, the $12.50 15cm 5 din Connecting lead however which runs up inside the Extension pipe from the base the handle is porked.

What gave it away? No buttons working other than firing button which showed all 28 or so buttons lit up when depressed. I pulled both sticks apart and the 15cm connecting lead. Nothing visible in either, yet the sticks worked ok on the base alone (Stubborn refusal not to fly without extension being my main issue). Soon as I put that lead on, all went pear shaped.

So about $600.00 spent when $12.00 was required. Now two good sticks, no extension and a secret to be kept at all costs from the wife..
    its bricked.

tried it straight to base ... all maner of aternative cables.

This was before i started talking to Virpil for help.

all my kit, all cables etc are direct froim Virpil.

I have tried the newest software... no joy,

a beta version ofered by Virpil... no joy

I have had (one of their guys) remotely try and sort it. No Joy.

and after it has already been established it isn't working I'm now being told the head guy needs to remotely check it. But he seems to be unavailable during my waking hours (when I'm at work anyway).

apparently doesnt communicate other than via skype.

Seriously fed up. Just want them to replace the damn thing. At no cost to me.

right now im very very unhappy.

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

And its FIXED !

Just spent the past half hour with the head honcho at Virpil.

My stick is fixed. Some bizzare issue with Windows 10.

It's all up and running and accepting all versions of the firmware I throw at it.

Also got a few choice tips on teh Analogue brake lever build i was on about for teh warthog grip...

(More on that later)

YEY !!!

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    2.82 GB

That's great 'Seas. I imagine you're singing this song holding your virpil like sir cliff holding a mike!

ASUS TUF Gaming A15 FA507NV, AMD Ryzen 7 7735HS CPU, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Laptop GPU, 8 GB GDDR6 VRAM, 16 GB DDR5 RAM, 512 GB SSD, Windows 11 Home 23H2, VPC MongoosT-50 Throttle, VKB Gladiator Pro, MFG Crosswind, Wheel Stand Pro, EIZO CS240, Track-IR 5

15. Likes ATAG_Highseas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    365.25 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Highseas View Post
    And its FIXED !

Just spent the past half hour with the head honcho at Virpil.

My stick is fixed. Some bizzare issue with Windows 10.

It's all up and running and accepting all versions of the firmware I throw at it.

Also got a few choice tips on teh Analogue brake lever build i was on about for teh warthog grip...

(More on that later)

YEY !!!
    Hmmm did you calibrate the Virpil with Windows?
    https://imgur.com/VCUiXpY

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Nope.

I have no idea why it happened. Its all fixed now though.

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

18. Likes Dazza liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Just to follow this one up again...

As I dont want to leave a negative!

I definitely had some frustration on this. But I think actually that was as much to do with me and my life right now as anything else.

Virpil have been superb.

The technical guy telling me multiple times that I should really wait until the head guy was back from holiday... despite how inconvenient

Well he was right. So hats off to him for saying it more than once.

Kind of kicking myself a bit for being so impatient. and possibly a bit of an arse.

It's not a normal trait of mine. (not the first bit at any rate )

Bottom line:

Virpil are in my opinion pretty damned awesome.

always said it about their kit.

now saying it about their customer care...

It's not an instant response.

But its very very good.

hopefully record set straight.

'Seas

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

20. Likes ATAG_Vampire, Nightdare liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123