Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    370.25 MB

Land of Mine

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Re: Land of Mine

This film stretches the truth a long way.

The facts:

- The Germans put nearly 1.5 million mines in Denmark... they were responsible for the mess.

- After Denmark’s liberation there was a meeting between Maj. Holland Stanley of the British army, a number of Danish officers and the German commander in Denmark, Gen. Georg Lindemann, at which it was decided that German soldiers with experience in defusing mines would be in charge of clearing the mine fields. Lindemann agreed to order soldiers from the German engineering corps who were already on their way home to return to Denmark and help clear the mines. Theoretically they were not prisoners of war at the time.

- The Germans were the best equipped to remove them... the soldiers used to remove the mines were mostly Pioneers who had laid them in the first place... not green recruits as shown in the film... they knew the mine's characteristics and best ways to remove them. To assign inexperienced Danish personnel would have resulted in much higher casualties.

- The Germans were supplied with former Wehrmacht tanks and vehicles to use in the removal. Whenever possible not removing them by hand.

- Unlike in the film, the mine removers were directly supervised by German NCO's and Officers, Danes were only the high level command.

- Losses were 149 killed, 165 seriously injured and 167 slightly injured out of 2600 soldiers assigned... approx. 10% over 2 years... typical casualty rates for wartime WWII.

- Yes, theoretically prisoners of war were not supposed to be used in dangerous tasks... but it was a situation created by an aggressive war launched by Germany... Sh*t happens.

Details including pictures:

http://www.missing-lynx.com/library/...ne/denmine.htm
    Last edited by RAF74_Buzzsaw; Jan-10-2017 at 13:39.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

It is correct, and this is why I never seen this movie. I have seen the trailer and figured it would piss me off. I am just too old for nonsense . WW2 need no added cruelty

4. Likes HenryLuebberstedt liked this post
    Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Geneva Convention of July 27, 1929.

Article 32: "It is forbidden to use prisoners of war at unhealthful or dangerous work."

Looks like there is no shortage of apologists for War crimes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

We're wandering into a whole new minefield here that falls outside the scope of this forum. To be sure, a nasty and tragic business for all involved.

Thanks to all for contributing.

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

7. Likes farley liked this post